Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oregano: ground vs leaves

I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott > wrote:

>I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
>rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
>and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
>seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
>will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?

As a wild-ass guess, a teaspoon of leaves would be about 1/4 teaspoon
of ground.

But if your ground oregano is more than a few months old, and you
have a Mexican grocer nearby, a 99-cent package of Mexican oregano
leaves is your best bet.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
> rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
> and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
> seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
> will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?

I've never even heard of ground oregano? LOL
I have fresh growing, and dried in the freezer. When using fresh I use
more than dried. That's all I can tell you. I imagine ground would be
easy to go too heavy on, so perhaps you should add it cautiously and
increase to taste?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
> on how much sugar I should use.

None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to lasagna..?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
>> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
>> on how much sugar I should use.

> None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
> Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
> lasagna..?)

That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
just didn't seem right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused on
> how much sugar I should use.

Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott > wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:

>> Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
>> lasagna..?)

>That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
>uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
>just didn't seem right.

Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
>> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused on
>> how much sugar I should use.

> Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?

Nope, I've seen numerous recipes that call for sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
> >> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> >> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
> >> on how much sugar I should use.

> > None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
> > Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
> > lasagna..?)

> That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
> uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
> just didn't seem right.

Some people add sugar to their tomato sauce to be used with pasta. I'd
rather not, myself, although I'll eat it. Spaghetti sauce in the jar
isn't much different than tomato sauce from a can with added sugar and
salt, except it's more expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I imagine ground would be
> easy to go too heavy on, so perhaps you should add it cautiously and
> increase to taste?

That's exactly why I ask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> "Scott" > wrote in message
>>> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for
>>> no sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm
>>> confused on how much sugar I should use.

>> Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?
>>

> Nope, I've seen numerous recipes that call for sugar.

Don't do everything people tell you to do. I recently saw a recipe from
a very eager amateur whose recipes in the main are good. It had 4
ingredients, every one of them a fake food. The last ingredient was
Cool Whip. His last word was "Enjoy!" I just said no.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Scott > wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
>>> lasagna..?)

>> That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
>> uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
>> just didn't seem right.

> Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
> sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
> This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.
>
> Steve

For sure, but someone must like the industrial taste because it is
getting more difficult to find tomato sauces or dishes made with
tomatoes that aren't loaded with sugar and salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
> on how much sugar I should use.

After doing some intense searching on google I found this:

Adding sugar or salt - both of which have a natural affinity with tomatoes
- should be a personal preference and not to counteract and mask a problem.
A little sugar, just to enhance the tomato's natural sweetness yet not
enough
to be noticed at first taste is all that is needed.
The amount will vary from batch to batch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote

>> Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
>> sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
>> This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.
>> Steve

> For sure, but someone must like the industrial taste because it is
> getting more difficult to find tomato sauces or dishes made with
> tomatoes that aren't loaded with sugar and salt.

And what can the reason be? They pick theyr tomatoes underripe to cut
times on soil and have longer produce life, then add sugar based to
make up for un-ripeness. Thay probably should be using some
anti-acidic to reduce the acidity of un-ripe tomatoes.
Here in Italy it's getting the same, many brands already sell
sugar-added tomato sauce, while the ingredients' list used to read
just "Pomodori, sale" (Tomatoes, salt).
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that
>> call for no sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of
>> sugar so now I'm confused on how much sugar I should use.

> After doing some intense searching on google I found this:
>
> Adding sugar or salt - both of which have a natural affinity
> with tomatoes
> - should be a personal preference and not to counteract and
> mask a problem.
> A little sugar, just to enhance the tomato's natural sweetness
> yet not enough
> to be noticed at first taste is all that is needed.
> The amount will vary from batch to batch.

This is the most sensible post I've seen in this thread on the
subject of sugar in Italian sauces. The first time I ever ate a
homecooked meal with an Italian family, I was surprised that the
lady of the house added about a tablespoon of sugar to her
spaghetti sauce for 8 people. It *was* good and I've always
added a little despite the pundits who profess themselves
horrified.

I grow oregano and it is less pungent than the dried. I would
use half a cup of fresh chopped oregano or a tablespoon of
dried.
--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
> uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
> just didn't seem right.

Making a marinara sauce for spaghetti is dirt easy. Then you can add
salt or sugar to taste. I have used a half tsp of sugar occasionally to
cut down on the tang of canned diced tomatoes. I think homemade is way
better than store bought and much cheaper too.
On the other hand, what I make may not be spaghetti sauce, but I use it
anyway.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
>> rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
>> and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
>> seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
>> will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?

> I've never even heard of ground oregano? LOL
> I have fresh growing, and dried in the freezer. When using fresh I use
> more than dried. That's all I can tell you. I imagine ground would be
> easy to go too heavy on, so perhaps you should add it cautiously and
> increase to taste?

