Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sticking ice cubes

I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 2:55?pm, Abe > wrote:
> >I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
> >in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
> >more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
> >very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

> Cheap trays can have relatively rough surfaces (microscopically
> speaking). This gives the ice more crannies to freeze into, and more
> difficult to get out. Spend a little more and get trays that have a
> nice slick and glossy surface, your problem will go away.

Probably talking plastic trays, you're likely too young to even
remember metal ice cube trays. Doesn't matter how much you spend on
plastic trays, they all stick, but it's very easy to make them non
stick. Coat the trays with a very light film of ordinary vegetable
oil and let sit over night. Next day wash by hand with ordinary dish
liquid and hot water as you would dishes. Now your ice cube trays are
non stick and will remain so for many years... if after a couple three
years they begin to stick repeat the oiling.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Abe" > wrote

> Not too young at all. I grew up with metal trays that you had to turn
> upside down onto the top of the cube compartment and then pull a lever
> on the side to break out the cubes.

My favorite part about those was how the whole contraption
stuck to your fingers.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:06:11 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Probably talking plastic trays, you're likely too young to even
>> remember metal ice cube trays. Doesn't matter how much you spend on
>> plastic trays, they all stick

> I have three plastic trays and they only occasionally stick.
> Usually they're just fine.
>
> -sw

Ditto. I had some cheap 3 for a dollar trays that were bad, but picked up
some "normal" quality trays for a couple bucks and they are fine. A quick
small twist and they are all loose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:

> Not too young at all. I grew up with metal trays that you
> had to turn upside down onto the top of the cube compartment
> and then pull a lever on the side to break out the cubes.

Mom would run hot water along the back of the tray
before pulling the handle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:06:11 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Probably talking plastic trays, you're likely too young to even
> > remember metal ice cube trays. Doesn't matter how much you spend on
> > plastic trays, they all stick

> I have three plastic trays and they only occasionally stick.
> Usually they're just fine.
>
> -sw

Run a bit of tap water over the back of the tray...

Works for me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks everyone! I guess it's always true you get what you pay for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brushfire" > wrote

> Thanks everyone! I guess it's always true you get what you pay for.

Oh, I don't know. I have 6 ice cube trays, they are in the freezer
in two stacks. Two different brands. No matter how you arrange
them, the bottom one of each stack will stick.

I do the hot water on the bottom routine, or just leave them out
until the cubes decide to let go of the tray.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brushfire wrote:

> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
> in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
> more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
> very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

Invert the ice cube tray and run some water over it. That will thaw just
enough of the outside of the cubes to let them fall out. You could also
just leave them out for a few minutes. More expensive trays don't work any
better. They just last longer. Water hardness doesn't have anything to do
with it, and pH does not make water hard. The pH is a measure of the acid
or base in the water, though hard water often contains alkaline materials.
I have very hard water but it is well balanced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 11:41 am, brushfire > wrote:
> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
> in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
> more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
> very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

The trays need to be washed with soap and hot water once in a while.
You can't just fill them up and empty them forever and ever without a
good washing once in a while.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brushfire wrote:

> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to
> stick in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice
> cubes?!? Is it more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use
> tap water, which is very good where I live, but it has a pH of
> about 8.2, so a bit hard.

I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs and
makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try and get
the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some Rubbermaid trays,
and they're super -- no more sticking, little effort needed to
release the cubes. I don't have a model number, but they're white
and the plastic feels a little thicker than the others I'd tried.
They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece, and I know I got them at BB&B.

--
Blinky
Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Abe > wrote:

> >I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
> >in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
> >more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
> >very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

> Cheap trays can have relatively rough surfaces (microscopically
> speaking). This gives the ice more crannies to freeze into, and more
> difficult to get out. Spend a little more and get trays that have a
> nice slick and glossy surface, your problem will go away.

Or just wait a minute or two while the ice cube trays thaw slightly on
the counter and they'll pop out, no problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Jul 2007 09:27:14 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs and
>makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try and get
>the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some Rubbermaid trays,
>and they're super -- no more sticking, little effort needed to
>release the cubes. I don't have a model number, but they're white
>and the plastic feels a little thicker than the others I'd tried.
>They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece, and I know I got them at BB&B.

GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> On 15 Jul 2007 09:27:14 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs and
>>makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try and get
>>the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some Rubbermaid trays,
>>and they're super -- no more sticking, little effort needed to
>>release the cubes. I don't have a model number, but they're white
>>and the plastic feels a little thicker than the others I'd tried.
>>They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece, and I know I got them at BB&B.

> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
> seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
> I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
> about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
> a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

Who knew it would get to be so hard to find the blue ice cube
trays! I have the white ones now, and they are fine. Watch out, I don't
know if Rubbermaid still sells them, but I did buy blue ones thinking they
were like the old ones. Get this. They nest. You have to line them
up a certain way or they ... nest, and that pushes out the water. Can't
imagine what they were thinking. Look for the white Rubbermaid kind.
I think I ordered them from Ace Hardware.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2007 09:27:14 GMT, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs
>>and makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try
>>and get the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some
>>Rubbermaid trays, and they're super -- no more sticking, little
>>effort needed to release the cubes. I don't have a model
>>number, but they're white and the plastic feels a little thicker
>>than the others I'd tried. They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece,
>>and I know I got them at BB&B.

> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in
> time. It seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue
> trays anymore, so I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on
> Friday and forgot all about my need for ice cube trays, so I
> blew my chance and have to make a dedicated ice cube tray hunt
> trip now.

I haven't seen the ones I recommended at Target anyway.

--
Blinky
Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 14, 11:41 am, brushfire > wrote:
>> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
>> in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
>> more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
>> very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

> The trays need to be washed with soap and hot water once in a while.
> You can't just fill them up and empty them forever and ever without a
> good washing once in a while.
>
> Karen

I have always wondered why we don't have silicone trays. We have silicon
baking pans (horrible as they are... my opinion only).

Somebody!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "Karen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> On Jul 14, 11:41 am, brushfire > wrote:
>>> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
>>> in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
>>> more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
>>> very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

>> The trays need to be washed with soap and hot water once in a while.
>> You can't just fill them up and empty them forever and ever without a
>> good washing once in a while.
>>
>> Karen
>>

> I have always wondered why we don't have silicone trays. We have silicon
> baking pans (horrible as they are... my opinion only).
>
> Somebody!

I do and they stick-- but worse they flop in the freezer and spill
water. If they weren't in such cute shapes, I'd toss them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
> seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
> I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
> about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
> a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

You obviously haven't expended an iota of energy looking:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...Go.x=9&Go.y=12

You'll probably spring for water to maske ice but you're just waiting
for someone to donate the gin and tonic! LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 1:56?pm, sf wrote:

> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
> seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
> I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
> about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
> a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

Found these on Amazon.com
If these stick you have a personal problem: http://tinyurl.com/2ecrob

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:28:57 -0700, Abe > wrote:

>Not too young at all. I grew up with metal trays that you had to turn
>upside down onto the top of the cube compartment and then pull a lever
>on the side to break out the cubes.

I have one of those. It's really cool.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:40:49 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
>> seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
>> I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
>> about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
>> a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

>You obviously haven't expended an iota of energy looking:

No I haven't. How much time and energy should ice trays consume?

>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...Go.x=9&Go.y=12
>
>You'll probably spring for water to maske ice but you're just waiting
>for someone to donate the gin and tonic! LOL

Hey, I'm no fool! That sounds like a good plan to me.

>Sheldon

Thanks for the research, but good god Sheldon! Do you really think
I'm going to buy cheap ice trays (although 2 for $10 isn't
inexpensive) through Amazon and pay the shipping and handling gladly?
No Way! Wake up and smell the coffee, man.

I have bought exactly ONE thing through Amazon.... my digital camera
and I wouldn't have bought it there if it wasn't so new at the time
(not released to stores in my area yet).

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:45:24 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>On Jul 15, 1:56?pm, sf wrote:
>>
>> GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
>> seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
>> I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
>> about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
>> a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

>Found these on Amazon.com
>If these stick you have a personal problem: http://tinyurl.com/2ecrob

Oh, (said flatly) ha-ha-ha. I wasn't the one with the stickage
problem. I just need new ice trays. I'm down to the last one and it
should be thrown out.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> I have always wondered why we don't have silicone trays. We have silicon
> baking pans (horrible as they are... my opinion only).

