Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

Default American hot dog tastes like cardboard ( Chinese food tastes like cardboard)

On Jul 13, 3:03 pm, "captain." > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Jul 12, 5:05 pm, "xolodilnik" > wrote:
> >> Gourmet Karlamov says it tatstes great though.

> >>http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

> > ,"China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial
> > chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a
> > main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing
> > neighborhood, state television said."

> > Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored
> > with fatty pork and powdered seasoning? This is the authentic recepe
> > for American hot dogs and bologna. All you need is add some sodium
> > nitrate - and you got you Ball Park Franks!

> > Look at these mouth-watering ingredients:

> > OSCAR MAYER COLD CUTS-BOLOGNA-LIGHT

> > Oscar Mayer. What a wholesome sounding German(ic) name.

No way. There is no such first name in German as "Oscar".

///////////////////////
http://www.serve.com/shea/namelist.htm

LIST OF GERMAN FIRST NAMES

Olaf
Oliver
Oskar
Otto

No Oscar. Oscar is American. Especially beloved in Hollywood.

> > Ingredients: MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, WATER, PORK, CORN SYRUP,
> > MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SODIUM LACTATE, SALT,
> > SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE (MADE FROM
> > SUGAR), FLAVOR, SODIUM NITRITE, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, POTASSIUM
> > PHOSPHATE, SUGAR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.

> that's nasty. you shouldn't eat those things karla.

Don't insult me. Of course, I don't. Here is the only hotdog I buy in
USA:

"European Brand Wieners in Natural Sheep Casings from Freybe Gourmet
Foods Ltd., Langley, B.C., Canada"

These doggies may not taste as well as their best relatives in Europe,
but they are much better than anything else I've tasted in North
America and as good as the wieners sold on European street corners.

There is an extra benefit for Brookski: he can re-use the natural
sheep casings for "safe sex" if he shrinks them a little.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
At Freybe, we use only the best cuts and finest spices, smoking our
products with imported beech wood to craft the most flavorful deli
meats, specialty meats, cured meats and sausages. Naturally low in
carbohydrates, all of our products are gluten free and lactose free,
with no liquid smoke, added MSG, mechanically separated meat or
fillers - making them healthy choices for your dinner table.
In 1844, Johann Carl Freybe started off in a new direction for his
family. Earning his Master of Sausage Making degree, he opened the
first Freybe store in Stettin (then Prussia), and the rest is sausage-
making history. Following in his fathers footsteps, Otto's son Carl
Freybe became a strong activist in promoting the sausage and meat
industry in Germany - so much so that after his death in 1982, the
Carl Freybe medal was created to honor individuals who do the most to
promote the meat industry in Germany. In 1945, Ulrich - Carl's second
of three sons - moved the family business from Stettin (now Poland) to
Hannover, Germany. Ten years later, Ulrich traveled to Vancouver,
Canada with a selection of sausage-making equipment. Realizing the
potential for Freybe product in the local market, Ulrich and his
younger brother Walter started a production facility on Georgia Street
in East Vancouver. Over the next 30 years, our company grew to
produce over 120 varieties of sausage, ham and specialty meat
products, while protecting all the values and time-honored traditions
that have made Freybe products famous throughout the world.
//////////////////////////////////

You've heard of Vancouver, Canada, haven't you, Captain? :-)

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 1:40 am, wrote:
> On Jul 13, 3:03 pm, "captain." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > > ,"China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial
> > > chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a
> > > main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing
> > > neighborhood, state television said."

> > > Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored
> > > with fatty pork and powdered seasoning? This is the authentic recepe
> > > for American hot dogs and bologna. All you need is add some sodium
> > > nitrate - and you got you Ball Park Franks!

> > > Look at these mouth-watering ingredients:

> > > OSCAR MAYER COLD CUTS-BOLOGNA-LIGHT

> > > Oscar Mayer. What a wholesome sounding German(ic) name.

> No way. There is no such first name in German as "Oscar".
>
> ///////////////////////http://www.serve.com/shea/namelist.htm
>
> LIST OF GERMAN FIRST NAMES
>
> Olaf
> Oliver
> Oskar
> Otto
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>
> No Oscar. Oscar is American. Especially beloved in Hollywood.
>

> > > Ingredients: MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, WATER, PORK, CORN SYRUP,
> > > MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SODIUM LACTATE, SALT,
> > > SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE (MADE FROM
> > > SUGAR), FLAVOR, SODIUM NITRITE, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, POTASSIUM
> > > PHOSPHATE, SUGAR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.

