Melba's Jammin'

Default Squash Soup - making it up as I went along

I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
won't swear to it.

I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
a little margarine.

I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
(maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
(there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
modom

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:03:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
>sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
>me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
>won't swear to it.
>
>I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
>pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
>seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
>a little margarine.
>
>I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
>saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
>(maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
>frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
>with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
>(there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
>so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
>it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
>richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
>ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
>do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.

Sounds very good. I've done something like this with pumpkin once or
twice. Maybe a little plain yogurt at the end? I mean for thickening
and giving it a richer mouth feel.

And why the magarine? Butter! Butter, ma'am! Butter is not only a
prima facie case for the existence of God, but also proof of Her love
for us!

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss
modom

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:35:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> Sounds very good. I've done something like this with pumpkin once or
>> twice. Maybe a little plain yogurt at the end?

>I ran across at least one recipe that involved a sour cream garnish.
>Man, does that ever not appeal to me.

I have to agree. Lately, I've come to the point where I just don't
get sour cream in most uses. But have you ever shlurped whole milk
yogurt? Yum.

>I had something like this years ago at a lovely inn in Vermont -- first
>time I'd ever HEARD of squash soup -- pretty hoity toity for the likes
>o'me.

Yeah, right.

>>I mean for thickening and giving it a richer mouth feel.

>This was broth-y and not at all unpleasant.

I get it, now. So file the mouth feel stuff for future use. Or not.
Sounds like the mouth feel you got here was your target (as much as
one can have a target in an improvisation).

>> And why the magarine? Butter! Butter, ma'am! Butter is not only a
>> prima facie case for the existence of God, but also proof of Her love
>> for us!

>I've been feverish lately. "-) Where's my Manhattan?

Many hundreds of miles to the east, I'd say, absent a map. I got most
of a bottle of Weller's down here in Cow Hill, should your wanderlust
-- *ahem* -- overcome you, however. Weller's and branch water is hard
to beat.
modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:35:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> wrote:
> >(snip)
> >
> >> Sounds very good. I've done something like this with pumpkin once or
> >> twice. Maybe a little plain yogurt at the end?

> >I ran across at least one recipe that involved a sour cream garnish.
> >Man, does that ever not appeal to me.

> I have to agree. Lately, I've come to the point where I just don't
> get sour cream in most uses. But have you ever shlurped whole milk
> yogurt? Yum.
>
> >I had something like this years ago at a lovely inn in Vermont --
> >first time I'd ever HEARD of squash soup -- pretty hoity toity for
> >the likes o'me.
> >

> Yeah, right.
>
> >>I mean for thickening and giving it a richer mouth feel.

> >This was broth-y and not at all unpleasant.

> I get it, now. So file the mouth feel stuff for future use. Or not.
> Sounds like the mouth feel you got here was your target (as much as
> one can have a target in an improvisation).

Actually, what I had in mind was something velvety and smooth, I think,
remembering the Vermont inn meal. Didn't pan out that way at all. I
didn't work at it, either. :-) I think if I were ever going to do this
to try to impress someone, I'd maybe puree the squash and cooked onion
and then strain it. Not sure if the velvety consistency would be
achieved by a roux-y binder, heavy cream, a combination, or just more
squash. :-) I liked the curry, though. Other recipes I'd seen
involved ginger -- I was thinking more along the lines of a nutmeg
dusting. Think that sounds too much like dessert?

> >> And why the magarine? Butter! Butter, ma'am! Butter is not only
> >> a prima facie case for the existence of God, but also proof of Her
> >> love for us!

> >I've been feverish lately. "-) Where's my Manhattan?

> Many hundreds of miles to the east, I'd say, absent a map. I got
> most of a bottle of Weller's down here in Cow Hill, should your
> wanderlust -- *ahem* -- overcome you, however. Weller's and branch
> water is hard to beat. modom

I'm not much of a drinker -- what you describe sounds pretty medicinal
tasting to me. Blech.
--
-Barb (
www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

Carnivore269

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
> sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
> me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
> won't swear to it.
>
> I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
> pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
> seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
> a little margarine.
>
> I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
> saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
> (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
> frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
> with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
> (there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
> so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
> it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
> richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
> ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
> do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.

Gosh darn this sounds good!
I'm going to have to try it with Turban Squash. :-)
I like turbans as if you can keep the shell whole, it makes a decorative
serving container for thanksgiving!

C.
Carnivore269

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
> sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
> me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
> won't swear to it.
>
> I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
> pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
> seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
> a little margarine.
>
> I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
> saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
> (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
> frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
> with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
> (there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
> so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
> it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
> richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
> ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
> do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.

Gosh darn this sounds good!
I'm going to have to try it with Turban Squash. :-)
I like turbans as if you can keep the shell whole, it makes a decorative
serving container for thanksgiving!

C.
Adam Schwartz

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
> sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
> me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
> won't swear to it.
>
> I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
> pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
> seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
> a little margarine.
>
> I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
> saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
> (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
> frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
> with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
> (there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
> so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
> it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
> richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
> ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
> do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

I'm none too familiar with curling stones, but if they're those heavy round
things with handles, I'd say you're dealing with a crookneck squash. The
soup sounds very good. As a matter of fact, I just got the squash soup
recipe from the restaurant where I work, and it's almost identical.

Bob Pastorio

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Actually, what I had in mind was something velvety and smooth, I think,
> remembering the Vermont inn meal. Didn't pan out that way at all. I
> didn't work at it, either. :-) I think if I were ever going to do this
> to try to impress someone, I'd maybe puree the squash and cooked onion
> and then strain it. Not sure if the velvety consistency would be
> achieved by a roux-y binder, heavy cream, a combination, or just more
> squash. :-) I liked the curry, though. Other recipes I'd seen
> involved ginger -- I was thinking more along the lines of a nutmeg
> dusting. Think that sounds too much like dessert?

To get that smoothness, you need to cook the squash until it's nearly
a puree; extremely soft. Most very old soups like this use a
combination of cream and bread crumbs for thickening. More modern ones
use a touch of roux. The newest ones use a purer starch like arrowroot
or corn starch mixed as a slurry with the cream.

Basic technique is to cook the squash (if you're going to nuke it, I'd
season it inside a bit before cooking - salt, pepper, touch of garlic,
grating of nutmeg) until very tender. Virtually no resistance to the
point of a knife. Finely chop and cook the onions in plenty of butter
over low heat until very tender. Combine the squash and onions and
puree. I'd use a wand blender, but a processor would work fine. Then
add the cream and back onto the stove to finish and thicken.

For service, I'd whip a little cream with a dash of either marsala
wine or a bit of bourbon and put a generous tablespoon on top.
Sparingly grate nutmeg over and serve. Cornbread (more caky than
crumbly) would be good with it.

I once did a pumpkin soup like this and used cake crumbs and cream to
thicken. Nutmeg, clove, ginger, cinnamon. It was stunning. Wonderful.
Slight sweetness, but not desserty.

Pastorio

Peggy

Adam Schwartz wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
>>sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
>>me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
>>won't swear to it.
>>
>>I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
>>pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
>>seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
>>a little margarine.
>>
>>I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
>>saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
>>(maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
>>frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
>>with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
>>(there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
>>so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
>>it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
>>richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
>>ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
>>do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.
>>--
>>-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

> I'm none too familiar with curling stones, but if they're those heavy round
> things with handles, I'd say you're dealing with a crookneck squash. The
> soup sounds very good. As a matter of fact, I just got the squash soup
> recipe from the restaurant where I work, and it's almost identical.

Try mixing in a few tablespoons of peanut butter, then garnishing with
some chopped peanuts and scallions. Absolutely DEE-LISH!

Peg

A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:34:33 -0400, Peggy
> wrote:

>Adam Schwartz wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday -- not
>>>sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind of* reminded
>>>me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a Buttercup variation but
>>>won't swear to it.
>>>
>>>I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down on a
>>>pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time. Scooped the
>>>seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my hand mixer, adding
>>>a little margarine.
>>>
>>>I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
>>>saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry powder
>>>(maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred in some
>>>frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée the onions
>>>with a stick blender; and then combined that with the whipped squash
>>>(there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this time - maybe 3/4 cup or
>>>so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought it all to a quick boil, shut
>>>it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk (good thing I didn't have anything
>>>richer in the fridge; I'd have used that), and poured it into a bowl,
>>>ground a little pepper on top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely
>>>do it again, maybe making a thicker potion.
>>>--
>>>-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

>> I'm none too familiar with curling stones, but if they're those heavy round
>> things with handles, I'd say you're dealing with a crookneck squash. The
>> soup sounds very good. As a matter of fact, I just got the squash soup
>> recipe from the restaurant where I work, and it's almost identical.
>>

>Try mixing in a few tablespoons of peanut butter, then garnishing with
>some chopped peanuts and scallions. Absolutely DEE-LISH!
>
>Peg

I'll second what Peg says. Haven't used the scallions, but smooth
peanut butter really combines well in squash soup.

