Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

Default Chinese food tastes like cardboard

Time for unabashed epicurean fun! Try not to take the post below too
seriously. Don't get insulted. Try to enjoy reading it as much as I
enjoyed writing it...

Actually, I love the hills of Appalachia.

I wrote this tongue-in-cheek. Fish tongue and cheeks, to be exact.
Which, together with fish eggs and liver, happens to be among the
most valued food in Tsar's Russia and Emperor's Japan.

On Jul 13, 3:59 pm, Brookski "xolodilnik" > wrote:
> "captain." > wrote in message
>
> > "xolodilnik" > wrote in message

> >> Russian cuisine is in the same league as Canadian,

> > up here we eat the exact same crap that you do [in USA]

> You kiddin' me cap?

Brookski is right, Captain: the food in the Pacific Northwest is
orders of magnitude better than the hillbilly crap that Brookski eats.
Salmon, sturgeon, crab, oysters, other seafood, Indian (Squaw) candy,
all kinds of berries, fresh fruits and vegetables all year round,
authentic Japanese and Chinese foods - Seattle and Vancouver have it
good. Just as good as we south of you in California.

> I'll be driving the neighbors crazy tomorrow morning with the smell of fresh
> baked bread. I just haven't decided whether to do sweet dough with cinnamon
> and raisins or maybe somethin' else.

Wow... Maybe even with some nuts? In addition to yuorself, that is...

Bread is as American as .. as apple pie and motherhood, right?

I wonder what the rest of the World did before the Americans finally
invented bread, apple pie and pregnancy...

> The difference between me and Karla is, Dyadya Karla couldn't cook a meal to
> save his life. He couldn't even pour a glass of water from the tap without
> it ending up with a burnt taste. That's the down side of being a macho
> moozhik.

Even macho moozhiks like food and can cook. Let me tell you what I
have cooked/eaten recently. For your education, I will indicate
whether this is typical food people eat in Russia/East Europe or if it
comes from another region.

Prepared myself:

Rotisserie fish - sturgeon, catfish, etc. (bought live) - [Russian]
with my signature hot sauce: pomegranate extract, selera hot chili
sauce, lemon, mayo, tom yum paste [my own creation].

Steamed live dungeness crab [Californian] with the same signature hot
sauce sans pomegranate

Red Thai curry with scallops, giant tiger prawns, and live New Zealand
mussels. [Thailand, Far East]

Rotisserie quail with my signature white sauce with porcini mushrooms
[Russia, Europe]

Seared duck foie gras with a sour cherry liqueur sauce [France]

Salmon kulebiaka (salmon en croute) with white truffle sauce
[Russian]

Fried chanterelle and morel mushrooms [Russian, French]

fresh low-salt Russian-style herring garnished with sour crme, onions
and baked potatoes [Russian]

Russian rak (tiny lobster, langoustine) "Olivier" salad with cooked
peas, mayo, lemon, onions, eggs, spices, etc [Russian]

Various sushi rolls, with homemade calrose rice, mirin wine, rice
vinegar, maguro tuna, fresh salmon, unagi eel, fresh hamachi, chives,
tomato strips, cucumber strips, green onions, avocado, steamed
asparagus, wasabi, and capelin roe. [Japan]
///////////////////////////////////////

I also went to a few Chinese, Japanese and Thai restaurants for
lunch. Chinese restaurants in the Bay Area are just like Chinese
restaurants where you live, except they use spices and sauces and
feature meat instead of your beloved cardboard. So, you won't like it.
Nor will you like our sushi: it's fresh and lacks the dirty sock aroma
that you cherish. Plus we have 50 times more seafood choices here and
500 times more varieties of sushi rolls, so your mind won't be able to
digest so much choice. And the term "thai(tie) food" here doesn't
refer to the Armani or Hermes labels, so you won't like it either.