We - at least the editorial we - do. I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
>>I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to stick
>>in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice cubes?!? Is it
>>more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap water, which is
>>very good where I live, but it has a pH of about 8.2, so a bit hard.

> These are what you want:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=rubbe...+Ice+Cube+Tray

Those are the Rubbermaids I recommeded earlier, but I didn't have a
number for them. Thanks for the link. After replaceing trays here for
years because when they were being stubborn I'd sometimes break them
trying ot twist/bend the cubes out, I found these and they work
flawlessly with no workarounds like letting some of the ice melt.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:23:29 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Who knew it would get to be so hard to find the blue ice cube
>trays! I have the white ones now, and they are fine. Watch out, I don't
>know if Rubbermaid still sells them, but I did buy blue ones thinking they
>were like the old ones. Get this. They nest. You have to line them
>up a certain way or they ... nest, and that pushes out the water. Can't
>imagine what they were thinking. Look for the white Rubbermaid kind.
>I think I ordered them from Ace Hardware.

Thanks for the heads up! They must have been redesigned by someone
who doesn't know how to boil water. Obviously s/he is doesn't make
ice cubes either. Sheesh.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
.. .
> brushfire wrote:
>
> > I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to
> > stick in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice
> > cubes?!? Is it more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use
> > tap water, which is very good where I live, but it has a pH of
> > about 8.2, so a bit hard.

> I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs and
> makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try and get
> the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some Rubbermaid trays,
> and they're super -- no more sticking, little effort needed to
> release the cubes. I don't have a model number, but they're white
> and the plastic feels a little thicker than the others I'd tried.
> They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece, and I know I got them at BB&B.

I have a white Rubbermaid ice cube tray that has the following numbers on
on the opposite side of the Rubbermaid logo, bottom side of the tray...

2867 5 F

....if that actually means anything in terms of a model number or part
number.

Either way, all of the ice cubes can easily be removed after just slightly
twisting the ends of the tray in opposite directions, then shaking the tray
gently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:00:40 -0700, "Somebody" >
wrote:

roups.com...

We do. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=764&f=14382

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> brushfire wrote:
>>
>> > I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to
>> > stick in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice
>> > cubes?!? Is it more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use
>> > tap water, which is very good where I live, but it has a pH of
>> > about 8.2, so a bit hard.

>> I fought this for years; I was always trying different designs and
>> makes. I'd too frequently break trays, twisting them to try and get
>> the cubes to break loose. Then I picked up some Rubbermaid trays,
>> and they're super -- no more sticking, little effort needed to
>> release the cubes. I don't have a model number, but they're white
>> and the plastic feels a little thicker than the others I'd tried.
>> They were, IIRC, three bucks apiece, and I know I got them at BB&B.
>>

> I have a white Rubbermaid ice cube tray that has the following numbers on
> on the opposite side of the Rubbermaid logo, bottom side of the tray...
>
> 2867 5 F
>
> ...if that actually means anything in terms of a model number or part
> number.

That's the code on the Rubbermaids I have and recommended. Thanks.
When I posted I didn't look for a number; I didn't think three-buck
plastic ice cube trays would have any; I was wrong.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:56:27 -0700, sf wrote:

>GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
>seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
>I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
>about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
>a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

It's a good thing you forgot! Target is where I, the original poster,
got the sticky trays. Don't get the blue ones with the oval shapes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:12:06 -0700, brushfire >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:56:27 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
>>seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
>>I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
>>about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
>>a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

>It's a good thing you forgot! Target is where I, the original poster,
>got the sticky trays. Don't get the blue ones with the oval shapes.

Went to Safeway today and voilą: the cheap blue ones were in the isle
with all the other containers. Hubby had looked and is usually pretty
thorough - but he goofed this time. They were hiding out on the *top*
shelf! I'm going to try that spray trick, just for chuckles and see
what happens.