......Alan.

Post no bills
Melba's Jammin'

In article <efyib.751565$YN5.705087@sccrnsc01>, "Adam Schwartz"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > I bought a gorgeous winter squash at the farmers market yesterday
> > -- not sure of the variety -- bright orange shell, the shape *kind
> > of* reminded me of a curling stone. I want to think it's a
> > Buttercup variation but won't swear to it.
> >
> > I managed to whack it in half longitudinally and put it face down
> > on a pie plate and nuked it -- maybe 13 minutes total time.
> > Scooped the seeds and fibers after nuking. I whipped it with my
> > hand mixer, adding a little margarine.
> >
> > I sweated some minced onion (not much -- less than 1/4 cup) in a
> > saucepan with a little margarine, then sprinkled on some curry
> > powder (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and cooked that a little. I stirred
> > in some frozen homemade de-fatted chicken broth and tried to purée
> > the onions with a stick blender; and then combined that with the
> > whipped squash (there wasn't a whole lot of squash left by this
> > time - maybe 3/4 cup or so; I'd been, um, tasting it). I brought
> > it all to a quick boil, shut it off and stirred in 'some' 2% milk
> > (good thing I didn't have anything richer in the fridge; I'd have
> > used that), and poured it into a bowl, ground a little pepper on
> > top and enjoyed it immensely. I'll definitely do it again, maybe
> > making a thicker potion. -- -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated
> > 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

> I'm none too familiar with curling stones, but if they're those heavy
> round things with handles, I'd say you're dealing with a crookneck
> squash.

I'm not sure what it is, but I know it is not a crookneck.

>The soup sounds very good. As a matter of fact, I just got the squash
>soup recipe from the restaurant where I work, and it's almost
>identical.

Funny. I hope you work in a fancy-schmancy place -- I'd like to be in
good company. :-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Carnivore269

Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Actually, what I had in mind was something velvety and smooth, I think,
> > remembering the Vermont inn meal. Didn't pan out that way at all. I
> > didn't work at it, either. :-) I think if I were ever going to do this
> > to try to impress someone, I'd maybe puree the squash and cooked onion
> > and then strain it. Not sure if the velvety consistency would be
> > achieved by a roux-y binder, heavy cream, a combination, or just more
> > squash. :-) I liked the curry, though. Other recipes I'd seen
> > involved ginger -- I was thinking more along the lines of a nutmeg
> > dusting. Think that sounds too much like dessert?

> To get that smoothness, you need to cook the squash until it's nearly
> a puree; extremely soft. Most very old soups like this use a
> combination of cream and bread crumbs for thickening. More modern ones
> use a touch of roux. The newest ones use a purer starch like arrowroot
> or corn starch mixed as a slurry with the cream.
>
> Basic technique is to cook the squash (if you're going to nuke it, I'd
> season it inside a bit before cooking - salt, pepper, touch of garlic,
> grating of nutmeg) until very tender. Virtually no resistance to the
> point of a knife. Finely chop and cook the onions in plenty of butter
> over low heat until very tender. Combine the squash and onions and
> puree. I'd use a wand blender, but a processor would work fine. Then
> add the cream and back onto the stove to finish and thicken.
>
> For service, I'd whip a little cream with a dash of either marsala
> wine or a bit of bourbon and put a generous tablespoon on top.
> Sparingly grate nutmeg over and serve. Cornbread (more caky than
> crumbly) would be good with it.
>
> I once did a pumpkin soup like this and used cake crumbs and cream to
> thicken. Nutmeg, clove, ginger, cinnamon. It was stunning. Wonderful.
> Slight sweetness, but not desserty.
>
> Pastorio

Damn. I'm e-mailing this one to myself for permanent storage....

Thank you! ;-)

C.
Rhonda Anderson

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> Actually, what I had in mind was something velvety and smooth, I think,
> remembering the Vermont inn meal. Didn't pan out that way at all. I
> didn't work at it, either. :-) I think if I were ever going to do this
> to try to impress someone, I'd maybe puree the squash and cooked onion
> and then strain it. Not sure if the velvety consistency would be
> achieved by a roux-y binder, heavy cream, a combination, or just more
> squash. :-) I liked the curry, though. Other recipes I'd seen
> involved ginger -- I was thinking more along the lines of a nutmeg
> dusting. Think that sounds too much like dessert?

