Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's in your frige unedited

What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
pictures of their unedited friges.
Lucky I heard about it close to shopping day or mine would be scarier
looking that it is.
Now remember that I live full time in a 5th wheel travel trailer (yes,
sniff,sniff, trailer trash ;-) so this is a very small frige.

Double dog dare you to show yours.

http://i17.tinypic.com/52foncw.gif

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/2

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:47:18 -0700, Koko wrote:

>What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
>pictures of their unedited friges.

It's an obligatory practice on the eGullet food blogs. If it isn't
done in the first day or so, the chorus gets louder and louder
demanding the fridge and freezer shots.
>Lucky I heard about it close to shopping day or mine would be scarier
>looking that it is.
>Now remember that I live full time in a 5th wheel travel trailer (yes,
>sniff,sniff, trailer trash ;-) so this is a very small frige.
>
>Double dog dare you to show yours.

Hmm..I will have to think about it...

>http://i17.tinypic.com/52foncw.gif

This brings me to an idea I just had... Wonder if we could do some
blogging here on rfc? Like one person blog for a week, showing pics
of what they are eating, cooking, or where they are going out to
dinner, etc.
When it first started on eGullet, it was a tag system to pick the next
blogger. The person with the smartass remarks often got tagged as the
next blogger. The one currently blogging picked the next person. It
was a lot of fun. The blogs are still going on over there on eGullet,
but they are more formal now, and the "blog czar" helps pick the
bloggers.

Christine, wondering how it would work here on rfc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> Christine, wondering how it would work here on rfc.

I for have neither time, skill at web page hosting, desire or inclanation
to do such. My fridge is a mess, but that doesn't play into...It's the
time consuming fiddlety bits I won't/can't do those...In other word I'm
artistically challanged, as well as being a poor speller and poor
writter. And those handicaps would require immense effort to overcome.
Due to that the endevor would, due to frustration and time restraints,
fall to the wayside quite quickly. Oh, another thing I'm too lazy. So
count me out. Not that that matters.

Hi my name is Alan and my fridge is a mess; quite frequently I find stuff
several years over it's expirary date, items that were once vegetable not
the present slime they are now and stuff I never knew I had. My fridge is
very full and I mean very full. I keep puting off a clean out, too lazy I
guess.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:47:18 -0700, Koko wrote:
>
>> What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
>> pictures of their unedited friges.

> It's an obligatory practice on the eGullet food blogs. If it isn't
> done in the first day or so, the chorus gets louder and louder
> demanding the fridge and freezer shots.

Heh, there's nothing that interesting in my fridge that anyone would really
care to see. Some butter, some eggs, beer, a little bit of wine (no more
than 1 glass left). Some vegetables, cheese and a few covered bowls
containing leftovers. Nothing terribly exciting or photo-worthy. I can't
imagine someplace *demanding* I take photos of the content of my
refrigerator.

Jill

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Koko" wrote in message ...
> What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
> pictures of their unedited friges.
> Lucky I heard about it close to shopping day or mine would be scarier
> looking that it is.
> Now remember that I live full time in a 5th wheel travel trailer (yes,
> sniff,sniff, trailer trash ;-) so this is a very small frige.
>
> Double dog dare you to show yours.
>
> http://i17.tinypic.com/52foncw.gif
>
> Koko

=============

Nah - I'll pass. Too tired to go downstairs, find the camera, take 30
pictures until I find the most flattering one and then try to remember how
to make it do what it's supposed to do... LOL

I am, however, jonesing for your New Mexico Pinon coffee... !! I adore that
stuff. As soon as they get our local Trader Joes built I'll be getting
some. Woo-hoo. I know I can get some online but I keep telling myself
it'll be a better treat for myself if I can just hold off a while; of
course, at this point in time it looks as though it'll be months before it's
built.

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:21:45 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Heh, there's nothing that interesting in my fridge that anyone would really
>care to see. Some butter, some eggs, beer, a little bit of wine (no more
>than 1 glass left). Some vegetables, cheese and a few covered bowls
>containing leftovers. Nothing terribly exciting or photo-worthy.

Not much happening in my refrigerator either and I'm not going to
label what's in it - everything is fairly obvious (those two tubs
under the cream cheese are Noah's cream cheese spreads. I plan to
make a quiche with some of that cheese you see in the bin tomorrow.

PS: I'm using the newest tinypic option called
"Direct Link for Layouts".
http://i11.tinypic.com/4zmhkqb.jpg

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 6:34 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Christine Dabney > wrote :
>
> > Christine, wondering how it would work here on rfc.

