Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brisket .... how to?

OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
not something I do readily.

Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The "Aunt
Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I found it
through a google groups search.

However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine a
few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
can y'all suggest? TIA.

Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's
> definitely not something I do readily.
>
> Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The
> "Aunt Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I
> found it through a google groups search.
>
> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine
> a few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket
> outside on the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of
> recommendations can y'all suggest? TIA.
>
> Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

It's a tough cut of meat so it likes to be cooked low and slow. If you like
to Q, I would suggest cooking it that way because it imparts a nice smokey
flavor; that's how we do ours. Keep in mind that on a BBQ pit, it can take
anywhere between 8 - 17 hours to cook a brisket at about 250 degrees. A
brisket is done when it passes the fork test; you stick the fork in and it
turns easily. When it's done, wrap it in foil and let it sit a bit before
carving. Make sure to carve across the grain.

For seasoning when we do brisket, we just add salt, pepper and garlic
powder. We start our fire with lump and we usually add hickory, oak or
cherry wood to the fire, depending upon what we have on hand. Lately it's
been oak because we lost a few limbs on our tree. :~)

Brisket is best eaten the day it's cooked, IMO. In any case, let us know
your plans and tell us how it turned out!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> Keep in mind that on a BBQ pit, it can take
> anywhere between 8 - 17 hours

8-17 hours??????

I'd just assume eat it raw.

Sheesh.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-06-20, Andy <g> wrote:
>
>> 8-17 hours??????

>> Sheesh.

> It's not like you gotta hold its hand.

Or kiss it good morning

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-20, Andy <g> wrote:

> 8-17 hours??????

> Sheesh.

It's not like you gotta hold its hand.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
> > OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> > price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> > thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's
> > definitely not something I do readily.
> >
> > Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> > recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The
> > "Aunt Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I
> > found it through a google groups search.
> >
> > However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine
> > a few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket
> > outside on the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of
> > recommendations can y'all suggest? TIA.
> >
> > Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

> It's a tough cut of meat so it likes to be cooked low and slow. If you like
> to Q, I would suggest cooking it that way because it imparts a nice smokey
> flavor; that's how we do ours. Keep in mind that on a BBQ pit, it can take
> anywhere between 8 - 17 hours to cook a brisket at about 250 degrees. A
> brisket is done when it passes the fork test; you stick the fork in and it
> turns easily. When it's done, wrap it in foil and let it sit a bit before
> carving. Make sure to carve across the grain.
>
> For seasoning when we do brisket, we just add salt, pepper and garlic
> powder. We start our fire with lump and we usually add hickory, oak or
> cherry wood to the fire, depending upon what we have on hand. Lately it's
> been oak because we lost a few limbs on our tree. :~)
>
> Brisket is best eaten the day it's cooked, IMO. In any case, let us know
> your plans and tell us how it turned out!
>
> kili

Thanks, Kili. I figured it'd have to be a low-n-slow sort of thing. I
wonder if my grill (charcoal) is up to it? Well, I'm sure it is, but am
I <g>? I'll have to give it a go 'fore too long.

Sky, who's rather curious about cooking brisket right now
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks said...

> Sky, who's rather curious about cooking brisket right now

I'm kinda/sorta intimidated too. I've sat at my brother's Q from 8am til 6pm
tending briskets. Watching the temp gauge, twitching the chimney open/closed,
adjusting the air intake for the wood burning section, etc.

If it weren't for the breakfast beers and all, I'd have driven to McD's. Of
course, it turned out delicious.

I've never made one myself, what, when a burger is only minutes away!??

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's
> definitely not something I do readily.
>
> Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The
> "Aunt Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I
> found it through a google groups search.
>
> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine
> a few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket
> outside on the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of
> recommendations can y'all suggest? TIA.
>
> Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Scroll down to the section on beef brisket.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine
> a few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket
> outside on the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of
> recommendations can y'all suggest? TIA.

