Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Child's bad behavior in restaurant continued outside with shocking results

I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a
nearby table. There were two boys there, approximate ages of 4 and 8. Also
present were two women the boys were calling Mom and Grandma.

Mom was loudly trying to make her screaming 4 year old to eat. She was
standing on one leg, the other leg was propped on the bench seat; she was
holding the boys arms down with one hand while trying to force a spoon into
his mouth. Across from this, the 8 year old was throwing food at his
brother whenever the little one opened his mouth to scream "I don't want to
eat! I want to play the game!" Grandma was calmly eating and staring
vaguely into space with no indication she even noticed the fiasco. Other
diners watched with varying degrees of disgust, while the employees glanced
toward the group with increasing hostility.

About this time I noticed the game the boy was screaming about was one of
those big boxes filled with stuffed animals and a grappling hook the player
was supposed to manipulate in order to get a prize. God only knows whose
bright idea it was to seat that bunch next to this contraption, but
eventually Mom gave up and told her kids she'd get some change so they could
play the game. Then Mom and Grandma stood in line at the register to break
a bill. Now the two boys are beating at the game with their fists, and
trying to rock it back and forth. Eventually they tired of that and went to
stand by their mom.

Older boy starts raising his leg and kicking Mom with his knee. She thinks
it's hilarious, and does it back to the boy. Other patrons have to back
away to avoid becoming a casualty. Younger boy tries the same move on
Grandma, who suddenly emerges from her coma and hits him so hard on the back
of his head I heard the smack from 15 ft away. The poor boy looked
absolutely stunned and buried his face in Grandma's tummy. Grandma patted
him on the shoulder a couple of times and slipped back into her coma. Other
people are looking shocked and no one seems to know what to say or do. Mom
had her back to the pair and was still exchanging knee kicks with her older
son, so she was obvious to what had just happened.

Finally Mom gets to the front of the line, pays up and leads the two boys
back to the stupid game and they have a couple of tries. This was the first
time I could actually see the mom's face and I was totally shocked - she
looked very young to have kids of that age. She really looked well short of
twenty. Maybe that's why she acted as much a kid as the *real* kids.
Grandma wandered off to the bathroom.

Time to leave! Only Mom wants to play first. She makes a dash to the door
and holds it shut from the outside while the two boys yell delightedly,
pound on the glass, then run through the restaurant looking for another
exit. Mom starts running along outside, apparently bent on holding the
second exit door shut, too. Suddenly the boys run back to the door and make
it out before Mom returns. They're all happy and high-fiving each other.

New game. Mom is chasing her boys around cars in the parking lot, I think
it was a game of tag. I was watching this and thinking that this was so
dangerous when I glanced away for a second. Next I hear a quick screech of
breaks, one of the boys screaming, and the mother yelling curses at someone.
I went outside and saw the youngest sitting on the pavement with a scraped
knee, crying because he was bleeding. The older son was trying to calm him
down and get him up. Just a few feet away was a car with a shocked man in
the drivers seat. Mom was screaming at the driver and kicking at the car
door. The driver had his window down a bit and was yelling back that he
stopped in time and it wouldn't have been a problem if her son hadn't run
out in front of him. The restaurants manager arrives to try to restore
order, but his efforts pretty much just increase the chaos.

Hey, here comes Grandma! She still seems dazed, doesn't stop to talk to
anyone, just walks past the whole scene and gets into her minivan. She
starts yelling that she's leaving NOW and honking her horn. Mom and kids
are well-trained - they stop everything and hurry over to the van and jump
in. Grandma pulls out and quietly leaves the scene. The driver is
inspecting his car door for dents and the diner's manager is on a cell phone
giving the license plate number and van description to the police.

My food is finally handed to me and I can go home to blessed silence.

~~ Shelly ~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 9:47 am, "~~ Shelly ~~" > wrote:
> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a

[snip]

OMG what a horrible way to start the day!

Your email was very descriptive. If the restaurant owner called the
police, I think your email would make a great addition to the police
report.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:47:03 -0700, "~~ Shelly ~~"
> wrote:

>I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a

snipped

Kids shouldn't be allowed in public settings until they are 30.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Herd" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:47:03 -0700, "~~ Shelly ~~"
> > wrote:
>
>>I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a

> snipped

I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.
Get a life!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote

> On Jun 3, 9:47 am, "~~ Shelly ~~" > wrote:
>> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
>> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a

> [snip]
>
> OMG what a horrible way to start the day!
>
> Your email was very descriptive. If the restaurant owner called the
> police, I think your email would make a great addition to the police
> report.

Or a great help to the driver of that car, imagine what a shock.
I hope nothing comes of it, as far as insurance claims, etc.

