FoodBanter.com

-   -   Baby burned by oil (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/125516-baby-burned-oil.html)

Virginia Tadrzynski 05-06-2007 03:35 PM

Baby burned by oil

I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to climb
on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves. Is there an epidemic of
stupid, irresponsible, negligent or sometimes downright criminal people
breeding more lately?
-ginny

Allentown, PA Morning Call - Last Updated: June 5, 2007
Toddler, 1, Badly Burned by Hot Oil from Stove
Allentown, PA
A 1-year-old toddler burned nearly half his body with hot cooking oil Monday
night when he tipped a pan off the stove in his Allentown home, police said.

The burns appear to be accidental but police are investigating, which is
customary, said Ronald Manescu, assistant police chief.
It happened about 10:20 p.m. in an apartment at 738 Gordon St., Manescu
said, without giving the victim's name. Someone in the home was preparing to
cook french fries and heated the pan of oil, Manescu said.

The 1-year-old climbed on the stove and tipped the handle of the pan,
splashing himself with hot oil. He was burned over 40 percent of his body,
Manescu said. He said it appears the toddler will recover from his burns.

Peter[_6_] 05-06-2007 03:42 PM

Baby burned by oil

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to
>climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves. Is there an
>epidemic of stupid, irresponsible, negligent or sometimes downright
>criminal people breeding more lately?
> -ginny

I would almost say they are doing OK if they have a 1 year old kid smart
enough and coordinated enough to climb up onto a counter at the age of 1.
He just got a lesson in hot oil too.

-L. 05-06-2007 04:51 PM

Baby burned by oil

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to climb
> on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves. Is there an epidemic of
> stupid, irresponsible, negligent or sometimes downright criminal people
> breeding more lately?
> -ginny

My son could have. He walked on his 10-month birthday, ran two weeks
later, and could easily climb out of his playpen.

Parents were negligent in this case, though. Sadly, this sort of
incident happens quite frequently.

-L.

JoeSpareBedroom 05-06-2007 05:09 PM

Baby burned by oil

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to
>climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves. Is there an
>epidemic of stupid, irresponsible, negligent or sometimes downright
>criminal people breeding more lately?
> -ginny

As I've pointed out before, two recent and accurate surveys prove that about
54% of the population is simply stupid. Incidents like this are the result.

Express! Signs & Banners 05-06-2007 05:39 PM

Baby burned by oil

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
.. Is there an epidemic of
> stupid, irresponsible, negligent or sometimes downright criminal people
> breeding more lately?
> -ginny

I understand what your saying, but my parents where neither abusive or
negligent and I managed at
a year old to scoot into the kitchen and grab the cord from the percolator
that was just barely hanging
over the edge of the counter. Yes, you could say that in a way my parents
were negligent. But they were so
vigilant with everything else and it is amazing what small children and
animals can get into, onto and around.
Luckily the scalding coffee missed my face and head and all I have left are
some faint scarring on my right arm
and tummy. Not saying the parents aren't at fault, just saying that they
aren't necessarily at fault.

Lisa aka Pagemaster

zxcvbob 05-06-2007 05:54 PM

Baby burned by oil

Does everybody dig up horrific news items and post them here? Awful
things happen every day, and they always have. The local news just
wasn't broadcast (until recently) for all the world to sift with one's
favorite search engine.

Post to alt.dead-baby or something.

Bob

Becca 05-06-2007 05:58 PM

Baby burned by oil

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> As I've pointed out before, two recent and accurate surveys prove that about
> 54% of the population is simply stupid. Incidents like this are the result.

This was in yesterday's news, a grandmother poured scalding hot coffee
on her granddaughter - intentionally!

http://tinyurl.com/23e7wo

Becca

MareCat 05-06-2007 06:27 PM

Baby burned by oil

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to
>climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves.

My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around and
climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by the
stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to reach the
handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.

Mary

Giusi 05-06-2007 06:36 PM

Baby burned by oil

MareCat wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>> I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to
>> climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves.

> My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around and
> climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by the
> stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to reach the
> handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.
>
> Mary

Was she up at 10:20?

Goomba38 05-06-2007 06:41 PM

Baby burned by oil

MareCat wrote:

> My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around and
> climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by the
> stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to reach the
> handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.
>
> Mary

"Pull Down Injuries" (burns) are VERY common at that age.
Goomba <--Advanced Burn Life Support certified

jmcquown 05-06-2007 06:51 PM

Baby burned by oil

Becca wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> As I've pointed out before, two recent and accurate surveys prove
>> that about 54% of the population is simply stupid. Incidents like
>> this are the result.

> This was in yesterday's news, a grandmother poured scalding hot coffee
> on her granddaughter - intentionally!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/23e7wo
>
> Becca

"the little girl missed her turn to ride in a horse-riding competition"
Well gee, there's a grandmother whose priorities are in the *wrong* place!
Sheesh! What is wrong with some people?!

Jill

The Usual Suspect[_2_] 05-06-2007 06:52 PM

Baby burned by oil

On Jun 5, 10:41 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> MareCat wrote:
> > My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around and
> > climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by the
> > stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to reach the
> > handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.

> > Mary

> "Pull Down Injuries" (burns) are VERY common at that age.
> Goomba <--Advanced Burn Life Support certified

When these things come up, why do we always turn a blind eye to two
possibilities: drugs and alcohol? They don't call it "dope" for
nothing, and "booze" rhymes with "wooze" for a reason.

Also, cooking accidents and hot & nasty food safety issues are, indeed
relevant to this group. The originator did a great job by writing a
descriptive topic which makes it easy to pass over the topic if we
don't want to read the details.

