Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ingredients you *cannot* do without...

For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
(white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...

So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in news:B2Tbi.98132$vE1.20724
@newsfe24.lga:

> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

*Everything* :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Come to the edge, Life said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, Life said.
They came.
Life pushed them...and they flew."
-Guillaume Apollinaire-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

Olive oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Goomba38 > wrote:
>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>
>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

>Olive oil.

Coffee. [35 years ago I would have said "cigarettes" :-)]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 10:21?am, PeterLucas > wrote:
> Chatty Cathy > wrote in news:B2Tbi.98132$vE1.20724
> @newsfe24.lga:
>
> > For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> > (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...

> > So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

> *Everything* :-)

Good answer... really the only answer.

But if I can only choose one I can trump that... chocolate! <G>

Actually I never have chocolate in stock, it's never around long
enough to become stock... I don't think I've ever actually put any
chocolate into the cupboard... often it never makes it all the way
home. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> In article >, Goomba38 > wrote:
> >Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> >> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
> >>
> >> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

> >Olive oil.

> Coffee. [35 years ago I would have said "cigarettes" :-)]
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Coffee and hot sauce are tied. Don't do well without either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Naked lady. A must-have in the kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
quits and go back to bed for the day.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cathy1234
@mailinator.com says...
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> --

Lord, that would be a long list! A few things that come to mind:

Garlic, indeed!
Onions
Olive oil
Rice
Eggs
Vinegar (balsamic and wine)
butter
pasta

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Beer. (j/k)

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:14:18 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>(white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
>So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

Coffee; get more anytime there's less than two pounds left.
Cream. HEAVY whipping cream. For the coffee. None of that powdered
plastic stuff for me!

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head
>> of (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>
>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

> Olive oil.

What kind of olive oil to you prefer? e.g. Greek, Italian, Spanish etc.?
Unfortunately I have never seen olive oil produced in the USA available
here, but I believe that it is pretty good too?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>
>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
> quits and go back to bed for the day.

If you tell me that it's "low fat" or "fat free" milk, I will also stay
in bed tomorrow
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> > For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> > (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
> >
> > So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
> quits and go back to bed for the day.
>
> Felice

I always have two levels of backup on that one. I keep cans of
evaporated milk in stock as the first level backup and a jar of powdered
creamer as the second level backup. Failing both I'd resort to tea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> Lord, that would be a long list! A few things that come to mind:
>
> Garlic, indeed!
> Onions
> Olive oil
> Rice
> Eggs
> Vinegar (balsamic and wine)
> butter
> pasta

Not a bad list Peter.... and I just remembered a few other things:

Bacon
Mustard (in various 'types')
Coconut milk (for certain curries)
Soy sauce
Mushrooms (also of various types)
and Peanut Butter - LOL - we use that for peanut sauce...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>>> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>>
>>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
>> quits and go back to bed for the day.

> If you tell me that it's "low fat" or "fat free" milk, I will also stay in
> bed tomorrow
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Uh oh. As a rule it's 2% because I heat it and do a cafe au lait. But when I
need a real dose I use heavy cream and I float it. That's a lost art: my
kids used to beg "Float the cream, Mommy!"

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
>>
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>> > For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>> > (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>> >
>> > So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy

>> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
>> quits and go back to bed for the day.
>>
>> Felice

> I always have two levels of backup on that one. I keep cans of
> evaporated milk in stock as the first level backup and a jar of powdered
> creamer as the second level backup. Failing both I'd resort to tea.

Sorry. I can't accept evap or powdered. If there ain't no milk, there ain't
no coffee. Tea is the backup.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:11:58 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Felice Friese wrote:
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
>>> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>>
>>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
>> quits and go back to bed for the day.