Being a simple mouzhik, I also microwaved German-Canadian wieners for
lunch, served with tomatoes and hot chili sauce

I also microwaved excellent American-style BBQ ribs (with beer, of
course) [Texas]

I also bought Russian-style soups: thick porcini soup , lamb borsch,
veal schi, green summer sorrel schi/borscht; and cooked the thick
split pea soup with smoked pork ribs. [all popular Russia]
/////////////////////////////////////////////
In terms of cold food, I have had:

fresh buffalo mozzarella from Sicily, [Italy]
fresh truffle cheese from Alba, [Italy]
overripe Munster Fermier cheese from Alsace, [France]
smoked Adygeia sulguni cheese from Russia [Caucasus, Russia]
California goat cheese with herbs [France, California]
German feta [popular in Russia]

Russian hot smoked sturgeon, [Russia]
a spoonful of beluga caviar with a Russian blin (crepe) [Russia]
salmon caviar with French bread and Vologda butter; [Russia]
Jewish "forschmack" herring salad [popular in Russia]
smoked Russian semga salmon [Russia]
Riga sprats [Russia, Baltics]
smoked baby eels [Holland, Baltics, Russia] (of course, in Spain they
have those baby eels in their infancy)
Odessa bullheads in tomato sauce [Russian] (I use "Russian" to mean
"Russian cuisine, which means not only the country of Russia but other
countries with the same cuisine, like Ukraine and Belarus and even
sometimes Poland)
Russian calamari jerky (with beer of course)
Russian cod liver
Salmon mousse [France]
sturgeon in aspic [Russia]

tender Russian veal tongue sausage
Ukrainian blood sausage [popular in Russia]
mild salami from Finland [popular in Russia]
Armenian soudjuk and basturma [popular in Russia]
Various cucumber, tomato, cabbage, garlic and other spicy vegetable
pickles with dill. [popular in Russia]
Various Korean pickles, like cabbage kim chee, marinated carrots, etc
[very popular in Russia]

I drank:

fresh raspberry juice, [California]
home sqeezed apple, mandarine and carrot juices,
draft wheat beer from Germany and Belgium,
California cabernet and sauvignon blanc,
French and Russian champagnes/bubblies
French cognac
French sauterne and Italian Muffato dessert wine (with foie gras of
course)

For dessert:

Tiramisu and panna cotta from an Italian cafe in North Beach
Raspberry and mango mousse pastry [French]\
Russian chocolate-glazed cheesecake candies
Polish marmalade in chocolate
Riga's giant Prosit liquor candies [popular in Russia]
Polish and Russian "zefir" and "bird's milk" candies in chocolate
Greek divinity paste with cashews [popular in Russia]
Turkish rakhat loukum with pistachios [popular in Russia]
dark bitter-sweet Swiss orange-flavoured chocolate
Haagen-Dazs ice cream and imported ice cream bars from Russia and
Lithuania
Russian almond cookie pastries
Sugar-coated ripe Siberian cranberries
Russian kefir and riazhenka
Greek/Bulgarian yoghurt
daily morning Cappuccino

I have also had many boxes of fresh strawberries, mangoes, pomellos,
cherries, fresh figs, watermelons, tangerines, and nectarines. In
season, I also love persimmons of both kinds and fei joa.

In other words, I eat the usual foods they like in Russia plus all
kinds of seafood goodies from the Far East.

Too bad US customs don't allow the import of special Pirie mangoes
from Hawaii and mangosteens from the South Pacific.

> You can find just about any cuisine anywhere in the USA... but not Russian.

As you can see, I can find the Russian cuisine as well. But then I am
not a hillbilly like you.

But I do miss all kinds of inexplicably delicious fruits that I used
to eat in Russia: sweet, juicy and aromatic melons from Central Asia
and the Caucasus, sweet lady finger grapes, gigantic juicy
pomegranates, big sweet gooseberries of all kinds, red, yellow and
black currants, wild strawberries, giant Moldovan peaches, bull's
heart tomatoes, mulberries and alike, as well as "pomadka" candies,
torts, pastries, Crimean Black Rock dessert wine, and alike... and
beluga caviar is much less expensive there... plus Chinese restaurants
in Moscow are staffed by top Chefs "imported" from Shanghai and
Beijing. One dish - sizzling lamb and sea cucumber plate in a
delicious sauce - was especially great, accompanied by draft Leffe
beer... right next to my office... with no crowds at lunch... yumm...

