Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is there something special about Chinese takeout fried rice?

I can't seem to get "that taste."
Don't even know how to describe it.

My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.

And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
migraine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.
>
> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

All else being equal (amounts of the different ingredients, etc)
you might consider two things:
1. the use of inexpensive therefore flavorful peanut oil, and
2. making the fried rice up in advance, so the flavors blend.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 3:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

There's is nothing you can do at home to get "that taste". You don't
have the same equipment they do in your kitchen to replicate exactly
what they're serving you.

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.
>
> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

It's a must to use rice cooked without added salt or fat, cooked the day
before and then refrigerated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 3, 1:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it. [snip]

In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
that will help.

A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
The freshest produce possible.
Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
swirling it around the sides.
If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
dried or drained before going in to the wok.
Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.

Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
one large soggy steamed batch. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:

> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.
>
> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

Have you ever found two restaurants whose fried rice tasted
the same?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 4:33 pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 3, 1:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to get "that taste."
> > Don't even know how to describe it. [snip]

> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
> times that characterize the best stir fries

Wok hay. "The breath of the wok." Us mortals with normal stoves just
can't get it up high enough, as it were, to get that magic something
that a good asian resturant with a huge, searing hot stove can
acheive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.
>
> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

Its called "wok hey" and it is because of a good wok heated by high
output burners. Thats why you can certainly use a wok at home on a
standard stove but never get a really good result.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy Jose Lorr wrote:
> Mitch wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>> Don't even know how to describe it.
>>
>> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>>
>> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
>> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
>> migraine.

> Have you ever found two restaurants whose fried rice tasted the same?

Thats mainly because there is no standard dish called fried rice.
Classically fried rice is a way to use leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Mitch wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>> Don't even know how to describe it.
>>
>> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>>
>> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
>> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
>> migraine.

> Its called "wok hey" and it is because of a good wok heated by high
> output burners. Thats why you can certainly use a wok at home on a
> standard stove but never get a really good result.

I use a flat bottom spun steel wok on an electric stove.
The stir fries I make turn out as good or better than most
of the Chinese restaurants where I've eaten. So also say
the guests I've fed on these oriental concoctions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:59:35 -0400, George wrote:
>
>> Mitch wrote:
>>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>>> Don't even know how to describe it.
>>>
>>> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.

When I was experimenting with Chinese cooking,
I got the wok, ingredients, cookbooks, etc.
No matter what I did, results tasted like "hash".

At some point, I gave up.
There are some dishes best left
to the people who do it every day.

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:

> When I was experimenting with Chinese cooking,
> I got the wok, ingredients, cookbooks, etc.
> No matter what I did, results tasted like "hash".
>
> At some point, I gave up.
> There are some dishes best left
> to the people who do it every day.
>

> <rj>

If you like using a wok the only thing missing in a typical home is a
really high output burner and appropriate venting. You can get various
gas burners that you can use outside and get a much better result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 9:14 am, George > wrote:
> <RJ> wrote:

> > When I was experimenting with Chinese cooking,
> > I got the wok, ingredients, cookbooks, etc.
> > No matter what I did, results tasted like "hash".

> > At some point, I gave up.
> > There are some dishes best left
> > to the people who do it every day.

> > <rj>

> If you like using a wok the only thing missing in a typical home is a
> really high output burner and appropriate venting. You can get various
> gas burners that you can use outside and get a much better result.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe one of those propane things you
use to heat the oil for deep frying turkeys would generate enough heat
to get the right result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jul 3, 1:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>> Don't even know how to describe it. [snip]

> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
> times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
> that will help.
>
> A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
> The freshest produce possible.
> Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
> Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
> swirling it around the sides.
> If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
> dried or drained before going in to the wok.
> Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
> veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.
>
> Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
> one large soggy steamed batch. -aem

The other ingredients may need to be fresh, but the rice needs to be
stale rice.

