Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bloody meat

On 2007-07-17, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> My only toothed knife is a 5" blade tomato knife.

*GASP*

I doesn't "tear" the tomato? Amazing!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:47?pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood.

> I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
> done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)

You're right, my mistake.

>> Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath.

> Don't place her steak on her plate, place it on a different plate to
> rest for a few minutes and so that it can reabsorb some of it's
> juices. Steak should never be plated directly from the grill.
>
> Most steak houses murder steak, they don't permit it to rest, instead
> they place it directly on those awful preheated metal trenchers, so it
> can sit in a pool of it's own juices and stew. The best way (really
> the only way) to serve steak is on a wooden trencher, saves good
> knives too... NEVER EVER use serrated knives to cut steak (or any
> meat). Anyone owns those awful serrated steak knives toss them in the
> trash right now, they serve no useful purpose. If you're a meat eater
> invest in a set of wooden trenchers. If you're a crafts person it's
> easy to make your own, or contact a local cabinet/woodworking shop
> (that's what I did), or search <wooden plates> or <wooden steak
> plates>. Some folks just place a thin disk of hardwood into their
> dinnerware (like a charger set up). Or these look interesting, I'm
> very inclined to order a set: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH
>
> Sheldon

Thank you! Very good information.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> jjfjksdf wrote:
>
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood.

> You have it backwards, why don't you try eating your steak well done?
>
> Cook your steak the way you like it. If she likes her steak well done,
> why do you care? You can have a wonderful relationship, but you do not
> have to like the same things.
>
> Becca

I don't know. I think of it like trying to convince someone to drink
a microbrew instead of bud lite. Once they get exposed they will
probably like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf > wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:

>> I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
>> done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)

>You're right, my mistake.

I can picture a steak being removed from the heat, then emitting some
amount of liquid but continuing to cook without futher application
of heat and ending up well done.

Liquids don't boil until 212 degrees F, and a steak will be
quite well done at 160 or 170.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch Scherer wrote:
> "jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> Instead of being a jerk, why don't stop treating your wife like a child and
> let her eat the damned steak the way she likes it.

I'm trying to expose her to what many consider a better way to eat
steak. I'm not forcing it on her. Just trying to make it more
presentable. Gee now I wish I never wrote that I was being a
jerk and treating her like a child in my original post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf > wrote:

>Mitch Scherer wrote:

>> "jjfjksdf" > wrote in message

>>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

>> Instead of being a jerk, why don't stop treating your wife like a child and
>> let her eat the damned steak the way she likes it.

>I'm trying to expose her to what many consider a better way to eat
>steak. I'm not forcing it on her. Just trying to make it more
>presentable.

Another thought: try dry-aged beef. Some of the moisture is already
gone. It does not pool up as much stuff.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-18, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> A tomato doesn't have a grain.

Bread does.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:14:44 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
>> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
>> MU hahaha!

>I hear ya. My MIL is passionate about cooking things to hockey pucks. If
>it isn't as solid as a rock and blackened, it's no good. My husband and I
>like our meat cooked rare. We love to gross DH's mom out with our bloody
>meat. LOL.

My FIL used to cook steak ( 1/2" thick T-bones, usually) this way:

1) Take steak (cut from neighbor's old cow) out of the freezer and
remove butcher paper.

2) Place (frozen) steak in electric frying pan, and add 1/2" of water
to "get it started".

3) Put lid on frying pan. Turn on heat. Cook until water has
disappeared.

His description of the resulting meal was "Good eatin'!"

Farmers. Where would we be without them.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote
> I don't know. I think of it like trying to convince someone to drink
> a microbrew instead of bud lite. Once they get exposed they will
> probably like it.

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
>> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
>>> than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw.

>> Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
>> and serrated??

> Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp
> pointed teeth, like a saw blade.

And Double-D has angled 'teeth', but only Cutco makes them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>> jjfjksdf said...

>>> A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your
>>> steaks rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart
>>> instead of clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.
>>>

>> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
>> good, to me.
>> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
>> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
>> MU hahaha!

> I hear ya. My MIL is passionate about cooking things to hockey pucks. If
> it isn't as solid as a rock and blackened, it's no good. My husband and I
> like our meat cooked rare. We love to gross DH's mom out with our bloody
> meat. LOL.

Is she from England?

My mother was the same - I always thought it was some English thing.
That, and the fact that everything she cooked was really bland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf > wrote:
>I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

It's not blood.

It's not blood.

It's not blood.

It's mostly water and some fat.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
>Steve Wertz > wrote:
>>Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture
>>of steak.

They don't make ground beef; they do leave lines behind,
which some say adds surface area and therefore release
more flavor.

I prefer a straight knife.

>>You do need one for bread, though.

>Bread or tomatoes. Can't think of anything else offhand.

I don't.

But I keep my knives sharp.

Well, the exception would be very crusty bread with a very
delicate crumb.

Serrated knives are okay for tougher cuts of meat,
but sharp knives are better. Restaurants have to stock
serrated knives because 99% of the public grinds the blade
into the plate. But that's because the restaurant-standard
blades start out pretty dull and the meat starts out
pretty tough. Since the blade is serrated, it only loses its
points when it's mashed into the plate, so it will still
cut, albeit with a little more force. It stabilizes
at annoyingly dull, which is why every knife in the
restaurant is only just passably usable, forever.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>
>> >I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
>> >than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw.

>> Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
>> and serrated??

>Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp
>pointed teeth, like a saw blade.

Have you been sleeping with Sheldon?

Serrated has points with curved dips between them.

Scallopped has curved edges with pointed dips between them.

Periodicity on this is about 4 years.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>Every serrated knife I've ever seen had a wavy edge
>with rounded teeth. Have you never seen a knife
>like that?

Scalloped edges are rare. Steak knives with
serrated edges are legion. Bread knives, tomato
knives, etc.

Like this.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...knife_edge.jpg

>I've seen very few knives with sharp, pointed teeth.
>I have a paring knife like that, and my mom has
>an excellent bread knife like that purchased in
>Germany in the 1960's.

Do you mean a triangular tooth instead of a point
between two curved troughs?

That would be somewhat rare. Even on a saw.

Saws have teeth that are at an angle on the trailing edge
and perpendicular to the blade on the leading edge. That's
because they don't slice so much as chip, like a long
sequence of tiny chisels.

http://www.ellissaw.com/images/40.jpg
http://www.madehow.com/images/hpm_00..._0_img0139.jpg
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20846...es/087-600.png
(rip saw on left; crosscut on right)

They can also be slicers but on alternating sides of the
kerf, so they chip sideways as they're slicing the other
side from what the previous tooth sliced. But they're not
really slicers, as the teeth aren't flat so much as pyramidal.

This works to cut through tough parallel fibers in
materials that would bunch up and jam chisel-pointed teeth,
which is why it's used for crosscut saws.

A plain knife edge doesn't work in such materials because
the material won't spread to allow the thicker part of
the blade to pass through; it just grips the blade and
gets it stuck. You need to chip through the material,
and most importantly to make the chips a little wider
than the bulk of your blade.

Not much food you and I might cook needs that kind of
treatment, as a sharp knife or cleaver will handle just
about anything, so creating a kerf would be pointless.
The only exception I can think of is slicing big bone-in
primals into smaller pieces, which works best with a
bandsaw.

"Serrated", according to the Online Etymology dictionary,
comes from "serra", which means "saw", not tooth, and has
no further etymology.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
>On 2007-07-18, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>>
>> A tomato doesn't have a grain.

>Bread does.

(whacks you over head with crusty baguette)

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> A tomato doesn't have a grain.

<picturing The Scarecrow dressed up like a tomato, singing, "If I only had
a grain...">

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
>I can picture a steak being removed from the heat, then emitting some
>amount of liquid but continuing to cook without futher application
>of heat and ending up well done.

Yes. You remove meat before it reaches your desired
doneness, and the heat from the warmer meat on the outer
edges makes the meat on the inside warmer.

>Liquids don't boil until 212 degrees F, and a steak will be
>quite well done at 160 or 170.

It's ruined way before that.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>You are cutting them too soon.
>
>Let them "rest" for a bit after cooking.
>
>Personally, I'll either drink that "blood", or add it to stock prep in
>the freezer.

I like to wait only a minute while I plate, then dig in.

Then the juice runs out and I sop it up with potatoes
or bread. Still plenty in the meat.

Stir in a tiny bit of mashed potatoes, and the starch
makes gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> > good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
> > eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet
> > I live. MU hahaha!

> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
> but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.
>
> Becca

<lol> I hear ya.

I love Sashimi and I not only prefer rare steak, I've prepped steak
tartar with raw egg yolk for myself. ;-d

Yum!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
> > cybercat wrote:
> >
> > > I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> > > good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
> > > eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And
> > > yet I live. MU hahaha!

> > What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks
> > rare, but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the
> > difference.

> Beef is not fish. Rare meat is not raw.
>

> Brian

Depends on how rare it is... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Becca" > wrote in message
> > cybercat wrote:
> >
> >> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> >> good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
> >> eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet
> >> I live. MU hahaha!

> > What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare, but
> > they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.
> >

> I take it you eat sushi and sashimi.
>
> One big difference: texture. Raw fish is often slimy in a way raw
> beef could never be.
>
> Another: smell. The smell of raw fish is very different from that
> of cooked. Not so to me with beef.

I actually find that raw fish (most sashimi is tuna or salmon) smells
better than cooked.

For one thing, it has to be really fresh!

While I'm not fond of raw egg whites, raw egg yolks are the gods.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:41:04 -0500, Becca wrote:
>
> > What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
> > but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

> Other than one is slightly cooked cow. The other is mushy fish.
>
> -sw

If you have had mushy sashimi, it was not fresh.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> >You are cutting them too soon.
> >
> >Let them "rest" for a bit after cooking.
> >
> >Personally, I'll either drink that "blood", or add it to stock prep in
> >the freezer.

> I like to wait only a minute while I plate, then dig in.
>
> Then the juice runs out and I sop it up with potatoes
> or bread. Still plenty in the meat.
>
> Stir in a tiny bit of mashed potatoes, and the starch
> makes gravy.

Sounds good... but there are those that don't find it attractive. :-)
Personally, buttered sourdough is the best thing in the world for
sopping up steak "juice". ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote
> While I'm not fond of raw egg whites, raw egg yolks are the gods.

I love eggs over easy. But I would not like the yolks cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:28:17 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I love Sashimi and I not only prefer rare steak, I've prepped steak
>tartar with raw egg yolk for myself. ;-d
>
>Yum!

On a side note to this topic.
I was in the supermarket yesterday and in the meat cooler I saw
california rolls and other sushi. Thinking to my self, that i would
not buy it because I don't know when it was made or how long it sat on
the shelf.
On looking closer, I saw printed on the package, "fully cooked"
Now I'm not as much of a stickler on food names ( such as the
variations of alfredo sauce), but isn't the whole purpose of sushi,
raw fish?
And no this is not the start of an Alfredo thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> <lol> I hear ya.
>
> I love Sashimi and I not only prefer rare steak, I've prepped steak
> tartar with raw egg yolk for myself. ;-d
>
> Yum!

One of my friends joined me at a Japanese restaurant, he was willing to
try sushi for the first time. He took one bite, looked surprised and
said, "It's cold!" I never thought to mention that sushi was cold.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 8:58 am, Sheldon > wrote:
:http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH

> Sheldon

I guess people who use these don't care about really cleaning up
soaked-in bloody wooden dishes - certainly not dishwasher proof; same
as the clean up with their cats' asses sitting on counter tops - It
doesn't mattah!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 17, 8:58 am, Sheldon > wrote:
> :http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH
>>
>> Sheldon

> I guess people who use these don't care about really cleaning up
> soaked-in bloody wooden dishes - certainly not dishwasher proof; same
> as the clean up with their cats' asses sitting on counter tops - It
> doesn't mattah!
>
> Dee Dee

Is your life fun?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> > While I'm not fond of raw egg whites, raw egg yolks are the gods.

> I love eggs over easy. But I would not like the yolks cold.

Room temp.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Becca wrote:

> > > What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks
> > > rare, but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the
> > > difference.

> > Beef is not fish. Rare meat is not raw.

> Depends on how rare it is... ;-d

Well, if we down to carpaccio perhaps. I for one will happily eat raw
beef. When I'm slicing beef for stir-fry, several strips will
accidentally get salted and fall in my mouth.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-18, Pan Ohco > wrote:

> variations of alfredo sauce), but isn't the whole purpose of sushi,
> raw fish?

No. That shashimi. Sushi is basically marinated rice and there are all sorts
of variations including all veggie, cooked and raw seafood, etc.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pan Ohco wrote:

> Now I'm not as much of a stickler on food names ( such as
> the variations of alfredo sauce), but isn't the whole purpose
> of sushi, raw fish?

Lots of sushi has no fish in it.

Sashimi is raw fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > <lol> I hear ya.
> >
> > I love Sashimi and I not only prefer rare steak, I've prepped steak
> > tartar with raw egg yolk for myself. ;-d
> >
> > Yum!

> One of my friends joined me at a Japanese restaurant, he was willing to
> try sushi for the first time. He took one bite, looked surprised and
> said, "It's cold!" I never thought to mention that sushi was cold.
>
> Becca

Heh!

Even _I_ am not that inexperienced...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > > Beef is not fish. Rare meat is not raw.

> > Depends on how rare it is... ;-d

> Well, if we down to carpaccio perhaps. I for one will happily eat raw
> beef. When I'm slicing beef for stir-fry, several strips will
> accidentally get salted and fall in my mouth.
>

> Brian

ROFL!

Damn that brings back early memories!

I learned to eat salted raw meat from my mom when she was prepping for
doing home ground burgers.

Don't even recall how old I was, but it was in my "formative" years for
sure!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Pan Ohco wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm not as much of a stickler on food names ( such as
> > the variations of alfredo sauce), but isn't the whole purpose
> > of sushi, raw fish?

> Lots of sushi has no fish in it.
>
> Sashimi is raw fish.

Yes.

Or raw mollusks or crustaceans.

Raw quail eggs too.

With Wasabi and Ginger.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:32:07 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-07-18, Pan Ohco > wrote:
>
>> variations of alfredo sauce), but isn't the whole purpose of sushi,
>> raw fish?

>No. That shashimi. Sushi is basically marinated rice and there are all sorts
>of variations including all veggie, cooked and raw seafood, etc.
>
>nb

Sorry NB,I meant sushi in the general sense, that which is commonly
called sushi, including nigiri,maki, and oshi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote:

> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
> but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

A better analogy would be people liking carpaccio and beef tartar, but
not sashimi. Are there any?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 1:16?pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> >Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture
> >of steak.
> >You do need one for bread, though.

> Bread or tomatoes. Can't think of anything else offhand.

Actually a proper bread knife has a scalloped blade... a scalloped
blade essentially doubles the cutting edge length per inch of blade
and also presents a steeper angle of approach, makes for easier
slicing with no ripping/tearing and far fewer crumbs... serrated steak
knives have a cutting edge configuration that's more like a pruning
saw, rips and tears it's way through rather than slices. Tomatoes are
best sliced with an ordinary well sharpened blade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 2:52?pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> > >I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
> > >than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw.

> > Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
> > and serrated??

> Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp
> pointed teeth, like a saw blade.

Serrated IS a toothed blade... bread knives have *scalloped* blades...
hand bread blades are beveled on one side, bread slicing machine
blades are beveled on both sides.