FoodBanter.com

-   -   How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/128401-how-do-i-make.html)

Kris[_1_] 08-07-2007 09:22 PM

How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

Hi all,

It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?

Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
I'm going to try & improvise.

I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
which I don't think I do).

Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

Many thanks to any help,
Kris

Omelet 08-07-2007 09:34 PM

How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

In article . com>,
Kris > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
>
> Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> I'm going to try & improvise.
>
> I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> which I don't think I do).
>
> Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?
>
> Many thanks to any help,
> Kris

Spanish rice...

I'd add garlic, onion (fresh cooked would be preferable to powder but
it's not that big of a deal), a smidge of chili powder and some cumin.
Salt and pepper to taste.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Kris[_1_] 08-07-2007 11:04 PM

On Jul 8, 4:34 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> Kris > wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> > tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?

> > Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> > that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> > I'm going to try & improvise.

> > I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> > which I don't think I do).

> > Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

> > Many thanks to any help,
> > Kris

> Spanish rice...
>
> I'd add garlic, onion (fresh cooked would be preferable to powder but
> it's not that big of a deal), a smidge of chili powder and some cumin.
> Salt and pepper to taste.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

How much water to paste?

I mean, I can easily make a basic tomato pasta sauce, but am not quite
sure how to duplicate a can of tomato sauce! Seems likeit should be so
simple,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Kris

Pennyaline 08-07-2007 11:26 PM

Kris wrote:
> How much water to paste?
>
> I mean, I can easily make a basic tomato pasta sauce, but am not quite
> sure how to duplicate a can of tomato sauce! Seems likeit should be so
> simple,
>
> Thank you for your suggestions!

If there is a set ratio of water:paste, I don't know what it is. Just
stir water into it bit by bit until you reach the consistency you want.

sf[_3_] 09-07-2007 01:57 AM

How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:22:40 -0700, Kris >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
>tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
>
>Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
>that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
>I'm going to try & improvise.
>
>I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
>which I don't think I do).
>
>Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

The basic is 1:1. One can of tomato paste to one can of water... add
more water if you want it thinner. You can substitute wine for water
if your recipe would benefit. You have other ingredients in your
recipe, so use those for flavoring the dish - don't fuss about
flavoring the tomato paste.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Sheldon 09-07-2007 02:34 AM

On Jul 8, 4:22?pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
>
> Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> I'm going to try & improvise.
>
> I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> which I don't think I do).
>
> Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

Since tomato pastes vary the easist solution is to add flavoring
ingredients and ample water that achieves a consistancy that you
prefer, cook for a short time and then add more liquid or cook to
reduce... the proper result is based soley on *your* personal opinion.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/standards/cntatop.pdf

Sheldon

Bobo Bonobo® 09-07-2007 03:06 AM

On Jul 8, 5:04 pm, Kris > wrote:
> On Jul 8, 4:34 pm, Omelet > wrote:
>

> > In article . com>,

> > Kris > wrote:
> > > Hi all,

> > > It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> > > tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?

> > > Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> > > that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> > > I'm going to try & improvise.

> > > I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> > > which I don't think I do).

> > > Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

> > > Many thanks to any help,
> > > Kris

> > Spanish rice...

> > I'd add garlic, onion (fresh cooked would be preferable to powder but
> > it's not that big of a deal), a smidge of chili powder and some cumin.
> > Salt and pepper to taste.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> > Remove _ to validate e-mails.

> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

> How much water to paste?
>
> I mean, I can easily make a basic tomato pasta sauce, but am not quite
> sure how to duplicate a can of tomato sauce! Seems likeit should be so
> simple,

You want " to duplicate a can of tomato sauce." Why? That's bizarre,
almost like trying to make spaghetti and meatballs that are just like
Chef Boyardee..

> Thank you for your suggestions!
>
> Kris

--Bryan

Kris[_1_] 09-07-2007 04:48 AM

On Jul 8, 10:06 pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jul 8, 5:04 pm, Kris > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 8, 4:34 pm, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Spanish rice...

> > > I'd add garlic, onion (fresh cooked would be preferable to powder but
> > > it's not that big of a deal), a smidge of chili powder and some cumin.
> > > Salt and pepper to taste.
> > > --
> > > Peace, Om

> > > Remove _ to validate e-mails.

> > > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

> > How much water to paste?

> > I mean, I can easily make a basic tomato pasta sauce, but am not quite
> > sure how to duplicate a can of tomato sauce! Seems likeit should be so
> > simple,

> You want " to duplicate a can of tomato sauce." Why? That's bizarre,
> almost like trying to make spaghetti and meatballs that are just like
> Chef Boyardee..
>

> > Thank you for your suggestions!