Thank you verry much. Elvis-ettta has left the room.

Steve Pope 05-06-2007 07:42 PM

Baby burned by oil

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been
> able to climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves.

If the kid is 1 year 11 months, he would be reported as one
year old in the media.

Sad incident this, but it's good that the prognosis is full recovery.

Steve

Mark Thorson 05-06-2007 10:56 PM

Fried Alive !!! (was: Baby burned by oil)

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able
> to climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves.

I would have given this thread a much snappier
subject line. :-)

blake murphy 05-06-2007 10:59 PM

Baby burned by oil

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:52:06 -0700, The Usual Suspect
> wrote:

>On Jun 5, 10:41 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
>> MareCat wrote:
>> > My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around and
>> > climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by the
>> > stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to reach the
>> > handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.

>> > Mary

>> "Pull Down Injuries" (burns) are VERY common at that age.
>> Goomba <--Advanced Burn Life Support certified

>When these things come up, why do we always turn a blind eye to two
>possibilities: drugs and alcohol? They don't call it "dope" for
>nothing, and "booze" rhymes with "wooze" for a reason.

i hardly think the kid was drunk.

your pal,
blake

The Usual Suspect[_2_] 06-06-2007 06:07 AM

Baby burned by oil

On Jun 5, 2:59 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:52:06 -0700, The Usual Suspect
>

> > wrote:

> >> "Pull Down Injuries" (burns) are VERY common at that age.
> >> Goomba <--Advanced Burn Life Support certified

> >When these things come up, why do we always turn a blind eye to two
> >possibilities: drugs and alcohol? They don't call it "dope" for
> >nothing, and "booze" rhymes with "wooze" for a reason.

> i hardly think the kid was drunk.
>
> your pal,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

The parents or sitters, Blake. It's about the parents or sitters!
You so funny.

-L. 06-06-2007 08:10 AM

Baby burned by oil

The Usual Suspect wrote:

> > "Pull Down Injuries" (burns) are VERY common at that age.
> > Goomba <--Advanced Burn Life Support certified

> When these things come up, why do we always turn a blind eye to two
> possibilities: drugs and alcohol? They don't call it "dope" for
> nothing, and "booze" rhymes with "wooze" for a reason.

These sorts of tragedies often happen to people who are attentive and
generally good parents. No one can keep a child, especially a
toddler, out of harm's way 100% of the time. This is one reason I
never, ever, leave the kitchen when I have anything hot on the stove.
That being said, a toddler is quick and turning your back for a
second, for example, to throw something away, can be enough time for
them to pounce and get hurt on something. Then there are the cases
where kids have abilities that you don't know they have. My kid
locked me outside of my own house at 11 months.

-L.

MareCat 06-06-2007 03:12 PM

Baby burned by oil

"Giusi" > wrote in message
.. .
> MareCat wrote:
>> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>>> I have had four kids, none of which, at age 1, would have been able to
>>> climb on top of the stove to pour oil over themselves.

>> My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around
>> and climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by
>> the stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to
>> reach the handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.
>>
>> Mary

> Was she up at 10:20?

Not usually. I was wondering about that, too, but maybe there was a good
reason for him to have been up that late.

Mary

Giusi 06-06-2007 03:21 PM

Baby burned by oil

MareCat wrote:
> "Giusi" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> MareCat wrote:
>>> My oldest daughter started walking at nine months and was running around
>>> and climbing pretty well by 11 months. If there had been a step-stool by
>>> the stove, she could have easily climbed onto it and then been able to
>>> reach the handle of a pot sitting on the stovetop.
>>>
>>> Mary

>> Was she up at 10:20?

> Not usually. I was wondering about that, too, but maybe there was a good
> reason for him to have been up that late.
>
> Mary

Sounds like he was cooking up a snack for mum and dad.

Virginia Tadrzynski 06-06-2007 03:55 PM

Baby burned by oil

"The Usual Suspect" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 5, 2:59 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:52:06 -0700, The Usual Suspect
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >When these things come up, why do we always turn a blind eye to two
>> >possibilities: drugs and alcohol? They don't call it "dope" for
>> >nothing, and "booze" rhymes with "wooze" for a reason.

>> i hardly think the kid was drunk.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake- Hide quoted text -

> The parents or sitters, Blake. It's about the parents or sitters!
> You so funny.

My whole point was this wasn't a 'pull down' accident, the kid actually
climbed on the stove and poured the oil on himself. Where were the ones
making the french fries at the time?
-ginny

jmcquown 06-06-2007 04:18 PM

Baby burned by oil

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "The Usual Suspect" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> On Jun 5, 2:59 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:52:06 -0700, The Usual Suspect

>>> i hardly think the kid was drunk.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake- Hide quoted text -

>> The parents or sitters, Blake. It's about the parents or sitters!
>> You so funny.
>>

> My whole point was this wasn't a 'pull down' accident, the kid
> actually climbed on the stove and poured the oil on himself. Where
> were the ones making the french fries at the time?
> -ginny

Technically he tipped the handle and splashed himself. But yes, where was
the person who was heating the oil? Even without kids around I very rarely
walk off and leave oil heating on the stove. It's too easy to become
distracted.

Jill

Jill

Marie[_1_] 10-06-2007 03:10 PM

Baby burned by oil

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:10:56 -0700, "-L." >
wrote:

>where kids have abilities that you don't know they have. My kid
>locked me outside of my own house at 11 months.

So how did that happen, and how did it turn out? What's cute, but
aggravating when it happens, is how the kid thinks what they're doing
is so fun!
Marie