I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of the
most difficult. Pork shoulder or ribs are easier and more forgiving. I
always suggest beginners learn how to 'Q on something else. Temperature
control of the pit and controlling wood smoke are more persnickety for
brisket.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use brisket to make Montreal smoked meat.

Long and slow is the secret and then after cooking wrap in foil
and then wrap in an old towel for 2 hours. The brisket will
continue cooking and become tender, this is an important step.

To make Pastrami or Montreal smoked meat it is better to perform
a cure on the meat first.

Use a meat thermometr to get the correct cooked temperature,
usually about 200 deg F.

Take a look at this link and also browse the forum, there is a
ton of info on brisket

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5180.0

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing?

There's no such brisket cut as "small". Which cut, and how small...
like wtf does it actually weigh? If what you have is the typical
small (2-4lb), lean, flat cut typically sold at stupidmarkets that
does not grill very well, especially if you're not experienced with
long and slow grilling or bbq, you'll probably be eating shoe
leather... that cut is best braised... I think braised brisket is
better than Qd regrdless.

Here... pick n' choose:
http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/briindex.htm

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> On 20-Jun-2007, Skyhooks > wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Kili. I figured it'd have to be a low-n-slow sort of thing. I
>> wonder if my grill (charcoal) is up to it? Well, I'm sure it is, but am
>> I <g>? I'll have to give it a go 'fore too long.

> Another option is to put it on the grill a couple of hours to get a nice
> smokey flavor into the meat. Then, move it to a low oven for the long, low
> finish -which could be done overnight for later use or timed to be hot from
> the oven when you want to serve it.

Recently there was a post about brisket via crockpot. I'd go that route!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 20-Jun-2007, Skyhooks > wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Kili. I figured it'd have to be a low-n-slow sort of thing.
>> I wonder if my grill (charcoal) is up to it? Well, I'm sure it is,
>> but am I <g>? I'll have to give it a go 'fore too long.

> Another option is to put it on the grill a couple of hours to get a
> nice smokey flavor into the meat. Then, move it to a low oven for
> the long, low finish -which could be done overnight for later use or
> timed to be hot from the oven when you want to serve it.

Yep, you could do that too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil Evans wrote:
> I use brisket to make Montreal smoked meat.
>
> Long and slow is the secret and then after cooking wrap in foil
> and then wrap in an old towel for 2 hours. The brisket will
> continue cooking and become tender, this is an important step.

Wrapping is not necessary and I only recommend it if the brisket got done
earlier than the planned eating time.

> Use a meat thermometr to get the correct cooked temperature,
> usually about 200 deg F.

200F will work, but it can also produce a dry, over-done brisket. I used to
think 195F worked well, but now I prefer 185F as the best combination of
moist and tender brisket.

For those interested, that's a brisket I'm slicing on my website.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 20-Jun-2007, Skyhooks > wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Kili. I figured it'd have to be a low-n-slow sort of thing.
>> I wonder if my grill (charcoal) is up to it? Well, I'm sure it is,
>> but am I <g>? I'll have to give it a go 'fore too long.

> Another option is to put it on the grill a couple of hours to get a
> nice smokey flavor into the meat. Then, move it to a low oven for
> the long, low finish -which could be done overnight for later use or
> timed to be hot from the oven when you want to serve it.

Nothing wrong with oven-roasted brisket. But a couple of hours on the grill
won't give the same flavor as full-fledged 'Q :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks > wrote:

> My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> can y'all suggest? TIA.

Here is a link to step-by-step instructions. I first posted it about
seven years ago:
<http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99brisket.htm>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Skyhooks > wrote:
>
>> My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
>> the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
>> can y'all suggest? TIA.

> Here is a link to step-by-step instructions. I first posted it about
> seven years ago:
> <http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99brisket.htm>.

Good stuff, Victor!!

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
> > Skyhooks wrote:

> >> My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> >> the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> >> can y'all suggest? TIA.

> > Here is a link to step-by-step instructions. I first posted it about
> > seven years ago:
> > <http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99brisket.htm>.

> Good stuff, Victor!!

