Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Required Temperature for Recipe

Drew Cutter wrote:
> How close can you get to the required temperature without it affecting
> what you are cooking ? I thinking of things that require about 450
> degree . Would the use of cast iron help to get to the required
> temperature ? calzone , Chicago style pizza .

What you're really looking for is something to increase the thermal mass in
your oven. Many people use bricks or tiles to do this. What thermal mass
essentially means is the material you're using absorbs and releases heat
when there's a temperature difference between the mass and the air around
it. If you're using an electric oven, there's a gauge that turns the
elements on to your desired temp, and then the elements shut off. When the
temperature inside the oven dips again, the elements turn back on. If you
heat tiles or bricks in the oven first, they'll hold your desired
temperature and create a more even heating temperature.

I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can step in here and explain it
better.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Drew Cutter wrote:
>> How close can you get to the required temperature without it affecting
>> what you are cooking ? I thinking of things that require about 450
>> degree . Would the use of cast iron help to get to the required
>> temperature ? calzone , Chicago style pizza .

>What you're really looking for is something to increase the thermal mass in
>your oven. Many people use bricks or tiles to do this. What thermal mass
>essentially means is the material you're using absorbs and releases heat
>when there's a temperature difference between the mass and the air around
>it. If you're using an electric oven, there's a gauge that turns the
>elements on to your desired temp, and then the elements shut off. When the
>temperature inside the oven dips again, the elements turn back on. If you
>heat tiles or bricks in the oven first, they'll hold your desired
>temperature and create a more even heating temperature.
>
>I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can step in here and explain it
>better.
>
>kili

Backing away slowly.... you did just fine Kili!

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> Drew Cutter wrote:
>>> How close can you get to the required temperature without it
>>> affecting what you are cooking ? I thinking of things that require
>>> about 450 degree . Would the use of cast iron help to get to the
>>> required temperature ? calzone , Chicago style pizza .

>> What you're really looking for is something to increase the thermal
>> mass in your oven. Many people use bricks or tiles to do this.
>> What thermal mass essentially means is the material you're using
>> absorbs and releases heat when there's a temperature difference
>> between the mass and the air around it. If you're using an electric
>> oven, there's a gauge that turns the elements on to your desired
>> temp, and then the elements shut off. When the temperature inside
>> the oven dips again, the elements turn back on. If you heat tiles
>> or bricks in the oven first, they'll hold your desired temperature
>> and create a more even heating temperature.
>>
>> I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can step in here and
>> explain it better.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Backing away slowly.... you did just fine Kili!

Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:05:40 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

You usually do "right", you just don't come off as so goll durned
authorative. LOL Man, you put some *energy* into that!

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 11:05?am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"
> > > wrote:

> >> What you're really looking for is something to increase the thermal
> >> mass in your oven. Many people use bricks or tiles to do this.
> >> What thermal mass essentially means is the material you're using
> >> absorbs and releases heat when there's a temperature difference
> >> between the mass and the air around it. If you're using an electric
> >> oven, there's a gauge that turns the elements on to your desired
> >> temp, and then the elements shut off. When the temperature inside
> >> the oven dips again, the elements turn back on. If you heat tiles
> >> or bricks in the oven first, they'll hold your desired temperature
> >> and create a more even heating temperature.

> >> I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can step in here and
> >> explain it better.

> >> kili

> > Backing away slowly.... you did just fine Kili!

> Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
> what I'm attempting to do is using a electric griddle that can reach 450
> degrees , with a cast iron skillet / lid .

Why? Do you not have an oven?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:11:17 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>On Jul 16, 11:05?am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"

>Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
>higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

She was talking about stabalizing the temperature and keeping it from
dropping fast, which is a good thing if your thermostat is faulty.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
>I presently got a 1950 oven. Not sure if it can get up to 500 degree.
>
> sf wrote:

>>> Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
>>> higher temperature than the thermostat setting.
>>>

>> She was talking about stabalizing the temperature and keeping it from
>> dropping fast, which is a good thing if your thermostat is faulty.

