Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brisket .... how to?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:10:19 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:27:27 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
><moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:
>

>>I found keeping a wood and charcoal fire steady for such a long time
>>very hard to do. A boy has to catch a nap now and again. If you have
>>a gas-asissted smoker it wouldn't be much of a chore, I suppose. But
>>with my New Braunfels pit you have to stoke the fire regularly and
>>clean out the ashes in the fire box a couple of times in the course of
>>18 hours.

>This is the method I have read about, and it seems, at least from
>reviews I have read, to be a relatively easy way to start and maintain
>a fire...without that much attention. I could be dead wrong on this,
>as I have never done any smoking...
>I hope that is about to change...when I get a smoker..
>
>http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion
>
>Christine

Thanks for the link. I wonder ho well it'll work with lump charcoal
instead of briquettes? Briquettes have a lot of non charcoal stuff in
them and make much more ash than lumps.

Christine, you have to get a smoker and let us all know!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message

> What is corned beef, anyway?

Corned is the term used for cured beef. Brisket and rounds are the most
commonly done cuts. The term "coring" comes from the salt that was about the
size of kernels of corn. Once cured, it can be cooked as is, or can be made
into pastrami by seasoning and smoking it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message

> What is brisket, anyway? I mean, which
> cut of the cow?

Breast. It is attached to the fore legs and is a working muscle, thus it is
tough unless properly cooked to break down the collagen to make it tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>: On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:18:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
>wrote:
>

> : >I should also mention that out of all things to BBQ, brisket is one of
> the
> : >most difficult.
>
> : Which is why you should just use it for corned beef or pastrami!
>
> Which adds more steps and makes it even MORE difficult! Sheese...

Nothing difficult at all. I usually do two briskets and one pastrami at a
time. Very simple to do, but you do have to keep it cooking for a long
time. I cheat and do them overnight in the gas smoker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > What is corned beef, anyway?

> Corned is the term used for cured beef. Brisket and
> rounds are the most commonly done cuts. The term
> "coring" comes from the salt that was about the
> size of kernels of corn. Once cured, it can be cooked
> as is, or can be made
> into pastrami by seasoning and smoking it.

Sir, you're a regular edjimication. I wonder how
many Joes on the street know what 'corned' means?

In days of yore, salt curing was necessary for
storage. What is the point nowadays - taste?
It's not my taste -

How is the curing done, today?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> In days of yore, salt curing was necessary for
> storage. What is the point nowadays - taste?
> It's not my taste -
>
> How is the curing done, today?

Most is plant processed in a brine and injection of the brine, a combination
of salt and nitrites. A few home types will still use a dry cure by packing
it in salt and spices, but that takes longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:29:04 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
<moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:10:19 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>>http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion
>>
>>Christine

>Thanks for the link. I wonder ho well it'll work with lump charcoal
>instead of briquettes? Briquettes have a lot of non charcoal stuff in
>them and make much more ash than lumps.
>
>Christine, you have to get a smoker and let us all know!

Oh I will!!!

You should try it too...with your brand of smoker...

I have a whole list of things to smoke...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote:
>On Jun 26, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> > What is corned beef, anyway?

>> Corned is the term used for cured beef. Brisket and
>> rounds are the most commonly done cuts. The term
>> "coring" comes from the salt that was about the
>> size of kernels of corn. Once cured, it can be cooked
>> as is, or can be made
>> into pastrami by seasoning and smoking it.

Right origin, not quite the reason. Back then "corn"
was any grain, or by comparison any grainy substance.
"Corn" still means "grain" in most of the world, which
knows corn as "maize". I don't think the size mattered.

>In days of yore, salt curing was necessary for
>storage. What is the point nowadays - taste?
>It's not my taste -

Some corned beef can be nasty, but the good stuff
is great.

>How is the curing done, today?

Same way. Aging in salt for corned beef, same thing
plus smoking for pastrami.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"RichD" > wrote in message
>>
>> What is brisket, anyway? I mean, which
>> cut of the cow?

>Breast. It is attached to the fore legs and is a working muscle, thus it is
>tough unless properly cooked to break down the collagen to make it tender.

I like the brisket at Famous Dave's. Great stuff.

--Blair

More brisket! W. Lohman Barbecue 3 06-05-2015 01:13 AM
I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 07:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM