FoodBanter.com

-   -   Blueberries ... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/126964-blueberries.html)

Omelet 22-06-2007 09:30 PM

Blueberries ...

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
> the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>
> Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?
>
> With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
> delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
> with fresh blueberries today ...)
>
> I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

There has been LOTS of rain!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Nancy Young 22-06-2007 09:41 PM

Blueberries ...

"cybercat" > wrote

> Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
> the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>
> Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

Someone else said the same thing, I think in my thread about the
Great White nectarines. I have noticed that fruit has been especially
good this spring, I don't know why.

nancy

kilikini 22-06-2007 10:59 PM

Blueberries ...

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up
>> yesterday are the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>>
>> Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?
>>
>> With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just
>> plain is delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese.
>> (Light peach yogurt with fresh blueberries today ...)
>>
>> I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

> There has been LOTS of rain!

No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer, although
Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums, pluots,
cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are. :~)

kili

BOBOBOnoBO® 22-06-2007 11:07 PM

Blueberries ...

On Jun 22, 3:59 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >, "cybercat" >
> > wrote:

> >> Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up
> >> yesterday are the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.

> >> Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

> >> With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just
> >> plain is delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese.
> >> (Light peach yogurt with fresh blueberries today ...)

> >> I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

> > There has been LOTS of rain!

> No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer, although
> Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums, pluots,
> cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are. :~)

My experience with pluots is that they are nearly always yummier than
plums, and always better than apricots.

> kili

--Bryan

kilikini 22-06-2007 11:19 PM

Blueberries ...

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> On Jun 22, 3:59 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> In article >, "cybercat"

>>> There has been LOTS of rain!

>> No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer,
>> although Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some
>> plums, pluots, cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the
>> peaches are. :~)

> My experience with pluots is that they are nearly always yummier than
> plums, and always better than apricots.
>>
>> kili

> --Bryan

These pluots have a great smell and they're ripe. I'm going to have juice
dripping down my hand. LOL.

kili

Blair P. Houghton 23-06-2007 01:28 AM

Blueberries ...

cybercat > wrote:
>Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
>the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>
>Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?

The strawberries started out good and stayed good. Usually
they start shipping them sour after the first few weeks.
But I haven't had a bad basket yet.

The saturn (donut) peaches are out, too, and they're
even better than usual (they kick regular peaches off the
list), and far cheaper at about a dollar a pound.

>With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
>delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
>with fresh blueberries today ...)

yurmmmm

>I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

S'okay. They're making up for it by doubling the price of meat again.

--Blair

J S 23-06-2007 02:18 AM

Blueberries ...

Blueberries ...

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 22, 2007, 5:59pm From:
(kilikini)
"No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer,
although Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums,
pluots, cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are.
:~)"
kili

The rain came down in sheets this morning about 11 am in St
Pete,supposed to be that way all week.Perhaps it didnt reach you up
there.Was motivated to go to my local fruit stand and buy peaches after
reading the posts...they were very nice,got a bagfull plus some
eggplant.Tried to email you but it came back,will try again
Cheers,Smitty

"Food and Films,What else is do you need?...Well.."

kilikini 23-06-2007 02:36 AM

Blueberries ...

J S wrote:
> Blueberries ...
>
> Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 22, 2007, 5:59pm From:
> (kilikini)
> "No rain in Florida or Georgia. I'm afraid the peaches will suffer,
> although Allan picked up about 6 peaches today, along with some plums,
> pluots, cantaloupe and apples. I'll let you know how the peaches are.
> :~)"
> kili
>

> The rain came down in sheets this morning about 11 am in St
> Pete,supposed to be that way all week.Perhaps it didnt reach you up
> there.Was motivated to go to my local fruit stand and buy peaches
> after reading the posts...they were very nice,got a bagfull plus some
> eggplant.Tried to email you but it came back,will try again
> Cheers,Smitty
>
> "Food and Films,What else is do you need?...Well.."

