Old 07-07-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super Food.... Is there any thing super?

'The use of general terms on food, such as 'healthy for you' or
'superfood', implies a health benefit. However, these terms do not
communicate why the food is healthy or a super food. So, the
regulation requires they are backed up by a relevant and authorized
health claim. This way the consumer knows why this food is healthy.'
This is a lift up of the portion from an article that I found at

http://www.theanalystmagazine.com/july2007/103.htm

Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:05:31 -0700, wrote:

'The use of general terms on food, such as 'healthy for you' or
'superfood', implies a health benefit. However, these terms do not
communicate why the food is healthy or a super food. So, the
regulation requires they are backed up by a relevant and authorized
health claim. This way the consumer knows why this food is healthy.'
This is a lift up of the portion from an article that I found at

http://www.theanalystmagazine.com/july2007/103.htm

Superfood? Leave it to the EU to come up with a term no one can
figure out. I would have thought it was genetically altered at the
very least.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

Superfood? Leave it to the EU to come up with a term
no one can figure out. I would have thought it was
genetically altered at the very least.

I think it arose as a marketing term in the U.S.
for various dietary supplements, such as dried
_Spirulina_ algae. Blech!

Since it can mean anything, I'd call red wine
and dark chocolate (70% or more) superfoods.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:17:03 -0700, Mark Thorson
wrote:

sf wrote:

Superfood? Leave it to the EU to come up with a term
no one can figure out. I would have thought it was
genetically altered at the very least.

I think it arose as a marketing term in the U.S.
for various dietary supplements, such as dried
_Spirulina_ algae. Blech!

Since it can mean anything, I'd call red wine
and dark chocolate (70% or more) superfoods.

the only way you can tell if a food is a genuine superfood is to
expose it to kryptonite. (if you're an experimental-type cook, try
red kryptonite.)

your pal,
lois
Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

sf wrote:

Superfood? Leave it to the EU to come up with a term
no one can figure out. I would have thought it was
genetically altered at the very least.

I think it arose as a marketing term in the U.S.
for various dietary supplements, such as dried
_Spirulina_ algae. Blech!

Since it can mean anything, I'd call red wine
and dark chocolate (70% or more) superfoods.

the only way you can tell if a food is a genuine superfood is to
expose it to kryptonite. (if you're an experimental-type cook, try
red kryptonite.)

Snrk! I think blackberries are considered a super food, I just don't
remember why...

--
Jani in WA