> Italian and Mexican are of course favorites

Yes, I live in California. We have authentic Mexican food. It's not
too bad. Amazing how many dishes they create from the same miniscule
list of ingredients: meat, shrimp, rice, cooking cheese, beans,
tortillas, sour crme, tomatoes, avocados and peppers... Simple yet
gaseous. Sure beats the Far Eastern cuisines with their thousands of
years of experimentation and excellence and tens of thousands of
ingredients. :-)

How about Mexican food in your neck of the hills? Does it mean beans,
refried beans, re-refried beans, or do you accompany beans with over-
fried rice wrapped in flat corn cardboard thingies?

> I must have farted and saw multiple Karlamov's in the bubbles.

So, it's mostly beans then?

> but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

I shudder to imagine what these 3 terms mean to you in Appalachia.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.spain

Top-posting to save people wading through all the verbiage below.

Well, Karla has revealed his true core of being. He is a frustrated
comdien and gourmand. Well, maybe in Knigsberg/Kaliningrad there
may be a timeslot available on local TV for a comdien/gourmand to
entertain the muzhiki? You could throw in some "serious" segments on
expalining world politics, history and sociology too. I guarantee
it'll be the best thing on K-grad TV!

By the way, I love Spanish food (no resemblance to Mexican). I don't
talk about it much on SCB, but I speak Spanish fluently and Spain and
its language, people, culture, music, food, wines, soaps etc are my
second love after everything Lithuanian.

On Jul 14, 7:34 am, wrote:
> [...]

> Yes, I live in California. We have authentic Mexican food. It's not
> too bad. Amazing how many dishes they create from the same miniscule
> list of ingredients: meat, shrimp, rice, cooking cheese, beans,
> tortillas, sour crme, tomatoes, avocados and peppers... Simple yet
> gaseous. Sure beats the Far Eastern cuisines with their thousands of
> years of experimentation and excellence and tens of thousands of
> ingredients. :-)
>
> How about Mexican food in your neck of the hills? Does it mean beans,
> refried beans, re-refried beans, or do you accompany beans with over-
> fried rice wrapped in flat corn cardboard thingies?
>

> > I must have farted and saw multiple Karlamov's in the bubbles.

> So, it's mostly beans then?
>

> > but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

> I shudder to imagine what these 3 terms mean to you in Appalachia.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

Lots more "hey look at me, I'm better than you" stuff. Typical Karla fare.
Obviously you spent a lot of time on Wikipedia looking up all that stuff.

You haven't proved any widespread acceptance of Russian food in the US.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

Yes, I live in California. We have authentic Mexican food. It's not
too bad. Amazing how many dishes they create from the same miniscule
list of ingredients: meat, shrimp, rice, cooking cheese, beans,
tortillas, sour crme, tomatoes, avocados and peppers... Simple yet
gaseous. Sure beats the Far Eastern cuisines with their thousands of
years of experimentation and excellence and tens of thousands of
ingredients. :-)

How about Mexican food in your neck of the hills? Does it mean beans,
refried beans, re-refried beans, or do you accompany beans with over-
fried rice wrapped in flat corn cardboard thingies?

> I must have farted and saw multiple Karlamov's in the bubbles.

So, it's mostly beans then?

> but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

I shudder to imagine what these 3 terms mean to you in Appalachia.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On 14 juil, 09:49, "xolodilnik" > wrote:
> You haven't proved any widespread acceptance of Russian food in the US.

The average American (who, let us remember, has a double digit IQ and
can hardly point out Canada and Mexico on a map) knows only
"borsht" (as they write it) and maybe "peeroguey" (as they say it).
And whatever "borsht" and "peeroguey" they may have eaten (at school
ftes and suchlike) is so *******ised that it is hardly recognisable.

