Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reheating ham

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> I thawed them out this week.

You didn't make a spiral cut ham... all you did is open the package,
heat, and eat... what you did is *serve* a spiral cut ham.

> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Maybe... depends on how hot and for how long... reheated the same way
you originally heated it will be fine... low temperature and just long
enough to heat through.

> Or should I just nuke it?

Nuking is more likly to over cook ham.

Me, I'd eat that leftover ham cold... just let it thaw in the fridge.
Depending on how much there is I may fix a nice ham sandwich or three,
and then use the remainder, bone, and trimmings to make a big pot of
pea or bean soup.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> I thawed them out this week.
>
> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Well, it's dry heat in that oven. It just stands to reason....but you could
experiment with just one slice.

> Or should I just nuke it?

Yes. Non-frozen meats warm up pretty quickly. Cover with waxed paper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:34:50 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

>I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
>I thawed them out this week.
>
>If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
>Or should I just nuke it?

If you're worried, warm it in a covered casserole with a little added
moisture.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> I thawed them out this week.
>
> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
> Or should I just nuke it?

Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
Put a water pan in the oven.
Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the oven
at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
It may take several hours.
It should be fine.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> I thawed them out this week.
>
> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
> Or should I just nuke it?

I always just nuke ham in a well covered dish.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>
> ... >I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> > I thawed them out this week.

> > If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
> > Or should I just nuke it?

> Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
> Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
> Put a water pan in the oven.
> Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the oven
> at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
> It may take several hours.
> It should be fine.
>
> Kent

You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> > "Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
> >
> > ... >I made a spiral cut

ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> > > I thawed them out this week.

> > > If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
> > > Or should I just nuke it?

> > Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the

slices.
> > Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
> > Put a water pan in the oven.
> > Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the

oven
> > at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
> > It may take several hours.
> > It should be fine.
> >
> > Kent

> You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Lol...this is almost as ridiculous as the "How long to cook instant ramen?"
thread...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>>
>> ... >I made a spiral cut
>> ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
>> > I thawed them out this week.

>> > If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
>> > Or should I just nuke it?

>> Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
>> Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
>> Put a water pan in the oven.
>> Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the
>> oven
>> at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
>> It may take several hours.
>> It should be fine.
>>
>> Kent

> You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is started too
much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries out. We don't buy
spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how cheap they are at
Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
warming up an already cooked product. If it's not spiraled, you can do it
several times without adverse effect. With spiral slicers that just doesn't
work.

You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a braising
pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and gently braise until
the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In fact it's probably better than
trying to bake it. We routinely do hams this way, as described by Julia.

Kent
Kent

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
> warming up an already cooked product.

We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
expensive.

> If it's not spiraled, you can do it
> several times without adverse effect. With spiral slicers that just doesn't
> work.

I can do without spiraled hams. They are convenient for some people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is
> started too much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries
> out. We don't buy spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how
> cheap they are at Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham
> all you're doing is warming up an already cooked product. If it's not
> spiraled, you can do it several times without adverse effect. With
> spiral slicers that just doesn't work.
>
> You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a
> braising pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and
> gently braise until the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In
> fact it's probably better than trying to bake it. We routinely do
> hams this way, as described by Julia.
>
> Kent Kent
>
> Kent

About every 2 weeks, I buy a spiral sliced ham at the supermarket. I
bring it home and I cut the ham off the bone. I put the ham in one of
those square, plastic Glad tupperware-type containers and I refrigerate
it. I freeze the bone and I use that to cook beans, or cabbage, etc.
Maybe I have been lucky, but the ham never seems to try out.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> I thawed them out this week.
>
> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Yes.

> Or should I just nuke it?

Definitely. Use the medium setting for a minute or two per portion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>

>> Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
>> warming up an already cooked product.

> We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
> Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
> less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
> eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
> the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
> expensive.

Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
U.S. are the
dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham]. They're
a lot more than $1.29/lb.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> > We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
> > Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
> > less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
> > eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
> > the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
> > expensive.
> >

> Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
> U.S. are the
> dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham]. They're
> a lot more than $1.29/lb.