> I for have neither time, skill at web page hosting, desire or inclanation
> to do such. My fridge is a mess, but that doesn't play into...It's the
> time consuming fiddlety bits I won't/can't do those...In other word I'm
> artistically challanged, as well as being a poor speller and poor
> writter. And those handicaps would require immense effort to overcome.
> Due to that the endevor would, due to frustration and time restraints,
> fall to the wayside quite quickly. Oh, another thing I'm too lazy. So
> count me out. Not that that matters.
>
> Hi my name is Alan and my fridge is a mess; quite frequently I find stuff
> several years over it's expirary date, items that were once vegetable not
> the present slime they are now and stuff I never knew I had. My fridge is
> very full and I mean very full. I keep puting off a clean out, too lazy I
> guess.
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> Elbonian Folklore

What my fellow left handed bald guy born 6-18 said goes sextuple for
me.

Anyhow I got flamed to shit and back for doing a daily food picture
last year.

Also I posted a photo of my fridge about two years back. Bet it's
still out there someplace.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:34:59 -0700, sf wrote:

>Not much happening in my refrigerator either and I'm not going to
>label what's in it - everything is fairly obvious (those two tubs
>under the cream cheese are Noah's cream cheese spreads. I plan to
>make a quiche with some of that cheese you see in the bin tomorrow.
>
>PS: I'm using the newest tinypic option called
>"Direct Link for Layouts".
>http://i11.tinypic.com/4zmhkqb.jpg

Wow. You have empty space in your fridge. I never have that, except
for the day I move in to a house or apartment.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:25:38 -0400, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> > The blogs are still going on over there on eGullet,
> > but they are more formal now, and the "blog czar" helps pick the
> > bloggers.
> >
> > Christine, wondering how it would work here on rfc.

> Anybody with Czar in their title wouldn't go over too well, I
> imagine.

I'm sorry, I hate blogs. I remember Wayne (I miss him) felt the same
about them. It's like reading someone else's diary. I'd rather people
just post. However, Christine's idea has some merit, in that it could
be interesting if people aren't too lengthy about it.

As for picking who does it, though, that could get sticky...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, hahabogus > said:

<snip>

> Hi my name is Alan and my fridge is a mess; quite frequently I find stuff
> several years over it's expirary date, items that were once vegetable not
> the present slime they are now and stuff I never knew I had. My fridge is
> very full and I mean very full. I keep puting off a clean out, too lazy I
> guess.

Alan, you just described my fridge to a "T". I think I love you...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:05:00 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:34:59 -0700, sf wrote:
>

>>Not much happening in my refrigerator either and I'm not going to
>>label what's in it - everything is fairly obvious (those two tubs
>>under the cream cheese are Noah's cream cheese spreads. I plan to
>>make a quiche with some of that cheese you see in the bin tomorrow.
>>
>>PS: I'm using the newest tinypic option called
>>"Direct Link for Layouts".
>>http://i11.tinypic.com/4zmhkqb.jpg

>Wow. You have empty space in your fridge. I never have that, except
>for the day I move in to a house or apartment.

Let's call it an anomaly. It's one of those "I need to go shopping"
spaces. That's all. Did you see all the cheese I have in the right
bin? I have gobs that I inherited from the Labor Day picnic. Quiche
tomorrow.... maybe a lasagna later this week. Don't know what to do
with the goat cheese. I'm not fond of it.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
notice something different between the two of them. That was not
intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first one.

http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
> notice something different between the two of them. That was not
> intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first
> one.
>
> http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm

Wow, Becca, you have a lot of stuff!

Is the mysteriously appearning orange stuff just plain juice?
Heh.

Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
to store. I might just do that now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 12:01?pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message

> > OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
> > notice something different between the two of them. That was not
> > intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first
> > one.

> >http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm

> Wow, Becca, you have a lot of stuff!
>
> Is the mysteriously appearning orange stuff just plain juice?
> Heh.
>
> Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
> to store. I might just do that now.
>
> nancy

I almost always cut up melons, especially watermelon, and put in
containers in the fridge. Takes up less space and easy for my
Grandkids to get to for snacks.
Vickie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:34:59 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:21:45 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>>
>>Heh, there's nothing that interesting in my fridge that anyone would really
>>care to see. Some butter, some eggs, beer, a little bit of wine (no more
>>than 1 glass left). Some vegetables, cheese and a few covered bowls
>>containing leftovers. Nothing terribly exciting or photo-worthy.