I make pumpkin soup using butternut pumpkin, which I think you call
butternut squash in the US. I just cook some diced onion till soft in a
little butter or oil, then throw in the diced pumpkin. Cook the pumpkin
off, stirring, for a minute or so. I then cover with chicken stock and cook
till pumpkin is very soft. Get out the stick blender (now that I have one -
used to do it in the blender) and puree.Salt and black pepper to taste. I
don't add any cream or milk - just end up with a thin pureed pumpkin I
suppose. Sometimes I cook some ginger with the onion, or throw in a little
curry powder. I have a recipe somewhere for a pumpkin and macadamia soup,
which was quite nice.

Tonight we're having some sweet potato soup I made on the weekend and froze
in a couple of batches. Same sort of thing. Cooked off some onion, ginger
and curry powder in macadamia oil. Chopped up some gold sweet potatoes,
cooked for a couple of minutes. Covered with chicken stock till very soft,
pureed to a lovely smooth soup. Bit of salt and pepper. Lovely with a
crusty bread roll.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Rhonda
Anderson > wrote:
(snip)
> Tonight we're having some sweet potato soup I made on the weekend and
> froze in a couple of batches. Same sort of thing. Cooked off some
> onion, ginger and curry powder in macadamia oil. Chopped up some gold
> sweet potatoes, cooked for a couple of minutes. Covered with chicken
> stock till very soft, pureed to a lovely smooth soup. Bit of salt and
> pepper. Lovely with a crusty bread roll.

That sounds really yummy, Rhonda -- I'd been thinking that sweet
potatoes would work, too. I picked up some fat-free half & half
yesterday to use in my next batch of the soup.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article > , Rhonda
> Anderson > wrote:
> (snip)
> > Tonight we're having some sweet potato soup I made on the weekend and
> > froze in a couple of batches. Same sort of thing. Cooked off some
> > onion, ginger and curry powder in macadamia oil. Chopped up some gold
> > sweet potatoes, cooked for a couple of minutes. Covered with chicken
> > stock till very soft, pureed to a lovely smooth soup. Bit of salt and
> > pepper. Lovely with a crusty bread roll.

> That sounds really yummy, Rhonda -- I'd been thinking that sweet
> potatoes would work, too. I picked up some fat-free half & half
> yesterday to use in my next batch of the soup.
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)

Oh Boy, I think that Sunshine just printed your secret recipe, the
Sweepstakes White Bread.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article > , Rhonda
> > Anderson > wrote:
> > (snip)
> > > Tonight we're having some sweet potato soup I made on the weekend and
> > > froze in a couple of batches. Same sort of thing. Cooked off some
> > > onion, ginger and curry powder in macadamia oil. Chopped up some gold
> > > sweet potatoes, cooked for a couple of minutes. Covered with chicken
> > > stock till very soft, pureed to a lovely smooth soup. Bit of salt and
> > > pepper. Lovely with a crusty bread roll.

> > That sounds really yummy, Rhonda -- I'd been thinking that sweet
> > potatoes would work, too. I picked up some fat-free half & half
> > yesterday to use in my next batch of the soup.
> > --
> > -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats
> > tab)

> Oh Boy, I think that Sunshine just printed your secret recipe, the
> Sweepstakes White Bread.

Not even close. I've posted that recipe at least once, I think. BTW, I
got my 6 copies of the book from Amazon today.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article > , Rhonda
> > Anderson > wrote:
> > (snip)
> > > Tonight we're having some sweet potato soup I made on the weekend and
> > > froze in a couple of batches. Same sort of thing. Cooked off some
> > > onion, ginger and curry powder in macadamia oil. Chopped up some gold
> > > sweet potatoes, cooked for a couple of minutes. Covered with chicken
> > > stock till very soft, pureed to a lovely smooth soup. Bit of salt and
> > > pepper. Lovely with a crusty bread roll.

> > That sounds really yummy, Rhonda -- I'd been thinking that sweet
> > potatoes would work, too. I picked up some fat-free half & half
> > yesterday to use in my next batch of the soup.
> > --
> > -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats
> > tab)

> Oh Boy, I think that Sunshine just printed your secret recipe, the
> Sweepstakes White Bread.

Nope, but that book that's pictured at the bottom is the one I had a
chance to be included in (for Chokecherry Jelly and Watermelon Pickles)
and opted to not -- and have regretted it ever since. Catherine Hanley
was a weenie in either Pillsbury's or Betty Crocker's test kitchens
before she wrote that book. It's a very good book for the likes o'me.

I've baked and sold that white bread, though -- $5 or $6 for a loaf.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)