The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
(tough to do at home)

It's probably picking up flavors from the last thing that was cooked in
the wok. They just rinse them between uses.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:5f1qrbF3ahfvdU1
@mid.individual.net:

> aem wrote:
>> On Jul 3, 1:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>>> Don't even know how to describe it. [snip]

>> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
>> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
>> times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
>> that will help.
>>
>> A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
>> The freshest produce possible.
>> Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
>> Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
>> swirling it around the sides.
>> If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
>> dried or drained before going in to the wok.
>> Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
>> veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.
>>
>> Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
>> one large soggy steamed batch. -aem
>>

> The other ingredients may need to be fresh, but the rice needs to be
> stale rice.
>
> The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
> (tough to do at home)
>
> It's probably picking up flavors from the last thing that was cooked in
> the wok. They just rinse them between uses.
>
> Bob

Don't forget to examine the rice....what kind does the restaurant use?
basmati, jasmine, plain old long grain, mid-sized grain, or short? This
will also affect the flavour as different rices taste different and
absorb flavours differently.

Also what the rice was cooked in, just water, salted water, a little
chicken broth, garlic, etc....rice like many things is best salted while
it cooks as apposed to salting afterwards. You'll get more bang (flavour)
for less buck (salt) if the rice water is lightly salted.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote in news:5f1qrbF3ahfvdU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> aem wrote:
>>> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
>>> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
>>> times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
>>> that will help.
>>>
>>> A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
>>> The freshest produce possible.
>>> Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
>>> Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
>>> swirling it around the sides.
>>> If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
>>> dried or drained before going in to the wok.
>>> Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
>>> veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.
>>>
>>> Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
>>> one large soggy steamed batch. -aem
>>>

>> The other ingredients may need to be fresh, but the rice needs to be
>> stale rice.
>>
>> The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
>> (tough to do at home)
>>
>> It's probably picking up flavors from the last thing that was cooked in
>> the wok. They just rinse them between uses.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Don't forget to examine the rice....what kind does the restaurant use?
> basmati, jasmine, plain old long grain, mid-sized grain, or short? This
> will also affect the flavour as different rices taste different and
> absorb flavours differently.
>
> Also what the rice was cooked in, just water, salted water, a little
> chicken broth, garlic, etc....rice like many things is best salted while
> it cooks as apposed to salting afterwards. You'll get more bang (flavour)
> for less buck (salt) if the rice water is lightly salted.

Chinese cuisine normally uses long-grain and, for special occasions,
jasmine rice. Short-grained glutinous rices go into different dishes
altogether, like those leaf-wrapped dumplings with pork or chicken and
split peas inside them.

The water for cooking rice is normally never salted. The exceptions are
when you're making congee or cooking in stock, and rice cooked in stock
is a special-occasion dish, not for later frying. Adding salt might
give more bang for your buck, but it will probably not get you closer to
what the Chinese chefs produce.

Chinese don't normally steam their rice either. They boil it hard, then
lower the flame and let it soak up the remaining water. Some people
start with extra water and pour the surplus off after a few minutes of
heavy boiling to get rid of loose starch. That might help if you want
looser grains for subsequent frying.

For mainstream dishes like fried left-over rice, think cheap and fresh.
Everyday Chinese cuisine, especially from the south (which is where
rice is eaten) is not about wealth or even adequacy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>> On Jul 3, 1:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>>> Don't even know how to describe it. [snip]

>> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
>> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
>> times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
>> that will help.
>>
>> A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
>> The freshest produce possible.
>> Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
>> Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
>> swirling it around the sides.
>> If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
>> dried or drained before going in to the wok.
>> Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
>> veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.
>>
>> Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
>> one large soggy steamed batch. -aem
>>

> The other ingredients may need to be fresh, but the rice needs to be stale
> rice.
>
> The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little (tough
> to do at home)
>
> It's probably picking up flavors from the last thing that was cooked in
> the wok. They just rinse them between uses.
>
> Bob

I been thinking about wokking (never knew it was a verb, did ya?) on the gas
grill outside. With both gas rings blazing, it gets hotter than my
residential stove. Might work better there....
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:03:32 -0000, levelwave >
wrote:

>On Jul 3, 3:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
>> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
>> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
>> migraine.

