Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is there such a thing as a passable packaged Hollandaise sauce mix?

On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
backup.

I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
there.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 5:29?pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> backup.
>
> I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

----------------
There is a good hollandaise sauce in a little blue can. it's called
Mrs. (somebody's) hollandaise. It's surprisingly good.Look in the
section with mayonnaise mustard, etc.

good luck on your dinner,

nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in :

> On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> backup.
>
> I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I

was
> testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict

it
> probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Blender Hollandaise Sauce

3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and hot
1/2 tsp minced fresh tarraon; optional

Combine all ingredients except butter in blender jar. Blend a few
seconds on low speed until smooth. Increase blender speed to medium-high
or high, depending on power of blender. Immediately begin pouring butter
in a very slow steady stream. Blend a few seconds after all butter has
been added, until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Use immediately, or
hold over hot water until serving time.

I sometimes add a half teaspoon or so of minced fresh tarragon.

alternate method:
Dump everything in a clean empty peanut butter jar and plunge a stick
blender in, start it up and go up and down several times. also hold over
hot water until serving time. (Takes less time and dirties fewer things.)

The trick is a jar/glass/vessel that fits the stick blender nicely and is
not too wide in circumference. You need tall straight walls like a
drinking glass or jelly jar.

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> In article >, says...
> > On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> > a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> > Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> > cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> > backup.
> >
> > I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> > flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> > which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> > testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> > probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> > there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pete C.
> >

> Hollandaise is so easy and so good when made properly - why substitute
> some weird powdered concoction?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Did you read this part: "I intend to make proper homemade Hollandaise
sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be cooking with
little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a backup." ?

This is going to be a fairly intensive buffet for something like 22
people, prepared in a kitchen on a houseboat I've never seen before,
after a night of excessive drinking. I may have a couple assistants,
however I've never worked with them before and I'm not counting on much
help beyond assembly of the eggs benedict and filling and rolling
crepes.

With the number of items I'll be multitasking and the potential
trickiness of the Hollandaise I want a backup for it.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> backup.
>
> I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

Have you tried the bottled Reese Hollandaise sauce? It can usually be
found close to the mayo and mustard section in the grocery store. They
also make a botled bernaise sauce too. When I used the Reese
Hollandaise sauce, I spoon out the desired amount into a small pyrex
ramekin and use that as a double-boiler in a small pan of simmering
water to heat it up.

I do happen to like the Knorr packet hollandaise mix, but perhaps you
may find the Reese bottled hollandaise to have more flavor. It's worth
a try perhaps.

Sky, who really does like hollandaise and bernaise sauces
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> backup.
>
> I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

Time permitting (it will take a few days to order and arrive) you might try
Minors Hollandaise Sauce Concentrate. I've used it the past and have been
very pleased with their products.

http://www.soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=2346

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 5:45?pm, nancree > wrote:
> On Jun 22, 5:29?pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
>

> > On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> > a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> > Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> > cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> > backup.

> > I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> > flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> > which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> > testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> > probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> > there.

> > Thanks,

> > Pete C.

> ----------------
> There is a good hollandaise sauce in a little blue can. it's called
> Mrs. (somebody's) hollandaise. It's surprisingly good.Look in the
> section with mayonnaise mustard, etc.
>
> good luck on your dinner,
>
> nancree-

Believe Nancree's thinking of Aunt Penny's Hollandaise. Comes in a
little can & is not half bad with the addition of a bit of fresh lemon
juice & a teensy bit of cayenne. Way better than the Knorr's - which
is truly hideous. Used to take Aunt Penny's on camping trips. Down
side is that you're gonna need 10+ cans if you're serving 20. Very
stable stuff - no chance of the sauce breaking like the real deal
which can be an issue when you're trying to feed a crowd.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> alternate method:
> Dump everything in a clean empty peanut butter jar and plunge a stick
> blender in, start it up and go up and down several times. also hold over
> hot water until serving time. (Takes less time and dirties fewer things.)
>
> The trick is a jar/glass/vessel that fits the stick blender nicely and is
> not too wide in circumference. You need tall straight walls like a
> drinking glass or jelly jar.

Have you made it using the stick blender? How is it?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. > wrote:

> On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> backup.

Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic baggies
and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open. I do not know if the
brand is marketed in the USA.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:

>Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
>available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
>certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic baggies
>and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
>supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
>minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open.