> > that's nasty. you shouldn't eat those things karla.

> Don't insult me. Of course, I don't. Here is the only hotdog I buy in
> USA:
>
> "European Brand Wieners in Natural Sheep Casings from Freybe Gourmet
> Foods Ltd., Langley, B.C., Canada"
>
> These doggies may not taste as well as their best relatives in Europe,
> but they are much better than anything else I've tasted in North
> America and as good as the wieners sold on European street corners.

You are disadvantaged on the west coast. Chicago has mass produced,
and quite decent, Vieena Beef:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_style_hot_dog

http://www.viennabeef.com/

regards,

BM

> There is an extra benefit for Brookski: he can re-use the natural
> sheep casings for "safe sex" if he shrinks them a little.
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////
> At Freybe, we use only the best cuts and finest spices, smoking our
> products with imported beech wood to craft the most flavorful deli
> meats, specialty meats, cured meats and sausages. Naturally low in
> carbohydrates, all of our products are gluten free and lactose free,
> with no liquid smoke, added MSG, mechanically separated meat or
> fillers - making them healthy choices for your dinner table.
> In 1844, Johann Carl Freybe started off in a new direction for his
> family. Earning his Master of Sausage Making degree, he opened the
> first Freybe store in Stettin (then Prussia), and the rest is sausage-
> making history. Following in his fathers footsteps, Otto's son Carl
> Freybe became a strong activist in promoting the sausage and meat
> industry in Germany - so much so that after his death in 1982, the
> Carl Freybe medal was created to honor individuals who do the most to
> promote the meat industry in Germany. In 1945, Ulrich - Carl's second
> of three sons - moved the family business from Stettin (now Poland) to
> Hannover, Germany. Ten years later, Ulrich traveled to Vancouver,
> Canada with a selection of sausage-making equipment. Realizing the
> potential for Freybe product in the local market, Ulrich and his
> younger brother Walter started a production facility on Georgia Street
> in East Vancouver. Over the next 30 years, our company grew to
> produce over 120 varieties of sausage, ham and specialty meat
> products, while protecting all the values and time-honored traditions
> that have made Freybe products famous throughout the world.
> //////////////////////////////////
>
> You've heard of Vancouver, Canada, haven't you, Captain? :-)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Jul 13, 3:03 pm, "captain." > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
>>> ,"China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial
>>> chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a
>>> main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing
>>> neighborhood, state television said."
>>> Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored
>>> with fatty pork and powdered seasoning? This is the authentic recepe
>>> for American hot dogs and bologna. All you need is add some sodium
>>> nitrate - and you got you Ball Park Franks!
>>> Look at these mouth-watering ingredients:
>>> OSCAR MAYER COLD CUTS-BOLOGNA-LIGHT

>>> Oscar Mayer. What a wholesome sounding German(ic) name.

> No way. There is no such first name in German as "Oscar".
>
> ///////////////////////

.......... snip ...........
> ///////////////////////
>
> No Oscar. Oscar is American. Especially beloved in Hollywood.
>
>>> Ingredients: MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, WATER, PORK, CORN SYRUP,
>>> MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SODIUM LACTATE, SALT,
>>> SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE (MADE FROM
>>> SUGAR), FLAVOR, SODIUM NITRITE, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, POTASSIUM
>>> PHOSPHATE, SUGAR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.

>> that's nasty. you shouldn't eat those things karla.

But I'm certain that Krafts' OSCAR MAYER brand BOLOGNA-LIGHT has all
the appropriate healthy and clean preparation approval stamps,
perhaps even one from the heart institute.

> Don't insult me. Of course, I don't. Here is the only hotdog I buy in
> USA:
>
> "European Brand Wieners in Natural Sheep Casings from Freybe Gourmet
> Foods Ltd., Langley, B.C., Canada"
>
> These doggies may not taste as well as their best relatives in Europe,
> but they are much better than anything else I've tasted in North
> America and as good as the wieners sold on European street corners.
>
> There is an extra benefit for Brookski: he can re-use the natural
> sheep casings for "safe sex" if he shrinks them a little.
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ingredient list please!

