FoodBanter.com

-   -   Language of FoodTV (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/126393-language-foodtv.html)

raymond[_2_] 15-06-2007 03:00 AM

Language of FoodTV

Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
"up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.

Giada does it a lot:

Measure out
Thaw out
Grill up
Pack up (cookies)
My perfect (whatever)

SLee is worse:

Mix this up
Cook this up
Stir this up
Toast this up
While these are baking up
Finish off (my rice)
It's thickening up
Finish up
Press these down (patties)
My super super simple (whatever)
My phenomenal (whatever)
My wonderful (whatever)

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

sf[_3_] 15-06-2007 07:13 AM

Language of FoodTV

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond >
wrote:

>Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
>a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
>easy way to get protein into them."
>
>Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.

--
See return address to reply by email

Dan Abel 15-06-2007 05:38 PM

Language of FoodTV

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond >
> wrote:
>
> >Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
> >a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
> >easy way to get protein into them."
> >
> >Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".
> >

> SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.

Some kids need fattening up. Some don't. I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".
I like hot dogs, slit lengthwise, stuffed with cheese, and bacon on top.
I bake them in a medium oven until the bacon is done (I sometimes nuke
the bacon a little first, until it is limp). I like these eaten with
knife and fork, with horseradish mustard. At my current weight, once or
twice a year is enough.

Nancy2 15-06-2007 06:55 PM

Language of FoodTV

On Jun 14, 9:00 pm, raymond > wrote:
> Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
> "up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.
>
> Giada does it a lot:
>
> Measure out
> Thaw out
> Grill up
> Pack up (cookies)
> My perfect (whatever)
>
> SLee is worse:
>
> Mix this up
> Cook this up
> Stir this up
> Toast this up
> While these are baking up
> Finish off (my rice)
> It's thickening up
> Finish up
> Press these down (patties)
> My super super simple (whatever)
> My phenomenal (whatever)
> My wonderful (whatever)
>
> Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
> a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
> easy way to get protein into them."
>
> Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

You forgot "off," the most popular redundancy ever: cook off, sear
off, fry off, bake off, braise off, stew off, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
The competitors on Top Chef were particularly egregious, but many of
the FTV stars are guilty, too.

N.

Becca 15-06-2007 07:23 PM

Language of FoodTV

raymond wrote:

> Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
> "up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.

"Pop it into the oven!" I grow weary of hearing that phrase over and over.

Becca

Pennyaline 15-06-2007 10:48 PM

Language of FoodTV

raymond wrote:

<snip>

> SLee is worse:
>
> Mix this up
> Cook this up
> Stir this up
> Toast this up
> While these are baking up
> Finish off (my rice)
> It's thickening up
> Finish up
> Press these down (patties)
> My super super simple (whatever)
> My phenomenal (whatever)
> My wonderful (whatever)

"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"All you have to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"Just come in here with your..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"Just go in with your..."
"All you have to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."

> Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
> a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
> easy way to get protein into them."
>
> Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

But... but... it's just like gourmet!

(pout) Gordon likes it. (pout)

<just stir in some vanilla extract and food coloring and spread it all
over the top. it's fine>

Default User 15-06-2007 11:26 PM

Language of FoodTV

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, sf wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon
> > > around a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and
> > > it's an easy way to get protein into them."
> > >
> > > Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".
> > >

> > SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.

> Some kids need fattening up. Some don't. I weighed 135 pounds at
> 6'2".

I hate you.

Brian

won't shut up.

sf[_3_] 16-06-2007 12:11 AM

Language of FoodTV

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".

WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
that's a skinny man.

--
See return address to reply by email

kilikini 16-06-2007 12:20 AM

Language of FoodTV

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".

> WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
> that's a skinny man.

Dang, I'm 146 at 5'7". I must be HUGE in comparison. :-(

kili

Dan Abel 16-06-2007 01:51 AM

Language of FoodTV

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".

> WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
> that's a skinny man.

It wasn't pleasant.

Dan Abel 16-06-2007 01:55 AM

Language of FoodTV

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
> >
> >> I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".

> > WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
> > that's a skinny man.

> Dang, I'm 146 at 5'7". I must be HUGE in comparison. :-(

We're on the rfc mugshots page. I'm about 170 pounds now.

J S 16-06-2007 02:24 AM

Language of FoodTV

Language of FoodTV

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Thu, Jun 14, 2007, 10:00pm From:
(raymond)
[...]

<<Racheal Ray aiways says"Delish" and "Beautifull""Amazing" amd "Yummo"

Smitty in St.Pete

Paco's Tacos 16-06-2007 05:02 AM

Language of FoodTV

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> You forgot "off," the most popular redundancy ever: cook off, sear
> off, fry off, bake off, braise off, stew off, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
> The competitors on Top Chef were particularly egregious, but many of
> the FTV stars are guilty, too.
>
> N.

For whatever reason, that's pretty common in commercial kitchens. As is
f*** off, during the height of Friday or Saturday night's dinner service!