Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Default Bay Leaf Question

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J S" > wrote in message

> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> Smitty in St.Pete

Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 7:27 pm, (J S) wrote:
> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

I've finally switched to powdered. It's safer when you have a child.

> Smitty in St.Pete

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:27:03 -0400, J S wrote:
>
> > Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay
> > leaf in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone
> > else.It happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite
> > serious/Ive noticed some TV chefs leave it in and others remove
> > them.
> > Smitty in St.Pete

> I'm wondering how a whole bay leaf ends up in the back of your
> throat. Don't you notice something like that going into your
> mouth, or at least by the time it hits your tongue?
>
> Are a you a shoveler?
>
> -sw

That's what I was thinking with my "chew" comment. With young kids, well'
I'd probably fish out the leaf, or leave it out in the first place.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 8:47 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
> "J S" > wrote in message
>

> > Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> > in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> > happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> > some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> > Smitty in St.Pete

> Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?
>
> BOB

Usually, when a recipe calls for a bay leaf I leave it out bcause it
overwhelms the more subtle flavors, but when I use seasonings that
have to be removed, I put them in a stainless steel tea ball and
remove it when the sauce or soup tastes right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

My mother used to put them in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it.Will try
the teaball thing,thanks...
Smitty

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
BOBOBOnoBO(R) > wrote:

> On Jun 15, 7:27 pm, (J S) wrote:
> > Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> > in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> > happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> > some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

> I've finally switched to powdered. It's safer when you have a child.

Or you could just teach the child how to eat; that way, the kid won't
get into trouble eating out, or at a friend's house.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(J S) wrote:

> Bay Leaf Question
>
> Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 15, 2007, 9:28pm (EDT-1) From:

(jmcquown)

wrote:
> On Jun 15, 8:47 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
> "J S" > wrote in message
>
> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> Smitty in St.Pete
> Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?
> BOB
> Usually, when a recipe calls for a bay leaf I leave it out bcause it
> overwhelms the more subtle flavors, but when I use seasonings that have
> to be removed, I put them in a stainless steel tea ball and remove it
> when the sauce or soup tastes right.
> A double-folded square of cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine works just
> as well.
> <<guess my mom was right,,,about the cheesecloth...will hunt some up.My
> grandmother used to get hers in an old(1940s-50s) Italian grocer in a
> glass jar, many of them were not whole,bit pieces..
> Smitty in St.Pete

Screen teaball = faster and easier.
I don't have any real use for cheesecloth other than maybe making up an
herb ball out of it, and I don't need more "stuff" taking up space in
the kitchen.

I always have teaballs on hand...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J S wrote:
> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> Smitty in St.Pete

I pull them out at serving if I see it readily, otherwise I figure most
people shouldn't be putting so much on their fork/spoon nor shoveling it
in their mouth so fast that they are in any danger of missing it if it
should appear in their dish...?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:24:48 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Screen teaball = faster and easier.
>I don't have any real use for cheesecloth other than maybe making up an
>herb ball out of it, and I don't need more "stuff" taking up space in
>the kitchen.
>
>I always have teaballs on hand...

I always use a screen teaball too. Cheesecloth and twine are two more
bulky items to keep on hand and store vs one *compact item* that
rarely needs replacement. With a teaball, all I do is fish it out of
the drawer, use it, wash it and put it back in the drawer until the
next time.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:24:48 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >Screen teaball = faster and easier.
> >I don't have any real use for cheesecloth other than maybe making up an
> >herb ball out of it, and I don't need more "stuff" taking up space in
> >the kitchen.
> >
> >I always have teaballs on hand...

> I always use a screen teaball too. Cheesecloth and twine are two more
> bulky items to keep on hand and store vs one *compact item* that
> rarely needs replacement. With a teaball, all I do is fish it out of
> the drawer, use it, wash it and put it back in the drawer until the
> next time.

Yep!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 12:18 am, isw > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> BOBOBOnoBO(R) > wrote:
> > On Jun 15, 7:27 pm, (J S) wrote:
> > > Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> > > in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> > > happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> > > some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

> > I've finally switched to powdered. It's safer when you have a child.

> Or you could just teach the child how to eat; that way, the kid won't
> get into trouble eating out, or at a friend's house.

It's also a lot faster. Getting bay leaf flavor into tomato sauce is
a two or more hour process.