Would that result in a high concentration of pthalates?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:29:07 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
>a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
>Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
>cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
>backup.
>
>I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
>flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
>which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
>testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
>probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
>there.

Think out of the box (package). Aunt Penny's *canned* is perfectly
fine. That's what I use when I make eggs benedict. Breakfast is not
a meal I want to fuss over.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:19:01 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> alternate method:
>> Dump everything in a clean empty peanut butter jar and plunge a stick
>> blender in, start it up and go up and down several times. also hold over
>> hot water until serving time. (Takes less time and dirties fewer things.)
>>
>> The trick is a jar/glass/vessel that fits the stick blender nicely and is
>> not too wide in circumference. You need tall straight walls like a
>> drinking glass or jelly jar.

>Have you made it using the stick blender? How is it?

It's probably great.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> alternate method:
>> Dump everything in a clean empty peanut butter jar and plunge a stick
>> blender in, start it up and go up and down several times. also hold
>> over hot water until serving time. (Takes less time and dirties fewer
>> things.)
>>
>> The trick is a jar/glass/vessel that fits the stick blender nicely
>> and is not too wide in circumference. You need tall straight walls
>> like a drinking glass or jelly jar.

> Have you made it using the stick blender? How is it?

Yes I've made it with the stick blender, it's as good as made in the
blender. Like when making mayo the container you make it in should have
straight tall walls and be a comfortable fit for the stick blender

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 7:17 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>
> > In article >, says...
> > > On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> > > a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> > > Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> > > cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> > > backup.

> > > I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> > > flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> > > which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> > > testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> > > probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> > > there.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Pete C.

> > Hollandaise is so easy and so good when made properly - why substitute
> > some weird powdered concoction?

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> Did you read this part: "I intend to make proper homemade Hollandaise
> sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be cooking with
> little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a backup." ?

It's not that tricky. Better off with Hollandaise that is not the
perfect texture than stuff that tastes like crap. I'd let the eggs
come to room temp overnight.
Squeeze the lemon juice fresh. Don't put a bunch of extra flavors in
it in an attempt to be creative.

> This is going to be a fairly intensive buffet for something like 22
> people, prepared in a kitchen on a houseboat I've never seen before,
> after a night of excessive drinking. I may have a couple assistants,
> however I've never worked with them before and I'm not counting on much
> help beyond assembly of the eggs benedict and filling and rolling
> crepes.
>
> With the number of items I'll be multitasking and the potential
> trickiness of the Hollandaise I want a backup for it.

Then you are SOL. There is no "backup." You wouldn't use Chef
Boyardee canned spaghetti as a "backup," would you?

> Pete C.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(no spam)" wrote:

> > On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> > a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> > Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> > cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> > backup.
> >
> > I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> > flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> > which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> > testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> > probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> > there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pete C.

> Time permitting (it will take a few days to order and arrive) you might try
> Minors Hollandaise Sauce Concentrate. I've used it the past and have been
> very pleased with their products.
>
> http://www.soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=2346

That one looks promising, at least the ingredient list seems to actually
include Hollandaise ingredients unlike some of the others.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> (no spam)" wrote:
> >
> > > On an upcoming outing I'll be cooking a breakfast buffet of sorts, with
> > > a menu that includes eggs benedict. I intend to make proper homemade
> > > Hollandaise sauce, but since it can be a bit tricky and I expect to be
> > > cooking with little sleep after a night of excessive drinking I want a
> > > backup.
> > >
> > > I tested the Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix and while it looks ok, the
> > > flavor just didn't seem to cut it. I tried adding a little lemon juice
> > > which helped a bit, but I still wasn't real happy with it. Granted I was
> > > testing it solo and when assembled with the rest of the eggs benedict it
> > > probably would be better, but I'm hoping there is a better mix out
> > > there.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Pete C.

> > Time permitting (it will take a few days to order and arrive) you might try
> > Minors Hollandaise Sauce Concentrate. I've used it the past and have been
> > very pleased with their products.
> >
> > http://www.soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=2346

> That one looks promising, at least the ingredient list seems to actually
> include Hollandaise ingredients unlike some of the others.
>
> Pete C.

