Chikako Hidaka

Default Recipe for Chines hot and sour soup

Dear all,

Maybe an old and well talked-about matter on this newsgroup, I nedd the best
of it.

Hideto Hidaka

John

"Chikako Hidaka" > wrote in message >...
> Dear all,
>
> Maybe an old and well talked-about matter on this newsgroup, I nedd the best
> of it.
>

> Hideto Hidaka

Here is my recipe for hot and sour. I learned it from the lady who
runs the oriental market (Makes enough for four).

2 cans chicken broth
1 large egg
pinch of salt
1 brick tofu
1/4 cup shredded bamboo shoots
1/4 straw mushrooms
1/4 t dry ginger
1/2 t garlic
1/4 cup minced pork
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 t crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
2 t oil
2T Corn Starch
2T Water

Add 2t oil to hot wok. Add pork and garlic. Cook until done. Add
the broth. Heat until boiling. While waiting for the broth to boil,
mix the egg and salt in a bowl until well beaten. With the broth
boiling, slowly drizzle the egg into the boiling broth. DO NOT STIR.
Reduce the broth to a simmer and add the rest of the ingredents except
corn starch and water.

Mix corn starh and water together and add to soup to thicken. Serve
hot.
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
(John) wrote:

> "Chikako Hidaka" > wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Maybe an old and well talked-about matter on this newsgroup, I nedd the
> > best
> > of it.
> >

> > Hideto Hidaka

> Here is my recipe for hot and sour. I learned it from the lady who
> runs the oriental market (Makes enough for four).
>
> 2 cans chicken broth
> 1 large egg
> pinch of salt
> 1 brick tofu
> 1/4 cup shredded bamboo shoots
> 1/4 straw mushrooms
> 1/4 t dry ginger
> 1/2 t garlic
> 1/4 cup minced pork
> 2 T rice wine vinegar
> 2 t crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
> 2 t oil
> 2T Corn Starch
> 2T Water
>
> Add 2t oil to hot wok. Add pork and garlic. Cook until done. Add
> the broth. Heat until boiling. While waiting for the broth to boil,
> mix the egg and salt in a bowl until well beaten. With the broth
> boiling, slowly drizzle the egg into the boiling broth. DO NOT STIR.
> Reduce the broth to a simmer and add the rest of the ingredents except
> corn starch and water.
>
> Mix corn starh and water together and add to soup to thicken. Serve
> hot.

In some recipes (ones that I prefer) the "hot" comes not from red
pepper, but from white pepper (which is ordinary black peppercorns with
the skin removed). I suspect that the white pepper version is "more
authentic", considering that piper niger was available in the orient for
a long time before capsicum peppers were imported from the new world.

Many recipes also add dried tiger lily blossoms. Yum.

Isaac
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:41:37 GMT, Isaac Wingfield >
> wrote:
>
> >In some recipes (ones that I prefer) the "hot" comes not from red
> >pepper, but from white pepper (which is ordinary black peppercorns with
> >the skin removed).

> Black pepper is immature white peppercorns (white peppercorns are
> bigger than black, though once they are fully ripe their skins are
> removed).

Yes. I only meant to say that they were from the same plant, rather
than being as different as "red" pepper is from black.

Isaac