I seriously doubt she has the large fatty packer cut used for
BBQing... seems more like yoose two are stroking each others egos
rather than accomodating the OP.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
> not something I do readily.
>
> Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The "Aunt
> Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I found it
> through a google groups search.
>
> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine a
> few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> can y'all suggest? TIA.
>
> Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

Spice Mix
2 teaspoons peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon celery seeds
2 allspice berries
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

Smoked Meat
3 lbs beef brisket, with fat on
1 cup red wine
3 slices double smoked bacon
2 cups wood chips, such as apple,cherry or
maple,soaked in water for 5 minutes

3 hours 50 minutes 20 mins prep

1. Spice Mix: Over medium heat, toast
the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds,
fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries,
celery seeds in a small sauté pan or cast iron
frying pan until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Grind spices coarsely in a mortar and pestle
or spice grinder; combine with the remaining
ingredients.
3. Smoked Meat: Rub ½ of the spice
mixture all over the brisket; let brisket sit for
1 hour or overnight so flavour permeates the meat.
4. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F; fit the rack
of a roasting pan into a roasting pan, add wine to
the roasting pan& put the brisket on the rack.
5. Cover the brisket with the slices of bacon,
cover with foil& slow cook for 3 hours or until
meat is tender.
6. Remove from oven& add remaining spice
mixture; smoke brisket with the wood chips in a
smoker over low flame according to manufacturer’s
instructions, about 20 to 30 minutes.
7. OR use your barbecue to smoke the meat-
wrap the wood chips loosely with foil paper, poke
holes in the foil, add wood chips to the barbecue
on medium high heat; when the chips start to smoke,
turn the grill to low heat& put the meat on the
upper part of grill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 8:58?pm, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
> Skyhooks wrote:
> > OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> > price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> > thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
> > not something I do readily.

> > Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> > recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The "Aunt
> > Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I found it
> > through a google groups search.

> > However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine a
> > few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> > the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> > can y'all suggest? TIA.

> > Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

> Spice Mix
> 2 teaspoons peppercorns
> 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
> 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
> 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
> 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
> 1 teaspoon mustard powder
> 1 tablespoon celery seeds
> 2 allspice berries
> 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
>
> Smoked Meat
> 3 lbs beef brisket, with fat on
> 1 cup red wine
> 3 slices double smoked bacon
> 2 cups wood chips, such as apple,cherry or
> maple,soaked in water for 5 minutes

Are you certain you didn't forget anything?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 11:51 am, Skyhooks > wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
> not something I do readily.
>
> Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The "Aunt
> Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I found it
> through a google groups search.
>
> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine a
> few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> can y'all suggest? TIA.
>
> Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's book _Charcuterie_ has a fine
recipe for pastrami. Here's a copy I made of their recipe that I
posted here previously (After I'd made pastrami):

Brine:

1 gallon of water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
8 teaspoons pink salt (sodium nitrite I believe, check with your local
butchter/charcutier)
1 Tblspoon pickling spice
1/2 packed cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
5 cloves garlic, minced

Meat:
One five-pound beef plate or brisket (I used brisket)

Rub:
1 Tblespoon coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1 Tblspoon black pepper corns, lightly toasted

Combine the brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the
brisket and bring to a simmer, stirring to make sure the salt and
sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature,
then refigerate until the brine is chilled.

Put the beef in the brine and put a plate on top of it to make it
submerge completely. Refrigerate it for three days.

Remove the meat from the brine and discard the liquid. Rinse and dry
the meat.

Combine the coriander and the pepper in a spice mill and pulse until
coarsely ground. Coat the beef evenly with the mixture.

Hot smoke the meat to an internal temperature of 150 degrees
Farenheit. (I used pecan wood because I have a ready supply of it)

To prepare the meat for serving, place it in an inch of water in a pan
or on a rack above the water. Bring it to a simmer and put the pan
into a 275 degree oven for 2 to 3 hours until it's fork tender.

[NB: I omitted the last part of the cooking process because I smoked
it more than Ruhlman and Polcyn called for. I had no complaints about
the product from anybody who tasted it.]