Alrighty, I ordered the Hollandaise concentrate and a few other items.
I'd need it to arrive by EOD Thursday, we'll see if it arrives in
time...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:48:58 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>Yes I've made it with the stick blender, it's as good as made in the
>blender. Like when making mayo the container you make it in should have
>straight tall walls and be a comfortable fit for the stick blender

I've made mayo exactly once that way (it's a fantastic trick).... I
have to hunt and hunt for a container that fits the bill. I don't
even have a drinking glass the right shape and size.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> > Have you made it using the stick blender? How is it?

> Yes I've made it with the stick blender, it's as good as made in the
> blender. Like when making mayo the container you make it in should have
> straight tall walls and be a comfortable fit for the stick blender

Thanks. Sounds good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:

> Victor Sack > wrote:
>
> >Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
> >available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
> >certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic baggies
> >and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
> >supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
> >minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open.

> Would that result in a high concentration of pthalates?

What makes you think there are phthalates rather than some other
plasticisers in the baggies? The reason for their use in food packaging
is to make the material more clingy. The plastic in the baggies is not
supposed to be in any way clingy, however, and, in fact, it isn't, or
else it would be difficult to extract the sauce. The plastic used is
stiff and very slippery, so that the sauce flows out, leaving almost no
residue in the bag - the very opposite of clinginess.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> > Time permitting (it will take a few days to order and arrive) you might
>> > try
>> > Minors Hollandaise Sauce Concentrate. I've used it the past and have
>> > been
>> > very pleased with their products.
>> >
>> > http://www.soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=2346

>> That one looks promising, at least the ingredient list seems to actually
>> include Hollandaise ingredients unlike some of the others.
>>
>> Pete C.

> Alrighty, I ordered the Hollandaise concentrate and a few other items.
> I'd need it to arrive by EOD Thursday, we'll see if it arrives in
> time...
>
> Pete C.

Pete,

Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
phone tree.

I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
days from their location in Ohio.

I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've been in similar position (quantity Eggs Benedict under pressure), in
fact I was pressed into service unexpectedly for the sauce, which worked
fine because I knew this method. Someone else cooked the eggs for assembly.
Here are tips on both. (If possible, avoid commercial Hollandaises, they
have no soul.)

Practice these methods in advance and they will be reliable.

Make the Hollandaise in a blender, not too much at once. Have ingredients
and blender at room temp. (important!), the butter hot and melted. Blend
the egg yolks, lemon juice, and any other seasonings (few grains cayenne
doesn't hurt) at a moderate spin, then add the butter slowly, and continue
blending a few seconds until smooth. The hot butter partly cooks the yolks
(unless they happen to be cold).

For the "poached" eggs in the Benedict, _bake_ them in a nonstick (or
buttered) muffin tin. This makes them in quantity, they come out uniform,
not wet, and similar to poached.

Good luck! -- Max

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
> > available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
> > certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic
> > baggies and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
> > supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
> > minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open. I do not know if the
> > brand is marketed in the USA.

> But the Hollandaise Spectator only gave it
> 88 points on their 100-point scale. Why would
> anybody eat a Hollandaise that only scored 88
> points?

But... but...! The Hollandaise Advocate gave it 92 points! True
hollandaise connoisseurs ignore the wannabe H. Spectator and follow only
H. Advocate!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(no spam)" wrote:

> >> That one looks promising, at least the ingredient list seems to actually
> >> include Hollandaise ingredients unlike some of the others.
> >>
> >> Pete C.

> > Alrighty, I ordered the Hollandaise concentrate and a few other items.
> > I'd need it to arrive by EOD Thursday, we'll see if it arrives in
> > time...
> >
> > Pete C.

> Pete,
>
> Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
> Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
> phone tree.
>
> I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
> days from their location in Ohio.
>
> I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I'm north of Dallas so presumably my shipping time should be decent as
well. Looks like they have some decent stuff.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> > Alrighty, I ordered the Hollandaise concentrate and a few other items.
>> > I'd need it to arrive by EOD Thursday, we'll see if it arrives in
>> > time...
>> >
>> > Pete C.

<snippage>

>> Pete,
>>
>> Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
>> Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
>> phone tree.
>>
>> I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
>> days from their location in Ohio.
>>
>> I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.
>>
>> Chris in Pearland, TX

> I'm north of Dallas so presumably my shipping time should be decent as
> well. Looks like they have some decent stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

Shipping time then should be faster than Houston. If you don't use it all
(or not at all) and want to try it later, I already did the math for cutting
the container directions down to one cup.

