Old 12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Doris Winter

Default pronunciation question

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Steve Calvin

Doris Winter wrote:

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

Phonetically speaking.... res-a-pee

--
Steve

Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Steve Calvin

modom wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter wrote:

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

RESS-eh-pea

Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan

yeah, your's is probably more accurate modom.

--
Steve

Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
PENMART01

In article , modom
writes:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter wrote:

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

RESS-eh-pea

Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

Actually it's 're-seh--pee

Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: rec·i·pe
Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 13-10-2003, 01:17 AM
LIMEYNO1

ress ih pee

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/207/145

Old 13-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter wrote:

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

There was an old-fashioned American(?) use of 'receipt' (reh-CEET) as
a substitute for 'recipe', sometimes even in spelling. It may be a
sort of 'country' term, and I have heard older folks use this in
speaking. However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.
Old 13-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:54:18 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter wrote:

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

There was an old-fashioned American(?) use of 'receipt' (reh-CEET) as
a substitute for 'recipe', sometimes even in spelling. It may be a
sort of 'country' term, and I have heard older folks use this in
speaking. However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.

Like German "Rezept" meaning "recipe" and "prescription". As recipe used to
in English at one time.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 13-10-2003, 02:32 PM
PENMART01

Frogleg writes:

However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.

No it is not, you hair triggered little pee-pee.

--- *Reh suh pee* ---

Old 13-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Barry Grau

Doris Winter wrote in message ...
Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

Do you also need pronunciation for the word "dictionary?"

-bwg

Old 13-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Doris Winter

PENMART01 wrote:

RESS-eh-pea

Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

Actually it's 're-seh--pee

Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: rec·i·pe
Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
---

Thank you very much. BTW, I'm not from France but from Germany. I just
saw Jamie Oliver on air in a German TV show and wondered why the
moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I would
have pronounced it like 're-sype'...
Old 13-10-2003, 11:46 PM
modom

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:58:49 +0200, Doris Winter wrote:

PENMART01 wrote:

RESS-eh-pea

Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

Actually it's 're-seh--pee

Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: rec·i·pe
Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
---

Thank you very much. BTW, I'm not from France but from Germany. I just
saw Jamie Oliver on air in a German TV show and wondered why the
moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I would
have pronounced it like 're-sype'...

Well that's English phonics for you.

modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss
Old 14-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Corbasse

Doris Winter wrote:

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

If you want to hear it firsthand, instead of reading confusing attempts
to write it phonetically (res-eeh-pee, raysa-pea, reh-zee-pear) go to
http://www.cooldictionary.com/?word=...olDict ionary
and click on the pronunciation link.

Michiel van der Linden
Bruges, Belgium

Old 14-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:26:29 GMT, Corbasse wrote:

Doris Winter wrote:

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

If you want to hear it firsthand, instead of reading confusing attempts
to write it phonetically (res-eeh-pee, raysa-pea, reh-zee-pear) go to
http://www.cooldictionary.com/?word=...olDict ionary
and click on the pronunciation link.

If you want to hear "recipe" pronounced by Kermit the frog.

Old 16-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Vilco \(out\)

"Doris Winter" ha scritto

moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I

would
have pronounced it like 're-sype'...

Same here in Italy ;O)

Vilco

re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:56 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:51 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:26 PM
Need Help On Pronunciation Sioux Wine 4 13-11-2006 11:40 AM
OT - Pronunciation PENMART01 General Cooking 0 02-12-2004 06:33 PM