They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
>> I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
>> I thawed them out this week.
>>
>> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
>> Or should I just nuke it?

> I always just nuke ham in a well covered dish.
> --

How do you nuke a whole, or remaining, leftover ham?
What kind of nuker do you use?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

>> > We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
>> > Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
>> > less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
>> > eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
>> > the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the
>> > most
>> > expensive.
>> >

>> Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
>> U.S. are the
>> dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham].
>> They're
>> a lot more than $1.29/lb.

> They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.

I don't know anywhere in California where you can buy a wet cured fresh ham.
Is the ham a brand name? How do they cure it? Does it have nitrates, to give
it the "ham" flavor and appearance we're all used to? To what temp. to you
cook it? Do you braise it, or roast it? If it's a locally cured product,
they have to inject the femoral artery shortly after the pig is slaughtered,
and/or spray inject the rest of the leg. I can't imagine a butcher shop, or
even a small wholesale house doing this. Please tell.

Kent,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> >
> >> I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
> >> I thawed them out this week.
> >>
> >> If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
> >> Or should I just nuke it?

> > I always just nuke ham in a well covered dish.
> > --

> How do you nuke a whole, or remaining, leftover ham?
> What kind of nuker do you use?

GE nuker from Wally world.

I nuke leftover ham in serve-able portions, not the whole ham.
I need to take pics next time I do it. :-) Slice the ham cold and warm
the portions.

It's lovely for sandwiches, or just served with eggses.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in
>>> the
>>> U.S. are the
>>> dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham].
>>> They're
>>> a lot more than $1.29/lb.

>> They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.
>>

> I don't know anywhere in California where you can buy a wet cured fresh
> ham. Is the ham a brand name? How do they cure it? Does it have nitrates,
> to give it the "ham" flavor and appearance we're all used to? To what
> temp. to you cook it? Do you braise it, or roast it? If it's a locally
> cured product, they have to inject the femoral artery shortly after the
> pig is slaughtered, and/or spray inject the rest of the leg. I can't
> imagine a butcher shop, or even a small wholesale house doing this. Please
> tell.
>
> Kent,

Any grocery store. Cook's. Read the label.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

>>> They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.
>>>

>> I don't know anywhere in California where you can buy a wet cured fresh
>> ham. Is the ham a brand name? How do they cure it? Does it have nitrates,
>> to give it the "ham" flavor and appearance we're all used to? To what
>> temp. to you cook it? Do you braise it, or roast it? If it's a locally
>> cured product, they have to inject the femoral artery shortly after the
>> pig is slaughtered, and/or spray inject the rest of the leg. I can't
>> imagine a butcher shop, or even a small wholesale house doing this.
>> Please tell.
>>
>> Kent,
>>

> Any grocery store. Cook's. Read the label.
>

> Ms P

Cook's Hams have to be precooked. Their instructions, "heat at 250 F for
approximately 12-15 minutes per pound. (Estimated heating times: Half
ham--approx. 2 hours; Whole ham--approx. 3 hours.)", doesn't cook a ham. It
warms up a precooked ham.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
> >> U.S. are the
> >> dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham].
> >> They're
> >> a lot more than $1.29/lb.

> > They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.
> >

> I don't know anywhere in California where you can buy a wet cured fresh ham.

We must be having a terminology problem. For instance, I don't know
what "fresh" means. These are just regular old hams. They are cured
and smoked. They have to be cooked. They don't come in a can. They
don't require any prep (no soaking or scrubbing).

You buy them at any local supermarket in the US. You get cooking
instructions off of the label or any standard cook book.

> Is the ham a brand name? How do they cure it? Does it have nitrates, to give
> it the "ham" flavor and appearance we're all used to? To what temp. to you
> cook it? Do you braise it, or roast it? If it's a locally cured product,
> they have to inject the femoral artery shortly after the pig is slaughtered,
> and/or spray inject the rest of the leg. I can't imagine a butcher shop, or
> even a small wholesale house doing this. Please tell.

A lot of questions, and I have few answers.

I needed something at the local supermarket, so I hoofed it down there
(Safeway). I peeked in the meat section. They had all of three hams
there, two shank halves and one butt half. They had a lot of fully
cooked hams also, plus some in cans. The butt was US$2.49 a pound,
which translated to over US$20. I guess I'll wait for Easter. It's too
dang hot anyway. I won't bother telling you the brand, since the fine
print said "Safeway", so it's a store brand.

I grabbed the first cookbook I could find. It's the Joy of Cooking,
copyright 1977. The first cooking instructions read:

1. Ham labeled "Cook Before Eating"

preheat oven to 325.

Place ham on a rack, uncovered

[cooking instructions snipped, 18-35 minutes a pound, depending on
weight and configuration, a butt 5 to 7 pounds, 20 minutes a pound]

in all cases, cook until 160 internal

[end of rough quote from JoC]

If you've only eaten fully cooked hams and haven't tried one of these, I
strongly recommend trying one. They are easy, just toss in the oven. I
recommend taking off the plastic first, though. They are apparently
cheaper, although I'm not sure. Between the bone, the skin, the fat (a
lot) and the water, I don't know how much meat you actually get. To me,
it tastes a lot better, and it's worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Ms P" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>

>>> I don't know anywhere in California where you can buy a wet cured fresh
>>> ham. Is the ham a brand name? How do they cure it? Does it have
>>> nitrates, to give it the "ham" flavor and appearance we're all used to?
>>> To what temp. to you cook it? Do you braise it, or roast it? If it's a
>>> locally cured product, they have to inject the femoral artery shortly
>>> after the pig is slaughtered, and/or spray inject the rest of the leg. I
>>> can't imagine a butcher shop, or even a small wholesale house doing
>>> this. Please tell.
>>>
>>> Kent,
>>>

>> Any grocery store. Cook's. Read the label.
>>

>> Ms P
>>

> Cook's Hams have to be precooked. Their instructions, "heat at 250 F for
> approximately 12-15 minutes per pound. (Estimated heating times: Half
> ham--approx. 2 hours; Whole ham--approx. 3 hours.)", doesn't cook a ham.
> It warms up a precooked ham.
>
> Kent

They're cured and smoked but not cooked. Heating is cooking. They mean
that's all you have to do. You don't have to scrub it and soak it and boil
it before you bake it like you do a country ham.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The hams I buy are Smithfield or Cooks. I look for the spiral sliced
hames, but sometimes they are not available. Once, I bought a Cooks ham
that was not spiral sliced, and it was not cooked either, I had to bake
it. Like Steve said, "Ready to cook" was printed on the label.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Ms P" > wrote in message

> >> Any grocery store. Cook's. Read the label.

> > Cook's Hams have to be precooked. Their instructions, "heat at 250 F for
> > approximately 12-15 minutes per pound. (Estimated heating times: Half
> > ham--approx. 2 hours; Whole ham--approx. 3 hours.)", doesn't cook a ham.
> > It warms up a precooked ham.
> >
> > Kent

> They're cured and smoked but not cooked. Heating is cooking. They mean
> that's all you have to do. You don't have to scrub it and soak it and boil
> it before you bake it like you do a country ham.

In my book, when it comes to hams, heating and cooking aren't the same
thing. Many companies sell both kinds, though. Cook's does, darned if
I can figure out their web site very easily. I found the instructions
that Kent quoted above, which are for spiral cut precooked hams. I also
found these, which call for completely different cooking:

http://www.cooksham.com/pages/kitche...ole_portioned/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ms P" > wrote:
>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > Cook's Hams have to be precooked. Their instructions, "heat at 250 F
>> > for
>> > approximately 12-15 minutes per pound. (Estimated heating times: Half
>> > ham--approx. 2 hours; Whole ham--approx. 3 hours.)", doesn't cook a
>> > ham.
>> > It warms up a precooked ham.
>> >
>> > Kent

>> They're cured and smoked but not cooked. Heating is cooking. They mean
>> that's all you have to do. You don't have to scrub it and soak it and
>> boil
>> it before you bake it like you do a country ham.