>Not much happening in my refrigerator either and I'm not going to
>label what's in it - everything is fairly obvious (those two tubs
>under the cream cheese are Noah's cream cheese spreads. I plan to
>make a quiche with some of that cheese you see in the bin tomorrow.
>
>PS: I'm using the newest tinypic option called
>"Direct Link for Layouts".
>http://i11.tinypic.com/4zmhkqb.jpg

uh-oh, i think yours is bigger than mine.

i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vickie in Utah" > wrote

> On Jun 4, 12:01?pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
>> to store. I might just do that now.

> I almost always cut up melons, especially watermelon, and put in
> containers in the fridge. Takes up less space and easy for my
> Grandkids to get to for snacks.

Thing is, I don't buy watermelon, and if there is one in the
refrigerator, I don't mess with it. But, if it's all cubed and
ready to eat, sure. So, I just cubed up a big portion of it
for myself. Great idea.

nancy, lazy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
> notice something different between the two of them. That was not
> intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first one.
>
> http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm
>
> Becca

Aaaack! You put tomatoes in the fridge!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

>>http://i11.tinypic.com/4zmhkqb.jpg

> uh-oh, i think yours is bigger than mine.
>
> i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I noticed the Heinz yellow mustard!??

And all those eggs!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Becca" > wrote in message

>>http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm

> Wow, Becca, you have a lot of stuff!
>
> Is the mysteriously appearning orange stuff just plain juice?
> Heh.
>
> Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
> to store. I might just do that now.
>
> nancy

That was lemonade in the pitcher, I made it for the people who are doing
the remodeling. After serving the lemonade, it changed the photo.

Yes, that was watermelon. We stored it that way in our fridge at work,
and I continue doing it the same way.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Becca" > wrote in message

>>>http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm

>> Wow, Becca, you have a lot of stuff!
>>
>> Is the mysteriously appearning orange stuff just plain juice?
>> Heh.
>>
>> Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
>> to store. I might just do that now.

> That was lemonade in the pitcher, I made it for the people who are doing
> the remodeling. After serving the lemonade, it changed the photo.

I was hoping it was a pitcher of (some great drink mix).

> Yes, that was watermelon. We stored it that way in our fridge at work, and
> I continue doing it the same way.

Works for me, I'm going to keep doing that, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
>> OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
>> notice something different between the two of them. That was not
>> intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first
>> one.
>>
>> http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm
>>
>> Becca

> Aaaack! You put tomatoes in the fridge!

Yes, it is terrible, I should be spanked for that! You should never
refrigerate tomatoes. But, I do chill the tomatoes before I serve them.
I made a Greek Salad with chicken for lunch today.

The salad dressing was very good, but I had a hard time squeezing it
through the top of the plastic bottle (new). The garlic kept getting
stuck in the spout. I had used a Rösle garlic press. I cut off the end
of the spout, then it worked.

Greek Salad Dressing

1 cup olive oil
3 lemons, juiced
vinegar, to taste
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
a pinch of sugar

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> "Becca" wrote
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Wow, Becca, you have a lot of stuff!

> >> Is the mysteriously appearning orange stuff just plain juice?
> >> Heh.

> >> Also, is that watermelon? Guess I never thought to cube it up
> >> to store. I might just do that now.

> > That was lemonade in the pitcher, I made it for the people who are doing
> > the remodeling. After serving the lemonade, it changed the photo.

> I was hoping it was a pitcher of (some great drink mix).
>
> > Yes, that was watermelon. We stored it that way in our fridge at work, and
> > I continue doing it the same way.

> Works for me, I'm going to keep doing that, too.

I like to bury my face in big ole ripe musk melons still warm from the
sun and let the sweet juices dribble down my chin.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

>> Aaaack! You put tomatoes in the fridge!

> Yes, it is terrible, I should be spanked for that! You should never
> refrigerate tomatoes. But, I do chill the tomatoes before I serve them.
> I made a Greek Salad with chicken for lunch today.

My teeth hurt imagining cold tomatoes. In fact, sadly the taste of them
suffer when served cold.
As for the spanking..well...I'll leave that to one of the guys around
here..lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:53:39 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

Wog? Yes, I refrigerate my tobasco.

I also refrigerate film, batteries, nail polish and panty hose
occasionally. Any more questions?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Becca wrote:
> OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
> notice something different between the two of them. That was not
> intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first one.
>
> http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm
>
> Becca

What, you didn't want us to see your Kraft BBQ sauce?

