Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Restaurant owner to teach kids' classes on table manners

Ophelia wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > The fact that you are equating the unacceptability of breast feeding in
> > a restaurant with shame indicates it is your problem, not mine. I simply
> > indicated that I consider it low class and unacceptable behavior in a
> > restaurant, just as I consider eating with your hand instead of proper
> > utensils in a restaurant (rare ethnic restaurant exceptions and of
> > course sandwiches) low class and unacceptable.

> I thought US was meant to be a classless society?

It is, being free from a large scale class system such as the one in
India. That is class based on lineage, not behavior, there will always
be class based on behavior in any society as well there should be.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Goomba38 wrote:

> >> I'm in the US.

> > So in your world low class behavior equates to "shameful"? My you have
> > issues.
> >
> > Pete C.

> In my experience, people who use the term low class are exactly that by
> their own terms.

You've got pretty limited experience I see. I guess they don't let you
out of the "supported living environment" very often.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...

> notbob wrote:
>> On 2007-05-28, Pete C. > wrote:
>>
>> > In your perfect world perhaps. It is not in this (US) society it is
>> > not,
>> > nor is it in many other societies.

>> You're fulla crap. It is illegal nowhere in the US. While it may be
>> legal to ask a mother to leave a public place like a restaurant, it's
>> also legal for that mother to tell 'em to drop dead.

> It all depends on nudity. If the woman violates nudity laws she can
> be arrested. She has the right to brestfeed but she does not have the
> right to be obscene.

Well, sure. Women should use discretion and make sure they're fully covered
and all that. I don't think anyone in here is saying otherwise.

>> > Not me, this society, however many billion of us who consider breast
>> > feeding in a restaurant unacceptable........

>> Speak for yourself. I personally love to see women's breasts, even if
>> they may have a carpet crawler partially obstructing the view.

> Which is precisely why women should have the brains to do it in a
> discreet area where no one else can see.

Again, if they're fully covered, what's the problem?

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Don Salad wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>> No, as I've clearly indicated, people with class find private locations
>>> for breast feeding, not a table in the middle of a decent restaurant.

>> People with class do not take infants into good restaurants. They get a
>> sitter or go to family restaurants.

> How are the next generation supposed to develop good taste in food?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
babies at fine restaurants. I'm sure they can pick up good taste,
manners and appreciate the restaurant more when they're old enough to
try the food off the menu directly, rather than second hand through mommy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> babies at fine restaurants. I'm sure they can pick up good taste,
> manners and appreciate the restaurant more when they're old enough to
> try the food off the menu directly, rather than second hand through mommy.

Why do you hate tits?

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:54:45 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Don Salad wrote:
>>> People with class do not take infants into good restaurants. They get a
>>> sitter or go to family restaurants.

>> How are the next generation supposed to develop good taste in food?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Don
>>

>I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
>babies at fine restaurants.

What exactly is a "fine restaurant"?

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Otto Bahn wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
>> babies at fine restaurants. I'm sure they can pick up good taste,
>> manners and appreciate the restaurant more when they're old enough to
>> try the food off the menu directly, rather than second hand through mommy.

> Why do you hate tits?
>
> --oTTo--

LOL.. what gave you the idea I hate breasts? I have two and they
work(ed) great. I love 'em!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

> wrote

> >I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> >babies at fine restaurants.

> What exactly is a "fine restaurant"?

One without babies. Please try to keep up and
quit begging the question, m'kay?

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

"Goomba38" > wrote

> >> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> >> babies at fine restaurants. I'm sure they can pick up good taste,
> >> manners and appreciate the restaurant more when they're old enough to
> >> try the food off the menu directly, rather than second hand through mommy.

> > Why do you hate tits?
> >
> > --oTTo--

> LOL.. what gave you the idea I hate breasts? I have two and they
> work(ed) great.

Post proof or retract!

> I love 'em!

I'm sure we all wood.

--oTTo--
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

On 2007-05-29, Otto Bahn > wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote

>> LOL.. what gave you the idea I hate breasts? I have two and they
>> work(ed) great.

