Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outback Steakhouse

This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.

One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
too.

This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
$15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
of everything to eat tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 12:20 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>
> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
> thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
> makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
> ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
> edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
> garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
> hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
> wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
> appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
> too.
>
> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
> $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
> of everything to eat tonight.

That IS a surprise! I feel the same way about Outback that you (once)
did. I suppose every dog has his day.

Glad you enjoyed your meal though. A nice steak & potato is always a
great thing.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>
> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
> thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
> makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
> ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
> edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
> garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
> hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
> wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
> appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
> too.
>
> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
> $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
> of everything to eat tonight.

Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d

I love the Rack of Lamb.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
> >
> > One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
> > thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
> > makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
> > ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
> > edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
> > garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> > broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
> > hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> > surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
> > wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
> > appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
> > too.
> >
> > This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> > Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
> > $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
> > of everything to eat tonight.

> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
>
> I love the Rack of Lamb.
> --
> Peace, Om

Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked their
food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I got my
money's worth and would go more often if I could.

I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
(and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>
> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an
> inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was
> round, if that makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff
> you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little
> border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic
> salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub. The baked
> potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the broccoli was
> steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The hot
> ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The
> hot wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite
> "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as
> always. Service was great, too.
>
> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

Nice! I've never been to an Outback, so I can't say anything good or bad
about it. I'll have to Google for a menu. Do they have anything besides
steaks?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>
> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
> thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if
> that makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when
> you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of
> grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor
> but what may have been a fresh garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect,
> very hot and velvety, and the broccoli was steamed to a fresh green
> color but tender, not half raw. The hot ceramic plates they served the
> food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant surprise to find the potato still
> hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot wheat bread with whipped butter
> was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy and
> deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great, too.
>
> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

I never got excited about Outback sh. Ate there once and it was so-so, but
I did buy a box of their steak knives.

At a boomerang tournament one year we were sponsored by Fosters beer and
Outback sh. Outback set up grills on the sidelines. It was 115° F. on the
field and they cooked up the hot spiciest and saltiest beef I've ever ate.
Like they were trying to kill us off. I grabbed a handful of lettuce salad
and gobbled it down. And FOSTERS was nowhere in sight! The BUMS!!!

A friend used to cook at Outback sh and said they don't charcoal grill
their steaks, they pan grill them and then brand them with grill marks.
Cheapness. The BUMS!!!

Glad you had a good experience!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article >, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>>>
>>> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an
>>> inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was
>>> round, if that makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff
>>> you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little
>>> border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic
>>> salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub. The baked
>>> potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the broccoli was
>>> steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The hot
>>> ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a
>>> pleasant surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the
>>> meal. The hot wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the
>>> requisite "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy and deep-fried
>>> delicious as always. Service was great, too.
>>>
>>> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten
>>> at Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
>>> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
>>> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

>> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
>> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
>>
>> I love the Rack of Lamb.
>> --
>> Peace, Om

> Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.

(snip)

> Sky

I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> > Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> > It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
> >
> > I love the Rack of Lamb.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked their
> food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I got my
> money's worth and would go more often if I could.
>
> I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
> chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
> franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
> donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
> (and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.
>
> Sky

Last time we went, the chef came out and personally asked me some
questions before he prepared my meal. :-) I was trying to stay low carb
and while he understood that, he wanted to make sure I understood what
he planned to prepare.

It was cool.

The Rack of Lamb had also been removed from the menu due to a shortage
of availability, but turns out that a small amount was still available
for "custom" requests. They had some on hand that night.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
> >
> > One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an
> > inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was
> > round, if that makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff
> > you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little
> > border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic
> > salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub. The baked
> > potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the broccoli was
> > steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The hot
> > ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> > surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The
> > hot wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite
> > "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as
> > always. Service was great, too.
> >
> > This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> > Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
> > standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
> > brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

> Nice! I've never been to an Outback, so I can't say anything good or bad
> about it. I'll have to Google for a menu. Do they have anything besides
> steaks?
>
> kili

Oh yes!