>If you tell me that it's "low fat" or "fat free" milk, I will also stay
>in bed tomorrow

It *has* to be cream. I can't stand gray coffee.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

Carrots, Onions, Celery, Salt free lemon pepper, Garlic, Fresh Ginger
root, and believe it or not, Broccoli! Dad loves that stuff. :-)

Oh, and some kind of home made stock, and Olive Oil.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Carrots, Onions, Celery, Salt free lemon pepper, Garlic, Fresh Ginger
> root, and believe it or not, Broccoli! Dad loves that stuff. :-)
>
> Oh, and some kind of home made stock, and Olive Oil.

Ohhh, I forgot the fresh ginger root - (how could I?)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> In article >, cathy1234
> @mailinator.com says...
> > For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> > (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
> >
> > So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> > --
> >

> Lord, that would be a long list! A few things that come to mind:
>
> Garlic, indeed!
> Onions
> Olive oil
> Rice
> Eggs
> Vinegar (balsamic and wine)
> butter
> pasta

We may not agree on handguns, but we sure do agree on some of those
ingredients. ;-)

<hugs>

I should have added rice, eggs and butter to my list!
Thanks for the reminder.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Felice Friese wrote:

>> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
>> quits and go back to bed for the day.

> If you tell me that it's "low fat" or "fat free" milk, I will also stay in
> bed tomorrow

Haha, that's funny. When I saw this thread I right away thought
light cream. I have to have it for my coffee and I make sure I never
run out. Closest I get to running out is one backup container.

Of course, I also make sure I never run out of cat food because
that will make my life miserable, too, but that's another story.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cathy1234
@mailinator.com says...
> What kind of olive oil to you prefer? e.g. Greek, Italian, Spanish etc.?
> Unfortunately I have never seen olive oil produced in the USA available
> here, but I believe that it is pretty good too?

US olive oil can be excellent but it tends to be "botique" oil and
therefore expensive.

You can't judge an oil by its country of origin. The countries you list
all make some great oils but also some that are not so great. I've also
had wonderful olive oils from Morocco, Jordan, and Lebanon. CostCo's
oil, from Italy I believe, is a great deal.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:14:18 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head
>> of (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>
>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

> Coffee; get more anytime there's less than two pounds left.
> Cream. HEAVY whipping cream. For the coffee. None of that powdered
> plastic stuff for me!

For me too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

>>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

>> Olive oil.

> What kind of olive oil to you prefer? e.g. Greek, Italian, Spanish etc.?
> Unfortunately I have never seen olive oil produced in the USA available
> here, but I believe that it is pretty good too?

I keep regular olive oil around to fry and saute things in. I am
currently using Berio as the commissary stocks it routinely. I'm using
Colavito extra virgin for salads and uncooked uses right now. I'm not
slave to any particular brand or country of origin and don't mind trying
various ones as I find them (my sources vary at times) although I do
avoid using a few brands (Progresso, for example).
The olive oil produced in Napa Valley is limited and pricey, but I hear
it is very good. I've not tried it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> US olive oil can be excellent but it tends to be "botique" oil and
> therefore expensive.
>
> You can't judge an oil by its country of origin. The countries you list
> all make some great oils but also some that are not so great. I've also
> had wonderful olive oils from Morocco, Jordan, and Lebanon. CostCo's
> oil, from Italy I believe, is a great deal.

You are lucky, we don't have as many choices... I usually prefer the
Spanish or Italian produced olive oils over the Greek that we can get
here. With one exception.. something called "Aegean Gold" - which is
Greek. Good stuff (when I can find it).
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:14:18 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head
> >> of (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
> >>
> >> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

> > Coffee; get more anytime there's less than two pounds left.
> > Cream. HEAVY whipping cream. For the coffee. None of that powdered
> > plastic stuff for me!

> For me too

Powdered cream?

What's that?

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> I always have two levels of backup on that one. I keep cans of
> evaporated milk in stock as the first level backup and a jar of powdered
> creamer as the second level backup. Failing both I'd resort to tea.