> Post proof or retract!
>
>> I love 'em!

> I'm sure we all wood.

I think Otto has a couple of valid points, with respect to your valid
points.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:58:46 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Ms P wrote:

>> > Allowed does not equate with acceptable. If you choose to disrespect the
>> > bulk of the other patrons in a good restaurant by breast feeding at the
>> > table you may do so, however do act surprised when you are looked on
>> > with distaste.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> You mean stared at by some creep?
>>
>> Ms P

>Indeed. If you feel you have the right to detract from my dining
>experience with your inappropriate behavior than I have every right to
>show my disapproval.
>
>Pete C.

if mom thinks you're staring at her tit, you may be sending a mixed
message.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Don Salad wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote:
> > >
> > > No, as I've clearly indicated, people with class find private locations
> > > for breast feeding, not a table in the middle of a decent restaurant.

> > People with class do not take infants into good restaurants. They get a
> > sitter or go to family restaurants.

> How are the next generation supposed to develop good taste in food?

They do it by taking them out for nice dinners when they are old enough to
behave and old enough to enjoy a fine meal. Since we were talking about
breast feeding, obviously the infants are not ordering a la carte.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Dave Smith wrote:
> Don Salad wrote:
>>> People with class do not take infants into good restaurants. They get a
>>> sitter or go to family restaurants.

>> How are the next generation supposed to develop good taste in food?

> They do it by taking them out for nice dinners when they are old enough to
> behave and old enough to enjoy a fine meal. Since we were talking about
> breast feeding, obviously the infants are not ordering a la carte.

So when affluent families travel they must eat only crap food?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Giusi wrote:

> > They do it by taking them out for nice dinners when they are old enough to
> > behave and old enough to enjoy a fine meal. Since we were talking about
> > breast feeding, obviously the infants are not ordering a la carte.

> So when affluent families travel they must eat only crap food?

Why would you ask a question like that? There is no reason they can't get
a proper meal at one of the many family restaurants across the nation.
While some of the affluent think they have enough money that they rest of
the world can enjoy their self indulgent family's behaviour other diners
consider themselves to be paying a premium not to be exposed to whiny
brats. It certainly isn't like the rich have only the choice of fine dining
or starving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> babies at fine restaurants.

I'm with you; I prefer beef, or sometimes lamb.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

On May 29, 1:28 pm, Doctroid > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Goomba38 > wrote:
> > I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> > babies at fine restaurants.

> I'm with you; I prefer beef, or sometimes lamb.
>
> --
> - Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
> It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
> -- Chris McG.

Same here.Babies give me gas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:14:11 -0400, Dave Smith

>> >I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
>> >babies at fine restaurants.

>> What exactly is a "fine restaurant"?
>>

>In your case that might be MacDonalds. :-)

Why? :-)

I don't see why asking for a definition of the term would imply
anything of the kind about me. :-)

I hate McDonalds, Arbys, Burger King, and all their lousy food. :-)

I haven't been to one of those places in years. :-)

Nor do I have children. :-)

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

> wrote

> >> What exactly is a "fine restaurant"?
> >>

> >In your case that might be MacDonalds. :-)

> Why? :-)
>
> I don't see why asking for a definition of the term would imply
> anything of the kind about me. :-)
>
> I hate McDonalds, Arbys, Burger King, and all their lousy food. :-)

McDonalds has been consistently rated the #1 fast food
chain in the country. That's fine enough for me. How
many restaurants have something that can compete with
a Big Mac?! And since they provide high chairs, we
can conclude babies and fine dining go together just...
fine!

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Don Salad wrote:

Snip ridiculous cross-posting... yet another TROLL influx. These people
seem terribly interested in our discussions considering they have absolutely
nothing of to contribute regarding cooking, restaurants or anything else of
value.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>
>>The fact that you are equating the unacceptability of breast feeding in
>>a restaurant with shame indicates it is your problem, not mine. I simply
>>indicated that I consider it low class and unacceptable behavior in a
>>restaurant, just as I consider eating with your hand instead of proper
>>utensils in a restaurant (rare ethnic restaurant exceptions and of
>>course sandwiches) low class and unacceptable.