Yeah, we didn't get a drop. We haven't had rain in about 3 or 4 days now
and on Bay News 9, they're talking possibly not until the end of next week.
Our park's lakes are completely dry and the ducks are leaving to go find
water and food. And this is supposed to be a nasty hurricane season?????
We're in a major drought here.

kili

sf[_3_] 23-06-2007 06:21 AM

Blueberries ...

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:30:36 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
>the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>
>Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?
>
>With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
>delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
>with fresh blueberries today ...)
>
>I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

You can't? I think I could.
;)

--
See return address to reply by email

[email protected] 25-06-2007 04:36 PM

Blueberries ...

On Jun 22, 4:30 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Just like the peaches I bought, the blueberries I picked up yesterday are
> the plumpest and sweetest I've had in seasons.
>
> Anyone else notice this about fruit this summer?
>
> With this kind of fruit, I don't want a lot of preparation--just plain is
> delicious and with a little yogurt or cottage cheese. (Light peach yogurt
> with fresh blueberries today ...)
>
> I can't get used to things that are good for me tasting this good!

Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
blueberry plants. I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon
if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.

Farmer John

cybercat 25-06-2007 04:56 PM

Blueberries ...

> wrote
> Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
> blueberry plants.

oh noooo, how awful.

I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon
> if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
> berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
> cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
> cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.

Where are you, Farmer John?

[email protected] 26-06-2007 03:34 PM

Blueberries ...

On Jun 25, 11:56 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > Two winters ago the rats chewed all the fruiting wood off my
> > blueberry plants.

> oh noooo, how awful.
>
> I will harvest one hanfull of ripe blueberries soon
>
> > if the Robins and Cedar Waxwings stay away. If I had a good crop of
> > berries, I would make a huge blueberry pie and smother it with whipped
> > cream. There would be fresh berries floating on top of the whipped
> > cream. I would also make some pots of blueberry jam for next winter.

> Where are you, Farmer John?

About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.

cybercat 26-06-2007 03:56 PM

Blueberries ...

> wrote
>> Where are you, Farmer John?

> About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
> Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.

How lovely. I tried once to grow blueberries here in North Carolina,
but failed. Some say it is too hot. (I am in the piedmont area.)

Sheldon 26-06-2007 05:18 PM

Blueberries ...

On Jun 26, 10:56?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> >> Where are you, Farmer John?

> > About 15 Km north west of the village of Barry's Bay in Eastern
> > Ontario on a farm surrounded by boreal forest.

> How lovely. I tried once to grow blueberries here in North Carolina,
> but failed. Some say it is too hot. (I am in the piedmont area.)

Blueberries grow in warm climes too, just need to choose the proper
type. You probably should try the low bush type, high bush
blueberries do better in cooler zones. I put in 12 high bush
blueberry plants last spring, three each of different bearing times,
all are doing very well, even with all the excessive rain in upstate
NY.

Strawberries were netted a couple days ago (crows are going nutz),
blueberries will get netted when it cools off a bit this afternoon.
http://i13.tinypic.com/52xouap.jpg

Doing pretty good for newly planted bushes... I better hurry and net
them before they get any riper, the crows have been eyeballing them.
http://i15.tinypic.com/4zbytqb.jpg

I decided the easiest way to net my berries is to make something
permanent and that I can walk into like a netted room... just laying
the netting directly on the plants like most folks do doesn't make
much sense to me. Steel fence posts are cheap, just drive in a six
footer in each corner, screw a small eyebolt into the top hole and
run
clothesline all arond. Then it was no big deal to drape the netting
and hold it in place with a few twist ties. Leevalley.com has the
very best netting available (actually nylon fishing netting in 12'
widths and wider, up to 120' lenths, knotted so it can be cut without
unraveling), everywhere else sells that stupid plastic stuff in very
narrow rolls.

I'm keeping my garden uncrowded this year, otherwise I grow much more
than I can possibly use.

Sheldon