I like milk in coffee and keep a can of the condensed stuff as a backup.
Ran out of milk the other morning and I punched a hole in the condensed
milk (in date) can and nothing came out. The contents shook like normal
liquid. I punched a larger hole in the can and when I shook it "chunky
style" milk glopped out. It had absolutely no smell to indicate it was
spoiled. I wondered if it had been overheated in processing or was the
residue in the canning machinery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

Are we talking perishables?

onions
garlic
celery
cheeses, various
milk
half&half
red or green peppers
tomatoes
butter
olive oil

Plus all the hundreds of non-perishables.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:43:53 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:14:18 +0200, Chatty Cathy wrote:
>
>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?

>The bare minumum is a couple forms of animal flesh, frozen or
>canned veggies, garlic and onions.
>
>-sw

We were talking about all this in chat last night.

My list is milk, seltzer, wine and heavy cream. I start to go into
panic mode if those start getting low. Oh, garlic and olive oil as
well.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Felice Friese wrote:
>>
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>>> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one
>>> head of (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>>>
>>> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call
>> it quits and go back to bed for the day.
>>
>> Felice

> I always have two levels of backup on that one. I keep cans of
> evaporated milk in stock as the first level backup and a jar of
> powdered creamer as the second level backup. Failing both I'd resort
> to tea.

I put milk in tea, too! (I'm a MIF - milk in first)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head of
> (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
>
> So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Hmmmmm, I think it's cheese. Or butter. Or sesame oil.
Or..........garlic, onion, fresh or frozen veggies, shoyu, vinegar,
tortillas, salsa, sour cream and homemade chicken stock. Wow, I think I
just created a meal or two out of that alone! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote
>
> > Felice Friese wrote:

> >> Milk for my morning coffee. If I don't have that on hand I just call it
> >> quits and go back to bed for the day.

> > If you tell me that it's "low fat" or "fat free" milk, I will also stay

in
> > bed tomorrow

> Haha, that's funny. When I saw this thread I right away thought
> light cream. I have to have it for my coffee and I make sure I never
> run out. Closest I get to running out is one backup container.
>
> Of course, I also make sure I never run out of cat food because
> that will make my life miserable, too, but that's another story.
>
> nancy

Oooooooh, I didn't even think of the cat food! Good answer!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Peter A > wrote:
>
> > In article >, cathy1234
> > @mailinator.com says...
> > > For instance: I have a "panic attack" if I get down to only one head

of
> > > (white skinned) garlic in my kitchen...
> > >
> > > So what do *you* always make sure you have in stock?
> > > --
> > >

> > Lord, that would be a long list! A few things that come to mind:
> >
> > Garlic, indeed!
> > Onions
> > Olive oil
> > Rice
> > Eggs
> > Vinegar (balsamic and wine)
> > butter
> > pasta

> We may not agree on handguns, but we sure do agree on some of those
> ingredients. ;-)
>
> <hugs>
>
> I should have added rice, eggs and butter to my list!
> Thanks for the reminder.
> --
> Peace, Om

I listed very similar items, too. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Carrots, Onions, Celery, Salt free lemon pepper, Garlic, Fresh Ginger
> > root, and believe it or not, Broccoli! Dad loves that stuff. :-)
> >
> > Oh, and some kind of home made stock, and Olive Oil.

> Ohhh, I forgot the fresh ginger root - (how could I?)
>
> --

I keep (gasp!) powdered ginger root on hand just in case I'm out or the
ginger I have went bad.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Peter A > wrote:
> >
> > > In article >, cathy1234
> > > @mailinator.com says...

> of

> > > Lord, that would be a long list! A few things that come to mind:
> > >
> > > Garlic, indeed!
> > > Onions
> > > Olive oil
> > > Rice
> > > Eggs
> > > Vinegar (balsamic and wine)
> > > butter
> > > pasta

> > We may not agree on handguns, but we sure do agree on some of those
> > ingredients. ;-)
> >
> > <hugs>
> >
> > I should have added rice, eggs and butter to my list!
> > Thanks for the reminder.
> > --
> > Peace, Om
> >

> I listed very similar items, too. :~)
>
> kili

I noticed that! <lol>

Seems that most people that cook have a lot in common.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.