Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seeking advice on roast cut

Hi. I'm planning to try to recreate a simple meal that a small sandwich
shop in town used to make. The shop has been shut down now due to the
owner's retirement, and my kids and I miss his 'Dinner in a Cup' meal.

The owner/cook would take a roast and braise it overnight. Then he'd remove
the meat and shred it, and use Au Jois (sp) mix to make up a very rich dark
gravy. Then the meat would be added to the gravy, and layered in a pint
container with mashed potatoes. God it was good!!!

So I figure that if I cooked a roast in a crock pot and made gravy with AJ
mix, I should have a reasonable 'wannabe' meal.

My real question is advice on what kind of roast to get. The original cook
told me what cut he used, but I couldn't find it in the grocery store and
have now forgotten what he called it. I believe he said it came from one
end of a larger cut that round steaks come from. Anyone here have an idea?

I am also wondering if I should completely cover the roast, or use just a
cup or two of water since a crock pot usually requires less water when
cooking.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA
~~ Shelly ~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"~~ Shelly ~~" > wrote:

> Hi. I'm planning to try to recreate a simple meal that a small sandwich
> shop in town used to make. The shop has been shut down now due to the
> owner's retirement, and my kids and I miss his 'Dinner in a Cup' meal.
>
> The owner/cook would take a roast and braise it overnight. Then he'd remove
> the meat and shred it, and use Au Jois (sp) mix to make up a very rich dark
> gravy. Then the meat would be added to the gravy, and layered in a pint
> container with mashed potatoes. God it was good!!!
>
> So I figure that if I cooked a roast in a crock pot and made gravy with AJ
> mix, I should have a reasonable 'wannabe' meal.
>
> My real question is advice on what kind of roast to get. The original cook
> told me what cut he used, but I couldn't find it in the grocery store and
> have now forgotten what he called it. I believe he said it came from one
> end of a larger cut that round steaks come from. Anyone here have an idea?
>
> I am also wondering if I should completely cover the roast, or use just a
> cup or two of water since a crock pot usually requires less water when
> cooking.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> TIA
> ~~ Shelly ~~

Top or bottom round?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~~ Shelly ~~" > wrote in
:

> I am also wondering if I should completely cover the roast, or use
> just a cup or two of water since a crock pot usually requires less
> water when cooking.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

bottom round and use no water in the crock pot. Yeah radical I know, but
you'll get enough liquid from the roast. Why dilute the meat liquid with
water, which normally has no or little taste?...Maybe add some dried
minced onions and some garlic powder or even a pinch of crushed red
peppers hold the salt to a minimum till it's gravy time.

Add some beef bulion powder to the liquid that comes from the roast
after you de-fat not a lot just to add more beefiness. Consider browning
the roast before you crock pot it.

Look up a recipe by a great cook..Damsel in Distress I think it's called
Italian Beef sandwhiches in google groups for ideas.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 2007, hahabogus wrote:

> Look up a recipe by a great cook..Damsel in Distress
> I think it's called Italian Beef sandwhiches in google groups > for ideas.

Damsel's Italian Beef Sandwiches:

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides.
Place roast in large crockpot. Combine water and
remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour over roast; cook
on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate.
Strain broth into a storage container and refrigerate
until ready to use.