Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poll: Most Missed Cooking Shows

Off the top of my head I'd say:

*Two Fat Ladies
*Mario Eats Italy
*Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
*The Best Of

I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

"The French Chef" (Julia Child)
"Taste" (David Rosengarten)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

"The French Chef" (Julia Child)
"Taste" (David Rosengarten)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Christopher M. wrote:
>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>> *Two Fat Ladies
>> *Mario Eats Italy
>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>> *The Best Of
>>
>> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> "The French Chef" (Julia Child)
> "Taste" (David Rosengarten)

I think I remember watching David Rosengarten interview a chef from South
Carolina once. This chef referred to his dish as a 'peasant dish'. David
appeared to be incensed by this description.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 11:17 pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of

I miss Mario already. I love his cooking, his techniques, his
education, his smiling disposition, and his big fat body.
Mario, I miss you!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:

> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I miss "The Great Chefs of . . . . " At least I think that was the name
of the show (?). Or, was it "The Great Restaurants of . . . ."??? I
think it's the former. Anywho, I've always enjoyed the presentation of
that show, with its lady narrator. And the background music was
enjoyable, too.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Most Missed Cooking Shows

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

That big ol' ragin' Cajun fellar who always slurped up a swallow of the wine
for his cooking. He always added lots of "on-yawns." Think his name started
with a "P"?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>> *Two Fat Ladies
>> *Mario Eats Italy
>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>> *The Best Of
>>
>> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> That big ol' ragin' Cajun fellar who always slurped up a swallow of the wine
> for his cooking. He always added lots of "on-yawns." Think his name started
> with a "P"?
> Edrena

That was Justin Wilson.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > "Christopher M." > wrote in message
> >> Off the top of my head I'd say:
> >>
> >> *Two Fat Ladies
> >> *Mario Eats Italy
> >> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> >> *The Best Of
> >>
> >> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
> >>

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > That big ol' ragin' Cajun fellar who always slurped up a swallow of the wine
> > for his cooking. He always added lots of "on-yawns." Think his name started
> > with a "P"?
> > Edrena
> >

> That was Justin Wilson.
>
> Bob

While channel surfing the other day, I surprisingly came across one of
Justin Wilson's old shows. What a classic, "hooo-ee"! He's up there
with Julia when it came to pioneering television shows about cooking.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:17:25 GMT, "Christopher M."
> magnanimously proffered:

>Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
>*Two Fat Ladies
>*Mario Eats Italy
>*Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>*The Best Of
>
>I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Antonio Carluccio

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:47:57 +1200, bob >
magnanimously proffered:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:17:25 GMT, "Christopher M."
> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>>*Two Fat Ladies
>>*Mario Eats Italy
>>*Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>>*The Best Of
>>
>>I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>>

>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

>Antonio Carluccio

And going back a fair few years: Hudson & Halls (their television show
and their restaurant)

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:

> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
watch.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Christopher M. wrote:
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Julia- any show she was in/on, I loved. I also loved Jacques Pepin
even though I don't cook anything like he does.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> "Taste" (David Rosengarten)

I miss David Rosengarten. He had real credentials, and he made a tuna
sandwich just like I do. Tuna, mayo and white bread. I'm older now and
need fiber, so I eat my tuna sandwiches on cracked wheat bread.
Nevertheless...

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> I also loved Jacques Pepin
> even though I don't cook anything like he does.

I am absolutely amazed at the scope of his culinary knowledge and skills
and with his ability to share it.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "-L." > wrote:
>

> > I also loved Jacques Pepin
> > even though I don't cook anything like he does.

> I am absolutely amazed at the scope of his culinary knowledge and skills
> and with his ability to share it.
>
> leo

Yes. I always found his shows very relaxing to watch (that accent!)
and interesting on many levels. He has a nice website: http://www.jacquespepin.net/

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks said...

> Christopher M. wrote:
>>
>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>> *Two Fat Ladies
>> *Mario Eats Italy
>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>> *The Best Of
>>
>> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
> watch.
>
> Sky

Yes!

I think his was probably the first "new age" (??) cooking show I ever
watched. I don't think FoodTV was even on the air back then.

He was a good natured and funny host. A very impromptu show.

The "Great Chefs of..." was a good one too.

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of

James Barber (The Urban Peasant)
Stephen Yan (Wok With Yan)
David Rosengarten (Taste)
Justin Wilson
Julia Child

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Skyhooks said...
>
>> Christopher M. wrote:
>>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>>
>>> *Two Fat Ladies
>>> *Mario Eats Italy
>>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>>> *The Best Of
>>>
>>> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>>>
>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
>> watch.
>>
>> Sky

> Yes!
>
> I think his was probably the first "new age" (??) cooking show I ever
> watched. I don't think FoodTV was even on the air back then.
>
> He was a good natured and funny host. A very impromptu show.
>
> The "Great Chefs of..." was a good one too.
>
> Imho,
>
> Andy

I miss David Rosengarten. He always cooked something that never seemed
complicated to make and he would eat it with great relish at the end of
each show, almost always drinking either wine or beer with it. His
shows were relaxed, entertaining and instructive.