Oven thermometer. Under five bucks at any decent supermarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> >Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> >higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

> She was talking about stabalizing the temperature and keeping it from
> dropping fast, which is a good thing if your thermostat is faulty.

Hmm, friction causes heat, I think all she need do is rub it a
little... that sounds like a sexual problem of a personal nature.

I really think she needs to call a service man. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:36?pm, Drew Cutter > wrote:
> I presently got a 1950 oven. Not sure if it can get up to 500 degree.

Fifty seven years old... I think your oven needs a hysterectomy. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jul 16, 11:05?am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"

>>> Backing away slowly.... you did just fine Kili!

>> Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

> Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> higher temperature than the thermostat setting.
>
> Sheldon

You're exactly right, Sheldon. An oven and all of its contents can only get
as hot as it gets. But, as I'm sure you know, most electric ovens turn on
and off using a thermostat. To get the most efficient heating you can,
using tiles or bricks can help even out the oven during those peaks and
valleys. I know I don't have to tell you this, though. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

>> Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
>> higher temperature than the thermostat setting.
>>
>> Sheldon

> You're exactly right, Sheldon. An oven and all of its contents can only
> get
> as hot as it gets. But, as I'm sure you know, most electric ovens turn on
> and off using a thermostat. To get the most efficient heating you can,
> using tiles or bricks can help even out the oven during those peaks and
> valleys. I know I don't have to tell you this, though. :~)
>
> kili

Electric ovens use a thermostat? What do gas ovens use? Little heat pixies
sticking their heatproof fingers into the oven to see how things are going?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 7:56?pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> >> Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

> > Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> > higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

> > Sheldon

> You're exactly right, Sheldon. An oven and all of its contents can only get
> as hot as it gets. But, as I'm sure you know, most electric ovens turn on
> and off using a thermostat. To get the most efficient heating you can,
> using tiles or bricks can help even out the oven during those peaks and
> valleys. I know I don't have to tell you this, though. :~)

Um, there are no peaks and valleys... thermostats contain circuitry
called an "anticipator" (electric or gas), a device that monitors the
rate of rise and shuts off the heater before it reaches the set
temperature so that the temperature doesn't over ride the setting by
more than a degree or two... does the same in reverse, turns on the
heater as soon as the temperature stabilizes at the thermostat setting
so that the temperature doesn't drop below the set temperature by more
than a degree or two. Any peaks and valleys are long and flat, the
heater cycles about every 5 minutes so that the temperature doesn't
vary more than +/- 2 degF, not nearly enough variance to affect any
cooking. The solid state anticipators for thermostats nowadays are
very sensitive. They're used for home heating/cooling systems too.
If your heating/cooling exhibits more than 3 degF temperature swing
then you have an older or malfunctioning thermostat, time to have it
replaced... a new one will save more in the cost of energy the first
year than the price of the unit.

I bet you thought I was going to expound on more lascivious peaks and
valleys. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 7:56?pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> >> Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

> > Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> > higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

> > Sheldon

> You're exactly right, Sheldon. An oven and all of its contents can only get
> as hot as it gets. But, as I'm sure you know, most electric ovens turn on
> and off using a thermostat. To get the most efficient heating you can,
> using tiles or bricks can help even out the oven during those peaks and
> valleys. I know I don't have to tell you this, though. :~)

There are no peaks and valleys... for many years now thermostats (for
gas and electric) use a device called an "anticipator", prevents
temperature fluctuations of more than +/- 2 degF. Placing tiles and
bricks into an oven does one thing and one thing only, heating them
increases energy use, could easily cause an oven up to ten times
longer to come up to temperature... actually does two things, their
presence also indicates a moron lives here.

I bet you thought I was going to discuss more lascivious peaks and
valleys. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Electric ovens use a thermostat? What do gas ovens use? Little heat pixies
> sticking their heatproof fingers into the oven to see how things are going?

Well, that's what the fancy ones use.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:39:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
>>I presently got a 1950 oven. Not sure if it can get up to 500 degree.
>>
>> sf wrote:

>>> She was talking about stabalizing the temperature and keeping it from
>>> dropping fast, which is a good thing if your thermostat is faulty.

>Oven thermometer. Under five bucks at any decent supermarket.

BTDT... didn't work. The repair guy came out and said it didn't kick
on when it should - recalibrating wasn't in the stars, replacement was

The stones keep get the air temp up to snuff after you've opened the
door and regulate it when your thermostate doesn't kick on when it
should.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:49:49 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>I really think she needs to call a service man. LOL

I think the Maytag guy is available.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 4:11 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 11:05?am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
> > > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:56 -0400, "kilikini"

> > > Backing away slowly.... you did just fine Kili!

> > Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

> Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> higher temperature than the thermostat setting.
>
> Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

Kenneth on the sourdough bread group has explained how stones placed
in the oven can increase to a higher temperature than the set
thermostat temperature, as they are heated.
If anyone is interested, research it on google-groups
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:39:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
>>>I presently got a 1950 oven. Not sure if it can get up to 500 degree.

>>Oven thermometer. Under five bucks at any decent supermarket.
>>

> BTDT... didn't work. The repair guy came out and said it didn't kick
> on when it should - recalibrating wasn't in the stars, replacement was
>
> The stones keep get the air temp up to snuff after you've opened the
> door and regulate it when your thermostate doesn't kick on when it
> should.

All your base are belong to us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 1:03?am, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 4:11 pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> > > Wow! I actually did something right? Thanks!

> > Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> > higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

> > Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

> Kenneth on the sourdough bread group has explained how stones placed
> in the oven can increase to a higher temperature than the set
> thermostat temperature, as they are heated.
> If anyone is interested, research it on google-groups
> Dee Dee-

Whaddaya know, free energy!

Were that possible the energy crisis would be solved.

IDIOTS!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:22:21 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>I bet you thought I was going to expound on more lascivious peaks and
>valleys. hehe

You missed your chance!

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Jul 17, 1:03?am, Dee Dee > wrote:

> > > Not sure what's needed, but nothing placed into an oven can reach a
> > > higher temperature than the thermostat setting.

> > > Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

> > Kenneth on the sourdough bread group has explained how stones placed
> > in the oven can increase to a higher temperature than the set
> > thermostat temperature, as they are heated.
> > If anyone is interested, research it on google-groups
> > Dee Dee-

> Whaddaya know, free energy!
>
> Were that possible the energy crisis would be solved.
>
> IDIOTS!

No, it actually works that way -- and no free energy is involved.

The thermostat that came with the oven was designed to expect a certain
thermal mass and respond appropriately, turning the gas on when things
get too cool, and off when they're warm enough. If the 'stat is properly
matched to the heat output of the burner and the thermal mass of the
oven, the temperature will swing only a little ways above and below the
temperature you set on the dial.

If you add a large mass (exaggerating for understanding, imagine a
six-inch thick slab of steel in the bottom of the oven). When you light
the oven, the burner comes on full blast and stays that way until the
thermostat cries "Hold! Enough!". But by the time the top of that slab
heats up enough to trip the 'stat, there'll be a huge "wave" of heat
behind it, flowing up through the slab, and there'll be a large
temperature overshoot even after the burner shuts off. Eventually things
will settle down to some extent, but the oven may wind up with a larger
temperature swing than before, because the added mass upsets the heating
loop's (burner, thermal mass, thermostat) response.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:39:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Drew Cutter" > wrote in message
> >>I presently got a 1950 oven. Not sure if it can get up to 500 degree.

> >Oven thermometer. Under five bucks at any decent supermarket.
> >

> BTDT... didn't work. The repair guy came out and said it didn't kick
> on when it should - recalibrating wasn't in the stars, replacement was
>
> The stones keep get the air temp up to snuff after you've opened the
> door and regulate it when your thermostate doesn't kick on when it
> should.

There's just not anywhere near enough heat stored in the air in an oven
to produce a problem. Same with leaving the refrigerator door open.
Eventually, things will col down (or warm up, depending), but it's not
directly because you "let the hot/cold air out".

Isaac