Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outback Steakhouse

John Kane wrote:

> > I always want to eat it, but never can get past that funky aftertaste.
> > Honestly, I think it's just me. I made some new zealand lamb loin
> > kebab last week and Scott and my daughter thought they were fantastic,
> > I just ate the couscous I made on the side (sauteed onion and mushroom
> > mixed in).

> Try local lamb instead. I have noticed that there is a distinct
> difference in taste between Canadian and NZ lamb and you may find the
> same thing in Italy. I definately prefer the Canadian and my brother-
> in-law "hated" lamb until we introduced him to locally grown lamb.

It may be the age at which they still consider it to be lamb. Lamb is
usually quite mild tasting but gets funkier with age, I have heard that the
older stuff.... mutton... is much stronger tasting. I often by Ontario
lamb, but it is a lot more expensive than NZ lamb, and I have no problem
with NZ lamb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> > Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> >
> >>The only thing to get at Chili's is directions to Outback.

> > Actually, their black bean burger is uniquely good. I've
> > had just about every type of veggie burger out there and
> > it's probably in the top two or three.
> >

> Chili's is top-notch Tex-mex/burger joint food. And they have
> always had vegetarian dishes. Twenty-five years ago they had
> veggie tacos in Houston. This is when they were still a private
> company and had no stores outside of Texas.

Oh, the best hamburger I remember EVER having was at Chili's on
Westheimer Blvd (11,000+ block or somewhere about that) in Houston. I
still remember that dinner, and alas I've never had another burger at
Chili's that's been nearly as good at that first one. I always enjoy
eating at Chili's too (add that to my top five <g>).

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:11:00 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"ravenlynne" > wrote
>>
>> I always want to eat it, but never can get past that funky aftertaste.
>> Honestly, I think it's just me.

>No, I don't think so. That is what I did not like when I had it, and I
>thought it was just cooked wrong. I did have it in a Greek version of
>beef stew (it has a Greek name that escapes me) and it was very good.

Stifado?

I have always wanted to make this stew....I read about it first in a
book by John Thorne, and it sounded enticing.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 2:34 am, "ravenlynne" > wrote:
> While far from perfect, Chilis is head and shoulders above Applebees,
> IMO. THere are edible things at Chili's. Can't say the same for
> applebees.
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy

Gina in Italy, did you write this? Or is it someone else?

Do you eat at Chilis or Applebees in ITALY? Please tell me this isn't
so. ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> alforgnel > wrote:
> >I've never been there but everytime I drove by the parking lot was
> >filled to overflowing, so now I guess I'll have to.

> Sunday or Monday evening are usually the lightest nights
> at restaurants. Best time to avoid a crowd.
>
> --Blair

Isn't this often the time when it's best not to eat out? I vaguely
recall a famous celebrity chef mentioned that the quality of food tends
to suffer on those days of the week due to no deliveries those days (?).

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 10:21 pm, Skyhooks > wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
> > alforgnel > wrote:
> > >I've never been there but everytime I drove by the parking lot was
> > >filled to overflowing, so now I guess I'll have to.

> > Sunday or Monday evening are usually the lightest nights
> > at restaurants. Best time to avoid a crowd.

> > --Blair

> Isn't this often the time when it's best not to eat out? I vaguely
> recall a famous celebrity chef mentioned that the quality of food tends
> to suffer on those days of the week due to no deliveries those days (?).
>
> Sky

That was Anthony Bourdain in "Kitchen Confidential".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> The only thing to get at Chili's is directions to Outback.
>>
>> There's bound to be one nearby. And worth the drive
>> and the wait.

>There's much better places to get a steak, I'm sure. But YMMV.

Not for twelve bucks. Great beef in the Outbacks. At least
around here the last nine times I've gone.

If you want prime meat, though, go across the street
to Fleming's. I've had positively orgasmic steaks in
Fleming's.

Outback owns Fleming's, by the way. Bought the lot from
Paul Fleming when he wanted to run off and do something
else.

Outback was so successful that they became a restaurant
empire. They also own Roy's and Carabba's and Bonefish
and Cheeseburger in Paradise and Blue Coral.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>I'm glad you have a good place. Even chain places will vary with the
>manager.

Thing about that is, the manager isn't your last point
of quality assurance.

Figure out how to contact corporate and tell them your
local is managed by a schmuck.

No shame in that. It's your money and your mouth.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks > wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>
>> alforgnel > wrote:
>> >I've never been there but everytime I drove by the parking lot was
>> >filled to overflowing, so now I guess I'll have to.

>> Sunday or Monday evening are usually the lightest nights
>> at restaurants. Best time to avoid a crowd.

>Isn't this often the time when it's best not to eat out? I vaguely
>recall a famous celebrity chef mentioned that the quality of food tends
>to suffer on those days of the week due to no deliveries those days (?).

