General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,852
Default Blueberries ...

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
with fresh blueberries today ...)

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


There has been LOTS of rain!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,457
Default Blueberries ...

Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
with fresh blueberries today ...)

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,762
Default Blueberries ...


"cybercat" wrote

Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?


Someone else said the same thing, I think in my thread about the
Great White nectarines. I have noticed that fruit has been especially
good this spring, I don't know why.

nancy


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,965
Default Blueberries ...

Omelet wrote:
In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up
yesterday are the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just
plain is delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese.
(Light peach yogurt with fresh blueberries today ...)

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


There has been LOTS of rain!


No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer, although
Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums, pluots,
cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are. :~)

kili


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 232
Default Blueberries ...

On Jun 22, 3:59 pm, "kilikini" wrote:
Omelet wrote:
In article , "cybercat"
wrote:


Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up
yesterday are the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.


Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?


With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just
plain is delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese.
(Light peach yogurt with fresh blueberries today ...)


I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


There has been LOTS of rain!


No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer, although
Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums, pluots,
cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are. :~)


My experience with pluots is that they are nearly always yummier than
plums, and always better than apricots.

kili


--Bryan



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-06-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,965
Default Blueberries ...

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
On Jun 22, 3:59 pm, "kilikini" wrote:
Omelet wrote:
In article , "cybercat"
wrote:


Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up
yesterday are the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.


Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?


With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just
plain is delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese.
(Light peach yogurt with fresh blueberries today ...)


I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


There has been LOTS of rain!


No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer,
although Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some
plums, pluots, cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the
peaches are. :~)


My experience with pluots is that they are nearly always yummier than
plums, and always better than apricots.

kili


--Bryan


These pluots have a great smell and they're ripe. I'm going to have juice
dripping down my hand. LOL.

kili


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-06-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,730
Default Blueberries ...

cybercat wrote:
Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?


The strawberries started out good and stayed good. Usually
they start shipping them sour after the first few weeks.
But I haven't had a bad basket yet.

The saturn (donut) peaches are out, too, and they're
even better than usual (they kick regular peaches off the
list), and far cheaper at about a dollar a pound.

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
with fresh blueberries today ...)


yurmmmm

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


S'okay. They're making up for it by doubling the price of meat again.

--Blair
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-06-2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,880
Default Blueberries ...

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:30:36 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
with fresh blueberries today ...)

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


You can't? I think I could.


--
See return address to reply by email


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-06-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7
Default Blueberries ...

On Jun 22, 4:30 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
with fresh blueberries today ...)

I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!


Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
blueberry plants. I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon
if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.

Farmer John

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-06-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,457
Default Blueberries ...


wrote
Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
blueberry plants.


oh noooo, how awful.

I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon
if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.


Where are you, Farmer John?


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7
Default Blueberries ...

On Jun 25, 11:56 am, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote

Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
blueberry plants.


oh noooo, how awful.

I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon

if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.


Where are you, Farmer John?


About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,457
Default Blueberries ...


wrote
Where are you, Farmer John?


About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.


How lovely. I tried once to grow blueberries here in North Carolina,
but failed. Some say it is too hot. (I am in the piedmont area.)


  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-06-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,316
Default Blueberries ...

On Jun 26, 10:56?am, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote

Where are you, Farmer John?


About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.


How lovely. I tried once to grow blueberries here in North Carolina,
but failed. Some say it is too hot. (I am in the piedmont area.)


Blueberries grow in warm climes too, just need to choose the proper
type. You probably should try the low bush type, high bush
blueberries do better in cooler zones. I put in 12 high bush
blueberry plants last spring, three each of different bearing times,
all are doing very well, even with all the excessive rain in upstate
NY.

Strawberries were netted a couple days ago (crows are going nutz),
blueberries will get netted when it cools off a bit this afternoon.
http://i13.tinypic.com/52xouap.jpg

Doing pretty good for newly planted bushes... I better hurry and net
them before they get any riper, the crows have been eyeballing them.
http://i15.tinypic.com/4zbytqb.jpg

I decided the easiest way to net my berries is to make something
permanent and that I can walk into like a netted room... just laying
the netting directly on the plants like most folks do doesn't make
much sense to me. Steel fence posts are cheap, just drive in a six
footer in each corner, screw a small eyebolt into the top hole and
run
clothesline all arond. Then it was no big deal to drape the netting
and hold it in place with a few twist ties. Leevalley.com has the
very best netting available (actually nylon fishing netting in 12'
widths and wider, up to 120' lenths, knotted so it can be cut without
unraveling), everywhere else sells that stupid plastic stuff in very
narrow rolls.

I'm keeping my garden uncrowded this year, otherwise I grow much more
than I can possibly use.

Sheldon



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blueberries George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 11 04-06-2014 01:47 AM
Blueberries! Gary General Cooking 7 14-07-2013 03:03 PM
Blueberries? Benji Z-Man General Cooking 13 03-05-2010 03:43 PM
Blueberries kalanamak General Cooking 17 05-08-2005 02:33 AM
Ah, blueberries ntantiques General Cooking 22 28-07-2005 06:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017