And unlike some places, they are not bitchy about menu substitutions!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Skyhooks wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
>>> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
>>>
>>> I love the Rack of Lamb.
>>> --
>>> Peace, Om

>> Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
>> their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
>> got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
>>

> (snip)
>
>> Sky

> I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
> closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
> about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
> restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?
>
> kili

Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up and deep
fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their fake-outdoor-decor
competitors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 12:00 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:

> I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
> closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
> about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
> restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?
>

> kili

But that's true for 99% of the restaurants in business. The food they
serve, most all of it can be made at home. Sometimes it's just nice
to eat out and let someone else do the cooking and the dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up and deep
> fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their fake-outdoor-decor
> competitors.

It's delicious and yes.

Chili's serves a similar item, the Awesome Blossom.

Better than onion rings!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:00:52 -0400, kilikini wrote:
>
> > I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
> > closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost.

> I haven't seen their menu in years. It looks like I still won't
> see it for another decade.
>
> http://www.outback.com/getmenu.asp?GetMenuStoreID=4443
> "Page Not Found"
>
> -sw

Oh for pity...

Let me know when your Birthday is!

http://www.outbacksteakhouse.co.jp/en/menu/index.html
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> >> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
> >>
> >> I love the Rack of Lamb.
> >> --
> >> Peace, Om

> > Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> > their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> > got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
> >

> (snip)
>
> > Sky

> I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
> closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
> about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
> restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?
>
> kili

I go out to eat more for the experience and service than for any
particular entree. I've only been to Outback a couple of times, and I'd
definitely go back. Now to win the Lotto

Sky, who's knocking on wood anywho <g>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 10:15 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> "kilikini" > wrote:
> > cybercat wrote:
> > > This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.

> > > One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an
> > > inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was
> > > round, if that makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff
> > > you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little
> > > border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic
> > > salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub. The baked
> > > potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the broccoli was
> > > steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The hot
> > > ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> > > surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The
> > > hot wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite
> > > "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as
> > > always. Service was great, too.

> > > This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> > > Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
> > > standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
> > > brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

> > Nice! I've never been to an Outback, so I can't say anything good or bad
> > about it. I'll have to Google for a menu. Do they have anything besides
> > steaks?

> > kili

> Oh yes!
>
> And unlike some places, they are not bitchy about menu substitutions!
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

My daughter is a server at the Flagstaff, AZ location. She said that
they have to try to accommodate any special requests a customer makes.
Someone in a group she served wanted a cheese omelet so the cooks made
one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

I don't know. I think they're food is just OK with prices that seem
high. Also the last few times I went the service was miserable, with
the last standing out. I ordered the outback special medium rare and
it was well done, my grandfather ordered the prime rib well and it was
rare. (we switched, though neither of us was happy because god only
knows how long we'd have to wait for new meals.) This took an hour and
a half to get to us. And they neglected to put in my daughter's dinner
order, which meant a longer wait so that she could eat. When I
complained they said, "sorry but we're busy". I HATE that excuse more
than any other. Your level of "busy" should not effect my food quality
or service. And every food server worth his salt knows that kids
should be served ASAP.

--
-Gina in Italy

"evil government scientist Dirk Benedict."
- Anim8rFSK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> > >
> >> In article >, "cybercat"

> usual.

> an >>> inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was

> stuff >>> you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good
> little >>> border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed
> no garlic >>> salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub.
> The baked >>> potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> broccoli was >>> steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half
> raw. The hot >>> ceramic plates they served the food on kept it
> hot--it was a >>> pleasant surprise to find the potato still hot ten
> minutes into the >>> meal. The hot wheat bread with whipped butter
> was nice, and the >>> requisite "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy
> and deep-fried >>> delicious as always. Service was great, too.

> the >>> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great
> value. I >>> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.
> > >
> >> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> >> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
> > >
> >> I love the Rack of Lamb.
> >> --
> >> Peace, Om

> > Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> > their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> > got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
> >

> (snip)
>
> > Sky

> I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the
> location closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half
> the cost. How about some original signature dishes? That's what I
> look for in a restaurant; something original and different. Maybe
> I'm just weird?
>
> kili

And I'm somehow doubting that "shrimp in cream sauce" is an australian
specialty..lol. They're pork chops are good, I've heard.