Safeway (my final destination) was in a mall. First I went to Cost
Plus (where Hungarian sweet paprika was all out and they don't carry
hot - someone called another store which does carry hot, but they said
the restaurant next door buys all their stock as soon as they get
it).... went to Trader Joe's (discovered they don't carry paprika at
all) to look at EVOO, but decided to wait for CostCo - then on to
Linens and Things to look for silicone ice trays (they don't carry
them). I'm very interested in the silicone type. Apparently they
make ice cubes that are really cube shaped. How cool is that?
http://tinyurl.com/25yhq7 They look sturdy enough and you know
silicone is flexible. If you buy them in a brick and mortar store,
let me know.... heck, let me know if you can find it *in stock* on the
interent.

BTW: News for anyone who has lusted after the oval measuring cup set
Giadia De Laurentis uses on FoodTV: they are at Cost Plus and fairly
inexpensive.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2007 19:09:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>>>

>> I have a white Rubbermaid ice cube tray that has the following numbers on
>> on the opposite side of the Rubbermaid logo, bottom side of the tray...
>>
>> 2867 5 F
>>
>> ...if that actually means anything in terms of a model number or part
>> number.

>That's the code on the Rubbermaids I have and recommended. Thanks.
>When I posted I didn't look for a number; I didn't think three-buck
>plastic ice cube trays would have any; I was wrong.

I found them at Linen's and things while I was on my mission and they
appeared to be fairly flexible. I don't know where people got the
idea they are stiff, they just look like they should be stiff.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2007 19:09:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>>>>
>>> I have a white Rubbermaid ice cube tray that has the following
>>> numbers on on the opposite side of the Rubbermaid logo, bottom side
>>> of the tray...
>>>
>>> 2867 5 F
>>>
>>> ...if that actually means anything in terms of a model number or
>>> part number.

>>That's the code on the Rubbermaids I have and recommended. Thanks.
>>When I posted I didn't look for a number; I didn't think three-buck
>>plastic ice cube trays would have any; I was wrong.

> I found them at Linen's and things while I was on my mission and they
> appeared to be fairly flexible. I don't know where people got the
> idea they are stiff, they just look like they should be stiff.

They're flexible enought to eject the cubes and not snap. I kept
*breaking* the cheap and/or blue ones. The Rubbermaid 2867s are
designed well enough that Huge Twisting/Bending isn't required, which
was what kept breaking the no-namers.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:12:06 -0700, brushfire >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:56:27 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>>GREAT! I need new ice cube trays so this info came just in time. It
>>>seems like the grocery store doesn't carry the blue trays anymore, so
>>>I have to look elsewhere. I was at Target on Friday and forgot all
>>>about my need for ice cube trays, so I blew my chance and have to make
>>>a dedicated ice cube tray hunt trip now.

>>It's a good thing you forgot! Target is where I, the original poster,
>>got the sticky trays. Don't get the blue ones with the oval shapes.

> Went to Safeway today and voilą: the cheap blue ones were in the isle
> with all the other containers. Hubby had looked and is usually pretty
> thorough - but he goofed this time. They were hiding out on the *top*
> shelf! I'm going to try that spray trick, just for chuckles and see
> what happens.
>
> Safeway (my final destination) was in a mall. First I went to Cost
> Plus (where Hungarian sweet paprika was all out and they don't carry
> hot - someone called another store which does carry hot, but they said
> the restaurant next door buys all their stock as soon as they get
> it).... went to Trader Joe's (discovered they don't carry paprika at
> all) to look at EVOO, but decided to wait for CostCo - then on to
> Linens and Things to look for silicone ice trays (they don't carry
> them). I'm very interested in the silicone type. Apparently they
> make ice cubes that are really cube shaped. How cool is that?
> http://tinyurl.com/25yhq7 They look sturdy enough and you know
> silicone is flexible. If you buy them in a brick and mortar store,
> let me know.... heck, let me know if you can find it *in stock* on the
> interent.

BB&B has them.

Someone else, though, mentioned that they're so flexible that they don't
carry well; they're limp when full. I'd personally hate to have to try
and nest them (if they nest at all) if the one I was trying to put in
the stack was all floppy-droopy on the far end -- I don't store them
across the front of the freezer; I store them in a front-to-back
orientation.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

(re the silicone ice cube trays)

> Someone else, though, mentioned that they're so flexible that they don't
> carry well; they're limp when full. I'd personally hate to have to try
> and nest them (if they nest at all) if the one I was trying to put in
> the stack was all floppy-droopy on the far end -- I don't store them
> across the front of the freezer; I store them in a front-to-back
> orientation.