Coincidentally, I went to a diner for lunch today, too. It was
very loud, I guess Sunday might not be the best time. After church,
all that. Screaming kids. Didn't bother me, but the guy next to us?
I think people at another table complimented him on his children's
behavior because it set him off on this un*believably* long-winded
explanation of his parenting philosophy. You could see the people's
eyes glazing over. Boy were they sorry they asked. It was a little
funny.

Sillier, we wound up sharing a fork and a napkin, as there were only
one of each on the table. I had a wrap, so I only needed a fork for
coleslaw, wasn't worth bothering the harried waitress.

The wrap was pretty good, pieces of grilled chicken with romaine
and some caesar salad dressing. Not a bad lunch.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks. Makes me realize our nightmare 2-year-old isn't all that bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" wrote:

> Your email was very descriptive. If the restaurant owner called the
> police, I think your email would make a great addition to the police
> report.

I hadn't considered that. I guess I'd assumed that the manager and the
driver would be enough. I'll call the restaurant and let them know I'd help
if needed. The thing is, everyone there saw what I did, and probably more
that went on before I arrived. I didn't actually see the boy run in front
of the car, I was glancing away at the time, but once outside, the scene was
pretty self explanatory. Made me wish I had one of those cell phones that
records video.

This is an example of children's bad behavior being exacerbated by adults
not being responsible. Mom seemed more like a big kid herself, very
immature. She obviously loves the boys, but showed it wrong. Yes, you want
your kids to eat their breakfast, but don't go about it *that* way. Later,
she was playing with them instead of teaching them how to behave properly.
The accident in the parking lot showed she really wasn't prepared to deal
with stress or emergencies. Grandma seems to be able to control this bunch
when she wants, but she's checked out most of the time. Besides, Grandma
also had no problem whacking the little one in a crowded restaurant, makes
me wonder what she's willing to do when alone with the kids.

I started out mentally preparing to post that story within a couple of
minutes of entering that diner. Yes, those kids were really behaving badly,
and I was really annoyed; but I was also feeling pretty full of myself
knowing that my kids had *never* behaved so badly in a public establishment.
As the behavior got worse, I even started to get a little impressed with how
bad those kids and their Mom could be. I was beginning to anticipate the
enjoyment of telling everyone all about it. But as the saying goes, it's
all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Now I'm wondering how much blame goes to the rest of the adults there. When
Mom was allowing an entire restaurant to be subjected to the increasingly
bad behavior of her children, nothing was done. When Mom started to
escalate the behavior by joining in, nothing was done. No matter what that
group did, no one got involved beyond exchanging disbelieving looks with
each other or eye-rolling at them. I'm willing to bet that if Mom hadn't
attacked the car after the near-miss; if she'd just grabbed the boys and put
them in her own vehicle to wait for Grandma; we'd all have stood around and
expressed our shock and disapproval with the whole episode, but no one would
have done anything. No one tried to talk to the boy who almost got hit by
the car. No one tried to stop them from leaving after the accident.

Instead, Mom lost control at a stranger, and the manager came to his aid. I
got the impression that the dents on the man's car were more important than
that little boy.

~~ Shelly ~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BD" wrote

> I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.

So where's your point? Oh there it is, right on top of your little bitty
head!

> Get a life!

What? And leave all *this*?

~~ Shelly ~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:51 am, "BD" > wrote:
> I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.
> Get a life!

You found it interesting enough to read and comment.

Kids in restaurants are interesting to me. Every parent sees their kid
and their way of parenting the perfect way.

Boys... would not know a thing about them.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~~ Shelly ~~ wrote:
> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a
> nearby table. There were two boys there, approximate ages of 4 and 8.
> Also present were two women the boys were calling Mom and Grandma.

<"the horror... the horror" snipped>

Well thank goodness that at least no one was breastfeeding

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> ~~ Shelly ~~ wrote:
>> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
>> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a
>> nearby table. There were two boys there, approximate ages of 4 and 8.
>> Also present were two women the boys were calling Mom and Grandma.

> <"the horror... the horror" snipped>
>
> Well thank goodness that at least no one was breastfeeding

Aw shit! Just when I thought we were through with the bf posts!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" wrote

> Well thank goodness that at least no one was breastfeeding

lol. No, I spied not a single breast, uh, I mean 'in use', so to speak.
Can't speak for what was going on in the kitchen... Hmmm... Maybe *that's*
why my omelet was 'flat' and tough...

~~ Shelly ~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Karen wrote:
> On Jun 3, 11:51 am, "BD" > wrote:
> > I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.
> > Get a life!