--
-Gina in Italy

"evil government scientist Dirk Benedict."
- Anim8rFSK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up
> > and deep fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their
> > fake-outdoor-decor competitors.

> It's delicious and yes.
>
> Chili's serves a similar item, the Awesome Blossom.
>
> Better than onion rings!

Yeah, that's the only thing to get at outback IMO. The only thing to
get at chilis are those chicken/bacon/monterey jack fajitas. or the
chicken and shrimp fajitas :-)

--
-Gina in Italy

"evil government scientist Dirk Benedict."
- Anim8rFSK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Skyhooks > wrote:
>
> > > Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> > > It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
> > >
> > > I love the Rack of Lamb.
> > > --
> > > Peace, Om

> > Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> > their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> > got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
> >
> > I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
> > chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
> > franchisees are very active in their local communities with
> > financial donations and personnel participation in projects like
> > house building (and such). At least this is what I've noticed
> > first-hand in my area.
> >
> > Sky

> Last time we went, the chef came out and personally asked me some
> questions before he prepared my meal. :-) I was trying to stay low
> carb and while he understood that, he wanted to make sure I
> understood what he planned to prepare.

Wow. Was that the original restaraunt or something?lol

--
-Gina in Italy

"evil government scientist Dirk Benedict."
- Anim8rFSK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:54:18 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:20:47 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
>> thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
>> makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
>> ribeye at the grocery.

>Round rib-eyes are grown in laboratories. I can't think of any
>other way to get them round without removing something important.
>
>I *want* the fat rim around my ribeye (or strip). I'm a big boy -
>I can trim off what I don't want. I don't want some steak that
>came out of a cookie-cutter.

That's not the way it works in restaurants. Well, the good ones,
anyway. They aren't trying to make them round and they don't trim them
to try to do you a favor. They get steaks in 100 lb boxes. The steaks
are all sizes. But if the menu offers 10 oz and 16 oz ribeyes, then
they have to trim them to 10 oz and 16 oz, even if they have to remove
"something important". They try their best to make them all identical,
including the muscle/fat ratio, so that if 8 people at a table all
order the 16 oz ribeye, nobody feels cheated. At our local steakhouse,
not a chain, the larger pieces off of the trimmings then become
kabobs, and the smaller pieces are ground and served as ground steak.
I always get the ground steak. It's 10 oz of ground ribeye, and it's
the best I've ever eaten, and it's the only ground meat that I don't
grind myself that I'd ever order medium rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, AND... those boomerangs they hang on the walls... never in a million
years will they return!!! They're sticks!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Omelet > said:
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
> >
> > One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
> > thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
> > makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
> > ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
> > edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh

> > garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> > broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
> > hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
> > surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
> > wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"

> > appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
> > too.
> >
> > This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
> > Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
> > $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
> > of everything to eat tonight.

> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
> It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d
>
> I love the Rack of Lamb.

I've yet to have a bad experience at our Outback (Olympia, WA).
Their steamed veggies are wonderful, and we get the deep fried
mushrooms instead of the onion. DS will be turning 10 in a few
days, so I suspect we'll be going there soon... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> > And unlike some places, they are not bitchy about menu substitutions!
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> My daughter is a server at the Flagstaff, AZ location. She said that
> they have to try to accommodate any special requests a customer makes.
> Someone in a group she served wanted a cheese omelet so the cooks made
> one.

Heh! I try to be reasonable on my requests, just making some alternate
on-menu substitutes. :-)

But that's cool to hear!

I don't even bother with Red Lobster any more. Mom and I walked out once
when they refused to make a simple substitution.

That was our last visit.

No loss anyway. RL is not exactly Haute cuisine!
And over-priced to boot.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"ravenlynne" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> >
> > > Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up
> > > and deep fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their
> > > fake-outdoor-decor competitors.

> > It's delicious and yes.
> >
> > Chili's serves a similar item, the Awesome Blossom.
> >
> > Better than onion rings!

