Old 16-06-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Default Bay Leaf Question

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete

Old 16-06-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"J S" wrote in message

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete

Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?

BOB

Old 16-06-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 7:27 pm, (J S) wrote:
Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

I've finally switched to powdered. It's safer when you have a child.

Smitty in St.Pete

--Bryan

Old 16-06-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:27:03 -0400, J S wrote:

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay
leaf in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone
else.It happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite
serious/Ive noticed some TV chefs leave it in and others remove
them.
Smitty in St.Pete

I'm wondering how a whole bay leaf ends up in the back of your
throat. Don't you notice something like that going into your
mouth, or at least by the time it hits your tongue?

Are a you a shoveler?

-sw

That's what I was thinking with my "chew" comment. With young kids, well'
I'd probably fish out the leaf, or leave it out in the first place.

BOB

Old 16-06-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 8:47 pm, " BOB" wrote:
"J S" wrote in message

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete

Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?

BOB

Usually, when a recipe calls for a bay leaf I leave it out bcause it
overwhelms the more subtle flavors, but when I use seasonings that
have to be removed, I put them in a stainless steel tea ball and
remove it when the sauce or soup tastes right.

Old 16-06-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

My mother used to put them in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it.Will try
the teaball thing,thanks...
Smitty

Old 16-06-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com,
BOBOBOnoBO(R) wrote:

On Jun 15, 7:27 pm, (J S) wrote:
Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.

I've finally switched to powdered. It's safer when you have a child.

Or you could just teach the child how to eat; that way, the kid won't
get into trouble eating out, or at a friend's house.

Isaac
Old 16-06-2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
(J S) wrote:

Bay Leaf Question

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 15, 2007, 9:28pm (EDT-1) From:
(jmcquown)
wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:47 pm, " BOB" wrote:
"J S" wrote in message

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete
Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?
BOB
Usually, when a recipe calls for a bay leaf I leave it out bcause it
overwhelms the more subtle flavors, but when I use seasonings that have
to be removed, I put them in a stainless steel tea ball and remove it
when the sauce or soup tastes right.
A double-folded square of cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine works just
as well.
guess my mom was right,,,about the cheesecloth...will hunt some up.My
grandmother used to get hers in an old(1940s-50s) Italian grocer in a
glass jar, many of them were not whole,bit pieces..
Smitty in St.Pete

Screen teaball = faster and easier.
I don't have any real use for cheesecloth other than maybe making up an
herb ball out of it, and I don't need more "stuff" taking up space in
the kitchen.

I always have teaballs on hand...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-06-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

J S wrote:
Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete

I pull them out at serving if I see it readily, otherwise I figure most
people shouldn't be putting so much on their fork/spoon nor shoveling it
in their mouth so fast that they are in any danger of missing it if it
should appear in their dish...?

Too much Bay Leaf? Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 2 28-05-2016 04:03 AM
Leaf celery - again! George Shirley Preserving 2 24-04-2010 12:31 PM
Green tea leaf particle and leaf size Tea Sunrise Tea 14 24-09-2007 08:24 PM
Bay leaf Puester General Cooking 55 15-12-2004 06:40 PM
Question Regarding Infusers & Loose Leaf Tea Derek Mark Edding Tea 7 06-03-2004 03:13 PM