Does anybody remember the one when he brought his two very young
daughters along, so he could introduce them the the pleasure of tasting
Madelaines for the first time? It did not turn out quite the way he
expected. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

For me its;

Keith Floyd
Rick Steins
Two Fat Ladies
Surfing the Menu
Jamie at Home

--
Cheers
Craig L

Conquer thyself, till thou has done this, thou art but a slave; for it is
almost as well to be subjected to another's appetite as to thine own.
Sir Richard Francis Burton

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anybody remember the one when he brought his two very young
> daughters along, so he could introduce them the the pleasure of tasting
> Madelaines for the first time? It did not turn out quite the way he
> expected. )

Sorry, this should have been "Madeleines" and here is a recipe for that
pastry

Madeleines (recipe from Epicurious)

2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Pinch of salt
1 cup all purpose flour
10 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
Powdered sugar

YIELDS ABOUT 20

Preheat oven to 375 F. Generously butter and flour pan for large
madeleines (about 3 x 1-1/4 inches – this metal mold with scallop-shaped
indentations is sold at cookware stores).

Using electric mixer, beat eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl
just to blend. Beat in vanilla, lemon peel and salt. Add flour; beat
just until blended. Gradually add cooled melted butter in steady stream,
beating just until blended.

Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each indentation in pan. Bake until
puffed and brown, about 16 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Gently remove from
pan. Repeat process, buttering and flouring pan before each batch. (Can
be made 1 day ahead.)

Dust cookies with powdered sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"the officious 411" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 4, 11:17 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>> *Two Fat Ladies
>> *Mario Eats Italy
>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>> *The Best Of

> James Barber (The Urban Peasant)
> Stephen Yan (Wok With Yan)
> David Rosengarten (Taste)
> Justin Wilson
> Julia Child

I met James Barber once, about 10 years ago. He was a real ass, maybe I
caught him on a bad day. Decent show though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote on Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:34:05 GMT:

P> "the officious 411" > wrote in message
P> ups.com...
??>> On Jun 4, 11:17 pm, "Christopher M."
??>> > wrote:
??>>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
??>>>
??>>> *Two Fat Ladies
??>>> *Mario Eats Italy
??>>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
??>>> *The Best Of
??>>
??>> James Barber (The Urban Peasant)
??>> Stephen Yan (Wok With Yan)
??>> David Rosengarten (Taste)
??>> Justin Wilson
??>> Julia Child

I have never regularly watched cooking shows since Julia Child
and Joyce Chen (I think I got her name right but I tend to
remember her as "Julia Chen"!)

I'll admit that I have been known to watch Emeril and have a
sneaking liking for his show despite the hamming it up and the
obviously cued applause and laughter.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-05, Skyhooks > wrote:

> Justin Wilson's old shows. What a classic, "hooo-ee"! He's up there
> with Julia when it came to pioneering television shows about cooking.

I don't know if I agree with that, but he's definitely a pioneer in the
use of oven bags while drinking wine. Oooh-weee!....

If you love Justin, honk ...and plug his name into the Youtube search
box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziahxwbyXEI

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:17:25 GMT, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
>*Two Fat Ladies
>*Mario Eats Italy
>*Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>*The Best Of
>
>I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Well, not to the many favorites others have already mentioned, I miss
New Scandinavian Cooking with Tina Nordström asthe host. Not
necessarily because of the recipes, but bacuse her disposition was so
damn sexy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I miss that really old geezer, a French chef who was too old to
actually cook, but he creeped around and ask questions to other chefs,
like Burt Wolf. Was it something Raney, or Rene, or ...? He died a
few years back. He was on PBS.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:04 am, notbob > wrote:
> I miss that really old geezer, a French chef who was too old to
> actually cook, but he creeped around and ask questions to other chefs,
> like Burt Wolf. Was it something Raney, or Rene, or ...? He died a
> few years back. He was on PBS.
>
> nb

Pierre Franay?? He had a show called 60 minute meals or something
similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Franey

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Lessee...... The Frug, Anything with Julia, the 'original' Galloping
Gourmet, Justin Wilson, Martin Yan, Maryann Esposito, Pierre Franney, Paul
Prud'homme in his rolling chair around the kitchen. The best cooking shows
were on WHYY in Philly on Saturday afternoon........the common thread to all
of these.....PBS, not FoodTV.
-ginny
(who just bought a lot of ALL of Justin Wilson's cookbooks from the
mid-80's)

Oh, yes, the Fat Ladies as well......they didn't give a rip who liked them
or their methods.....none of this must play to the sponsor crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 8:23 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-06-05, Skyhooks > wrote:
>
> > Justin Wilson's old shows. What a classic, "hooo-ee"! He's up there
> > with Julia when it came to pioneering television shows about cooking.

I recall reading that he used to charge people to be a member of his
audience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 2:58 am, Skyhooks > wrote:
> What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
> watch.

His enthusiam was contagious. He got lots and lots of folks
interested in cooking, including myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>
> *Two Fat Ladies
> *Mario Eats Italy
> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
> *The Best Of
>
> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.

I liked the old Galloping Gourmet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
> watch.
>
> Sky

He was one of my favorites!

What series was it with Julia Child where she had different famous chefs
each episode?

I remember her cooking Jacques Pepin and they would argue about the
ingredients and how much. I'm not sure if it was him, but one time he
was trying to keep the dish a bit on the lower fat side and she just
kept adding butter.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>
>> Off the top of my head I'd say:
>>
>> *Two Fat Ladies
>> *Mario Eats Italy
>> *Jamie's (Oliver) Kitchen
>> *The Best Of
>>
>> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.

> I liked the old Galloping Gourmet.

Yes, definitely the Galloping Gourmet prior to his
religious and health-foods conversion, the shows
that he made with a glass of wine in his hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen wrote:

> > What about Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"? His shows were fun to
> > watch.
> >
> > Sky

> He was one of my favorites!
>
> What series was it with Julia Child where she had different famous chefs
> each episode?
>
> I remember her cooking Jacques Pepin and they would argue about the
> ingredients and how much. I'm not sure if it was him, but one time he
> was trying to keep the dish a bit on the lower fat side and she just
> kept adding butter.
>
> --
> Queenie

I think that show was "Cooking with Julia" -- it's one I enjoyed very
much, too.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-05, Skyhooks > wrote:

> I think that show was "Cooking with Julia" -- it's one I enjoyed very
> much, too.

Third time I've posted this in a week. Does anyone actually read this
group?

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/about.html

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> "
> >>
> >> I think Food Finds is still on at 4:30 AM on The Food Network.

> > I liked the old Galloping Gourmet.

> Yes, definitely the Galloping Gourmet prior to his
> religious and health-foods conversion, the shows
> that he made with a glass of wine in his hand.

Half a glass.... and an almost empty bottle on the table :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> "Great Chefs of the World", narrated by Mary Lou Conroy (I always
> wondered what she looked like)
>
> Pure cooking, absolutely no fluff. Compare that to Emeril.

I would like to see Emeril without his crew of prep staff. He made some
great dishes. I have tried some of his recipes and they turned out great,
but I did not appreciate his catering to the oohs and aahs of his audience
where he made a big deal of adding a lot of some flavourful ingredients to
give the impression that if a little is good a lot os better, like when he
would had a tablespoon of chopped garlic and say it was 20-30 cloves, or
pouring a bunch of Gran Marnier on something were a half ounce would have
been the proper amount.

There was a great show I watched a few years ago about an English woman who
was cooking in Italy. She had a nice style and did some interesting
dishes. Sorry but I don't remember her name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 8:41 am, Abe > wrote:

> Well, not to the many favorites others have already mentioned, I miss
> New Scandinavian Cooking with Tina Nordström asthe host. Not
> necessarily because of the recipes, but bacuse her disposition was so
> damn sexy.

Isn't Tina on PBS still? I've seen her name -- perhaps it's old re-
runs?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can't find any reference to it on the web but I remember James Beard on a
TV cooking show (B&W) from the 1950s (??).

I only saw one episode. Was it a series or just a fluke?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> pavane wrote:
>> "
>>>
>>> I liked the old Galloping Gourmet.

>> Yes, definitely the Galloping Gourmet prior to his
>> religious and health-foods conversion, the shows
>> that he made with a glass of wine in his hand.

> Half a glass.... and an almost empty bottle on the table :-)

He became a HUGE BORE after the heart attack. Made my skin crawl almost.
He was charming, witty and fun before that.

tv cooking shows piedmont Barbecue 7 24-07-2009 12:05 AM
Cooking shows on new TV... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 5 11-02-2009 04:49 PM
Cooking Shows Annonymous Account General Cooking 15 09-01-2007 04:05 AM
I missed the 'cooking chicken on the gas grill spit' posts......... *JimH* General Cooking 16 05-08-2005 02:49 AM
Cooking Cranberry Beans-sorry, missed answers Kswck General Cooking 6 05-10-2003 04:42 PM