By the way, what does " " (cholodilnik) mean? Anything to do
with - cholod ?

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 4:34 am, wrote:

> On Jul 13, 3:59 pm, Brookski "xolodilnik" > wrote:

> > > up here we eat the exact same crap that you do [in USA]

> > You kiddin' me cap?
> > I'll be driving the neighbors crazy tomorrow morning with the smell of fresh
> > baked bread. I just haven't decided whether to do sweet dough with cinnamon
> > and raisins or maybe somethin' else.

> > You can find just about any cuisine anywhere in the USA... but not Russian.
> > Italian and Mexican are of course favorites
> > but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

> [Being from a California metropolis,] I shudder to imagine what these 5 terms mean to you in Appalachia.

I just realized that in Appalachia, the term "foreigner" refers to
somebody who swings from a different family tree.

Family trees in Appalachia don't branch.

A family reunion is considered to be the best way to meet chicks.

"Mixed marriage" denotes any union between people of different sexes.

And "foreign affairs" means dating women who have never attended any
of your family reunions.

People with red necks also tell me that "Volvo" is a holy part of
female anatomy, while the word "genitalia" denotes a Sicilain
airline.

Here are some mo

////////////////////////////////////////
http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html

(Most of these Redneck Jokes can be attributed to Jeff Foxworthy)

You may be a Redneck if ...

You think Sherlock Holmes is a housing project down in Biloxi.

You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

Your state's got a new law that says when a couple get divorced, they
still legally remain brother and sister.

Your house still has the "WIDE LOAD" sign on the back.

You think there's nottin wrong with incest as long as you keep it in
the family.

You think safe sex is a padded headboard.

You and your dog use the same tree.

You think the last words to The Star Spangled Banner are "Gentlemen,
start your engines."

You believe dual air bags refer to your wife and mother-in-law.

You've got more than one brother named 'Darryl'.

Your front porch collapses and four dogs git killed.

Your grandfather died and left everything to his widow.
But she can't touch it until she's fourteen.

You know yer a redneck when you take a load to the dump and bring back
more than you took

You can get dog hair from out of your belly button.

The blue book value of your truck goes up and down
depending on how much gas it has in it.

The third grade teacher says you could be a mathematical genius
because you've got thirteen fingers.

You have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge
(xolodilnik)

Your house doesn't have curtains, but your truck does.

You can tell your age by the number of rings in the bathtub.

You believe that beef jerky and Moon Pies are two of the major food
groups.

You stare at an orange juice container because it says,
"CONCENTRATE".

You couldn't learn to swim because your gene pool is too small.

You think a turtleneck is a key ingredient in a Vietnamese soup.

You think the French Riviera is a foreign car.

Your toilet paper has page numbers on it

You think taking a bubble bath starts with eating beans for dinner.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> > Italian and Mexican [foods] are of course favorites

I know. You love bubble baths:

> > I must have farted and saw multiple Karlamov's in the bubbles.

Do you think TACO BELL is the Mexican Phone Company?

> > but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

Do they serve the Vietnamese turtleneck soup?

At what speed do you think hitting a 'possum becomes fast food: at 55
mph or 65 mph?

Congratulations: you've got all the needed qualifications to become
America's next President:

////////////////////////
http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html

You may be a Redneck if ...your father executes the "pull my finger"
trick during Christmas dinner.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/0...he-first-f_n_2...

US News & World Report | Paul Bedard | August 21, 2006

Animal House in the West Wing

Now we're learning that the first frat boy loves flatulence jokes.
President Bush is a funny, earthy guy who can't get enough of fart
jokes. He's also known to cut a few for laughs, especially when
greeting new young aides
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 7:38 am, " > wrote:
> On 14 juil, 09:49, "xolodilnik" > wrote:
>
> > You haven't proved any widespread acceptance of Russian food in the US.

> The average American (who, let us remember, has a double digit IQ and
> can hardly point out Canada and Mexico on a map) knows only
> "borsht" (as they write it) and maybe "peeroguey" (as they say it).
> And whatever "borsht" and "peeroguey" they may have eaten (at school
> ftes and suchlike) is so *******ised that it is hardly recognisable.
>
> By the way, what does " " (cholodilnik) mean? Anything to do
> with - cholod ?