Maybe long ago. Maybe at a mom-n-pop or a maison.

Not these days. Not at a chain.

The business is too big for that. There isn't enough room
in a chain restaurant for two days' worth of product.

And really, it's not at a level where you'd notice it
was yesterday's if they did.

But you won't notice on red meat regardless. Good beef
is aged for weeks.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
>> >
>> > I have had some good meals at Outbacks in my area. Even so, when I
>> > travel, I prefer to avoid eating at the same restaurant chains I can
>> > eat
>> > at when I am not traveling.

>> This is a good policy!

> My policy when I travel for business or pleasure by air (which is
> several times a year) is quite simple. I want to do things I can't do at
> home. That includes dining out. Why would I want to spend a lot of time
> and money traveling, only to do things and eat things that I can do at
> home. This is why the only time I ever see a movie when I travel is if
> the weather is really bad and I can't think of anything else to do and
> its why I rarely ever break my rule of dining at a restaurant chain that
> operates restaurants in the vicinity of my home. Variety is the spice of
> life.

One trip, he got absolutely hedonistic and used Hunt's instead of Heinz!
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <ngZki.4743$CJ4.1195@trndny08>,
"Paco's Tacos" > wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "cybercat" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> >> This is a good policy!

> > My policy when I travel for business or pleasure by air (which is
> > several times a year) is quite simple. I want to do things I can't do at
> > home. That includes dining out. Why would I want to spend a lot of time
> > and money traveling, only to do things and eat things that I can do at
> > home. This is why the only time I ever see a movie when I travel is if
> > the weather is really bad and I can't think of anything else to do and
> > its why I rarely ever break my rule of dining at a restaurant chain that
> > operates restaurants in the vicinity of my home. Variety is the spice of
> > life.

> One trip, he got absolutely hedonistic and used Hunt's instead of Heinz!
> ;-)

Never!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> >I'm glad you have a good place. Even chain places will vary with the
> >manager.

> Thing about that is, the manager isn't your last point
> of quality assurance.
>
> Figure out how to contact corporate and tell them your
> local is managed by a schmuck.
>
> No shame in that. It's your money and your mouth.
>
> --Blair

No argument there... but, I've never had to climb that ladder. :-)
Most Chef's have a great deal of pride and the ones at Outback seem to
take a bad meal personally. <G>

So far anyhoo.

Red Lobster is an entirely different story.

I will most likely never eat there again.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> You friggin' ignoranus! A slice of bread contains just 1 g of
> >> protein... you trying to say those onions are coated with the
> >> equivalent of *35* slices of bread.

> > Eggs Babe.
> >
> > Eggs.
> > --

> Yuh fink?

<giggles>

Most "batters" include them afaik?

If I recall correctly (without googling, this is from memory only), one
average (medium) egg contains 9 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat, and
less than 1 gram of carbs.

So, final values are going to depend on the egg to flour ratio used in
the final batter.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> <giggles>

You buddy Sheldon is a bonehead, you know.

It is so predictable it approaches being endearing, but never
quite gets there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> >
> > <giggles>
> >

> You buddy Sheldon is a bonehead, you know.
>
> It is so predictable it approaches being endearing, but never
> quite gets there.

He has his good days... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:11:39 +0200, ravenlynne >
wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Another example of wildly varying quality.

>> It doesn't matter about the food there, to me--because
>> the way they pack tiny table in so that you are eating in
>> a position where you elbow someone at the next table just
>> unnerves me. Yeck! If it must be a chain and there is no
>> drive through, at least give me a big roomy booth.
>>

>I've never gotten a hot or even warm meal there, which is interesting
>since I've never ordered a cold one.

maybe you should try that. sort of a reverse-psychology ploy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:39:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote
>>
>> they usually do a good job. they make sure how you want the steak
>> done 'that would be pink in the middle, slightly warmed' rather than
>> medium rare

>This is exactly what our waiter said when I ordered my steak medium
>rare!

i seem to recall them having pictures at one time, but maybe that was
someplace else.

but the description seems more useful than the terms 'rare, medium,
well.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:22:30 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:49:20 -0500, Skyhooks
>> > wrote:

>>>Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked their
>>>food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I got my
>>>money's worth and would go more often if I could.
>>>
>>>I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
>>>chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
>>>franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
>>>donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
>>>(and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.
>>>
>>>Sky

>> they usually do a good job. they make sure how you want the steak
>> done 'that would be pink in the middle, slightly warmed' rather than
>> medium rare, etc. more value for the money than ruth's or the other
>> high-end steak houses. nice people, too, at the two i've been to.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I did go there one time and ordered a steak medium. It came well done. I motioned for
>our server to come to the table, let her know the problem and sent it back. She came
>back a while later with the same steak, cooked some more. I asked her if they thought
>they could put it back on the grill and "uncook" it somehow? We had a good laugh, the
>manager came over and apologized profusely, and offered to cook my steak himself. I
>did finally get the correct steak, and the manager brought out dessert and comped the
>whole shebang.
>
>kimberly

as far as i know, they don't squawk if you send things back. don't
know what happened in the first instance.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote
>> >
>> > <giggles>
>> >

>> You buddy Sheldon is a bonehead, you know.
>>
>> It is so predictable it approaches being endearing, but never
>> quite gets there.