> Yeah, that's the only thing to get at outback IMO. The only thing to
> get at chilis are those chicken/bacon/monterey jack fajitas. or the
> chicken and shrimp fajitas :-)

I rather liked the Shrimp Quesadillas!

I've not been to a Chili's in years tho'. The food tends to be way
over-salted.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"ravenlynne" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> > > their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> > > got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
> > >
> > > I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
> > > chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
> > > franchisees are very active in their local communities with
> > > financial donations and personnel participation in projects like
> > > house building (and such). At least this is what I've noticed
> > > first-hand in my area.
> > >
> > > Sky

> > Last time we went, the chef came out and personally asked me some
> > questions before he prepared my meal. :-) I was trying to stay low
> > carb and while he understood that, he wanted to make sure I
> > understood what he planned to prepare.

> Wow. Was that the original restaraunt or something?lol

It's the one at the Outlet Mall between San Marcos and New Braunfels.

I think it's because I asked if the Rack of Lamb was available as it was
not on the menu. :-)

He also told me in detail why it was not on the menu. The supply problem
stemmed from a change in suppliers. They used to get it from New Zealand
but a problem developed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Abe > wrote:

> Nutrition Facts: Outbacks Bloomin Onion
> Serving Size: 1 serving, or 1/2 onion
>
> Calories 2210
> Total Fat 134 g
> Total Carbs 241 g
> Protein 35 g

<lol> We generally split one 4 ways!

At least!

What is the fiber count?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-09, ravenlynne > wrote:

> I don't know. I think they're food is just OK.....

The first time, suprisingly good. Second time, terrible. Not a good
enough average. They're out.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
>
> > Skyhooks wrote:

> > usual.

> > an >>> inch thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was

> > stuff >>> you get when you buy a ribeye at the grocery. (But a good
> > little >>> border of grill-crispy fat on the edges.) Also, I noticed
> > no garlic >>> salt flavor but what may have been a fresh garlic rub.
> > The baked >>> potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
> > broccoli was >>> steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half
> > raw. The hot >>> ceramic plates they served the food on kept it
> > hot--it was a >>> pleasant surprise to find the potato still hot ten
> > minutes into the >>> meal. The hot wheat bread with whipped butter
> > was nice, and the >>> requisite "blooming onion" appetizer was greasy
> > and deep-fried >>> delicious as always. Service was great, too.

> > the >>> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great
> > value. I >>> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

> > > Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked
> > > their food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I
> > > got my money's worth and would go more often if I could.
> > >

> > (snip)
> >
> > > Sky

> > I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the
> > location closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half
> > the cost. How about some original signature dishes? That's what I
> > look for in a restaurant; something original and different. Maybe
> > I'm just weird?
> >
> > kili

> And I'm somehow doubting that "shrimp in cream sauce" is an australian
> specialty..lol. They're pork chops are good, I've heard.
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy
>
> "evil government scientist Dirk Benedict."
> - Anim8rFSK

The Fosters is made in Canada too. Rumor has it that Fosters is
considered to be the Aussi equivalent of the US Milwaukee's Best i.e.
crap that even a homeless alcoholic wouldn't drink voluntarily...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
> closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
> about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
> restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?

Nope. And this is largely why I don't eat out much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote
> That IS a surprise! I feel the same way about Outback that you (once)
> did. I suppose every dog has his day.
>
> Glad you enjoyed your meal though. A nice steak & potato is always a
> great thing.

It really is! I only have steak a few times a year, just because it is so
expensive
compared to other things I can prepare that are also very good but go
farther.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Abe > said:

> Nutrition Facts: Outbacks Bloomin Onion
> Serving Size: 1 serving, or 1/2 onion
>
> Calories 2210
> Total Fat 134 g
> Total Carbs 241 g
> Protein 35 g

Wow, who could eat an entire half of one of those things? Too much
for me...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> I love the Rack of Lamb.
> --

I wanted the lamb, but I am still a lambaphobe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote
>
> My daughter is a server at the Flagstaff, AZ location. She said that
> they have to try to accommodate any special requests a customer makes.
> Someone in a group she served wanted a cheese omelet so the cooks made
> one.

