Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blueberry Boy Bait

I got a free magazine in the mail a week or two ago, and I
guess most of you did. Cook's Country, it's related to
Cook's Illustrated.

There was a recipe in it for Blueberry Boy Bait, you make it
in a 9X13 baking dish. Came out really well, considering my
minimal baking skills.

Thing is, the batter had a really weird consistency, like a weird
peanut butter. Almost plasticy. Do you think it's because I left
the butter out overnight? I took it out of the freezer and promptly
forgot all about it. I used salted butter, I'm a wild one like that.
And dark brown sugar.

Blueberry Boy Bait

2 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup blueberries

Topping:
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 350.
Grease and flour 9X13 baking pan.

Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt together in a
medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat butter and sugars on
medium high until fluffy , about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a
time, beating until just incorporated. Reduce speed to medium
and beat in 1/3 flour mixture until incorporated, beat in half of the
milk, then flour, then milk, finally flour.

Toss blueberries in remaining 1 teaspoon flour. Using rubber
spatula, fold in blueberries. Spread batter into pan.

For the topping(*), scatter blueberries over top of batter. Mix
cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over batter. Bake 45 to 50
minutes until done. Cool in pan 20 minutes, turn out and place
topping side up on a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.

*The recipe made a very small amount of topping which I found
impossible to sprinkle evenly over the whole cake. I made more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
>I got a free magazine in the mail a week or two ago, and I
> guess most of you did. Cook's Country, it's related to
> Cook's Illustrated.
>
> There was a recipe in it for Blueberry Boy Bait, you make it
> in a 9X13 baking dish. Came out really well, considering my
> minimal baking skills.

Can we talk about the name of the recipe? Is this supposed to be placed in a
trap, to catch a male?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> There was a recipe in it for Blueberry Boy Bait, you make it
>> in a 9X13 baking dish. Came out really well, considering my
>> minimal baking skills.

> Can we talk about the name of the recipe? Is this supposed to be placed in
> a trap, to catch a male?

Precisely.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 8:02 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I got a free magazine in the mail a week or two ago, and I
> guess most of you did. Cook's Country, it's related to
> Cook's Illustrated.

Did you like the magazine? Mine is still sitting here and I've not
been inspired as of yet. Perhaps.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote

> On Jun 4, 8:02 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> I got a free magazine in the mail a week or two ago, and I
>> guess most of you did. Cook's Country, it's related to
>> Cook's Illustrated.
>>

> Did you like the magazine? Mine is still sitting here and I've not
> been inspired as of yet. Perhaps.

I don't have a strong opinion about it, to be honest. Can't put
my finger on why I don't subscribe. Maybe you could look
through it and give me my opinion? (laugh) I like it well enough.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> There was a recipe in it for Blueberry Boy Bait, you make it
>>> in a 9X13 baking dish. Came out really well, considering my
>>> minimal baking skills.

>> Can we talk about the name of the recipe? Is this supposed to be placed
>> in a trap, to catch a male?

> Precisely.
>
> nancy

Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not good
enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and you've got a
buffet.

:-) :-) :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote

> On 4-Jun-2007, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Thing is, the batter had a really weird consistency, like a weird
>> peanut butter. Almost plasticy. Do you think it's because I left
>> the butter out overnight? I took it out of the freezer and promptly
>> forgot all about it. I used salted butter, I'm a wild one like that.
>> And dark brown sugar.

> Did you use fresh, canned or frozen blueberries?

I used fresh. I'm not inclined to make cake normally, so if fresh
isn't available (and good), I wouldn't think to make this. The
recipe did say you could used frozen, of course, just don't
thaw them.

> I have a favorite recipe
> whose dough is as you describe when I use frozen, rather than fresh,
> berries. Of course my recipe has lots of blueberries in comparison to
> yours.

(laugh) Oddly enough, I wasn't disappointed in how many
blueberries were in the cake, it was plenty. Probably appeared
that way since most of them sank to the bottom. Your recipe
certainly does have a lot of them.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Can we talk about the name of the recipe? Is this supposed to be placed
>>> in a trap, to catch a male?

>> Precisely.

> Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not
> good enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and
> you've got a buffet.
>
> :-) :-) :-)

Heh. Well, got me there. I certainly never caught anyone with my
baking.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not
> good enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and
> you've got a buffet.

Wait, I forgot to say this. You can google, you will find that
Blueberry Boy Bait is a common recipe, there are many variations.
I never heard of it before this magazine.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not
>> good enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and
>> you've got a buffet.

> Wait, I forgot to say this. You can google, you will find that
> Blueberry Boy Bait is a common recipe, there are many variations.
> I never heard of it before this magazine.
>
> nancy

Save some effort. Line up the blueberries on your belly, and whistle. If he
doesn't show up quickly, it's time for a personnel change, and pronto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 9:00 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote
>
> > On Jun 4, 8:02 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >> I got a free magazine in the mail a week or two ago, and I
> >> guess most of you did. Cook's Country, it's related to
> >> Cook's Illustrated.

> > Did you like the magazine? Mine is still sitting here and I've not
> > been inspired as of yet. Perhaps.

> I don't have a strong opinion about it, to be honest. Can't put
> my finger on why I don't subscribe. Maybe you could look
> through it and give me my opinion? (laugh) I like it well enough.
>
> nancy

Well, here goes. Perhaps it's trying a little to hard to look and
feel country-fied. With a little bit of the look of the grocery store
check-out stands"Family Circle" types, and ....

Dee Dee
Country

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Thing is, the batter had a really weird consistency, like a weird
> peanut butter. Almost plasticy. Do you think it's because I left
> the butter out overnight? I took it out of the freezer and promptly
> forgot all about it. I used salted butter, I'm a wild one like that.

The butter at my house (used nearly every day) sits out all the time -
that isn't what made the consistency weird.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

>> Thing is, the batter had a really weird consistency, like a weird
>> peanut butter. Almost plasticy. Do you think it's because I left
>> the butter out overnight? I took it out of the freezer and promptly
>> forgot all about it. I used salted butter, I'm a wild one like that.

> The butter at my house (used nearly every day) sits out all the time -
> that isn't what made the consistency weird.

Heh, I almost forgot my original question. I'll try making it again
one of these days and see if it does that again. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote

> On Jun 4, 9:00 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > Did you like the magazine? Mine is still sitting here and I've not
>> > been inspired as of yet. Perhaps.

>> I don't have a strong opinion about it, to be honest. Can't put
>> my finger on why I don't subscribe. Maybe you could look
>> through it and give me my opinion? (laugh) I like it well enough.

> Well, here goes. Perhaps it's trying a little to hard to look and
> feel country-fied. With a little bit of the look of the grocery store
> check-out stands"Family Circle" types, and ....

That's it, I think. Guess it's not so polished looking, that I'm
accustomed to.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:16:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

>>> Precisely.

>> Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not
>> good enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and
>> you've got a buffet.
>>
>> :-) :-) :-)

>Heh. Well, got me there. I certainly never caught anyone with my
>baking.
>
>nancy

many men prefer puddin'.

your pal,
georgie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:16:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>>"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Why would you want to attract someone for whom the woman herself is not
>>> good enough bait? :-) I mean, choose any 1"x1" spot on a woman, and
>>> you've got a buffet.

>>Heh. Well, got me there. I certainly never caught anyone with my
>>baking.
>>
>>nancy
>>

> many men prefer puddin'.
>
> your pal,