Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How cans are made...

and why you should never cook in them.

This is some really cool information.
Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
Aluminum and Steel:

http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm

Money quote:

"To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
the protective polymer coating.

The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall and
away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.

"Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them in
the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be eating
polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences of
such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"

http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

Money quote:

"8. Inside Spraying
A specially selected coating is sprayed on the inside of the cans.

9. Baking
Cans are conveyed through a tunnel oven that bakes and cures the inside
coating."
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> and why you should never cook in them.
>
> This is some really cool information.
> Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> Aluminum and Steel:
>
> http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
>
> Money quote:
>
> "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> the protective polymer coating.
>
> The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall and
> away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
> material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
>
> "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
> acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
> would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
> that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them in
> the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be eating
> polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences of
> such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"
>

> http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> and why you should never cook in them.
>
> This is some really cool information.
> Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> Aluminum and Steel:
>
> http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
>
> Money quote:
>
> "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> the protective polymer coating.

[snips]

Very helpful information. I had no idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > and why you should never cook in them.
> >
> > This is some really cool information.
> > Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> > Aluminum and Steel:
> >
> > http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
> >
> > Money quote:
> >
> > "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> > manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> > solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> > the protective polymer coating.
> >
> > The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall and
> > away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
> > material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
> >
> > "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
> > acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
> > would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
> > that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them in
> > the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be eating
> > polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences of
> > such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"
> >

> > http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
>
> Becca

Nor does the process to begin with, since they sell a version of the SCM
already cooked like that and ready to go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > and why you should never cook in them.
> >
> > This is some really cool information.
> > Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> > Aluminum and Steel:
> >
> > http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
> >
> > Money quote:
> >
> > "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> > manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> > solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> > the protective polymer coating.
> >
> > The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall and
> > away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
> > material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
> >
> > "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
> > acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
> > would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
> > that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them in
> > the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be eating
> > polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences of
> > such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"
> >

> > http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
>
> Becca

I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed milk.
Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > and why you should never cook in them.
> >
> > This is some really cool information.
> > Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> > Aluminum and Steel:
> >
> > http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
> >
> > Money quote:
> >
> > "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> > manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> > solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> > the protective polymer coating.

> [snips]
>
> Very helpful information. I had no idea.

Interesting stuff. :-)

I've noted that the inside coating in cans of tomato paste is white.
Same for some other canned items, so I thought I'd search it just for
grins.

Seems that ALL cans, even the inside of soda cans, have some kind of
polymer coating to protect and seal the metal.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> > > and why you should never cook in them.
> > >
> > > This is some really cool information.
> > > Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
> > > Aluminum and Steel:
> > >
> > > http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
> > >
> > > Money quote:
> > >
> > > "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
> > > manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
> > > solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
> > > the protective polymer coating.
> > >
> > > The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall and
> > > away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
> > > material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
> > >
> > > "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
> > > acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
> > > would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
> > > that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them in
> > > the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be eating
> > > polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences of
> > > such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"
> > >

> > > http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

> > One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> > top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> > cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
> >
> > Becca

> I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed milk.
> Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

Yes and yes, however Eagle / Borden produces an already caramelized
version of the SCM ready to use. I've seen this version in the Mexican
section of my local Albertson's.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> and why you should never cook in them.
>>
>> This is some really cool information.
>> Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated, both
>> Aluminum and Steel:
>>
>> http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
>>
>> Money quote:
>>
>> "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
>> manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
>> solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
>> the protective polymer coating.
>>
>> The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall
>> and away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
>> material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
>>
>> "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
>> acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
>> would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're advised
>> that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them
>> in the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be
>> eating polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical
>> consequences of such a culinary blunder are headaches and
>> constipation.)"
>>

>> http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
>
> Becca

It's not. Considering they are also explosive. It's well documented that
this treat should be made in other ways now but so many folks just don't
want to hear.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Becca wrote:
>>
>> Omelet wrote:
>> > and why you should never cook in them.
>> >
>> > This is some really cool information.
>> > Both articles explain why the insides of ALL food cans are coated,
>> > both
>> > Aluminum and Steel:
>> >
>> > http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/can1su00.htm
>> >
>> > Money quote:
>> >
>> > "To keep powdered metal out of a can's contents, Schmid says,
>> > manufacturers spray-coat the inside with a polymer dissolved in a
>> > solvent. When the can is heated, the solvent boils away, leaving only
>> > the protective polymer coating.
>> >
>> > The coating not only plasters any microscopic debris to the can wall
>> > and
>> > away from the food, it keeps the food from interacting with can
>> > material, an especially important consideration with steel cans.
>> >
>> > "Say you've got tomato soup in this steel can. You don't want that
>> > acidic soup corroding your can. It would kill your can, and the can
>> > would adulterate your food," Schmid says. "It's also why you're
>> > advised
>> > that when you go camping and you have Spaghettios you don't cook them
>> > in
>> > the can, because the polymer will degrade and you're going to be
>> > eating
>> > polymer." (Industry sources tell Schmid that the typical consequences
>> > of
>> > such a culinary blunder are headaches and constipation.)"
>> >

>> > http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm...&NavMenuID=289

>> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
>> top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
>> cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
>>
>> Becca

> Nor does the process to begin with, since they sell a version of the SCM
> already cooked like that and ready to go.