Dried oregano leaves usually concentrate the flavor of the herb. Good
rule of thumb is twice as many teaspoons, or other unit of measure, of
fresh leaves compared to dried. I dehydrate my own oregano for
wintertime use and usually just crush it in my hand before adding to
whatever I'm cooking. Same with thyme and basil.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 5:36 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
>The first time I ever ate a
> homecooked meal with an Italian family, I was surprised that the
> lady of the house added about a tablespoon of sugar to her
> spaghetti sauce for 8 people. It *was* good and I've always
> added a little despite the pundits who profess themselves
> horrified.
> Jim Silverton

My grandmother (b.1893) of German descent 'always' added sugar to
tomatoes (garden tomatoes). To me, a pinch of sugar added to any kind
of canned tomatoes is de rigeur.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 6:49 pm, George Shirley > wrote:

> Dried oregano leaves usually concentrate the flavor of the herb. Good
> rule of thumb is twice as many teaspoons, or other unit of measure, of
> fresh leaves compared to dried. I dehydrate my own oregano for
> wintertime use and usually just crush it in my hand before adding to
> whatever I'm cooking. Same with thyme and basil.
>
> George

I thought it was 1 to 3 - dried to fresh.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
> on how much sugar I should use.

Do whatever results in the flavor you like best. There's no wrong or
right answer. Trial and error is how most cooks get their best results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> On Jun 7, 6:49 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Dried oregano leaves usually concentrate the flavor of the herb. Good
>>rule of thumb is twice as many teaspoons, or other unit of measure, of
>>fresh leaves compared to dried. I dehydrate my own oregano for
>>wintertime use and usually just crush it in my hand before adding to
>>whatever I'm cooking. Same with thyme and basil.
>>
>>George

> I thought it was 1 to 3 - dried to fresh.
> Dee Dee

Depends on the herb and how it was processed. I use a dehydrator but
sometimes just put the leaves out on the cabinet on a towel to air dry.
The latter usually has a stronger flavor. We use a lot of herbs just for
gifts to family and friends during the holiday season so I generally
dehydrate them.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
> sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
> on how much sugar I should use.

NO sugar in lasagna!!

None.

Nope.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Actually adding sugar to the sauce cuts down on the acidity that the tomatoes naturally add. You can alternatively use carrots or another vegetable high in sugar..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2017 10:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The way to correct an over-acidic sauce is with tiny sprinklings of

https://gph.is/28TNcst
Posted to rec.food.cooking

HMU

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............miken
Email

hello we are leading suppliers of pharmaceutical product meds online we operate on daily and retails basis and very reliable and our product are 100% top quality am ready to supply on large and smaller orders and i am looking in building a strong business relationship with potential client around the world i do world wide delivery and delivery is guarantee.
see price list offer and pm me or you can get me on whatsapp

FOR ZOLPICLONE 7.5MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

FOR DIAZEPAM SHALINA BRAND
diazepam 10mg 500pills £100
diazepam 10mg 300pills £70
diazepam 10mg 1000pills £150
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £350
diazepam 5mg 1000pills £120
diazepam 5mg 5000pills £300
diazepam 5mg 10000pills £500
diazepam 10mg 10000pills £700

FOR ROCHE DIAZEPAMS 10MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

TEVA 10MG DIAZEPAMS SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs...........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs.......................£850
15000 tabs.......................£1200
25000 tabs.......................£1500
ketamine £20 each vial/1g
ketamine powder each gram £25

FOR TRAMADOL APPLE FLAVOUR
tramadol 50mg 250pills £80
tramadol 100mg 300pills £90
tramadol 225mg 300pills £120
tramadol 50mg 500pills £130
tramadol 100mg 500pills £140
tramadol 250mg 500pills £150
tramadol 50mg 1000pills £200
tramadol 100mg 1000pills £220
tramadol 250mg 1000pills £250

FOR TRAMADOL BULK ORDER
tramadol 50mg 5000pills £450
tramadol 100mg 5000pills £550
tramadol 250mg 5000pills £700

i also have my delivery records all around the worlds and i providedated pictures with buyers name and my name CALL US OR TEXT ....+17546663823 email for detailsi supply more than the quantity listed,i give additional discount to more larger ordersi look forward in doing great business with reliable buyersthanks email for details kushpharma35

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............miken
Email :

Cuban Oregano ??? pltrgyst[_4_] General Cooking 3 30-11-2013 11:13 PM
Oregano Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 39 09-10-2012 03:38 PM
Oregano The Cook Preserving 35 30-05-2012 07:50 PM
Fresh ground Nutmeg/Cinnamon vs. the pre-ground spice jar type [email protected] General Cooking 20 24-04-2008 04:32 AM
ground ostrich, ground buffalo Julia Altshuler General Cooking 17 30-03-2004 02:41 PM