Damn you have a lot of eggs!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Koko wrote:
> What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
> pictures of their unedited friges.
> Lucky I heard about it close to shopping day or mine would be scarier
> looking that it is.
> Now remember that I live full time in a 5th wheel travel trailer (yes,
> sniff,sniff, trailer trash ;-) so this is a very small frige.
>
> Double dog dare you to show yours.

We have two. If I get a wild hair I will shoot them and post them
later this week. One is in *bad* need to cleaning!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:53:39 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>
> >i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

> Wog? Yes, I refrigerate my tobasco.
>
> I also refrigerate film, batteries, nail polish and panty hose
> occasionally. Any more questions?

I freeze batteries and my sister refrigerates nail polish.

Panty hose???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Koko wrote:
>> What's going around on some of the food blogs is they are posting
>> pictures of their unedited friges.
>> Lucky I heard about it close to shopping day or mine would be scarier
>> looking that it is.
>> Now remember that I live full time in a 5th wheel travel trailer
>> (yes, sniff,sniff, trailer trash ;-) so this is a very small frige.
>>
>> Double dog dare you to show yours.
>>

> We have two. If I get a wild hair I will shoot them and post them
> later this week. One is in *bad* need to cleaning!
>
> -L.

I can relate! LOL

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > blake murphy wrote:

> > >i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

> > Wog? Yes, I refrigerate my tobasco.

> > I also refrigerate film, batteries, nail polish and panty hose
> > occasionally. Any more questions?

> I freeze batteries.

http://duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

http://www.greenbatteries.com/batterymyths.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> > I freeze batteries.

> http://www.greenbatteries.com/batterymyths.html
>
> Sheldon

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than
alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F)
NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY.
Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate
dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of
their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a
freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature
before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after
charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their
self discharge.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:53:39 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>
> >i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

> Wog? Yes, I refrigerate my tobasco.

My daughter and I get in arguments about this. She refrigerates her hot
sauce (Valentina) and I don't (Tapatio). I don't like it cold, and I
like it available on the table. It does deteriorate with age and
sunlight, so mine loses its flavor and color. The solution is to buy
smaller bottles. My wife (who doesn't use either) likes to buy the
large (one liter of pain) because it's cheaper per ounce. Since I end
up throwing away the last of it, I don't see the cost savings,
especially since the last half half bottle isn't as good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
>>OK, I will play along. Here are two photos of my fridge, and you will
>>notice something different between the two of them. That was not
>>intentional. I took two photos, because I was not happy with the first one.
>>
>>http://www.cruisemaster.com/fridge.htm
>>
>>Becca

> What, you didn't want us to see your Kraft BBQ sauce?
>
> Damn you have a lot of eggs!
>
> -L.

Next weekend I am making deviled eggs for a large group of people.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:40:34 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:53:39 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>i think i see some wog stuff in there. you refrigerate your tabasco?

>Wog? Yes, I refrigerate my tobasco.
>
>I also refrigerate film, batteries, nail polish and panty hose
>occasionally. Any more questions?

'wog' is a british slang term for anyone who isn't british. (actually,
it's slang for asians, more of a slur, really. my apologies to any
who took offense.) i thought i saw some asian items in there.

what could go wrong with tabasco? (i guess keeping it out of the
light would help it from turning brick red, though. but i use the
teeny bottles so not much of a problem.) refrigerating the other
items makes sense, although it thought the batteries one had been
debunked.

<http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbattcharge.html>

<http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/tips.html>

your low-voltage pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:41:12 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>'wog' is a british slang term for anyone who isn't british. (actually,
>it's slang for asians, more of a slur, really. my apologies to any
>who took offense.) i thought i saw some asian items in there.

I wasn't offended because I didn't know what WOG meant. I'm not
Asian, but my cooking is often Asian fusion.... that's what we do here
on the left coast. One common ingredient in fajita marinade is soy!

>what could go wrong with tabasco? (i guess keeping it out of the
>light would help it from turning brick red, though. but i use the
>teeny bottles so not much of a problem.)

I don't use hot sauce much.... other brands are in the cupboard.
Other people in my familiy prefer Tapito etc. Tobasco remains my top
choice and I choose to store it in the fridge. Cold Tobasco has never
been an issue for me. It gets mixed into hot food and I've never
noticed that it cools the food down.

> refrigerating the other
>items makes sense, although it thought the batteries one had been
>debunked.