>There's is nothing you can do at home to get "that taste". You don't
>have the same equipment they do in your kitchen to replicate exactly
>what they're serving you.
>
>~john

i think this is the crux of the problem. fortunately, i like my fried
rice better than take-out.

your smug pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:20:33 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Mitch wrote:
>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>> Don't even know how to describe it.
>>
>> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>>
>> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
>> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
>> migraine.

>It's a must to use rice cooked without added salt or fat, cooked the day
>before and then refrigerated.
>
>Jill

everyone says you must use day-old rice, but i don't find that to be
true. i use long grain white rice cooked with the water in a 1:1
ratio.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Mitch wrote:
>> I can't seem to get "that taste."
>> Don't even know how to describe it.
>>
>> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>>
>> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
>> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
>> migraine.

>Its called "wok hey" and it is because of a good wok heated by high
>output burners. Thats why you can certainly use a wok at home on a
>standard stove but never get a really good result.

i wouldn't say 'never get a really good result.' you won't get the
same result.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:

>> If you like using a wok the only thing missing in a typical home is a
>> really high output burner and appropriate venting. You can get various
>> gas burners that you can use outside and get a much better result.

> I was thinking the same thing. Maybe one of those propane things you
> use to heat the oil for deep frying turkeys would generate enough heat
> to get the right result.

I have an older version similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Outdoo.../dp/B0000CAQ0R

My burner is ~100,000 BTU. Here is a good shot of what a high output
burner looks like in action and a good description of why it works:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77281
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 4:41?pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.

Try making flied lice. hehe

> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.

Where is "around here"? Even if they don't add MSG most all the
prepared ingredients they use contain MSG.

> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

That's BS... bery, bery few people are actually allergic to to MSG.
MSG occurs naturally in many every day foods, including breast milk.
Chinese restaurant syndrome is attributed to consuming too much
ordinary salt in too short a time... Chinese restaurant cookery uses
lots of salt. Your friend would get the same migraine from consuming
kosher deli food too.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:22:32 GMT, "The Joneses" >
wrote:

>"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> aem wrote:
>>>
>>> In almost all cases the missing factor is Heat. It's nearly
>>> impossible to achieve at home the blazing heat and ultra-short cooking
>>> times that characterize the best stir fries, but there are some things
>>> that will help.
>>>
>>> A well-seasoned wok or heavy pan.
>>> The freshest produce possible.
>>> Ingredients cut to small, uniform pieces.
>>> Heat wok to point it begins to smoke, then add cold oil by
>>> swirling it around the sides.
>>> If you've washed or marinated the ingredients, they should be
>>> dried or drained before going in to the wok.
>>> Do not overload the wok -- no more than 1 lb. meat, or 3 to 4 cups
>>> veggies (or rice) for a 14" wok.
>>>
>>> Better to make two batches that the wok can sear properly than to make
>>> one large soggy steamed batch. -aem
>>>

>> The other ingredients may need to be fresh, but the rice needs to be stale
>> rice.
>>
>> The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little (tough
>> to do at home)
>>
>> It's probably picking up flavors from the last thing that was cooked in
>> the wok. They just rinse them between uses.
>>
>> Bob

>I been thinking about wokking (never knew it was a verb, did ya?) on the gas
>grill outside. With both gas rings blazing, it gets hotter than my
>residential stove. Might work better there....
>Edrena

if you could arrange for the wok to rest securely on something (or you
have a flat-bottom wok), i would definitely give it a try.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:57:44 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
>(tough to do at home)

Soy gives you that brown look.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:57:44 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
>> (tough to do at home)

> Soy gives you that brown look.

Actually part of the reason why the restaurant version tastes better is
that the heat is so high that there is a little browning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:03:32 -0000, levelwave >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 3, 3:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> >
> >> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> >> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> >> migraine.