> At Freybe, we use only the best cuts and finest spices, smoking our
> products with imported beech wood to craft the most flavorful deli
> meats, specialty meats, cured meats and sausages. Naturally low in
> carbohydrates, all of our products are gluten free and lactose free,
> with no liquid smoke, added MSG, mechanically separated meat or
> fillers - making them healthy choices for your dinner table.
> In 1844, Johann Carl Freybe started off in a new direction for his
> family. Earning his Master of Sausage Making degree, he opened the
> first Freybe store in Stettin (then Prussia), and the rest is sausage-
> making history. Following in his fathers footsteps, Otto's son Carl
> Freybe became a strong activist in promoting the sausage and meat
> industry in Germany - so much so that after his death in 1982, the
> Carl Freybe medal was created to honor individuals who do the most to
> promote the meat industry in Germany. In 1945, Ulrich - Carl's second
> of three sons - moved the family business from Stettin (now Poland) to
> Hannover, Germany. Ten years later, Ulrich traveled to Vancouver,
> Canada with a selection of sausage-making equipment. Realizing the
> potential for Freybe product in the local market, Ulrich and his
> younger brother Walter started a production facility on Georgia Street
> in East Vancouver. Over the next 30 years, our company grew to
> produce over 120 varieties of sausage, ham and specialty meat
> products, while protecting all the values and time-honored traditions
> that have made Freybe products famous throughout the world.
> //////////////////////////////////
>
> You've heard of Vancouver, Canada, haven't you, Captain? :-)

If vkarlamov won't supply the ingredient list from the package
stored in his ice box cap'n, then perhaps you can.
Also does/do the Freybe products carry all the appropriate
permission stamps?
Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
wrote:

Please don't forget that when he visited the United States, CPSU First
secretary Nikita Khrushchev , after taking his first sip of Coca-Cola,
said "Yech! Kvass is better", but made a major backtrack after his first
bite of a hotdog: "A masterpiece of the sausage-maker's art!" he quipped.

Regards,
Eugene Holman
Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 8:47 am, Eugene Holman > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> wrote:
>
> Please don't forget that when he visited the United States, CPSU First
> secretary Nikita Khrushchev , after taking his first sip of Coca-Cola,
> said "Yech! Kvass is better", but made a major backtrack after his first
> bite of a hotdog: "A masterpiece of the sausage-maker's art!" he quipped.

Quipped? You mean, he was joking?

In any case, do you have a reference?

I suppose the American way of putting the frank and condiments between
the buns was indeed s good idea, unknown in the USSR. In the USSR,
they used to eat franks from the regular plate, usually with hot peas
and french fries, or mashed potatoes, and maybe mustard.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 4:38 pm, wrote:
> I suppose the American way of putting the frank and condiments between
> the buns was indeed s good idea, unknown in the USSR. In the USSR,
> they used to eat franks from the regular plate, usually with hot peas
> and french fries, or mashed potatoes, and maybe mustard.

What are French fries called in Russian? Did they have them before a
decade and a half ago? They sort of existed in Lithuania, but weren't
paid much attention to, certainly weren't worshipped like now.
Instead, why had kugelis and bulviniu blynu, not to mention cepelinu.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 2:18 pm, " > wrote:
> On Jul 15, 4:38 pm, wrote:
>
> > I suppose the American way of putting the frank and condiments between
> > the buns was indeed s good idea, unknown in the USSR. In the USSR,
> > they used to eat franks from the regular plate, usually with hot peas
> > and french fries, or mashed potatoes, and maybe mustard.

> What are French fries called in Russian?

"Kartofel fri". (from the French "frit" (fried)).

> Did they have them before a decade and a half ago?

Yes. certainly, fried potatoes have for centuries been a Russian
staple, especially fried chanterelles/cepes/morels with fried
potatoes, sour cream and dill.

Deep fried potatoes (real french fries) were not a home but a
restaurant food (need too much oil/butter).

> They sort of existed in Lithuania, but weren't
> paid much attention to, certainly weren't worshipped like now.

My parents took me to restaurants only on vacations, and most my
summer vacations were spent in Druskinikai, Lithuania. So, ironically,
I associate french fries with Lithuania.

> Instead, why had kugelis and bulviniu blynu,

What does "bulviniu" mean?

> not to mention cepelinu.

Yes, in Russia cepelini are considered the quintessential Lithuanian
dish. But they usually refer to them as "
( )" (didjukulai).

I also loved the Lithuanian rendition of golubtsi (cabbage rolls) with
sour cream/tomato sauce.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 6:40 pm, wrote:
> > What are French fries called in Russian?

> "Kartofel fri". (from the French "frit" (fried)).

Yep. These days in Lithuania - bulv s fri. (Bulv = potato, same
word as 'bulb'.)

