Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch Today

I posted a joking reply to Steve Wertz a couple days ago about how bad
the food is at LA Superior Court. Well, guess where I wound up at
lunchtime today, but LA Superior Court on a hearing that should have
been over way, way sooner (had a judge who just loved the sound of his
own voice). The two lawyers, our client and I, the trusty and faithful
paralegal, really didn't have time to go across the street to the only
decent restaurant within blocks of LA Superior, as we needed to put
together a hasty smokescreen <cough> erm, that is, I meant to say, a
reasoned defense against the opposition. We took a stroll between the
two sided cafeteria line to see if there was anything on offer that we
could a) actually choke down, and b) would not result in
gastrointestinal distress during the continuation of the hearing.
Okay, we're looking at bad tacos, fish that has been in a steamer tray
since what appears to be the Reagan administration, ditto the "swiss
steak," "baked" chicken that looked as if it had come as close to
being baked as the pot it was boiled in, and a marginal salad bar
without a sneeze guard. There is also a build-your-own sammidge bar
that actually has tongs, but observed that few people were using them.

Says Attorney #1, "So, how fast do you think we can get a lunch across
the street?"

Fortunately, the restaurant across the street is used to this and the
wait staff is well staffed at lunchtime. I had a martini. Very dry.
Up. No vegetables or citrus to take up room in the glass.

Noticed that most of the diners at the court cafeteria were jurors. No
wonder we get so many defendant verdicts <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote

> Fortunately, the restaurant across the street is used to this and the
> wait staff is well staffed at lunchtime. I had a martini. Very dry.
> Up. No vegetables or citrus to take up room in the glass.

I'm glad you got out of the courthouse. I have noticed that wherever
there are larger courts (county), there are lots of bars. Drinking bars,
not legal bars. Often they have clever names like Court Jester. They
usually
have decent food, too.

> Noticed that most of the diners at the court cafeteria were jurors. No
> wonder we get so many defendant verdicts <g>

Heh, bad enough you're stuck there on jury duty, you have an awful
lunch. Luckily in the years since I was first called for duty they have
put up a mall nearby the court so I can kill time and grab lunch. This is
where Ruby Tuesday came in last time, I could sit at a booth and have
salad bar and iced tea, easy on the stomach because who wants to have
digestive issues when you're trapped in the courthouse.

Of course, they have a food court (harrr) there too, but I'm not the food
court type. If I can avoid it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd said...

> Fortunately, the restaurant across the street is used to this and the
> wait staff is well staffed at lunchtime. I had a martini. Very dry.
> Up. No vegetables or citrus to take up room in the glass.
>
> Noticed that most of the diners at the court cafeteria were jurors. No
> wonder we get so many defendant verdicts <g>

The county courthouse is in my town. The jurors (I don't know about
council) all get "Juror" pins to wear into restaurants. They get "faster"
service and 10% off.

There's the obligatory "Court Diner" a couple blocks away. The sign out
front has been tilted for years and getting worse.

Media, PA Population
By Day: 30,000
By Night: 6,000

I've had attorneys hand me business cards on "Main Street," like barkers in
front of strip clubs! Shameless BUMS!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:27:34 -0500, Steve Wertz
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Happy birthday slightly in advance :-) So where do you want to
>go - Ribs and plenty of cocktails? (I'm just guessing, of
>course). The two of us could really damage the "Free Birthday
>Menu" profits if we hit several locations in one night.

<Blink!> You have an upcoming birthday or are we pre-celebrating mine?
"Memphis" in Santa Ana has great dry ribs and great cocktails...and is
conveniently close to the jail - and my office, should we need my boss
to bail us out. You buyin'? OTOH, it's also conveniently close to my
DH's office <g>

>Oh, jail:
>
>While I've never been in Orange County jail, yet, I've heard
>stories. My usual lunch fare in other county jails would be two
>forcemeat sandwiches with random, mismatched day-old bread, a
>slightly moldy orange, and a hard-boiled egg. The drinking water
>comes out of the top of toilet in a 1/2" dribble-stream.

Joy.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>without a sneeze guard. There is also a build-your-own sammidge bar
>that actually has tongs, but observed that few people were using them.

So you're looking at the tongs, and wondering, what have
more grubby people touched, that nice clean piece of meat
on top of the pile, or these tongs (that probably weren't
all that well washed last time through the kitchen,
neither)?

>Fortunately, the restaurant across the street is used to this and the
>wait staff is well staffed at lunchtime. I had a martini. Very dry.
>Up. No vegetables or citrus to take up room in the glass.

There's a Chinese place about two blocks from the
courthouse in downtown Phoenix. I don't think I've
ever had faster sit-down Chinese.

>Noticed that most of the diners at the court cafeteria were jurors. No
>wonder we get so many defendant verdicts <g>

Jurors are there for a day or two; no knowledge of
alternatives. Just makes jury duty more like the
imprisonment that it is.

--Blair