Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default A Marlborough pudding.

Pare, core and quarter six large ripe pippin apples. Stew them in
half a pint of water. When they are soft but not broken, take them
out, drain them through a sieve, and mash them to a paste with the
back of a spoon. Mix with them six large table-spoonfuls of sugar
and a quarter of a pound of butter, and set them away to get cold.
Grate two milk biscuits or email sponge cakes, or an equal
quantity of stale bread, and grate also the yellow peel, and
squeeze the juice of a large lemon. Beat six eggs light, and when
the apple is cold stir them gradually into it, adding the grated
biscuit and the lemon. Stir in a wine glass of rose water and a
grated nutmeg. Put the mixture into a buttered dish or dishes; lay
round the edge a border of puff paste, and bake it three quarters
of art hour. When cold, grate white sugar over the top, and
ornament it with slips of citron handsomely arranged.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 9:41 am, Anne > wrote:
> Pare, core and quarter six large ripe pippin apples. Stew them in
> half a pint of water. When they are soft but not broken, take them
> out, drain them through a sieve, and mash them to a paste with the
> back of a spoon. Mix with them six large table-spoonfuls of sugar
> and a quarter of a pound of butter, and set them away to get cold.
> Grate two milk biscuits or email sponge cakes,

What's are "email sponge cakes"??

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:41 am, Anne > wrote:
>> Grate two milk biscuits or email sponge cakes,

> What's are "email sponge cakes"??

I found that curious also. It looks like the recipes were scanned from
historic documents. Then OCRed and spellchecked with little human
intervention. "s" and "e" look very similar to an OCR program. "i" and
"l" also look similar, especially when the original printing has broken
type. So the OCR result might have been "emall" or "smail", which is
just a short step to "email" for a spellchecker. Probably, the word
should just be "small" instead of "email".

Fred "Help, I'm drowning in quote marks" A.

TN: Marlborough SB and MSR Riesling DaleW Wine 7 05-05-2008 08:23 PM
River Lane Marlborough SB Dave Devine Wine 3 12-03-2008 09:03 PM
Marlborough SB Earle Jones Wine 0 23-10-2004 01:18 AM
Huia from Marlborough New Zealand. Richard Neidich Wine 8 04-09-2004 02:17 AM
Terrior & Marlborough Sauvignon (Long) st.helier Wine 15 01-05-2004 12:06 AM