Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wonderful dosas

I made one of our favorites last night, dosas. For those poor souls who
have not experienced this delightful Indian dish, it consists of a
sourdough rice crepe wrapped around a masala, or filling, made from
potatoes, onions, and lots of spices. The crepes are wonderful and can
be used for lots of things. Start one day ahead.

1-1/2c long grain rice (any kind except basmati, not rinsed)
1/2c split ural dal*
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2-1/2c water

* an Indian lentil or pea. If you cannot get them, use split yellow
peas.

Rinse the urad dal and combine with the other ingredients in a bowl. Let
soak at room temp for at least 4 hours. Use a blender, working it 2
batches if needed, and grind the mixture at high speed for a minute or
two. You want a smooth texture with a little graininess, rubbed between
your fingers it will feel sort of like cream with some sand in it.

Return to the bowl, stir in 1 tsp salt, cover, and let sit at about 90
degrees (f) overnight, up to 24 hours. I achieve this temperature by
turning on the oven light and propping the oven door slightly open.

At the end of the fermentation, the batter should have expanded in size,
be somewhat bubbly, and smell a bit sour. Add some water if needed,
perhaps 1/2c, to get the consistency of thin pancake batter. Stir in 1/2
tsp baking soda just before cooking.

Heat a metal fry pan over medium high heat (you can use 2 pans to speed
the process). Brush with oil (ghee is best) and immediately ladle about
1/3c of batter into the pan. Use the back of the ladle to spread the
batter out into a thin pancake about 6" in diameter. When the bottom is
brown and crisp, about 1 minute, sprinkle a few drops of oil on the top
of the pancake and flip it with a spatula. Cook for another 30 sec or so
and remove. Add whatever filling you are using, fold in half, and keep
warm in a 250 degree oven while cooking the remainder of the dosas.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> I made one of our favorites last night, dosas. For those poor souls who
> have not experienced this delightful Indian dish, it consists of a
> sourdough rice crepe wrapped around a masala, or filling, made from
> potatoes, onions, and lots of spices. The crepes are wonderful and can
> be used for lots of things. Start one day ahead.
>
> 1-1/2c long grain rice (any kind except basmati, not rinsed)
> 1/2c split ural dal*
> 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
> 2-1/2c water

And gluten free too! Thanks so much for posting this. I've been
wanting to learn to make these for awhile now.
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis