Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bush Beans

Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
couldn't get the recipe from the can.

Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mikie" > wrote in message
ps.com
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mikie wrote:
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

Here is the Google page on Baked Beans. Have fun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "Mikie" > wrote in message
> ps.com
>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
>> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
>> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>>
>> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
>> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
>> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>>
>> Thanks!

> You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.
>
> BOB

Hey, Duke isn't talking. Oh, that's another food character! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote
> BOB wrote:
> > "Mikie"wrote

> > > Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> > > were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> > > couldn't get the recipe from the can.
> > >
> > > Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans
> > > that taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if
> > > Ketchup were added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.
> >
> > BOB

> Hey, Duke isn't talking. Oh, that's another food character! :~)
>
> kili

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote

> "Mikie" > wrote

>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
>> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
>> couldn't get the recipe from the can.

> You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.

(laugh!!) That was funny. When pigs fly.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote
>

>>"Mikie" > wrote

>>>Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
>>>were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
>>>couldn't get the recipe from the can.

>>You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.

> (laugh!!) That was funny. When pigs fly.
>
> nancy

Just think pork and beans without the pork. I buy the same sort from
Kroger in their store brand for about half the price of Bush's. Pretty
much the same recipe.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> " BOB" > wrote
>>

>>>"Mikie" > wrote

>>>You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.

>> (laugh!!) That was funny. When pigs fly.
>>
>> nancy

> Just think pork and beans without the pork. I buy the same
> sort from Kroger in their store brand for about half the price
> of Bush's. Pretty much the same recipe.

I'm too lazy and usually eat Bush's Beans too but there are some
quite promising-looking recipes that come up with a Google
search on "vegetarian baked bean". Also, I don't like baked
beans enough to want to try comparison testing but someone else
should do it :-)

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mikie wrote:
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

This is a great recipe for baked beans, posted on this newsgroup by
Kendall Stratton years ago (whatever happened to Kendall?). I can
vouch for how good it is.

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet and Smoky Baked Beans

Recipe By :Kendall Stratton (K3)

2 1/2 cups navy beans
1 small onion -- peeled
1 chunk salt pork, about 1" cube
2 slices bacon -- chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)

Method #1 - Cover dry beans and salt pork with cold water in a saucepan
and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Method #2 - Soak dried beans in cool water overnight. Add salt pork and
bring to a boil the next morning.

Drain the beans and salt pork and add it to the bean pot. Add the
remaining ingredients plus just enough water to cover the beans. Stir
to mix all ingredients. Cover and simmer at 250ºF. for six hours
(Method #2) to 8 (Method #1) hours, stirring and adding water
occasionally to keep beans covered. Remove cover for last 30 minutes
to remove excess water and let the beans darken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey wrote:
> Mikie wrote:
>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
>> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
>> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>>
>> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
>> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
>> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>>
>> Thanks!

> This is a great recipe for baked beans, posted on this newsgroup by
> Kendall Stratton years ago (whatever happened to Kendall?). I can
> vouch for how good it is.
>
> Dora

(Recipe snipped)

This sounds great, Dora. A definite must-try. Thanks for the post.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-= Exported from BigOven =-

My Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Family

-= Ingredients =-
1 lb Pea beans
1/2 lb Bacon
3/4 c Onions ; diced
1 Green pepper
3/4 c Celery ; diced
28 oz Tomato sauce
1 1/2 ts Dry mustard
1 tb Salt
1/4 c Light molasses
1/2 c Brown sugar

-= Instructions =-
Soak beans overnite. Cook soaked beans til tender. Chop vegetables.
Simmer bacon, onion, pepper, and celery but do _not_ brown. Place all
ingredients in a casserole or bean crock and bake at 300 for 2-7 hours
til done. Beans will be tender Exported from Home Cookin 4.7
(http://www.mountain-software.com)

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen
in

"Mikie" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> My Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce
>
> Recipe By:
> Serving Size: 4
> Cuisine:
> Main Ingredient:
> Categories: Family
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 1 lb Pea beans
> 1/2 lb Bacon
> 3/4 c Onions ; diced
> 1 Green pepper
> 3/4 c Celery ; diced
> 28 oz Tomato sauce
> 1 1/2 ts Dry mustard
> 1 tb Salt
> 1/4 c Light molasses
> 1/2 c Brown sugar
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Soak beans overnite. Cook soaked beans til tender. Chop vegetables. Simmer
> bacon, onion, pepper, and celery but do _not_ brown. Place all
> ingredients in a casserole or bean crock and bake at 300 for 2-7 hours
> til done. Beans will be tender Exported from Home Cookin 4.7
> (http://www.mountain-software.com)

This sounds very similar to how I make them, but I'm diabetic so I try to
lessen the carbs a bit while keeping them sweet. I use One Carb ketchup to
replace some of the tomato sauce and Splenda instead of brown sugar. I also
caramelize the onions and add a bit more than this recipe calls for. This
really adds sweetness to the dish. I also do the beans in a crock, cooking
them first on the stove in plain water until tender. They can stay in the
crock for up to 16 hours and they are still not overcooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here is my favorite and by far the best baked beans I've ever eaten.

JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans

8 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1" pieces (Vegetarians just leave the bacon out)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 #10 can backed beans (recommend Bush's)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Your favorite brand)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
2 table sppons Jack's Old South BBQ rub, recipe below

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, Add the bacon and cook, stirring,
until somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a
paper towel-lined plat to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet.

Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until
softened, about 6 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large baking pan.

Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sauce and rub to pan. Mix to
combine and bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all and mix well. Yields about 3/4 cup

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote
> " BOB" > wrote
>
> > "Mikie" > wrote

> > > Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> > > were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> > > couldn't get the recipe from the can.

> > You'll have to get the recipe from Duke.

> (laugh!!) That was funny. When pigs fly.
>
> nancy

I used to have links to a picture of that...

BOB
flying pigs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 11:23 am, Mikie > wrote:
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

I grow three types of dried bean here on my farm. This is the way I
cook them. The three types are a Red Mexican, a Pinto Bean and a white
type Navy Bean. Soak two cups of beans ovenight in cold water. Bing to
a simmer and cook till almost done. Put in a baking dish with some or
all of the following. Salt, dried mustard, molasses, salty pork, brown
sugar, ketchup. Bake until done to perfecton. Add boiling water as
needed. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.

Farmer John
(Never Flatulent)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sounds great Farmer John.

However, me being from California there is
no way I would ever "bake" beans. Get a large
pot, boil, drain, add wherever and slow cook
more. Goal is NO mushys beans and crisp
add-ins - bell peppers, onions, corn, celery,
etc. I would mix the Mexican and
Pinto beans. Forget the Navys.

Just my humble opinion.

Lewis

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 23, 11:23 am, Mikie > wrote:
>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
>> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
>> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>>
>> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
>> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
>> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I grow three types of dried bean here on my farm. This is the way I
> cook them. The three types are a Red Mexican, a Pinto Bean and a white
> type Navy Bean. Soak two cups of beans ovenight in cold water. Bing to
> a simmer and cook till almost done. Put in a baking dish with some or
> all of the following. Salt, dried mustard, molasses, salty pork, brown
> sugar, ketchup. Bake until done to perfecton. Add boiling water as
> needed. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
>
> Farmer John
> (Never Flatulent)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:23 am, Mikie > wrote:
> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans and they
> were really good. But I do not normally eat canned food, and I
> couldn't get the recipe from the can.
>
> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of beans that
> taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato taste, as if Ketchup were
> added. But any good home recipe of beans would do.
>
> Thanks!

Start with Bush baked beans - add a small amount of ketchup, yellow
mustard, sweet pickle relish, a bunch of brown sugar, a couple T. of
Worcestershire sauce, and some finely diced onion. Cook in the oven
or on top the stove low and slow - the longer the better (up to 3-4
hours).

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:38:37 -0700:

N> On Jun 23, 10:23 am, Mikie > wrote:
??>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans
??>> and they were really good. But I do not normally eat
??>> canned food, and I couldn't get the recipe from the can.
??>>
??>> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of
??>> beans that taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato
??>> taste, as if Ketchup were added. But any good home recipe
??>> of beans would do.
??>>
??>> Thanks!

N> Start with Bush baked beans - add a small amount of ketchup,
N> yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, a bunch of brown sugar,
N> a couple T. of Worcestershire sauce, and some finely diced
N> onion. Cook in the oven or on top the stove low and slow -
N> the longer the better (up to 3-4 hours).

IMHO, Bush vegetarian beans can be improved by adding a
teaspoon of mustard powder (Colman's is best) when heating them
up. I think they are more than adequately sweet and I would not
cook them for any length of time since that makes them mushy.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 10:12 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote on Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:38:37 -0700:
>
> N> On Jun 23, 10:23 am, Mikie > wrote:
> ??>> Hi, the other day I bought a can of Bush Vegetarian beans
> ??>> and they were really good. But I do not normally eat
> ??>> canned food, and I couldn't get the recipe from the can.
> ??>>
> ??>> Can someone please help this old bachelor cook up a pot of
> ??>> beans that taste realy good? Bush's has a sweet tomato
> ??>> taste, as if Ketchup were added. But any good home recipe
> ??>> of beans would do.
> ??>>
> ??>> Thanks!
>
> N> Start with Bush baked beans - add a small amount of ketchup,
> N> yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, a bunch of brown sugar,
> N> a couple T. of Worcestershire sauce, and some finely diced
> N> onion. Cook in the oven or on top the stove low and slow -
> N> the longer the better (up to 3-4 hours).
>
> IMHO, Bush vegetarian beans can be improved by adding a
> teaspoon of mustard powder (Colman's is best) when heating them
> up. I think they are more than adequately sweet and I would not
> cook them for any length of time since that makes them mushy.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

That has not been my experience at all. I drain most of the juice out
before I start. If I put them in the oven at a very low temp for 2-3
hours, they are almost exactly like home-made. YMMV, obviously.

N.

The Windsor - Bush Bloodline (Or why George W. Bush is the favourite to become president in the 2000 election) YTR General Cooking 1 05-11-2007 06:44 PM
China bush and Clonal bush Summer Tips Tea 14 14-05-2006 11:55 PM
A bush in my pot Space Cowboy Tea 30 05-02-2005 04:09 PM
Recipe for baked beans made with Bushes canned beans Evelyn Erickson General Cooking 0 23-12-2004 12:00 AM