> Isaac

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(J S) wrote:
> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

They should be removed before serving. I count my bay leaves. I
always use three, so I know that's how many to pull out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J S wrote:

> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> Smitty in St.Pete

Shoot, what's the big deal? I always leave them in.
I mean, no one's going to eat it, it's too big and hard.
What's the big deal about just picking it out when you're
eating if it ends up in your portion. It doesn't
hurt a thing.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> J S wrote:
>
> > Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> > in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> > happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> > some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> > Smitty in St.Pete

> Shoot, what's the big deal? I always leave them in.
> I mean, no one's going to eat it, it's too big and hard.
> What's the big deal about just picking it out when you're
> eating if it ends up in your portion. It doesn't
> hurt a thing.
>
> Kate

Except to those that don't chew their food...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J S" > wrote in message
> Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
> in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
> happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
> some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
> Smitty in St.Pete

Drop it into a spice bag. Kinda hard to eat that w/o noticing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Bay Leaf Question

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Mon, Jun 18, 2007, 3:46pm From:
(Kswck)

"Drop it into a spice bag. Kinda hard to eat that w/o noticing. "

Its the pieces that break off that get you.Its kind of like getting a
potato chip,or Dorito stuck.
Cheers,Smitty

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 18, 8:16 am, Kate Connally > wrote:

> Shoot, what's the big deal? I always leave them in.
> I mean, no one's going to eat it, it's too big and hard.
> What's the big deal about just picking it out when you're
> eating if it ends up in your portion. It doesn't
> hurt a thing.

Sorry, it's just lazy and inconsiderate of those eating your food not
to remove it before serving. Sure, chances of a painful accident are
very small but why should those you invite to your table have to
assume the risk?

I remove bay leaves before serving; I devein shrimp before cooking; I
snip off the sharp points of artichoke leaves; I remove all the
gristle and silverskin when I cut up a chuck roast for stew. What's
the big deal? No big deal. Just seems like the right thing(s) to
do...... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>

>>J S wrote:
>>

>>>Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
>>>in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
>>>happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
>>>some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
>>>Smitty in St.Pete

>>Shoot, what's the big deal? I always leave them in.
>>I mean, no one's going to eat it, it's too big and hard.
>>What's the big deal about just picking it out when you're
>>eating if it ends up in your portion. It doesn't
>>hurt a thing.
>>
>>Kate

> Except to those that don't chew their food...

Well, anyone whole eats in such a way as to swallow
a whole bay leave deserves what they get. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> On Jun 18, 8:16 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>>Shoot, what's the big deal? I always leave them in.
>>I mean, no one's going to eat it, it's too big and hard.
>>What's the big deal about just picking it out when you're
>>eating if it ends up in your portion. It doesn't
>>hurt a thing.
>>

> Sorry, it's just lazy and inconsiderate of those eating your food not
> to remove it before serving. Sure, chances of a painful accident are
> very small but why should those you invite to your table have to
> assume the risk?
>
> I remove bay leaves before serving; I devein shrimp before cooking; I
> snip off the sharp points of artichoke leaves; I remove all the
> gristle and silverskin when I cut up a chuck roast for stew. What's
> the big deal? No big deal. Just seems like the right thing(s) to
> do...... -aem

Well, yeah, those other things, but the bay leaf? Pish tosh.
Anyone offended by a bay leaf in their food is waaaaay too
sensitive, and needs to eat elsewhere.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> > Except to those that don't chew their food...

> Well, anyone whole eats in such a way as to swallow
> a whole bay leave deserves what they get. ;-)
>
> Kate

No arguments there! <lol>

I watched my Brother in Law eating some chili dogs the other day.
He ate one in 3 bites in probably less than 5 seconds flat.

And yes, I did say something.

I learned ages ago that a big part of weight control was learning to
take the time to chew and enjoy the food!

Oddly enough, since I've started paying attention to this one little
item, I've noticed a lot of "shovelers" in the general population.

It would have taken me a good 15 to 20 minutes to eat the chili dog that
he inhaled in 5 seconds.

Would you like a straw with that next time?

It is all too common.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bay Leaf Question-searched

In article >,
(J S) wrote:

> Bay Leaf Question
>
> Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 15, 2007, 5:53pm (EDT-3) From:

(BOBOBOnoBO®)

http://www.google.com/search?q=bay+l...ISO-8859-1&btn
> G=Search
>
> Smitty

120,000 cites.

Wow.

Glad I always lay them on top and remove them...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Too much Bay Leaf? Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 2 28-05-2016 04:03 AM
Leaf celery - again! George Shirley Preserving 2 24-04-2010 12:31 PM
Green tea leaf particle and leaf size Tea Sunrise Tea 14 24-09-2007 08:24 PM
Bay leaf Puester General Cooking 55 15-12-2004 06:40 PM
Question Regarding Infusers & Loose Leaf Tea Derek Mark Edding Tea 7 06-03-2004 03:13 PM