> > Kris

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Not quite. I want it because it's an INGREDIENT for a recipe. A recipe
I enjoy "as is" so I wanted to find a way to have the ingredient.
Tomato sauce is a staple which is often used, by the way. Not so
freaky, unlike trying to duplicate Chef Boyardee as you suggest.

Why bother replying to the post if you find my request so repellent? I
received helpful advice from other cooks.

Kris

jmcquown 09-07-2007 05:31 AM

Kris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
>
> Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> I'm going to try & improvise.
>
> I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> which I don't think I do).
>
> Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?
>
> Many thanks to any help,
> Kris

You really can't. You can dilute tomato paste and add garlic, herbs and
spices but it won't turn into tomato sauce. Tomato paste is very bland and
there's not much you can do about it.

I've always kept cans of tomato sauce on hand, as well as cans of diced
tomatoes and even whole canned tomatoes, in the event I need to make
something quick. I know this doesn't help you, just saying, next time stock
up.

Jill

Omelet 09-07-2007 10:06 AM

Kris > wrote:

> How much water to paste?

Depends on what you like personally.
Just add a little at a time and whisk it until you get the
texture/thickness you want. I personally like it rather thick, but
thinner would work better for a rice dish.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 09-07-2007 10:09 AM

Kris > wrote:

> Not quite. I want it because it's an INGREDIENT for a recipe. A recipe
> I enjoy "as is" so I wanted to find a way to have the ingredient.
> Tomato sauce is a staple which is often used, by the way. Not so
> freaky, unlike trying to duplicate Chef Boyardee as you suggest.
>
> Why bother replying to the post if you find my request so repellent? I
> received helpful advice from other cooks.
>
> Kris

And one of the nice things about tomato paste is it's a concentrate so
takes up little pantry space. I really need to stock more of it. :-)

It's fun to learn to work with it.

Diced canned tomato is also handy to have on hand.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 09-07-2007 10:12 AM

How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Kris wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> > tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
> >
> > Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> > that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> > I'm going to try & improvise.
> >
> > I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> > which I don't think I do).
> >
> > Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?
> >
> > Many thanks to any help,
> > Kris

> You really can't. You can dilute tomato paste and add garlic, herbs and
> spices but it won't turn into tomato sauce. Tomato paste is very bland and
> there's not much you can do about it.
>
> I've always kept cans of tomato sauce on hand, as well as cans of diced
> tomatoes and even whole canned tomatoes, in the event I need to make
> something quick. I know this doesn't help you, just saying, next time stock
> up.
>
> Jill

I respectfully disagree Jill. :-)
Tomato paste can be a good base ingredient for a sauce if you are
willing to play with it. Slightly chunky veggies can go a long way
towards turning it into a sauce. Sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, (even
from fresh if you blanch and peel), slice rather than diced or minced
onions, fresh herbs or dried herbs, etc.

I liked someone's idea of using wine instead of water to thin it. Stock
would work too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Kris[_1_] 09-07-2007 05:05 PM

How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

I agree Om,

I always have tomato paste & diced tomatoes on hand (should do the
same with sauce, eh?) for cooking.

I remember reading somewhere about canned tomatoes. The article said
that they really are the next best thing to fresh, or even better at
times, especially in the months when tomatoes are pretty gross.

Kris

Omelet 09-07-2007 05:23 PM

Kris > wrote:

> I agree Om,
>
> I always have tomato paste & diced tomatoes on hand (should do the
> same with sauce, eh?) for cooking.
>
> I remember reading somewhere about canned tomatoes. The article said
> that they really are the next best thing to fresh, or even better at
> times, especially in the months when tomatoes are pretty gross.
>
> Kris

I've used canned tomatoes on Tacos when they hit $3.00 per lb. here. ;-)

It worked fine:

http://tinypic.com/4cketd4.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/626kqcm.jpg
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Blair P. Houghton 10-07-2007 03:59 AM

Kris > wrote:
>I always have tomato paste & diced tomatoes on hand (should do the
>same with sauce, eh?) for cooking.

If you have those, you already have sauce.

A can of diced tomatoes and 1/3-1/2 can of paste.

Add oregano, marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, fennel,
and a little sautee'd onion (done in olive oil).

And garlic. Two cloves. Sliced thin.

If you want, add seared meat. You can also sear the
tomato paste a little just before you add the tomatoes.

Reduce a bit and add a few tbs of cooked-pasta water
to add starch for thickening.

>I remember reading somewhere about canned tomatoes. The article said
>that they really are the next best thing to fresh, or even better at
>times, especially in the months when tomatoes are pretty gross.

Yup. Tomatoes can beautifully.

--Blair