FoodBanter.com

-   -   pronunciation question (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1273-pronunciation-question.html)

Doris Winter 12-10-2003 06:22 PM

pronunciation question

Hey guys,

please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
Thank you very much,

Doris

Steve Calvin 12-10-2003 06:27 PM

pronunciation question

Doris Winter wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
> Thank you very much,
>
> Doris

Phonetically speaking.... res-a-pee

--
Steve

Steve Calvin 12-10-2003 06:32 PM

pronunciation question

modom wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter > wrote:
>

>>Hey guys,
>>
>>please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
>>Thank you very much,
>>
>>Doris

> RESS-eh-pea
>
> Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.
>

> modom
>
> Since I lost the brindle cat,
> The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
> -- Han Shan

yeah, your's is probably more accurate modom.

--
Steve

modom 12-10-2003 06:32 PM

pronunciation question

PENMART01 12-10-2003 07:10 PM

pronunciation question

In article >, modom
> writes:

>On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter > wrote:
>
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
>>Thank you very much,
>>
>>Doris

>RESS-eh-pea
>
>Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

Actually it's 're-seh--pee

Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: rec·i·pe
Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

LIMEYNO1 13-10-2003 01:17 AM

pronunciation question

ress ih pee

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/207/145

Frogleg 13-10-2003 11:54 AM

pronunciation question

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter > wrote:

>please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
>Thank you very much,

There was an old-fashioned American(?) use of 'receipt' (reh-CEET) as
a substitute for 'recipe', sometimes even in spelling. It may be a
sort of 'country' term, and I have heard older folks use this in
speaking. However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.

Tim Challenger 13-10-2003 02:29 PM

pronunciation question

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:54:18 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:22:33 +0200, Doris Winter > wrote:

>>please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
>>Thank you very much,

> There was an old-fashioned American(?) use of 'receipt' (reh-CEET) as
> a substitute for 'recipe', sometimes even in spelling. It may be a
> sort of 'country' term, and I have heard older folks use this in
> speaking. However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.

Like German "Rezept" meaning "recipe" and "prescription". As recipe used to
in English at one time.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

PENMART01 13-10-2003 02:32 PM

pronunciation question

Frogleg > writes:

>However, 'recipe' is RESS-uh-pee.

No it is not, you hair triggered little pee-pee.

---> *Reh suh pee* <---

Barry Grau 13-10-2003 05:22 PM

pronunciation question

Doris Winter > wrote in message >...
> Hey guys,
>
> please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
> Thank you very much,
>
> Doris

Do you also need pronunciation for the word "dictionary?"

-bwg

Doris Winter 13-10-2003 08:58 PM

pronunciation question

PENMART01 wrote:

>>RESS-eh-pea
>>
>>Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

> Actually it's 're-seh--pee
>
> Merriam Webster:
> Main Entry: rec·i·pe
> Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
> ---

Thank you very much. BTW, I'm not from France but from Germany. I just
saw Jamie Oliver on air in a German TV show and wondered why the
moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I would
have pronounced it like 're-sype'...

modom 13-10-2003 11:46 PM

pronunciation question

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:58:49 +0200, Doris Winter > wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>
>>>RESS-eh-pea
>>>
>>>Hope this crosses the English/French phonetics divide.

>> Actually it's 're-seh--pee
>>
>> Merriam Webster:
>> Main Entry: rec·i·pe
>> Pronunciation: 're-s&-(")pE
>> ---

>Thank you very much. BTW, I'm not from France but from Germany. I just
>saw Jamie Oliver on air in a German TV show and wondered why the
>moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I would
>have pronounced it like 're-sype'...

Well that's English phonics for you.

modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss

Corbasse 14-10-2003 10:26 AM

pronunciation question

Doris Winter wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
> Thank you very much,
>
> Doris

If you want to hear it firsthand, instead of reading confusing attempts
to write it phonetically (res-eeh-pee, raysa-pea, reh-zee-pear) go to
http://www.cooldictionary.com/?word=...olDict ionary
and click on the pronunciation link.

Michiel van der Linden
Bruges, Belgium

Tim Challenger 14-10-2003 10:40 AM

pronunciation question

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:26:29 GMT, Corbasse wrote:

> Doris Winter wrote:

>> Hey guys,

>> please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
>> Thank you very much,

>> Doris

> If you want to hear it firsthand, instead of reading confusing attempts
> to write it phonetically (res-eeh-pee, raysa-pea, reh-zee-pear) go to
> http://www.cooldictionary.com/?word=...olDict ionary
> and click on the pronunciation link.

If you want to hear "recipe" pronounced by Kermit the frog.

Vilco \(out\) 16-10-2003 11:29 AM

pronunciation question

"Doris Winter" ha scritto

> moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I

would
> have pronounced it like 're-sype'...

Same here in Italy ;O)

Vilco

WardNA 17-10-2003 01:04 AM

pronunciation question

>wondered why the
>moderator kept saying 're-seh-pee', it sounded strange to me, I would
>have pronounced it like 're-sype'.

.. . . and in some rural corners, it is pronounced "receipt" and even spelled
that way. Which, I guess, is a translation of the French gerund the word
derives from.

Neil

Ian Henley 17-10-2003 08:25 AM

pronunciation question

Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:26:29 GMT, Corbasse wrote:
>
> > Doris Winter wrote:

> >> Hey guys,

> >> please can you tell me how to pronounce the word 'recipe'?
> >> Thank you very much,

> >> Doris

> > If you want to hear it firsthand, instead of reading confusing attempts
> > to write it phonetically (res-eeh-pee, raysa-pea, reh-zee-pear) go to
> > http://www.cooldictionary.com/?word=...olDict ionary
> > and click on the pronunciation link.

> If you want to hear "recipe" pronounced by Kermit the frog.

ROTFLMAO!