Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

TammyM said...

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:38:10 -0000, maxine in ri >
> wrote:
>
>>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>>
>>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>>person.)
>>
>>What do others use in place of salt?

> Depends on the food. Lemon and garlic. Wakes the hell out of
> everything! Paprika. Cumin. Char masala (2:1:1:1 ratio of cinnamon,
> coriander, cloves and cumin - try it with meat/poultry, it's
> wonderful). Fresh herbs of all kinds. There's no reason to be
> salt-dependent.
>
> (having said that, I love my salt and don't have a reason to reduce my
> intake....)
>
> TammyM

Women always taste salty. Don't change a thing!!!

Andy's Evil Twin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> > There is a product called "No Salt". ;-D

> Ahh... ya got me!!! I've never heard of "no salt".
>
> When I was in the hospital, when they weren't IV'ing me with NaCl all day,
> I got a break and got one or two sacks of KCl instead.
>
> No flavor, either of 'em!
>
> Andy

I'm not that fond of it either, but once you get used to low sodium
cooking/eating, it's not needed.

IMHO it's best to cut sodium hard and fast.
You get used to it faster that way and it does not take that long to
adjust to it even tho' food tastes a bit bland for a couple of weeks. It
amazed me how quickly I lost my taste for lots of salt. Truly.

Kinda like giving up smoking, you will gain more than you will lose in
the overall flavor of food!

But for those that must:

http://products.peapod.com/11733.html
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> Slight carmelization of most foods will also lend a salty flavor to the
> food.

I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
(Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
salt, like Cracker Jacks.

Sheldon Beernuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Goomba38 said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for

> pancreatitus. I >> wasn't allowed to eat.
> >>
> >> What class of patient does that put me in?

> > Sick. LOL, but we already KNEW that, eh?
> > Pancreatitis is pretty common and can range from mild to dead.
> > Not eating (bowel rest) is SOP. In fact, even chewing gum and
> > smoking are discouraged because it promotes gastric acid
> > production. Mostly we just keep a patient hydrated (those IV
> > fluids) and monitor/support till resolution.

> I didn't get to eat or drink for a week. I got to sip water and
> gargle and spit it out.
>
> YOU ever done that? And if so, what condition were you in??

Not quite a week, but when I had abdominal surgery I was on no food AND
a damn NG tube for about five days. That tube was worse than the
incision. I got ice chips.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Goomba38 said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> Goomba38,
> >>
> >> Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7
> >> days non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to
> >> prevent vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue
> >> marks on my arm.
> >>
> >> The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.
> >>
> >> Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full
> >> of pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to
> >> my arm. I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK...
> >> zzz"
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Right.. we always "clearly mark" IV fluid bags with their contents. All
> > I was saying was that there is nothing particularly unusual or
> > remarkable about your getting IV fluids (non stop or intermittantly) for
> > that time.
> > Potassium can be pretty hard on veins, but you were getting no more than
> > 10 mEq at a time if in the small bag and less per hour if in the large
> > maintenance bag of fluids, because we can't (don't) put more than that
> > through those tender peripheral veins. If you were in crisis you'd have
> > had a different type of venous access.

> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
> wasn't allowed to eat.
>
> What class of patient does that put me in?
>
> ???
>
> Andy

LOL! A hungry one I should imagine.

During my recent hospital stay I acquired some spectacular bruises as
well; but then I bruise easily anyway. Despite having two IV/injection
ports (matched set one per wrist) my sodium chloride was given as stupid
tablets which seemed to disagree with me. We compromised: one tablet per
meal (regular diet) and I sprinkled more salt on my food.

Consider the logistics of feeding so many sick patients with different
cultural/religious restrictions and different dietary restrictions!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Goomba38 said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
> >> wasn't allowed to eat.
> >>
> >> What class of patient does that put me in?

> > Sick. LOL, but we already KNEW that, eh?
> > Pancreatitis is pretty common and can range from mild to dead.
> > Not eating (bowel rest) is SOP. In fact, even chewing gum and smoking
> > are discouraged because it promotes gastric acid production. Mostly we
> > just keep a patient hydrated (those IV fluids) and monitor/support till
> > resolution.

> I didn't get to eat or drink for a week. I got to sip water and gargle and
> spit it out.
>
> YOU ever done that? And if so, what condition were you in??
>
> Andy

Many years ago I got food poisoning from contaminated shellfish bought
from an ordinarily clean and reputable retailer. The initial vomiting
made me wish I was dying and I did think I would... However developed a
bowel inflammation (apparently common enough in that type of poisoning).
Doctor prescribed only small amounts of water sipped at intervals and no
food for 5 to 7 days! Then the usual progression of clear liquid,
semisoft and then soft foods. It was fully six weeks before I could eat
normal food again. A colleague who joined our group for lunch actually
said 'I don't know how you keep so slim.' Try a good dose of food
poisoning and fewer than 1000 calories per day for weeks (and no I don't
recommend it!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> maxine in ri said...
>
>> What do others use in place of salt?

> No salt.
>
> Andy

A little salt won't kill you. That's such a myth! Salt is essential to
some dishes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > Slight carmelization of most foods will also lend a salty flavor to the
> > food.

> I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
> I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
> (Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
> salt, like Cracker Jacks.
>
> Sheldon Beernuts

Okay then, maillard reaction.

;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:

> > > Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
> > > compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
> > > applications and in limited quantities.

> > > Pete C.

> > Ah! Which spices? I use as Michael does, Mrs Dash mixes (lemon
> > pepper, original, and tomato basil), but I like to do my own spicing,
> > so am looking for suggestions. With over 100 bottles on my spice
> > racks (some dupes, some ground/whole/crushed, some mixes), I'm
> > interested in hearing what other folks add rather than my usual
> > "throw the spice rack in the pot" sort of seasoning.

> > I usually use a small amount of salt in the cooking, but for DM and
> > DS, any salt is too much. Freakin' pains in the butt....

> > (I'm losing it- the weather is getting hot and humid, and I'm just
> > not my usual sweet self)

> > maxine in ri

> What I use depends on what I'm making. Usual suspects include garlic
> (powder), basil, oregano, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Others
> range from chipotle powder to cardamom as appropriate.
>
> Mostly wet here north of Dallas at the moment, several towns under
> water. Just soggy here fortunately. My pond level went up at least a
> foot overnight.
>
> Pete C.

Yeah, you folks got whomped with that flood. Here in Cow Hill (ENE of
Dallas), the rains were not a big deal, but up in Gainesville and
Sherman people washed away. Stay dry.

OBSalt substitutes: I think strong flavors work well. Also I tend to
add some cayenne to foods if I'm trying to limit the salt. Sometimes
it wakes up flavors even if it's not noticeably spicy.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article . com>,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:
>> >
>> > Slight carmelization of most foods will also lend a salty flavor to the
>> > food.

>> I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
>> I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
>> (Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
>> salt, like Cracker Jacks.
>>
>> Sheldon Beernuts

> Okay then, maillard reaction.

<G> and where would we be without it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 1:30 pm, (TammyM) wrote:
> Char masala (2:1:1:1 ratio of cinnamon,
> coriander, cloves and cumin - try it with meat/poultry, it's
> wonderful).
> TammyM

That's a combination I haven't used. Thanks. I'll try it out on
my DH salt-a-holic tonight and see how it goes over. Since we
just shipped the vegetarian off onto the high seas for a week,
it's carni-cooking until next Wednesday!

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 7:00 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > maxine in ri said...

> >> What do others use in place of salt?

> > No salt.

> > Andy

> A little salt won't kill you. That's such a myth! Salt is essential to
> some dishes.
>
> Jill

Of course. But I was asking for two people who are medically on no-
added-salt diets. There is salt in almost everything you ingest, but
when cooking with fresh unprocessed foods, manipulating the flavor so
that it is palatable to both the nasd and salt-a-holics is an
interesting path to travel.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 10:08?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> Sheldon > wrote:
> > Omelet > wrote:

> > > Slight carmelization of most foods will also lend a salty flavor to the
> > > food.

> > I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
> > I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
> > (Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
> > salt, like Cracker Jacks.

> > Sheldon Beernuts

> Okay then, maillard reaction.
>
> ;-d

Well, if you heat my meat you'll taste salt. ;-d

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pepper.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make my own salt substitute with a base of onion powder. I add a
little garlic powder, paprika, dried chives, dried lemon thyme, dried
dill, etc. I pulverize it all in my spice grinder (coffee bean grinder)
and pour into my salt shakers.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article . com>,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
> >> I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
> >> (Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
> >> salt, like Cracker Jacks.
> >>
> >> Sheldon Beernuts

> > Okay then, maillard reaction.

> <G> and where would we be without it

Indeed! ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
maxine in ri > wrote:

> On Jun 19, 7:00 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> > > maxine in ri said...

> > > No salt.

> > > Andy

> > A little salt won't kill you. That's such a myth! Salt is essential to
> > some dishes.
> >
> > Jill

> Of course. But I was asking for two people who are medically on no-
> added-salt diets. There is salt in almost everything you ingest, but
> when cooking with fresh unprocessed foods, manipulating the flavor so
> that it is palatable to both the nasd and salt-a-holics is an
> interesting path to travel.
>
> maxine in ri

No it's not.
Just keep a salt shaker on the table. <G>
I don't cook with a lot of salt (and have been flamed for it but oh
well!).

I find that salting foods to taste at the table works just fine for both
of us. We end up using less.

We go thru maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of salt per year, max for the two of us.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Jun 19, 10:08?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> >
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> > > I don't think anyone mistakes carAmelized sugar (sweet) for salt...
> > > I'm assuming you don't mean "carmelization" as foods from 93921
> > > (Carmel, CA). Of course lots of caramelized confections also contain
> > > salt, like Cracker Jacks.

> > > Sheldon Beernuts

> > Okay then, maillard reaction.
> >
> > ;-d

> Well, if you heat my meat you'll taste salt. ;-d

Just be sure to kiss me so I can share! ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> No it's not.
> Just keep a salt shaker on the table. <G>
> I don't cook with a lot of salt (and have been flamed for it but oh
> well!).

Everytime this topic comes up you claim that...yet I've never seen it? I
have seen discussion about mistaken notions, but no flames?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 4:22 pm, Omelet > wrote:

> We go thru maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of salt per year, max for the two of us.

Good grief! We do about a pound a month, for the two of us.

Of course, quite a bit of that goes down the drain with the pasta
water.
But, still...

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > No it's not.
> > Just keep a salt shaker on the table. <G>
> > I don't cook with a lot of salt (and have been flamed for it but oh
> > well!).

> Everytime this topic comes up you claim that...yet I've never seen it? I
> have seen discussion about mistaken notions, but no flames?

Oh.

The Irony... ;-D

Thanks for the chuckle babe!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Jun 20, 4:22 pm, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > We go thru maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of salt per year, max for the two of us.

> Good grief! We do about a pound a month, for the two of us.
>
> Of course, quite a bit of that goes down the drain with the pasta
> water.
> But, still...
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We've really lost our taste for it.

I purchase "Real Salt" brand raw salt in one lb. bags and just re-fill
the shakers as needed.

It's good stuff and contains trace minerals.

Pasta is a rare treat so that might help? <shrugs>
We do eat some starches, but it's not a major part of our diets.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.