....so stacking with both hands, one on each end, wouldn't be convenient
or possible.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Jul 2007 02:57:52 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>(re the silicone ice cube trays)
>
>> Someone else, though, mentioned that they're so flexible that they don't
>> carry well; they're limp when full. I'd personally hate to have to try
>> and nest them (if they nest at all) if the one I was trying to put in
>> the stack was all floppy-droopy on the far end -- I don't store them
>> across the front of the freezer; I store them in a front-to-back
>> orientation.

>...so stacking with both hands, one on each end, wouldn't be convenient
>or possible.

Not having seen them in person, I don't know.... but it looked like
the bottom was solid. Perhaps there is some flex, but heck - how do
people get those silicone bunt pans to the oven? They seem a lot more
flexible than the ice cube trays.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> Not having seen them in person, I don't know.... but it looked like
> the bottom was solid. Perhaps there is some flex, but heck - how do
> people get those silicone bunt pans to the oven? They seem a lot more
> flexible than the ice cube trays.
>

> --
>
> A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he
> just cleaned the whole house.

On a half-sheet pan. Same as with all of the rest of the silicone bakeware.
(not a big fan of silicone, bake-wise or boob-wise!) ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2007 02:57:52 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>>(re the silicone ice cube trays)
>>
>>> Someone else, though, mentioned that they're so flexible that they don't
>>> carry well; they're limp when full. I'd personally hate to have to try
>>> and nest them (if they nest at all) if the one I was trying to put in
>>> the stack was all floppy-droopy on the far end -- I don't store them
>>> across the front of the freezer; I store them in a front-to-back
>>> orientation.

>>...so stacking with both hands, one on each end, wouldn't be convenient
>>or possible.

> Not having seen them in person, I don't know.... but it looked like
> the bottom was solid. Perhaps there is some flex, but heck - how do

Maybe I missed that they were solid on the bottom. I remember them
as...uh...cubey bottoms like a normal ol' plastic tray, but my meatRAM
may not be what it once was.

> people get those silicone bunt pans to the oven? They seem a lot more
> flexible than the ice cube trays.

Dunno.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco's Tacos wrote:

> On a half-sheet pan. Same as with all of the rest of the silicone bakeware.
> (not a big fan of silicone, bake-wise or boob-wise!) ;-)

At least with the boobal kind you don't have to wear oven mitts to get
them out...

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> Abe > wrote:
>
>>> I bought some new (cheap) ice cube trays, and the cubes tend to
>>> stick in the trays. What is the secret to non-sticking ice
>>> cubes?!? Is it more expensive trays? Is it the water? I use tap
>>> water, which is very good where I live, but it has a pH of about
>>> 8.2, so a bit hard.

>> Cheap trays can have relatively rough surfaces (microscopically
>> speaking). This gives the ice more crannies to freeze into, and more
>> difficult to get out. Spend a little more and get trays that have a
>> nice slick and glossy surface, your problem will go away.

> Or just wait a minute or two while the ice cube trays thaw slightly on
> the counter and they'll pop out, no problem.

Or run a little water (cold) along the base of the tray and voila! I have
cheap but flexible blue trays I got at Dollar General. Package of 3 (odd
number, pardon the pun!) for a dollar, maybe a buck fifty. (They work just
fine without the water trick.) Just a slight twist and the cubes pop up.
There's no sign of the trays threatening to crack because they aren't really
stiff to begin with. I don't use a lot of ice, but these are "stackable"
for those who want to be able to do so.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I find that if I wipe the mineral or particulate residue from the trays, the
cubes fall out more easily.

Mitch

sticking jhrayhan General Cooking 2 25-11-2011 05:17 AM
non-sticking a grill Nonnymus[_10_] Barbecue 6 05-01-2009 07:19 PM
Sticking my neck out - RFC Martin S Historic 0 02-09-2008 06:20 AM
Sticking frying pan Splodrod General Cooking 8 05-02-2007 11:49 AM
sticking frying pan bfairey General Cooking 59 08-12-2006 04:29 PM