> He has his good days... ;-)
> --

My mama would have liked you. She saw the good in every
piece of slimy, stinking flotsam that hell belched her way.

*looks down toward hell*

(I am NOT talking about you, Daddy! Who loves you?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote

> >> You buddy Sheldon is a bonehead, you know.
> >>
> >> It is so predictable it approaches being endearing, but never
> >> quite gets there.

> > He has his good days... ;-)
> > --

> My mama would have liked you. She saw the good in every
> piece of slimy, stinking flotsam that hell belched her way.
>
> *looks down toward hell*
>
> (I am NOT talking about you, Daddy! Who loves you?)

<grins>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:00:46 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:39:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote
>>>
>>> they usually do a good job. they make sure how you want the steak
>>> done 'that would be pink in the middle, slightly warmed' rather than
>>> medium rare

>>This is exactly what our waiter said when I ordered my steak medium
>>rare!
>>

>i seem to recall them having pictures at one time, but maybe that was
>someplace else.
>
>but the description seems more useful than the terms 'rare, medium,
>well.'

try that with most waitrons.... they don't do descriptions, they do
well done, medium and rare. I'm very picky about how I like my
hamburger.... I prefer pink, but I'll settle for rare just so it won't
be cooked to death.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote...
> BOB wrote:
>> just finished a rib-eye steak that was (almost) grilled to perfection
>> on my Kamado #1

> I still want you to make us a pizza on your "K". If I watch it from start
> to finish, I know I'll be less intimidated to make one myself. (Of
> course,
> we only have an oven and the WSM.)
>
> kili

You can make and bake one. I've read too many of your posts to doubt it.
You do have the knowledge and technology. ;-)

I still have the pizza stone that I promised you for (I don't remember...was
it a birthday, anniversary, Christmas or what?). Remind me after Christmas
and I'll bring it to Burnt Island on New Year's Day.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote...
> BOB wrote:
>> "kilikini" wrote...
>>> Nice! I've never been to an Outback, so I can't say anything good
>>> or bad about it. I'll have to Google for a menu. Do they have
>>> anything besides steaks?
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> Would you and Bluto like to try OutBack? I won a gift certificate
>> last month, and every time I've tried to go, something happened and I
>> couldn't go.
>> E-mail me (you do still have the address?) with your snail-addy and
>> it's yours.
>>
>> BOB

> We'll give it a try if you don't want the certificate. We can always use
> it. Is it store specific or general?

General. Any Outback, Bonefish Grill, Carrabas, Flemings, Lee Roy Selman's
or Roy's. Hmmm...Maybe I shoulda read the back before I offered. ;-)

> In any case, I don't think I have
> your e-mail addy anymore. Here's mine and we can exchange addresses:
> kilikini at tampabay dot rr dot com. (I know you're smart enough to
> figure
> that one out.)

Maybe I'm not. I left one of your spaces in there and it bounced back.
You'll have mail soon. (I hope)

> Hey, are you planning on going up to Micanopy Jan 1st. for the last Big
> Jim
> bash?

Yes. See my other reply to you in this thread. I've already notified the
contest organizers that I won't be in Felda this year, but asked them to
please keep me on the list for the future.

> kili

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in news:TLDki.64199$qT.12452
@fe06.news.easynews.com:

> ravenlynne > wrote:

>>And I'm somehow doubting that "shrimp in cream sauce" is an australian
>>specialty..lol. They're pork chops are good, I've heard.

> I'm trying to think of what they could do to make it
> more authentically Australian.
>
> But I don't think Americans will go for mutton and
> kangaroo on the menu...

Ya, I've seen their menus and none of it struck me as particularly
Australian. It seems to be USAian food with not-even-really-Australian-
sounding names. We don't eat Monterey Jack cheese or ranch dressing in
Australia (and for that matter we don't put cheese and dressing on
absolutely everything), and we call shrimp prawns and fries chips. Of
course that's no reason not to go there if the food is good

Traditional Australian food is mostly starchy and stodgy - flour and tinned
things were all that kept well in the outback without refrigeration. Even
I (b.1974) grew up eating mutton+3veg, tuna mornay, golden syrup dumplings
and pavlova. Modern Australian food is fairly fresh and simple - kind of
an Asian-fusion-made-with-local-produce vibe. Chilli prawns on fresh
handmade pasta, or steak with wasabi mash and asian greens, style of fing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote...
>> BOB wrote:
>>> just finished a rib-eye steak that was (almost) grilled to
>>> perfection on my Kamado #1

>> I still want you to make us a pizza on your "K". If I watch it from
>> start to finish, I know I'll be less intimidated to make one myself.
>> (Of course,
>> we only have an oven and the WSM.)
>>
>> kili
>>

> You can make and bake one. I've read too many of your posts to doubt
> it. You do have the knowledge and technology. ;-)
>
> I still have the pizza stone that I promised you for (I don't
> remember...was it a birthday, anniversary, Christmas or what?).
> Remind me after Christmas and I'll bring it to Burnt Island on New
> Year's Day.
>
> BOB

Oh, I had forgotten all about that and we've been looking for a pizza stone,
too. Thanks, BOB.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:39:56 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote
>> >
>> > <giggles>
>> >

>> You buddy Sheldon is a bonehead, you know.
>>
>> It is so predictable it approaches being endearing, but never
>> quite gets there.

>He has his good days... ;-)

they must be the days i phone in sick.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:58:00 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:00:46 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:39:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"blake murphy" > wrote

>>>This is exactly what our waiter said when I ordered my steak medium
>>>rare!
>>>

>>i seem to recall them having pictures at one time, but maybe that was
>>someplace else.
>>
>>but the description seems more useful than the terms 'rare, medium,
>>well.'

>try that with most waitrons.... they don't do descriptions, they do
>well done, medium and rare. I'm very picky about how I like my
>hamburger.... I prefer pink, but I'll settle for rare just so it won't
>be cooked to death.

that's why the color thing is sensible. it's hard to guess what i
particular restaurant (or even cook) means by 'medium.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:09:44 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:01:32 -0400, kilikini wrote:
>
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> " BOB" > wrote

>>> This is cute. Why do you call him Bluto?

>> Allan's been cyber-morphing lately. There is a guy on alt.food.fast-food
>> that he just loves to pester. The guy keeps killfiling him, so he morphs.
>> Bluto was his last name, now he's Billy Bong Thornton.

>And Jerry still hasn't caught on that it's really TFM.
>
>I hope Jerry's OK. Haven't seen in a couple days. Maybe his diet
>caught up with him earlier than expected.
>
>-sw

i think he's still home sulking about the three cents worth of onions
at taco bell.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:42:48 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:58:00 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:00:46 GMT, blake murphy >
>>wrote:

>>>i seem to recall them having pictures at one time, but maybe that was
>>>someplace else.
>>>
>>>but the description seems more useful than the terms 'rare, medium,
>>>well.'

>>try that with most waitrons.... they don't do descriptions, they do
>>well done, medium and rare. I'm very picky about how I like my
>>hamburger.... I prefer pink, but I'll settle for rare just so it won't
>>be cooked to death.

>that's why the color thing is sensible. it's hard to guess what i
>particular restaurant (or even cook) means by 'medium.'

My point is that it's sensible, but they just don't seem to "get it".
Relay the color I want to the cook. Maybe s/he can figure it out.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote...
> Oh, I had forgotten all about that and we've been looking for a pizza
> stone,
> too. Thanks, BOB.
>
> kili

Well, if you can wait 'til after Christmas...

BOB
it'll fit perfectly in a WSM or an oven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote...
> We'll give it a try if you don't want the certificate.

You should have Snail-Mail this week.

> Hey, are you planning on going up to Micanopy Jan 1st. for the last Big
> Jim
> bash?

Wouldn't miss it for anything.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote...
>> We'll give it a try if you don't want the certificate.

> You should have Snail-Mail this week.
>
>> Hey, are you planning on going up to Micanopy Jan 1st. for the last
>> Big Jim
>> bash?

> Wouldn't miss it for anything.
>
> BOB

It will be great to see you. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>My point is that it's sensible, but they just don't seem to "get it".
>Relay the color I want to the cook. Maybe s/he can figure it out.

Steakhouses know what rare/medium/etc. mean. They teach
their staffs exactly what they are. Any restaurant that
gets it wrong and plays dumb is hoping you'll just eat it
anyway because otherwise it starts costing them money.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 04:37:21 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> > wrote:
>>My point is that it's sensible, but they just don't seem to "get it".
>>Relay the color I want to the cook. Maybe s/he can figure it out.

>Steakhouses know what rare/medium/etc. mean. They teach
>their staffs exactly what they are. Any restaurant that
>gets it wrong and plays dumb is hoping you'll just eat it
>anyway because otherwise it starts costing them money.

Right. That's why I've learned where *not* to order a steak. I had a
learning curve, just like everyone else.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.