> >There's is nothing you can do at home to get "that taste". You don't
> >have the same equipment they do in your kitchen to replicate exactly
> >what they're serving you.
> >
> >~john

> i think this is the crux of the problem. fortunately, i like my fried
> rice better than take-out.
>
> your smug pal,
> blake

I agree with you, Blake -- homemade fried rice is better that what
I can get around here. I do cheat and use the Sun Luck seasoning
packet, but at least my fried rice doesn't have bits of old BBQ
pork in it...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:03:17 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:15:44 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:57:44 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The wok needs to be hot enough to actually brown the rice a little
>>>(tough to do at home)

>> Soy gives you that brown look.

>You can marinate a raw steak in soy sauce and make it look
>cooked, too.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. My fried rice *does* taste like
the real thing. Don't be heavy handed though. Just a few drops.

BTW: Soy seems to be one of the "secret" ingredients in carne asada
marinades around here too.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 3:41 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> I can't seem to get "that taste."
> Don't even know how to describe it.
>
> My fried rice is good, but it's just not like takeout, which I love.
>
> And it's not MSG. The places around here don't use it.
> And I'd know if they lied because my friend would have an instant
> migraine.

I'll post before reading the replies you've got. I don't think the
brown fried rice you can get in most Chinese restaurants is home-style
Chinese fried rice; it's American-Chinese. The brown color and the
taste -- which I used to naively assume derive from soy sauce -- come,
I today understand, from a kind of gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kyle > wrote:

>I'll post before reading the replies you've got. I don't think the
>brown fried rice you can get in most Chinese restaurants is home-style
>Chinese fried rice; it's American-Chinese. The brown color and the
>taste -- which I used to naively assume derive from soy sauce -- come,
>I today understand, from a kind of gravy.

I think if you use CHEAP soy sauce that is largely caramel
coloring you might get that effect.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 21:50:13 GMT, unge (Little
> Malice) wrote:
>
> >One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:

> >> i think this is the crux of the problem. fortunately, i like my fried
> >> rice better than take-out.
> >>
> >> your smug pal,
> >> blake

> >I agree with you, Blake -- homemade fried rice is better that what
> >I can get around here. I do cheat and use the Sun Luck seasoning
> >packet, but at least my fried rice doesn't have bits of old BBQ
> >pork in it...

> i wouldn't knock it for that reason, but it doesn't seem to have a lot
> of flavor. mine is about half rice and half meat and vegetables, with
> lots of ginger and black pepper. i don't think of it as a side dish.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Neither do we -- I make mine with lots of green onion, shrimp, and
scrambled egg bits. Hearty stuff, yours sounds very nice... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:04:27 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:14:44 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
>> Pope) wrote:

>> >I think if you use CHEAP soy sauce that is largely caramel
>> >coloring you might get that effect.
>> >

>> Geeze Steve. Get your nose out of the air, bro. All chinese soy is
>> cheap.

>Yes, but there's a pretty wide variation in taste that seems to run
>along with cost. The "high-priced spread" really is worth the extra
>money, IMO.
>
>Try "Kimlan" brand if you can get it, and their "Super Special" label if
>that's a choice.

i'm not steve, but he may be speaking of chun king or other soy sauces
which are not brewed and indeed have caramel and other crap in them.
(if you don't want to venture into an asian market, you can get
kikkoman in almost any grocery. it's japanese style, not chinese, but
the differences aren't that great if you're not a connoisseur. it
tastes good, and it's made in wisconsin, i think, for you sinophobes.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Have you ever found two restaurants whose fried rice tasted
>the same?

No, but I've never had one I didn't like. And they're all better than
mine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>There lies the single-most correct answer.

Thanks for all the great replies.

So, I have a great, seasoned wok.
My friend has a Viking stove...that sees heat maybe twice a week.

So assuming we had a seasoned wok and good heat...how about a recipe
to try to replicate this?