Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default An Introduction, Maybe?

Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some other
posts), but here goes briefly...
Glasswalker
Upper East Tennessee, USA
Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.

Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am probably
really ignorant on the subject.
Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).

Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.

Thanks!
-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:
> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some
> other posts), but here goes briefly...
> Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.
>
> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am
> probably really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!

Welcome - you helped me already today! It's a good group if you can
stand the heat at times.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glasswalker" > wrote in
news
> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of
> some other posts), but here goes briefly...
> Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary
> groups.
>
> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but
> am probably really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my
> fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!
> -Glasswalker-

Hi ya

It's a great group from the few months I read and posted here.

I wish I could keep up with all the great messages.

Welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:

> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some
> other posts), but here goes briefly... Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.
>
> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am
> probably really ignorant on the subject. Potatoes are always my back
> up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!
> -Glasswalker-

Welcome!

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:
> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some
> other posts), but here goes briefly...
> Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.

"Hey There" from Georgia.
Have you seen the RFC webpage that ChattyCathy organizes?
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/index.html

Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not yet. I basically got back into Usenet after years of leaching from the
web interface with EasyNews. Felt like it was time to give something back.

I honestly don't remember how I stumbled across RFC. I'm glad I did,
though.

-Glasswalker-

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Glasswalker wrote:
>> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some other
>> posts), but here goes briefly...
>> Glasswalker
>> Upper East Tennessee, USA
>> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.

> "Hey There" from Georgia.
> Have you seen the RFC webpage that ChattyCathy organizes?
> http://www.recfoodcooking.org/index.html
>
> Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glasswalker" > wrote

> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am probably
> really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.

Hey, Glasswalker, nice to meet you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:
> Not yet. I basically got back into Usenet after years of leaching from
> the web interface with EasyNews. Felt like it was time to give
> something back.
>
> I honestly don't remember how I stumbled across RFC. I'm glad I did,
> though.

One suggestion though- top posting is not the norm here in RFC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:23:07 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Glasswalker wrote:
>> Not yet. I basically got back into Usenet after years of leaching from
>> the web interface with EasyNews. Felt like it was time to give
>> something back.
>>
>> I honestly don't remember how I stumbled across RFC. I'm glad I did,
>> though.

>One suggestion though- top posting is not the norm here in RFC.

Put your replies where you wish, but trim those posts!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>One suggestion though- top posting is not the norm here in RFC.
>
> Put your replies where you wish, but trim those posts!

Gotcha. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant by top posting.
-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:

> -Glasswalker-

Hello, from Louisiana! Care to tell us how you got your name?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Glasswalker" > wrote in message
news
> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some other
> posts), but here goes briefly...
> Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.

Greetings and welcome from Extreme Upper East (Almost Tennessee AND North
Carolina) Georgia

Keith AKA KW

> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am probably
> really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!
> -Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-04, Glasswalker > wrote:

> Gotcha. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant by top posting.

You trimmed!! Thank you and welcome aboard. Have you visited the website?

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

New here too....seems like a nice group for food lovers like
myself....from the sunshine state...cheers,Smitty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:23:07 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:

> > One suggestion though- top posting is not the norm here in RFC.

> Put your replies where you wish

Don't listen to this bad advice.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Glasswalker wrote:
>
>> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some
>> other posts), but here goes briefly... Glasswalker
>> Upper East Tennessee, USA
>> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
>> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.
>>
>> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am
>> probably really ignorant on the subject. Potatoes are always my back
>> up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>>
>> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Glasswalker-

Welcome. Come sit down at our kitchen table and join in.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> You trimmed!! Thank you and welcome aboard. Have you visited the
> website?

I have, and found it rather impressive, and plan to spend some time there.
I honestly thought that I had been trimming in my replies, I guess when you
post at the top it's not as apparent.

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-04, J S > wrote:
> New here too....seems like a nice group for food lovers like
> myself....from the sunshine state...cheers,Smitty

Hi Smitty. Welcome aboard.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" >
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:19:21 -0500, Becca wrote:
>>> -Glasswalker-

>> Hello, from Louisiana! Care to tell us how you got your name?

> I figured it come from the fact he's been lurking here for a few
> days.
>
> -sw

Nope, my lurking habits have nothing to do with it. :^P
In short, Glass Walker is from a role-playing game I used to run for some
friends of mine years ago. A tribe of werewolves that deal more with, and
have an affinity for technology.

If you're interested, there's more here...
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofda.../Glass_Walkers

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Glasswalker" > wrote:

> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am probably
> really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!
> -Glasswalker-

Vitame vas!
What good Eastern European dishes are you interested in?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eastern European Dishes - Was An Introduction, Maybe?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote>
> Vitame vas!
> What good Eastern European dishes are you interested in?
> --

Honestly, I don't really know off the top of my head (sorry, been a long
day). I've tried making mititei before. Wasn't too bad, but I think it
could have been better. I made a recipe (I'll post it as soon as I can find
the paper it was scrawled on while cooking it) that uses pirogi, kielbasa,
peppers and the kitchen sink. I also recall trying to make something that
was like polenta, but turned out rather horrid. 'Authentic' stroganoff
using buckwheat kasha wasn't a hit, but I enjoyed it.

It's just one of those areas that you find yourself attracted to it in most
every way, but there's no good reason for it.

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:00:57 GMT, "Glasswalker"
> wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>>
>> You trimmed!! Thank you and welcome aboard. Have you visited the
>> website?
>>

>I have, and found it rather impressive, and plan to spend some time there.
>I honestly thought that I had been trimming in my replies, I guess when you
>post at the top it's not as apparent.

You're right! IMO: not trimming sticks out like a sore thumb when
you're a bottom poster because you make readers scroll down too far
for your response. Please understand, I'm not accusing *you* of
it.... but poor trimming is a common bottom poster's mistake.