Yes. He is a refrigerator.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 11:29 am, wrote:

You made me read through all that just to find:

You have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge
(xolodilnik)

Geez, between becoming a comedian and a chef, I'd say chews the
latter ...

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 8:43 am, " > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 11:29 am, wrote:
>
> You made me read through all that just to find:
>
> You have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge
> (xolodilnik)

I am not sure why you picked on this particular joke. "Xolodilnik" is
the Russian word for "fridge". And the rest of this joke is not mine.

The only joke that's mine is the one about foreign affairs.

> Geez, between becoming a comedian and a chef, I'd say chews the
> latter ...

Don't be so hasty. Have you tasted my cooking yet?

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 12:06 pm, wrote:
> > You made me read through all that just to find:

> > You have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge
> > (xolodilnik)

I was referring to the gfact that I was asking "Xolodilnik" to tell us
what his name means. (Mabe you didn't see that one. You appear to
have been on Internet for may hours since before sunrise.)

> > Geez, between becoming a comedian and a chef, I'd say chews the latter ...

> Don't be so hasty. Have you tasted my cooking yet?

I was trying to be [heaven forbid] funny by saying "chews" instead of
"choose"

So I was writing "becoming a comedian and a chef, I'd say choose the
latter" - no offence at all. Being the generous-minded chap that I
am, I don't don't that you could quite possibly be an accomplished
chef.

I call myself a cook rather than a chef, and I like what I prepare,
even if it's not always to everyone elese's got. Anyway, as
Gintullius Caminscus the Elder said: De gustibus non est
disputandum. ("De gustos no hay nada escrito.")

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 9:17 am, " > wrote:
> Anyway, as
> Gintullius Caminscus the Elder said: De gustibus non est
> disputandum. ("De gustos no hay nada escrito.")

O vkusax ne sporiat...

Take a look at

http://otblesk.com/vysotsky/-o-vkusa.htm

and a listen at

http://www.bard.ru/cgi-bin/mp3.cgi?id=885.32

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

On Jul 14, 12:58 pm, wrote:
> On Jul 14, 9:17 am, " > wrote:
>
> > Anyway, as
> > Gintullius Caminscus the Elder said: « De gustibus non est
> > disputandum.» ("De gustos no hay nada escrito.")

> O vkusax ne sporiat...
>
> Take a look at
>
> http://otblesk.com/vysotsky/-o-vkusa.htm
>
> and a listen at
>
> http://www.bard.ru/cgi-bin/mp3.cgi?id=885.32

Very good. Будьте же бдительны: всё относительно.
Всё, всё...

Alles ist relativ ...
Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

karla, i'm beginning to think that you may have exceptionally fast typing
skills. am i correct?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

Yes, I live in California. We have authentic Mexican food. It's not
too bad. Amazing how many dishes they create from the same miniscule
list of ingredients: meat, shrimp, rice, cooking cheese, beans,
tortillas, sour crme, tomatoes, avocados and peppers... Simple yet
gaseous. Sure beats the Far Eastern cuisines with their thousands of
years of experimentation and excellence and tens of thousands of
ingredients. :-)

How about Mexican food in your neck of the hills? Does it mean beans,
refried beans, re-refried beans, or do you accompany beans with over-
fried rice wrapped in flat corn cardboard thingies?

> I must have farted and saw multiple Karlamov's in the bubbles.

So, it's mostly beans then?

> but you can find Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc, etc.

I shudder to imagine what these 3 terms mean to you in Appalachia.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.polish

> wrote in message
ps.com...
On 14 juil, 09:49, "xolodilnik" > wrote:
> You haven't proved any widespread acceptance of Russian food in the US.

- honestly, authentic russian vinigret salad is one of my favorite types of
salad. yum!!!!
homemade piroshki with high quality filling are also high on the list of
deliciousness.