As far as the battery thing goes, I started storing them in the fridge
because I thought it would make them last longer.... now I store them
there so I'll know where to find them. Old habits die hard.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> > refrigerating the other
> >items makes sense, although it thought the batteries one had been
> >debunked.

> As far as the battery thing goes, I started storing them in the fridge
> because I thought it would make them last longer.... now I store them
> there so I'll know where to find them. Old habits die hard.

Now you will always know where to find half dead batteries. They should
not be kept in the fridge or freezer. I always keep a small flashlight, a
mini mag, in the car for emergencies, but the cold winter nights really
zap the batteries. While the flashlights I used at work and those I used at
work kept their charge for a year or two. The one in the car is great all
spring, summer and fall, but really sapped it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > > refrigerating the other
> > >items makes sense, although it thought the batteries one had been
> > >debunked.

> > As far as the battery thing goes, I started storing them in the fridge
> > because I thought it would make them last longer.... now I store them
> > there so I'll know where to find them. Old habits die hard.

> Now you will always know where to find half dead batteries. They should
> not be kept in the fridge or freezer. I always keep a small flashlight, a
> mini mag, in the car for emergencies, but the cold winter nights really
> zap the batteries. While the flashlights I used at work and those I used at
> work kept their charge for a year or two. The one in the car is great all
> spring, summer and fall, but really sapped it.

HEAT will zap batteries, not cold!
It's getting really hot here and dad left his cellphone in his truck the
other day. When he brought it in, the meter was at zero.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> what could go wrong with tabasco? (i guess keeping it out of the
> light would help it from turning brick red, though. but i use the
> teeny bottles so not much of a problem.)

When exposed to heat and light, it loses its color, flavor and heat.
Otherwise, no problem. My sister used to have a little hand-knitted
sweater kind of thing that she put on the bottle of Tabasco. Since she
doesn't use the stuff, once her husband died, I haven't seen either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > > As far as the battery thing goes, I started storing them in the fridge
> > > because I thought it would make them last longer.... now I store them
> > > there so I'll know where to find them. Old habits die hard.

> > Now you will always know where to find half dead batteries. They should
> > not be kept in the fridge or freezer. I always keep a small flashlight, a
> > mini mag, in the car for emergencies, but the cold winter nights really
> > zap the batteries. While the flashlights I used at work and those I used at
> > work kept their charge for a year or two. The one in the car is great all
> > spring, summer and fall, but really sapped it.

> HEAT will zap batteries, not cold!
> It's getting really hot here and dad left his cellphone in his truck the
> other day. When he brought it in, the meter was at zero.

Cold slows the rate of discharge. This is a bad thing when you need to
use them. This is a good thing when you want them to keep. If you need
quick access, don't cool them.

Try a simple experiment. Buy six batteries and a two-cell flashlight.
Test the batteries. Now store two at room temperature, two in the
fridge and two in the freezer. Put the cooled batteries in ziplock bags
or wrap in plastic. Every year, test them again, letting the cooled
batteries come to room temperature first.

There is a reason that most batteries have a "use by" date. They
self-discharge. It's true that they will go dead much sooner if you use
them, but the will die even if not used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Dont have a camera to do it with,but there,s nothing special there.I
just checked and found some"mystery stuff wrapped in foil and an onion
past its prime way in the back.
Cheers,Smitty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:50:43 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:41:12 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>'wog' is a british slang term for anyone who isn't british. (actually,
>>it's slang for asians, more of a slur, really. my apologies to any
>>who took offense.) i thought i saw some asian items in there.
>>

>I wasn't offended because I didn't know what WOG meant. I'm not
>Asian, but my cooking is often Asian fusion.... that's what we do here
>on the left coast. One common ingredient in fajita marinade is soy!
>
>>what could go wrong with tabasco? (i guess keeping it out of the
>>light would help it from turning brick red, though. but i use the
>>teeny bottles so not much of a problem.)

>I don't use hot sauce much.... other brands are in the cupboard.
>Other people in my familiy prefer Tapito etc. Tobasco remains my top
>choice and I choose to store it in the fridge. Cold Tobasco has never
>been an issue for me. It gets mixed into hot food and I've never
>noticed that it cools the food down.
>
>> refrigerating the other
>>items makes sense, although it thought the batteries one had been
>>debunked.

>As far as the battery thing goes, I started storing them in the fridge
>because I thought it would make them last longer.... now I store them
>there so I'll know where to find them. Old habits die hard.

a good reason.

your pal,
blake