> My parents took me to restaurants only on vacations, and most my
> summer vacations were spent in Druskinikai, Lithuania. So, ironically,
> I associate french fries with Lithuania.

Go figure! :-) I was in Druskininkai a few weeks ago. They have an
'aquatic park' now. Is good. I compared scantily clad Lithuanian,
Russian, Polish, American and British females. No prizes for guessing
which I preferred. British were no. 2. (Españolas would have been,
had there been any españolas present.)

> > Instead, why had kugelis and bulviniu blynu,

> What does "bulviniu" mean?

As per above, bulv = potato, same word as 'bulb'. {I believe
belaruskij uses the word too.}

> > not to mention cepelinu.

> Yes, in Russia cepelini are considered the quintessential Lithuanian dish.. But they usually refer to them as " > ( )" (didjukulai).

Far out! We always called them cepelinai until a few years ago the
language academy said we should call them didžkukuliai, which means
'big dumplings'.

> I also loved the Lithuanian rendition of golubtsi (cabbage rolls)

with sour cream/tomato sauce.

Yes! Baland liai in Lithuanian (= little doves). It's an art. Ever
made any?

My mother used to smack us for wanting ketchup on the above foods.
Now Lithuanians do it all the time. Especially on šašlikai. Ah,
juniper (kadagys) smoked šašlikai, made from lamb (not pork), the
Georgian way.

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> that's nasty. you shouldn't eat those things karla.
>>

> Don't insult me. Of course, I don't. Here is the only hotdog I buy in
> USA:
>
> "European Brand Wieners in Natural Sheep Casings from Freybe Gourmet
> Foods Ltd., Langley, B.C., Canada"

langley is one district north east of where i live. do you want me to go the
factory and tell them that karla from the USA likes to eat their wieners?

nice properties out there.

p.s. lol(ing) @ the "Master of Sausage Making degree".

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

"The Black Monk" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> You are disadvantaged on the west coast. Chicago has mass produced,
> and quite decent, Vieena Beef:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_style_hot_dog
>
> http://www.viennabeef.com/

chicago was (maybe still is?) well known for having many slaughterhouses. it
would stand to reason that a good cut of beef can certainly be found there.
you guys are famous for good pizza! ( you don't turn your nose up at such
culinary delights do you? )

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" > wrote in message

>> /////////////////////////////////////////////////

> Ingredient list please!

-heh, yeah, i laughed a bit at that too...

>> At Freybe, we use only the best cuts and finest spices, smoking our
>> products with imported beech wood to craft the most flavorful deli
>> meats, specialty meats, cured meats and sausages. Naturally low in
>> carbohydrates, all of our products are gluten free and lactose free,
>> with no liquid smoke, added MSG, mechanically separated meat or
>> fillers - making them healthy choices for your dinner table.
>> In 1844, Johann Carl Freybe started off in a new direction for his
>> family. Earning his Master of Sausage Making degree, he opened the
>> first Freybe store in Stettin (then Prussia), and the rest is sausage-
>> making history. Following in his fathers footsteps, Otto's son Carl
>> Freybe became a strong activist in promoting the sausage and meat
>> industry in Germany - so much so that after his death in 1982, the
>> Carl Freybe medal was created to honor individuals who do the most to
>> promote the meat industry in Germany. In 1945, Ulrich - Carl's second
>> of three sons - moved the family business from Stettin (now Poland) to
>> Hannover, Germany. Ten years later, Ulrich traveled to Vancouver,
>> Canada with a selection of sausage-making equipment. Realizing the
>> potential for Freybe product in the local market, Ulrich and his
>> younger brother Walter started a production facility on Georgia Street
>> in East Vancouver. Over the next 30 years, our company grew to
>> produce over 120 varieties of sausage, ham and specialty meat
>> products, while protecting all the values and time-honored traditions
>> that have made Freybe products famous throughout the world.
>> //////////////////////////////////
>>
>> You've heard of Vancouver, Canada, haven't you, Captain? :-)
>>

> If vkarlamov won't supply the ingredient list from the package
> stored in his ice box cap'n, then perhaps you can.
> Also does/do the Freybe products carry all the appropriate
> permission stamps?

Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

I compared scantily clad Lithuanian,
Russian, Polish, American and British females. No prizes for guessing
which I preferred. British were no. 2. (Españolas would have been,
had there been any españolas present.)

- were they all wearing flags on their bathing suits or were you hiding
close by in the bushes where you could hear them speaking and maybe do....
other things?