I didn't know that!!!. Not available in Canada, at least not where I
live. I'll have to check it out when we are down in Texas.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
>>> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can

>> on top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the
>> inside, cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
>>
>> Becca

> I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed milk.
> Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

I do that to make Banoffee pie. The instructions on the tin tell you to
boil it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> > > One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> > > top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> > > cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
> > >
> > > Becca

> > I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed milk.
> > Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

> Yes and yes, however Eagle / Borden produces an already caramelized
> version of the SCM ready to use. I've seen this version in the Mexican
> section of my local Albertson's.
>
> Pete C.

I'll bet I can get it at Fiesta. :-)

But, what is it used for?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banoffee Pie (was How cans are made...)

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> >> on top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the
> >> inside, cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed milk.
> > Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

> I do that to make Banoffee pie. The instructions on the tin tell you to
> boil it.

Okay, ya made me google that one. :-)

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_33270,00
..html>

Banoffee Pie
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: English Pub Fare
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
10 tablespoons butter, softened
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
3 large bananas
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix graham cracker crumbs with softened butter and press mixture into
9-inch pie plate. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes.

Lower the oven to 300 degrees F for the toffee filling.

To create toffee filling, caramelize the sweetened condensed milk. Pour
the condensed milk into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Cover
with foil and place dish inside a larger poaching pan. Add water to
poaching pan until half way up sides of baking dish. Bake for 1 1/2
hours.

Once both the crust and toffee filling are cooled, spread half of the
filling evenly inside crust. Slice the bananas and layer on top of
filling. Pour remaining half of filling over bananas, spreading evenly.
Whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and spread on
top of toffee filling and bananas.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,

>>> I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed
>>> milk. Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

>> I do that to make Banoffee pie. The instructions on the tin tell
>> you to boil it.

> Okay, ya made me google that one. :-)
>
> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_33270,00
> .html>
>
> Banoffee Pie

Hehe but will you make it?

I very occasionally make it for David but it is too sweet for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I do that to make Banoffee pie. The instructions on the tin tell
> >> you to boil it.

> > Okay, ya made me google that one. :-)
> >
> > <http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_33270,00
> > .html>
> >
> > Banoffee Pie

> Hehe but will you make it?
>
> I very occasionally make it for David but it is too sweet for me.

Maybe some year... ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> > > I've read about that method for carmelizing sweetened condensed
> > > milk. Isn't that for some kind of Mexican recipe?

> > Yes and yes, however Eagle / Borden produces an already caramelized
> > version of the SCM ready to use. I've seen this version in the
> > Mexican section of my local Albertson's.

> But, what is it used for?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_de_Leche>

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Yes and yes, however Eagle / Borden produces an already caramelized
> > > version of the SCM ready to use. I've seen this version in the
> > > Mexican section of my local Albertson's.

> > But, what is it used for?

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_de_Leche>
>

> Brian

Ok, since I try to live a low carb lifestyle for the most part, I guess
I can give this a pass. ;-)

I don't have much of a sweet tooth any more anyway...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And it seems someone no longer present wrote:
> [...]

I've probably mentioned this here before... My mother used to make
caramel for those luxurious caramel tarts by throwing a can or two of
condensed milk into the old copper boiler when doing the weekly wash.

Of course, in those days, tin cans were tin cans.

In more recent times (like about 12-18 months ago for the latest
effort) I've made it by boiling a can in a saucepan on the stove top,
and that worked perfectly well. However, I also have top say that
there was no *obvious* lining in the can -- certainly nothing like
that whitish "plastic" lining one sees in soup cans for example.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > Becca wrote:

> >> One of my friends, cooks sweetened condensed milk, right in the can on
> >> top of the stove. Considering these cans are coated on the inside,
> >> cooking in the can, does not sound like a good idea.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > Nor does the process to begin with, since they sell a version of the SCM
> > already cooked like that and ready to go.

> I didn't know that!!!. Not available in Canada, at least not where I
> live. I'll have to check it out when we are down in Texas.
>
> MoM

Sorry, I was slightly incorrect, the pre caramelized version of SCM is
made by Nestle, not Bordon. "La Lechera" "Dulce de Leche", product of
Chile. See pic posted on ABF.

Pete C.

New - 7 oz. cans Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 48 29-04-2009 03:19 PM
#10 Cans Revisited Spud General Cooking 20 10-01-2008 12:11 AM
Beer Cans Wanted (Pub Beer Cans are Art) c5 Beer 11 23-01-2005 05:25 PM
Beer Cans Wanted (Pub Beer Cans are Art) c5 Beer 3 14-01-2005 04:32 PM