Hollandaise (for 1 cup sauce)

1/3 cup + 1 tsp. Hollandaise concentrate sauce mix

Stir into 1 Cup of Boiling Water

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 5:16 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:

> > > Alrighty, I ordered the Hollandaise concentrate and a few other items.
> > > I'd need it to arrive by EOD Thursday, we'll see if it arrives in
> > > time...

> > > Pete C.

> > Pete,

> > Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
> > Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
> > phone tree.

> > I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
> > days from their location in Ohio.

> > I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.

> > Chris in Pearland, TX

> I'm north of Dallas so presumably my shipping time should be decent as
> well. Looks like they have some decent stuff.

Just north of the mall on Spring Valley, there is a Mexican mercado
where I got some of the most excellent platas. In the strip mall just
north of the mall by I-75.
This was about 3 years ago. A platter with meat, double beans instead
of rice, lots of chile, and I'd buy an avocado from the store to take
back to the motel to slice up and add to the mix.

> Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 7:11 pm, BOBOBOnoBO® > wrote:

> > > Pete,

> > > Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
> > > Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
> > > phone tree.

> > > I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
> > > days from their location in Ohio.

> > > I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.

> > > Chris in Pearland, TX

> > I'm north of Dallas so presumably my shipping time should be decent as
> > well. Looks like they have some decent stuff.

> Just north of the mall on Spring Valley, there is a Mexican mercado
> where I got some of the most excellent platas. In the strip mall just
> north of the mall by I-75.
> This was about 3 years ago. A platter with meat, double beans instead
> of rice, lots of chile, and I'd buy an avocado from the store to take
> back to the motel to slice up and add to the mix.

WEST of the mall, not north.

> > Thanks,

> > Pete C.

> --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
> available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
> certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic
> baggies and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
> supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
> minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open. I do not know if the
> brand is marketed in the USA.

But the Hollandaise Spectator only gave it
88 points on their 100-point scale. Why would
anybody eat a Hollandaise that only scored 88
points?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>> Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
>> available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
>> certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic
>> baggies and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
>> supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
>> minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open. I do not know if the
>> brand is marketed in the USA.

> But the Hollandaise Spectator only gave it
> 88 points on their 100-point scale. Why would
> anybody eat a Hollandaise that only scored 88
> points?

At a morning camp hangover breakfast, hagendaaz would taste fine over eggs.
Hollandaise is just about as tasteful as mayonnaise when the tastebuds
don't care that time of the morning.

YMMV,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>> Here in Germany, Steinhaus brand of ready-made Hollandaise is widely
>> available and is more than just passable for what it is. It is
>> certainly vastly better than any mix. It is packaged in plastic
>> baggies and found in refrigerated (not freezer) open display cases in
>> supermarkets here. It just needs to be heated in hot water for a few
>> minutes in its baggie, which is then cut open. I do not know if the
>> brand is marketed in the USA.

> But the Hollandaise Spectator only gave it
> 88 points on their 100-point scale. Why would
> anybody eat a Hollandaise that only scored 88
> points?

Who's to say that *my* hollandaise wouldn't even score as high as an 88?
(Even though I've never had a problem with my hollandaise. Tastes fine to
me!) :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(no spam)" wrote:

> <snippage>
> >>
> >> Pete,
> >>
> >> Hopefully it should arrive in time. You can call the Soupbase people on
> >> Monday morning and miraculously you will get a human being instead of a
> >> phone tree.
> >>
> >> I order from the Houston, TX area and my orders arrive within a couple of
> >> days from their location in Ohio.
> >>
> >> I love their Minors beef base for a "quick and dirty" French onion soup.
> >>
> >> Chris in Pearland, TX

> > I'm north of Dallas so presumably my shipping time should be decent as
> > well. Looks like they have some decent stuff.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pete C.

> Shipping time then should be faster than Houston. If you don't use it all
> (or not at all) and want to try it later, I already did the math for cutting
> the container directions down to one cup.
>
> Hollandaise (for 1 cup sauce)
>
> 1/3 cup + 1 tsp. Hollandaise concentrate sauce mix
>
> Stir into 1 Cup of Boiling Water

The order arrived on Thursday, in time for the trip. Sunday AM with
everything going on and dodging people coming into the kitchen area to
get coffee I decided to just use the concentrate and not bother making
fresh. I made half the container and the results were very good, vastly
superior to the mixes I had tested. Several people commented that the
Hollandaise was very good. Works for me.

Thanks,

Pete C.