> You found it interesting enough to read and comment.
>
> Kids in restaurants are interesting to me. Every parent sees their kid
> and their way of parenting the perfect way.

Nope. I know my kid isn't perfect and I will be the first to admit I
am far from the perfect Mother. What I do try, though, is to be
conscious of others around me and remove my child from public places
before anyone is inconvenienced by his ill behavior (He's 3 - we are
working oin controllin emotions...).

> Boys... would not know a thing about them.

LOL...I thought I wanted all girls until I got a boy. Now I want all
boys.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:15 pm, Herd > wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:47:03 -0700, "~~ Shelly ~~"
>
> > wrote:
> >I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a

> snipped
>
> Kids shouldn't be allowed in public settings until they are 30.

By 30, those kids will have an arrest record as long as your arm, and
be doing hard time.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> ~~ Shelly ~~ wrote:
>> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
>> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a
>> nearby table. There were two boys there, approximate ages of 4 and 8.
>> Also present were two women the boys were calling Mom and Grandma.

> <"the horror... the horror" snipped>
>
> Well thank goodness that at least no one was breastfeeding

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Karen wrote:
> > On Jun 3, 11:51 am, "BD" > wrote:
> > > I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.
> > > Get a life!

> > You found it interesting enough to read and comment.
> >
> > Kids in restaurants are interesting to me. Every parent sees their kid
> > and their way of parenting the perfect way.

> Nope. I know my kid isn't perfect and I will be the first to admit I
> am far from the perfect Mother. What I do try, though, is to be
> conscious of others around me and remove my child from public places
> before anyone is inconvenienced by his ill behavior (He's 3 - we are
> working oin controllin emotions...).
>

> > Boys... would not know a thing about them.

> LOL...I thought I wanted all girls until I got a boy. Now I want all
> boys.
>
> -L.

Wait 'till he hits his teens and you get the grocery bill. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ~~ Shelly ~~

Parenthood should require a pre-test.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 1:57 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> Thanks. Makes me realize our nightmare 2-year-old isn't all that bad.

Two is nothing, compared with 4. Just wait. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:20:56 -0700, "-L." >
wrote:

>Karen wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 11:51 am, "BD" > wrote:
>> > I can't believe that you wasted all of that time to write this all down.
>> > Get a life!

>> You found it interesting enough to read and comment.
>>
>> Kids in restaurants are interesting to me. Every parent sees their kid
>> and their way of parenting the perfect way.

>Nope. I know my kid isn't perfect and I will be the first to admit I
>am far from the perfect Mother. What I do try, though, is to be
>conscious of others around me and remove my child from public places
>before anyone is inconvenienced by his ill behavior (He's 3 - we are
>working oin controllin emotions...).
>

>> Boys... would not know a thing about them.

>LOL...I thought I wanted all girls until I got a boy. Now I want all
>boys.
>
>-L.

on stage, randy newman once said, "If my daughter had been born before
the four boys, I'd have thought they were retarded."

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:55:00 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>~~ Shelly ~~ wrote:
>> I saw this yesterday morning at a local diner. I stopped in to get a
>> breakfast to go and while waiting for my food I found myself watching a
>> nearby table. There were two boys there, approximate ages of 4 and 8.
>> Also present were two women the boys were calling Mom and Grandma.

><"the horror... the horror" snipped>
>
>Well thank goodness that at least no one was breastfeeding

that we know of. perhaps the tit monitors were breakfasting
elsewhere.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Jun 3, 1:57 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> > Thanks. Makes me realize our nightmare 2-year-old isn't all that bad.

> Two is nothing, compared with 4. Just wait. ;-)

There is a series of books (Gessel?) that details life at each age. The
horrors of 2, 4 and 6 are detailed. It was amazing to read the books
and see how closely they correlated with my kids. Still, all kids are
different. For some, one age is worse, but not necessarily the same age
as someone else's kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> ~~ Shelly ~~

> Parenthood should require a pre-test.

Easy to say. How much did we actually know about child rearing before
having our first, as compared to what we *were sure* we knew? The world
would be childless if we had to qualify by instinct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:19:56 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>There is a series of books (Gessel?) that details life at each age. The
>horrors of 2, 4 and 6 are detailed. It was amazing to read the books
>and see how closely they correlated with my kids. Still, all kids are
>different. For some, one age is worse, but not necessarily the same age
>as someone else's kid.

People are able to deal with and resolve the problems at some ages
better than others. Ages 4-6 were absolutely horrible for me, with my
first two children. I was worried with my third one, because she is
already high needs, but so far the 4th year is pretty cool. 2 year
olds are totally cool, too. But it's when they turn 4 that they seem
to become actual *people* and some of them are real doozies!
Marie