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jun 20, 8:58?pm, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
>
>>Skyhooks wrote:
>>
>>>OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
>>>price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
>>>thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
>>>not something I do readily.

>>>Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
>>>recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The "Aunt
>>>Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I found it
>>>through a google groups search.

>>>However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine a
>>>few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
>>>the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
>>>can y'all suggest? TIA.

>>>Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

>>Spice Mix
>>2 teaspoons peppercorns
>>1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
>>1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
>>2 teaspoons fennel seeds
>>1 teaspoon mustard seeds
>>1 teaspoon mustard powder
>>1 tablespoon celery seeds
>>2 allspice berries
>>1 tablespoon smoked paprika
>>2 cloves garlic, minced
>>2 tablespoons brown sugar
>>1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
>>
>>Smoked Meat
>>3 lbs beef brisket, with fat on
>>1 cup red wine
>>3 slices double smoked bacon
>>2 cups wood chips, such as apple,cherry or
>>maple,soaked in water for 5 minutes

> Are you certain you didn't forget anything?

Nice job of editing out the cooking instructions.

I'll repeat them:

[...]

The time in the instructions adds up to:
3 hours 50 minutes with 20 mins prep

If you don't know how to tell if its done, you shouldn't be
smoking brisket in the first place.

The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
owner who lived in Vancouver, B.C. where I met him. He
insisted that brisket cooked this way was superior to N.Y.
Deli corned beef... After sampling the original, supposedly
authentic version of Smoked Meat during a vist to Montreal,
all I can say is harumph!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
>
>>OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
>>price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
>>thing?

> There's no such brisket cut as "small". Which cut, and how small...
> like wtf does it actually weigh? If what you have is the typical
> small (2-4lb), lean, flat cut typically sold at stupidmarkets that
> does not grill very well, especially if you're not experienced with
> long and slow grilling or bbq, you'll probably be eating shoe
> leather... that cut is best braised... I think braised brisket is
> better than Qd regrdless.

I agree. With me its an ethnic thing.

If you can afford the equipment, steaming brisket, whether
salted/corned or spice/rubbed is the way to go.

> Here... pick n' choose:
> http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/briindex.htm
>
> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Skyhooks > wrote:
>
> > My intention is to cook the brisket outside on
> > the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of recommendations
> > can y'all suggest? TIA.

> Here is a link to step-by-step instructions. I first posted it about
> seven years ago:
> <http://www.texascooking.com/features/apr99brisket.htm>.
>
> Victor

Thanks for sharing the link. It'll definitely come in handy when I take
the brisket outta the freezer.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Kat > wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>

> >I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of the
> >most difficult.

> Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!

Makes a wonderful ground beef too. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Kat wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> >I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of the
> >most difficult.

> Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!

Alas, I very much dislike both corned beef and pastrami. So, I'll
somehow prepare and cook this small brisket that's in the freezer for
the time being. Still figuring out what I'm gonna do with it Since
it doesn't have much fat on it, I'll probably use bacon (or something
similar) somehow when I cook it. But, I dunno yet.

And thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've so enjoyed reading
about them. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Kat wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>

>> I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one
>> of the most difficult.

> Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!

Uh, uh.....BBQ brisket is a thing of wonder :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How to cook it in the oven and have it come out fork tender.

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Put garlic slivers in small cut holes on the non fat sides. I put them about
every couple of inches apart.
Sear it on all sides in olive oil.
Put onions about a 1/2 thick on the bottom of a roasting pan with the
brisket on top
1 can of mushroom soup and spread it over the top of the brisket and
sprinkle a packet of onion soup over the top of that.
1/2 cup of beef broth in the bottom of the roasting pan.
Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 35 to 40 minutes a pound.
Uncover the last 30 minutes of cooking.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy Jose Lorr wrote:

> Nice job of editing out the cooking instructions.

That recipe is garbage.

> The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
> owner

Bacon is Jewish Style... moron and liar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Roy Jose Lorr wrote:

>>Nice job of editing out the cooking instructions.