> In my book, when it comes to hams, heating and cooking aren't the same
> thing. Many companies sell both kinds, though. Cook's does, darned if
> I can figure out their web site very easily. I found the instructions
> that Kent quoted above, which are for spiral cut precooked hams. I also
> found these, which call for completely different cooking:
>
> http://www.cooksham.com/pages/kitche...ole_portioned/

I looked for instructions like that on their site and didn't find them. The
above URL does give instructions about cooking a raw ham. It isn't at all
clear on their product list "what cooked and is what isn't". The bottom line
is that you should cook raw ham to an internal temp. of about 155-160F. You
really can't do that with a 250F oven unless you're willing to sit about a
very long time. Sorry for the confusion.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unhappy 4th!

Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

--
Helen
in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in news:f6j17l$r6k$1
@news.albasani.net:

> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

So sorry to hear of this....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM said...

> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

The BUMS!!!!!!

((

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in news:f6j17l$r6k$1
@news.albasani.net:

> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

Scumbag frukkenmumblefrikken *******s :-/

I *HATE* scum that do that shit.

My solution? A double tap to the face of every scummy arsehole who wants
to invade someone elses home.

OK, so most people aren't up on doing 1 second DT's to a head........ so
hit the *******s in the chest with a Dt and then walk up and give 'em a Dt
to the face.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:

> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

Oh no!

--
-Gina in Italy

Favorite phrase of the day: Messiah-envy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

Oh, how lovely. :-( I am so sorry to hear this. Have you made a list of
what is missing? It may be difficult to determine, I know. When I was
broken into, I'd still find things missing up to a few weeks later. I just
kept calling the police to add the items to the report.

Good luck and I hope they catch the guys who did this.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

What bad luck! Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 11:44?am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
> > Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

> > Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

> Oh, how lovely. :-( I am so sorry to hear this. Have you made a list of
> what is missing? It may be difficult to determine, I know. When I was
> broken into, I'd still find things missing up to a few weeks later. I just
> kept calling the police to add the items to the report.
>
> Good luck and I hope they catch the guys who did this.

Geeze, that sucks.

Chances are they won't catch the thieves, not unless there was
anything valuable and out of the ordinary taken, something that would
send up a red flag when it was attempted to be disposed of. Everyone
should take lots of pictures of everything they own, all valuables,
room by room, wall by wall, open each closet, each dresser drawer,
every cabinet... basement, attic, garage, everything outdoors, even
inside your car trunk. Then upload all your pics to a photo website,
there are plenty of free ones. And take tons of pictures, with
digicams it's easy, it's free.

I hope they catch the thief, but don't hold your breath... your stuff
is probably all gone by now, traded for drugs.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:

> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!
>
> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

That is unfortunate. It leaves you feeling violated doesn't it. My house
was broken into about 15 years ago. We were away on a skiing vacation at
the time. The police caught the burglars. It was a bunch of teenagers from
my sons school. They knew we were going to be away for the March break. We
used to get a lot of telephone calls with hang-ups as soon as we answered.
We got a new and unlisted number after that, but now that we have call
display we are listed again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 12:25?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
>
> > Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

> > Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

> That is unfortunate. It leaves you feeling violated doesn't it. My house
> was broken into about 15 years ago. We were away on a skiing vacation at
> the time. The police caught the burglars. It was a bunch of teenagers from
> my sons school. They knew we were going to be away for the March break. We
> used to get a lot of telephone calls with hang-ups as soon as we answered.
> We got a new and unlisted number after that, but now that we have call
> display we are listed again.