The server was a dream. Unobtrusive but there when we wanted him. None
of this "who got the ribeye" stuff. Very pleasant and friendly but with the
appropriate professional distance. (Gorgeous in his deep red shirt, too,
but that's another story ....)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
>> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the
>> standard $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I
>> brought home half of everything to eat tonight.

> I don't know. I think they're food is just OK with prices that seem
> high. Also the last few times I went the service was miserable, with
> the last standing out. I ordered the outback special medium rare and
> it was well done, my grandfather ordered the prime rib well and it was
> rare. (we switched, though neither of us was happy because god only
> knows how long we'd have to wait for new meals.) This took an hour and
> a half to get to us. And they neglected to put in my daughter's dinner
> order, which meant a longer wait so that she could eat. When I
> complained they said, "sorry but we're busy". I HATE that excuse more
> than any other. Your level of "busy" should not effect my food quality
> or service. And every food server worth his salt knows that kids
> should be served ASAP.

So much depends on where you are, the manager of the store, the
cooks who happen to be on that night, the server, so many things. The
experience you describe is a lot like my first experience, which was
years ago and at another Outback.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red Lobster was Outback Steakhouse

"Omelet" > wrote
> Heh! I try to be reasonable on my requests, just making some alternate
> on-menu substitutes. :-)
>
> But that's cool to hear!

I so do not want to be the one of the pains in the ass that I waited on in
my
college days!

> I don't even bother with Red Lobster any more. Mom and I walked out once
> when they refused to make a simple substitution.

Speaking of which .... the night before Outback, we ate at RL. I hate to
admit
it but the commercials got me. The seafood entrees were $21 to $24, and
enormous,
but those tiny "lobster tails" were horrible, and drenched in salt and
something else
vile, and too much butter. They had none of the sweetness and chewiness I
love
about lobster tail. I am going to get a pair this week and broil them in
butter at
home.

The scallops on a skewer were very good, tender but a little chewy as I like
them,
not all flabby and blubbery like some sea scallops, and they had the bit of
grit that
tells you they were real. Shrimp on a skewer was good, too. But as you say,
all overpriced and the atmosphere sucks. And those cheesy biscuits?
Eccckkkk.

On the good side .... they served a
fantastic Grand Gold Margarita, with the Grand Marnier hung from a little
shot
glass on the side so you could a) control how much you put in and b) see
that you
got a full shot. Their bartender was gooooooood.

Early last week we had gone to the best seafood restaurant in Raleigh,
called
42nd Street Oyster Bar, and that was perfect. They really know what they
are doing there, and their bartender is fabulous. There is a huge, breezy,
"warehousey" feel in the place, with a big bar on the right as you go in and
live music of the acoustic variety, usually pretty good, in there. Because
there
is always a wait so they want to keep you occupied. This restaurant serves
the entrees the minute they are put on the plate, so it is not unusual for
everyone to receive theirs a few minutes apart. Anyone who has worked
in restaurants knows that usually several dishes sit congealing while
waiting
for others, so this is a good practice, especially for seafood. AND--
hushpuppies and whipped butter on the table and a NICE wine list are
other nice touches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote
> <lol> We generally split one 4 ways!

That is what we did, and still left about a third of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:09:46 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
>> Oh for pity...
>>
>> Let me know when your Birthday is!

> Didn't we just talk about on the phone? Remember...? You said
> you were going to be busy shootin up innocent little targets or
> something.
>
> I agree with Kili though - nothing I can't do better at home.
>
> ObFood: I'm thinking Vietnamese for tonight. I always eat out on
> Mondays - Asian of course. Never eat at anything but an Asian
> restaurnat on Mondays.

Details on dish, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.
>>
>> One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
>> thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
>> makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
>> ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
>> edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
>> garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
>> broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
>> hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
>> surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
>> wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
>> appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
>> too.
>>
>> This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
>> Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
>> $15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
>> of everything to eat tonight.

> Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.

Same here, Omelet.

> I love the Rack of Lamb.

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
> chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
> franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
> donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
> (and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.

Where they could really cash in on their brand name would be going
to places without any plumbing and building brand new toilets

...(wait for it)...

out back.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

> Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up and deep

That one?