Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org

Default Any health-related reasons for avoiding large meals right before going to bed?

Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
before going to bed.
Just wonder if this is advisable.

--
Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software
http://nutritionsoftware.org

Sylvia

> I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so before going to bed.

AFAIK, this isn't recommended because of your body's pattern of energy
use. As the meal is digested, simple carbohydrates and protein elevate
the blood sugar. During the day, this energy is used in your normal
activities; while you sleep, it's more likely to be converted and stored
as fat. Hardly a major end-of-the-world problem, but you asked.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Jeff

If you have problems with reflux, you will have stomach contents (partially
digested food with lots of stomach acid) moving up your esophagus. This can
damage your esophagus. This is a reason to eat several hours before bed.

Jeff

"Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002 > wrote in
message m...
> Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
> before going to bed.
> Just wonder if this is advisable.
>
> --
> Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software

http://nutritionsoftware.org

Dan

Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org wrote:

> Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
> before going to bed.
> Just wonder if this is advisable.

I think it stands to reason that a bigger percentage of the ingested
calories will be converted to stored fat since your body doesn't burn as
many calories as when awake. However, I have read in The Zone
literature that it is good to eat a Zone snack before bed so that the
brain has adequate fuel for its sleep states.

-- Dan

Jeff

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org wrote:
>
> > Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
> > before going to bed.
> > Just wonder if this is advisable.
> >

> I think it stands to reason that a bigger percentage of the ingested
> calories will be converted to stored fat since your body doesn't burn as
> many calories as when awake.

And that fat will be burned the next day, because you won't consume enough
calories from the time you wake up until you eat dinner. In other words, it
doesn;t matter that much.

> However, I have read in The Zone
> literature that it is good to eat a Zone snack before bed so that the
> brain has adequate fuel for its sleep states.

No. You have enough glucose stored in your liver (as glycogen) to get you
over the night without a snack before bed. Besides, you brain can burn
ketone bodies (which come from fat metabolism) for some of its calories.

Jeff

> -- Dan

Steve Knight

dOn Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:08:38 -0400, "Jeff" > wrote:

>If you have problems with reflux, you will have stomach contents (partially
>digested food with lots of stomach acid) moving up your esophagus. This can
>damage your esophagus. This is a reason to eat several hours before bed.

this is a nasty thing. I end up breathing it and that is even more fun. it
happens just as I nod off. a real rude awakening. if I eating the wrong things I
can have it happen 6 or more hours after I ate.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Julianne

People with hiatal hernias or gastric reflux should sit up for at least an
hour before going to bed so food doesn't back up into the esophagus. If you
don't have this problem, eating before bed shouldn't be an issue.

"Trent Duke" > wrote in message
> I wouldn't say there are any major health related reasons but...
>
> Your body burns less calories while you eat, hence the calories can be
> stored rather than used, especially if the meal is very large.
>
> So if you keep doing this and see any unhealthy weight gain, stop.
>
> If you are only doing it temporarily due to business trips or whatever, no
> need to be concerned unless you are suffering from some disease or another
> already (then check with your doc).
>
> HTH
>
> Trent
>

> -- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @
>

> > From: "Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002

> > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition
> > Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:46:29 GMT
> > Subject: Any health-related reasons for avoiding large meals right

before
> > going to bed?
> >
> > Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
> > before going to bed.
> > Just wonder if this is advisable.
> >
> > --
> > Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition

Software
> > http://nutritionsoftware.org

Trent Duke

I wouldn't say there are any major health related reasons but...

Your body burns less calories while you eat, hence the calories can be
stored rather than used, especially if the meal is very large.

So if you keep doing this and see any unhealthy weight gain, stop.

If you are only doing it temporarily due to business trips or whatever, no
need to be concerned unless you are suffering from some disease or another
already (then check with your doc).

HTH

Trent

-- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @

> From: "Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org" <nseditor2002 >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition
> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:46:29 GMT
> Subject: Any health-related reasons for avoiding large meals right before
> going to bed?
>
> Because of recent trips, I frequently ate large meals just an hour or so
> before going to bed.
> Just wonder if this is advisable.
>
> --
> Editor, Internet's Convenient and Unbiased Directory of Nutrition Software
> http://nutritionsoftware.org

Linda

Default Any health-related reasons for avoiding large meals rightbefor...

It's all right as long as you enjoy the pleasure of "heart burn" IMHO.

Russell.Beale

> > However, I have read in The Zone
> > literature that it is good to eat a Zone snack before bed so that the
> > brain has adequate fuel for its sleep states.

Is it just me, or have other people also noticed that *everything* about the
Zone diet has a *product* of some sort attached to it...??

Russ.