With top posting, it doesn't matter if you trim or not - readers who
are familiar with the thread can see the reply without searching for
it and readers who aren't familiar with the thread can continue down
to familiarize themselves with it.

That's why I don't care how you post, but please be judicious if you
choose to bottom post.

Welcome to rfc!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jun 2007 02:58:20 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:23:07 -0400, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>> > One suggestion though- top posting is not the norm here in RFC.

>> Put your replies where you wish

>Don't listen to this bad advice.

and you can be a real asshole.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2007 02:58:20 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> >> Put your replies where you wish

> > Don't listen to this bad advice.
> >

> and you can be a real asshole.

Doing what I can.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jun 2007 04:36:36 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> On 4 Jun 2007 02:58:20 GMT, "Default User" >
>> wrote:

>> > Don't listen to this bad advice.
>> >

>> and you can be a real asshole.

>Doing what I can.

LOL

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:58:48 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:09:51 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:

>>> I figured it come from the fact he's been lurking here for a few
>>> days.

>> Nope, my lurking habits have nothing to do with it. :^P

>Well, posting here is like walking on glass sometimes.

Make that BROKEN glass.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:35:48 GMT, "Glasswalker"
> wrote:

>I've tried making mititei before.

Is your family Romanian? Eastern Europe comprises a lot of countries.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
>I've tried making mititei before.
>
> Is your family Romanian? Eastern Europe comprises a lot of countries.

That's the odd part of it. As far as I know, there's nothing even close to
that part of the world in my family. Irish, Welsh, Bohemian, Cherokee,
typical American I guess.

Just always liked the feel of that part of the world.

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Glasswalker" > wrote:

> Unsure as to whether or not to do this (seeing the distress of some other
> posts), but here goes briefly...
> Glasswalker
> Upper East Tennessee, USA
> Been cooking for almost 30 years now.
> Recently remembered that Usenet has more than just binary groups.
>
> Enjoys trying to come up with good Eastern European dishes but am probably
> really ignorant on the subject.
> Potatoes are always my back up (part Irish, so it's not my fault).
>
> Hope to stay around and learn and share with everyone.
>
> Thanks!
> -Glasswalker-

<waves>

Hiya! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker > wrote:

>"sf" wrote in message

>> Is your family Romanian? Eastern Europe comprises a lot of countries.

>That's the odd part of it. As far as I know, there's nothing even close to
>that part of the world in my family. Irish, Welsh, Bohemian, Cherokee,
>typical American I guess.

Wasn't Bohemia in Eastern Europe somewhere?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:09:51 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:

> >> I figured it come from the fact he's been lurking here for a few
> >> days.

> > Nope, my lurking habits have nothing to do with it. :^P

> Well, posting here is like walking on glass sometimes.
>
> -sw

Or hot coals... <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Glasswalker wrote:
>
>> -Glasswalker-

> Hello, from Louisiana! Care to tell us how you got your name?
>
> Becca

Welcome from me in Scotland too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Glasswalker > wrote:
>
>> "sf" wrote in message

>>> Is your family Romanian? Eastern Europe comprises a lot of countries.

>> That's the odd part of it. As far as I know, there's nothing even close to
>> that part of the world in my family. Irish, Welsh, Bohemian, Cherokee,
>> typical American I guess.

> Wasn't Bohemia in Eastern Europe somewhere?
>
> Steve

Apparently is used to be part of the Czech Republic...

http://education.yahoo.com/reference.../entry/Bohemia

--
-Gina in Italy

Sig Not Found.

If found, return to me promptly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:37:03 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Do we have to spell it *all* out? Everyone knows what it means
>to "walk on glass"...

No they don't. "Walk on glass" isn't the right term and those words
gave me a different mental image from "walk on *broken* glass".

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-04, sf <sf> wrote:

> gave me a different mental image from "walk on *broken* glass".

Yeah! Annie Lennox w/ short blonde hair. hubba hubba!....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
>> Wasn't Bohemia in Eastern Europe somewhere?
>>
>> Steve

> Apparently is used to be part of the Czech Republic...
>
> http://education.yahoo.com/reference.../entry/Bohemia

___________________________

Hunh. Learn something new every day. However, when growing up, and being
told by my mother that there was Bohemian blood in the line she was not
meaning it this way. She meant from the Bahamas, and there was a
possibility that one of our ancestors had land down there.

So I guess Bahamian, maybe? (Not enough coffee, yet.) She was also known
to butcher words, and not even realize it.

--
-Glasswalker-

"... anything defined surely loses its truth, for it becomes unmalleable and
unworkable. Truth is universal, and changes as what it describe changes."

-Anatole 09.05.99

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:

> Hunh. Learn something new every day. However, when growing up, and
> being told by my mother that there was Bohemian blood in the line she
> was not meaning it this way. She meant from the Bahamas, and there was
> a possibility that one of our ancestors had land down there.

So have you been attempting to make food from Eastern Europe without
knowing it wasn't in the Bahamas? LOL It is time to research some
island recipes

Sidenote: Bohemia, was a forest rich area which could provide the heat
that was required to make the gorgeous Bohemian crystal and glassware
that region is well known for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> It is time to research some island recipes

Actually, as odd as it sounds, I never have cared for 'island' or 'tropical'
cuisine at all.

-Glasswalker-

introduction wildflower General Cooking 6 27-02-2009 03:48 PM
New Guy Introduction [email protected] Sourdough 4 15-02-2008 08:47 AM
introduction Ed Johnson General Cooking 0 13-05-2007 10:21 PM
Introduction Ben Snyder Wine 74 01-09-2006 03:09 PM
Introduction Chase Pearson General 3 10-03-2005 01:33 AM