> That recipe is garbage.

Ah, you've tried it I see.

>>The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
>>owner

> Bacon is Jewish Style

In what way, dearheart?

.... moron and liar.

How sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

: >I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of the
: >most difficult.

: Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!

Which adds more steps and makes it even MORE difficult! Sheese...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:16:09 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>: On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>

>: >I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of the
>: >most difficult.
>
>: Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!
>
>Which adds more steps and makes it even MORE difficult! Sheese...

Yes and no. I've smoked a brisket and I've made pastrami. There were
more steps, as you say, to making pastrami, in the sense that you have
to essentially make corned beef first. Then you rub it with black
pepper and coriander and smoke it. The recipe I followed came from
the Ruhlman/Polcyn book mentioned earlier, and delivered delicious
results.

The trouble I had with smoking a brisket was the long time it was
necessary to smoke it to get it tender. Sonny Bryan's BBQ in Dallas
typically smokes a brisket for about 18 hours at 225F, I think.
Somebody will correct me if I'm significantly off the mark. Reportedly
they smoke brisket 25 hours at 175F at Clark's Outpost in Tioga. I
don't know whether that's really true, though

I found keeping a wood and charcoal fire steady for such a long time
very hard to do. A boy has to catch a nap now and again. If you have
a gas-asissted smoker it wouldn't be much of a chore, I suppose. But
with my New Braunfels pit you have to stoke the fire regularly and
clean out the ashes in the fire box a couple of times in the course of
18 hours.

I only smoked the pastrami about as long as I'd do ribs -- 4-5 hours,
but it was quite tender after the days-long bath in pickling brine the
recipe called for.

Of the two, I'd say pastrami was the easier product to make.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, Skyhooks > wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in
> the freezer. The price was such I just couldn't resist.
> Now, what do I do with the thing? I can't remember when
> I last made a brisket, so it's definitely
> not something I do readily.

What is brisket, anyway? I mean, which
cut of the cow?

I remember my mother cooking it - roasted,
usually. It was always tough and tasteless.
Not my fondest childhood memories...

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:27:27 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

>I found keeping a wood and charcoal fire steady for such a long time
>very hard to do. A boy has to catch a nap now and again. If you have
>a gas-asissted smoker it wouldn't be much of a chore, I suppose. But
>with my New Braunfels pit you have to stoke the fire regularly and
>clean out the ashes in the fire box a couple of times in the course of
>18 hours.

This is the method I have read about, and it seems, at least from
reviews I have read, to be a relatively easy way to start and maintain
a fire...without that much attention. I could be dead wrong on this,
as I have never done any smoking...
I hope that is about to change...when I get a smoker..

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
> The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
> owner who lived in Vancouver, B.C. where I met him. He
> insisted that brisket cooked this way was superior to N.Y.
> Deli corned beef...

What is corned beef, anyway?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:

> On Jun 20, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
> > The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
> > owner who lived in Vancouver, B.C. where I met him. He
> > insisted that brisket cooked this way was superior to N.Y.
> > Deli corned beef...

> What is corned beef, anyway?
>
> --
> Rich

Nasty

Sky, who doesn't do corned beef or pastrami
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:

> On Jun 20, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
> > The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
> > owner who lived in Vancouver, B.C. where I met him. He
> > insisted that brisket cooked this way was superior to N.Y.
> > Deli corned beef...

> What is corned beef, anyway?

Salt-cured beef. Usually in a solution, but sometimes dry-cured.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> RichD wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 20, Roy Jose Lorr > wrote:
>>> The recipe came to me from a retired 'Jewish Style Deli'
>>> owner who lived in Vancouver, B.C. where I met him. He
>>> insisted that brisket cooked this way was superior to N.Y.
>>> Deli corned beef...

>> What is corned beef, anyway?
>>
>> --
>> Rich

> Nasty
>
> Sky, who doesn't do corned beef or pastrami

I thought I was the only one who hated it!

kili

More brisket! W. Lohman Barbecue 3 06-05-2015 01:13 AM
I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 08:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM