Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mangos (cabbage & green bell peppers) Thanks

I made the 'mangoes' recipe according to my own style after reading
the Ball Canning recipe you'all sent. It called for 12 peppers
sitting in 1 cup of salt for 24 hours and then stuffing them with
sliced cabbage.

What I did was 1/4 the recipe using 2 green peppers and 1 red bell
pepper diced; then mixed together. I put them in a vegetable press
for a couple of days inside the refrigerator, not wanting to do the
kim chi way of leaving on the counter.

I enjoyed it, and it is probably the closest to what I had as a kid.
Many, many thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:37:46 -0700, Dee Dee > wrote:

>I made the 'mangoes' recipe according to my own style after reading
>the Ball Canning recipe you'all sent. It called for 12 peppers
>sitting in 1 cup of salt for 24 hours and then stuffing them with
>sliced cabbage.
>Dee Dee

I haven't heard this reference to "mangos" in years !

In my home town ( NE Pa. ) housewives regularly
referred to bell peppers as "mangos".
It wasn't until I'd moved to the city
that I learned what mango's really were.

As a kid, I often went to the grocers for "salad".
( a head of iceberg lettuce )

Now that I think of it, the only time we had real salad,
was when the priest was coming to Sunday dinner.
????

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 10:28 am, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:37:46 -0700, Dee Dee > wrote:
> >I made the 'mangoes' recipe according to my own style after reading
> >the Ball Canning recipe you'all sent. It called for 12 peppers
> >sitting in 1 cup of salt for 24 hours and then stuffing them with
> >sliced cabbage.
> >Dee Dee

> I haven't heard this reference to "mangos" in years !
>
> In my home town ( NE Pa. ) housewives regularly
> referred to bell peppers as "mangos".
> It wasn't until I'd moved to the city
> that I learned what mango's really were.
>
> As a kid, I often went to the grocers for "salad".
> ( a head of iceberg lettuce )
>
> Now that I think of it, the only time we had real salad,
> was when the priest was coming to Sunday dinner.
> ????
>
> <rj>

There are some wonderful things about not being citi-fied - at any
age. ;-)
Dee Dee

Big sale on red, yellow and green bell peppers George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 03-06-2016 09:00 PM
Bell peppers Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 25 29-07-2012 07:28 PM
Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones? qquito General Cooking 31 21-09-2009 05:40 AM
Bell Peppers [email protected] General Cooking 10 27-12-2005 02:20 PM
mangos as green peppers in Indiana John213a Historic 11 21-09-2004 08:00 PM