Kate B

Default Chicago Cubs Menu Reprise

I was hoping for some help with my Chicago Cubs pennant race menu but I
neglected to really explain what I was looking for so I got what I deserved
;-(. Google was of little help but I am slightly computer challenged .....
so that's probably my fault too.

My idea was to create a menu for a party that, hypothetically, could have
been served the *last* time the Cubs won the pennant in 1945. My thought
was to include dishes either made famous, manufactured or otherwise popular
in Chicago in the 1940's. I wanted to remove the fact that much of the
world was at war in 1945 although, by the time the pennant series began, VE
(Victory Europe) and VJ (Victory Japan) had already been declared. I didn't
want a "war deprivations" menu because that was pretty much a universal
phenomena .... so no "Victory gardens" this or that.

I chose three main course type dishes that were created/manufactured/made
famous in Chicago. Chicken Vesuvio was made famous in Chicago if not
created here; ditto with Shrimp de Jonge (which dates from a Chicago
restaurant in the 1920's); ditto with Vienna Red Hots which were served at
the World Columbian Exposition in the 19th century. I couldn't come up with
Chicago famous sides or desserts.

My choices are still pretty lame but in addition to the above I came up with
a dessert. It is Ann Sather's sticky cinnamon buns. Actually I am using
the pecan sticky bun recipe using brioche dough from "Baking with Julia". I
have made this before and it is *excellent*. My only thought for a
vegetable side was/is Burghoff's creamed spinach.

The party is tomorrow. The sticky bun thing is already in place but I can
serve them as a tasty non-dessert thing.

Help appreciated for improvements on the vegetable side and dessert thing.

Thanks to *GAR* for the thoughts on how to rethink the party using a semi
hot dog stand theme but my friends would be disillusioned if I don't do
things a wee bit more complicated. I have a reputation to uphold ;-).

Since it is *possible* that the Cubs could clinch the NLCS by tomorrow I
have little room for improvisation.

Kate (<--- feeling sad that Mike Royko couldn't be here to see this)

Jimmy Tango

> Since it is *possible* that the Cubs could clinch the NLCS by tomorrow I
> have little room for improvisation.
>
> Kate (<--- feeling sad that Mike Royko couldn't be here to see this)

And Harry Carray, too. Cubs win!

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Jimmy Tango" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > Since it is *possible* that the Cubs could clinch the NLCS by tomorrow I
> > have little room for improvisation.
> >
> > Kate (<--- feeling sad that Mike Royko couldn't be here to see this)
> >

> And Harry Carray, too. Cubs win!

Who do you think is carrying out the old saying 'from thier mouth to God's
ear?' You know Mike and Harry have especially good seats for this......

-Ginny
Who would love to see the Cubbies and BoSox in the series.