What's "call display" and what does that have to do with having an
unpublished number?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Jul 5, 12:25?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
>>
>> > Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

>> > Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

>> That is unfortunate. It leaves you feeling violated doesn't it. My
>> house was broken into about 15 years ago. We were away on a skiing
>> vacation at the time. The police caught the burglars. It was a bunch
>> of teenagers from my sons school. They knew we were going to be away
>> for the March break. We used to get a lot of telephone calls with
>> hang-ups as soon as we answered. We got a new and unlisted number
>> after that, but now that we have call display we are listed again.

> What's "call display" and what does that have to do with having an
> unpublished number?
>
> Sheldon

You can have call display and have your number blocked from showing on
other's phones...well you can up here. So sayth the telephone Company
employeee. There's the feature where you push a series of numbers and
block your number from showing on a call by call bases or you can have
total number blocking at various levels of serverity on all calls you
make. That doesn't stop you from seeing who is calling you...excepting
others can do the same. You can also get label service where a number not
necessarily yours is displayed (businesses do it all the time). When they
want you to call back at a 800 number or whatever.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 10:50 am, Abe > wrote:
> >> Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

> >> Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

> >My solution? A double tap to the face of every scummy arsehole who wants
> >to invade someone elses home.

> Unfortunately, unless you can PROVE that your life was in imminent
> danger, and no, the break-in alone isn't enough to prove that, you're
> looking at a very long time in jail.
>
> Sad but true.

I don't agree with Missouri's asshole, Republican (sorry, I know
that's redundant) governor about much, but he just signed a Castle
Doctrine Law. What a joy it'd be to gun down a home invader!

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus said...

> Sheldon > wrote in
> ups.com:

>>> That is unfortunate. It leaves you feeling violated doesn't it. My
>>> house was broken into about 15 years ago. We were away on a skiing
>>> vacation at the time. The police caught the burglars. It was a bunch
>>> of teenagers from my sons school. They knew we were going to be away
>>> for the March break. We used to get a lot of telephone calls with
>>> hang-ups as soon as we answered. We got a new and unlisted number
>>> after that, but now that we have call display we are listed again.

>> What's "call display" and what does that have to do with having an
>> unpublished number?
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

> You can have call display and have your number blocked from showing on
> other's phones...well you can up here. So sayth the telephone Company
> employeee. There's the feature where you push a series of numbers and
> block your number from showing on a call by call bases or you can have
> total number blocking at various levels of serverity on all calls you
> make. That doesn't stop you from seeing who is calling you...excepting
> others can do the same. You can also get label service where a number not
> necessarily yours is displayed (businesses do it all the time). When they
> want you to call back at a 800 number or whatever.

There are two primary features (all features are covered in the front of
your phonebook).

Call Block
Call Reject

Call Block blocks the caller's number from the receiving party.
(Doesn't work on 911 and the realm of 800, 866, etc. numbers).

Call Reject rejects calls that use Call Block.
(Again doesn't work on 911 and the "realm")

Caller ID is a the familiar third service (incoming # ID) that's only
useful purpose these days is for Caller Photo ID at a glance, seen on
advanced cell phones. If it's a pay-for service, it's hardly worth the
money.

And then there's *57. This will record incoming call info for police, used
for "harassment by phone" instances, aiding in criminal prosecution.

What you CAN do is when you leave the house, turn on call-forwarding to
your cell phone. You'll get your house phone calls on the cell and callers
will be none the wiser.

Again all this information is in the front of your phonebook. Informative
reading, if nothing else.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 5, 12:25?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
>>
>> > Well it wasn't a happy 4th for us!

>> > Our place in Texas was broken into and robbed as well as ransacked!

Oh Helen I have only just seen this! I am so sorry

Food for Reheating Later gloria.p General Cooking 1 21-04-2010 05:14 AM
Reheating After Freezing hutchndi Sourdough 10 01-02-2006 09:19 PM
reheating ribs bk Barbecue 7 06-09-2005 10:07 PM
Reheating mash! Squet34785 General Cooking 3 25-07-2005 05:39 AM
reheating tri-tip [email protected] Barbecue 2 09-06-2005 11:49 PM