Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make the perfect Indian curry.

I miss being in London (I live in Las Vegas, now, which is a wasteland when
it comes to Indian sub-continent dining) so the only way to get anywhere
near decent Indian food is to cook it myself.

For me, the 'perfect' curries, that I remember from the likes of Brick Lane,
were rich, this gravies, with a layer of oil on the top.

The curries I find the recipes I've been trying (for years now) are watery
and slightly gritty intexture, as if even grinding the spices in a coffee
griner/mini-chopper isn't grinding them down enough.

Someone here must be able to offer some advice.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 11:20 am, "Austin Powers" > wrote:
> I miss being in London (I live in Las Vegas, now, which is a wasteland when
> it comes to Indian sub-continent dining) so the only way to get anywhere
> near decent Indian food is to cook it myself.
>
> For me, the 'perfect' curries, that I remember from the likes of Brick Lane,
> were rich, this gravies, with a layer of oil on the top.
>
> The curries I find the recipes I've been trying (for years now) are watery
> and slightly gritty intexture, as if even grinding the spices in a coffee
> griner/mini-chopper isn't grinding them down enough.
>
> Someone here must be able to offer some advice.
>
> Thanks.

If you get only one asian cookbook get this one

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Asian.../dp/0804837570

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 01:20:54 GMT, "Austin Powers"
> wrote:

>I miss being in London (I live in Las Vegas, now, which is a wasteland when
>it comes to Indian sub-continent dining) so the only way to get anywhere
>near decent Indian food is to cook it myself.
>
>For me, the 'perfect' curries, that I remember from the likes of Brick Lane,
>were rich, this gravies, with a layer of oil on the top.
>
>The curries I find the recipes I've been trying (for years now) are watery
>and slightly gritty intexture, as if even grinding the spices in a coffee
>griner/mini-chopper isn't grinding them down enough.
>
>Someone here must be able to offer some advice.
>
>Thanks.

Have you tried connecting with the fine folks at
alt.food.uk.food+drink.indian? There are some very knowledgeable
ladies and gents on that group.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 8:17 am, "
> wrote:
> On May 28, 11:20 am, "Austin Powers" > wrote:
>
> > I miss being in London (I live in Las Vegas, now, which is a wasteland when
> > it comes to Indian sub-continent dining) so the only way to get anywhere
> > near decent Indian food is to cook it myself.

> > For me, the 'perfect' curries, that I remember from the likes of Brick Lane,
> > were rich, this gravies, with a layer of oil on the top.

> > The curries I find the recipes I've been trying (for years now) are watery
> > and slightly gritty intexture, as if even grinding the spices in a coffee
> > griner/mini-chopper isn't grinding them down enough.

> > Someone here must be able to offer some advice.

> > Thanks.

> If you get only one asian cookbook get this one
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Asian...-Solomon/dp/08...
>
> David

I'm sending this solution from india, whichever gravy u are
making ,first try grinding onion,ginger and garlic together then grind
cashewnuts mixed with poppyseeds soaked in milk for about fifteen
minutes. After grinding both fry it on slow flame till dark brown add
little tomato puree fry again and now the gravy will be thick if u put
little water and add whtever meat u like to eat. Try this method and
let me know if it worked.Allthe best