Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking with unglazed stoneware?

I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans? Will
it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for baking
sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).

Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.

~C

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:45 pm, "BeeBop" > wrote:
> I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
> Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans? Will
> it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for baking
> sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>
> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~C

No direct experience with quick breads in unglazed stoneware, but you
might try PAM For Baking or just plain butter/flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BeeBop" > wrote in message
>I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
>Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans?
>Will it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for
>baking sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>
> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~C

Sounds like cookware meant to be thrown away. Doesn't it absorb everything
that's cooked in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:30:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"BeeBop" > wrote in message
>>I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
>>Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans?
>>Will it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for
>>baking sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>>
>> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> ~C

>Sounds like cookware meant to be thrown away. Doesn't it absorb everything
>that's cooked in it?

Real unglazed bakers should be soaked in water before using.
http://www.romertopfonline.com/clay-pot-cookery.html Mine made to die
for chicken.... but I knew people who also made bread in them. Just
follow the instructions.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <9LL7i.66891$Xh3.55448@edtnps90>,
"BeeBop" > wrote:

> I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
> Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans? Will
> it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for baking
> sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>
> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~C

There should have been seasoning instructions with the bake ware. Season
it by cooking something good and greasy--meatloaf is a good choice--and
clean the pan with a scraper and water, no soap, and dry. Kinda like
what you would do with cast...

I have never had a problem with anything sticking to my clay bake ware
once it's been seasoned.

Amy

--
Check it out!
http://www.tcfitnesschallenge.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 7:45 pm, "BeeBop" > wrote:
> I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like the Pampered Chef stuff.
> Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans? Will
> it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for baking
> sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>
> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~C

I've baked in mine, and it works very nicely- very even browning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:45 pm, "BeeBop" > wrote:
> I have several pieces of unglazed stoneware, like thePamperedChefstuff.
> Can you bake in it? I mean, can I bake banana bread in the loaf pans? Will
> it stick? I have only used the large flat stones for pizza and for baking
> sourdough bread (and I always use parchment with bread).
>
> Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~C

I have the exact stoneware that you are talking about and I use it for
meatloaves & breads without any problems whatsoever. Since mine is
seasoned from making the meatloaves, it has a non-stick type surface
(kind of like my mom's old cast-iron pan). It does NOT retain the
foods flavors - my breads don't taste like beef and my beef doesn't
taste like bananas.
I am speaking from experience on these, and I do happen to also be a
consultant for The Pampered Chef - just started a few months ago - but
I have had a bunch of their stone products for 10+ years.
Mary