Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bradley smokers?

Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html
--

modom

Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote in message
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html
--

modom

Ask on alt.food.barbecue There has been some good and bad about them. You
have to buy their smoking discs instead of regular wood chips. Some liked
them but a couple in hot regions (ambient 115 degrees) did not like the
taste from them, probably because it did not burn hot enough to burn off the
creosote.

I just got one of these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
Good deal for the price. Did briskets and a pork picnic today. Only used it
three times so far, but results are very good.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html

As someone who has used virtually every bbq pit out there, including
commercial pits, I honestly don't like the Bradely. A number of folks who
have used them have ended up selling them.

You are stuck with their proprietary 'biscuits' as fuel. The biscuits are
expensive, and have been the source of numerous problems. They must be
carefully stored. If they swell due to humidity, or if the have sawdust or
chips stuck to them, etc. they can get stuck in the feeder. They are sold
as a 'set and forget' machine, but they only hold eight hours worth of
biscuits; not sufficient for the typical sized pork butt or briskets.

I also find that they tend not to be as consistent as one would think it
would be about the bbq it produces. If not monitored closely, sometimes the
smoke flavoring is non-existent, at other times it can be overpowering. It
needs to be watched in order to get it to perform its best, which takes away
from one of the major selling points.

As with any device, there are fanatic Bradely proponents. They are
enthusiastic about the machine.

But for me, the Bradely is too gimicky for my taste. It is too expensive to
run compared to a WSM, and it really isn't much more convenient. It is too
prone to potential problems and inconsistent cooking to make me feel
comfortable about leaving it alone during cooking.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:36:27 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
[email protected] wrote:

Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html
--

modom

I had wondered about those as well..

On eGullet, there is a long running thread about cooking from the
Charcuterie book, and Michael Ruhlman is a contributer to that thread
on occasion. Several folks on that thread have gotten Bradley
smokers... Maybe you could ask there?

I know they can do cold smoking as well...

Christine
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote in message
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html
--

modom

I have a similar style thought not a Bradley that has worked great now for
two years. Mine is like this on
http://www.amazon.com/SMOKE-HOLLOW-S...641584&sr=1-44
that I purchased locally on sale for $90.

Joe

Old 05-07-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
[email protected] says...
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html
--

modom

If you're interested in an electric smoker that you can pretty much set
and forget, check out the Cookshack products. They're more durable and
efficient than the Bradleys, and they don't require the proprietary
pucks to produce smoke.

Bob
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a Bradley smoker, its great.
The pucks can be expensive if bought at a local camping/hunting
store but large discounts can be had by online stores.

The big advantage with the Bradley is that it uses very little
heat to produce the smoke so cold smoking of cheese etc is
possible.

Smoked old cheddar is magnificent.

The Bradley forums are also a source of good recipes.

If you like cold smoked products as well as hot smoked then
Bradley is the way to go. Lox salmon is great with this smoker.

If you can get the non digital smoker which is the slightly
older model you have more options to customising the smoking
process.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

what creosote?
There is no creosote in a Bradley puck, they use an edible binding
gelatine to form the pucks.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil Evans wrote:
what creosote?
There is no creosote in a Bradley puck, they use an edible binding
gelatine to form the pucks.

Who, or what are you referring to? It helps to include the part of the text
that you are responding to.

Creosote is not an ingredient, it is a byproduct of incomplete wood or wood
product combustion. From my experience Bradely smokers can, and have,
produced creosote.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob wrote:

If you're interested in an electric smoker that you can pretty much
set and forget, check out the Cookshack products. They're more
durable and efficient than the Bradleys, and they don't require the
proprietary pucks to produce smoke.

I agree with Bob on this. You can use your own wood or lump charcoal. And a
little goes a long way.
http://www.cookshack.com/

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:20:43 -0400, "Joe Cilinceon"
wrote:

"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote in message
.. .
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html

I have a similar style thought not a Bradley that has worked great now for
two years. Mine is like this on
http://www.amazon.com/SMOKE-HOLLOW-S...641584&sr=1-44
that I purchased locally on sale for $90.

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Joe. Is it possible to cold smoke in this unit? I
want to cold smoke a few things when the weather cools down.
--

modom

Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 02:59:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Ask on alt.food.barbecue There has been some good and bad about them. You
have to buy their smoking discs instead of regular wood chips. Some liked
them but a couple in hot regions (ambient 115 degrees) did not like the
taste from them, probably because it did not burn hot enough to burn off the
creosote.

I just got one of these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
Good deal for the price. Did briskets and a pork picnic today. Only used it
three times so far, but results are very good.

Thanks, Ed. Can you cold smoke in this unit? Or do you have to get
an electric smoker for that?
--

modom

Old 05-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:13:54 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
[...]

I appreciate your advice, Dave. It's obvious you know a lot about the
subject. Thanks.
--

modom

Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote in message
. ..
Anybody have experience and opinions about these?
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-pa...=products.html

I have a similar style thought not a Bradley that has worked great now for
two years. Mine is like this on
http://www.amazon.com/SMOKE-HOLLOW-S...641584&sr=1-44
that I purchased locally on sale for $90.

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Joe. Is it possible to cold smoke in this unit? I
want to cold smoke a few things when the weather cools down.
--

modom

No, I don't think it will do cold smoking at least what I think cold smoking
is. I could be wrong in what I think cold smoking is, but assume you need to
burn the wood making the smoke and stop the heat so it doesn't cook the food
at all. This particular smoker works best between about 190 to 300 degrees.
I tend to like to do most things at about 210 to 230 which is easy to set
and hold steady. It will burn any wood out there that are in chip form even
if you bust it up. It will also work with charcoal and even the pellet type
wood chips. You can't use the gas however while using charcoal but with wood
chips gas is the way to go with this smoker.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

I appreciate your advice, Dave. It's obvious you know a lot about the
subject. Thanks.

You're welcome. Let me know if there are any questions I can help with.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

bradley digital Pensrock Barbecue 13 19-09-2007 04:47 AM
First smoke with Bradley Nonnymus Barbecue 15 13-01-2007 03:15 PM
Bradley Nonnymus Barbecue 1 13-01-2007 03:06 PM
Bradley Smoker Not Telling Barbecue 4 08-11-2004 11:55 PM
Bradley Smokers Jack & Melanie Barbecue 6 14-04-2004 03:58 PM