> I thought US was meant to be a classless society?

Dream on
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>>
>>> The fact that you are equating the unacceptability of breast
>>> feeding in a restaurant with shame indicates it is your problem,
>>> not mine. I simply indicated that I consider it low class and
>>> unacceptable behavior in a restaurant, just as I consider eating
>>> with your hand instead of proper utensils in a restaurant (rare
>>> ethnic restaurant exceptions and of course sandwiches) low class
>>> and unacceptable.

>> I thought US was meant to be a classless society?
>>

> Dream on

Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about the
others? Who had the most money?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Otto Bahn wrote:

> > wrote

> > >In your case that might be MacDonalds. :-)

> > Why? :-)
> >
> > I don't see why asking for a definition of the term would imply
> > anything of the kind about me. :-)
> >
> > I hate McDonalds, Arbys, Burger King, and all their lousy food. :-)

> McDonalds has been consistently rated the #1 fast food
> chain in the country. That's fine enough for me.

> How
> many restaurants have something that can compete with
> a Big Mac?!

Burger King - Double whopper with cheese - vastly better than a Big Mac
- more impending doom and gloom from fat and cholesterol, but much
better taste. Once a year is relatively safe I think...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>>> I thought US was meant to be a classless society?
>>>

>> Dream on

> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about the
> others? Who had the most money?

Who approves of feeding a baby in a public place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> >> I thought US was meant to be a classless society?
> >>

> > Dream on

> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about the
> others? Who had the most money?

Behavior, as it should be.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>>>I thought US was meant to be a classless society?
>>>

>>Dream on

> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about the
> others? Who had the most money?

Given that a lot of the "class structure" in America is based on English
ideas of it you might want to check out Nancy Mitfords "Noblesse Oblige"

And here's a little something based purely on money

http://www.afromerica.com/knowledge/...sstructure.php

Though there are people who fall into the lower class "economically" yet
who maintain upper class pretensions based on lineage, who their
ancestors were.

Technically America is a meritocracy, where wealth and "breeding" should
not matter, and technically it don't, but in "real life" it do.

In many of the "best" schools, a high intelligence but low income person
will be passed over so that a "legacy" child of an wealthy alumnus can
be admitted, same with much of corporate & bureaucratic america.

There are exceptions to every rule, and part of it is human nature, a
person makes a fortune and marries a impoverished "upper class" person
and they and especially their children become part of the upper class.

Sometimes it works in reverse, Edward VIII marries an American divorcee
and is forced to give up the throne of England. But that was England in
the 1930's now days the prince of wales is married to a divorced woman.

Given this ng's subject there is an interesting aspect of class
structure and food. SCroll down this page till you come to "food &
culture".

http://www.answers.com/topic/class-structure

Took me almost 50 years & seeing Ang Lee's version of Annie Proux's
story "Brokeback Mountain" to gain an appreciation of my working class
background, which is unfortunately complicated by a meaningless genetic
connection to a very old European family.

http://www.lightnen.net/top20/music/...y%20People.wma
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> Gregory Morrow > was forced to post this in:
> rec.food.cooking
>

> > Good story...where else did ya go...???

> We did the museum thing, a lot of shopping and mainly the bars on Rush.
>

> > This would be what, around 1974 or so?

> Yep. That was about the time. You could still see blood stains in the
> hotel lobby from the *** riots before our trip. We stayed at the Hilton
> Chicago on Michigan Ave. My next trip a few months later I stayed at The
> Palmer House on Monroe which I believe was/is also a Hilton.

Yes, it's a Hilton property...

> > At that time Maxim's was just about the swankiest joint in
> > town...along with the Pump Room in the Ambassador East Hotel.

> We went to the Pump Room. There was a great retro swing band that we
> danced to. Hmmm... maybe the swing band was at the Hilton. Anyway, the food
> was excellent and the bar, IIRC, was very cozy with lots of pics of
> celebrities.
>

> > ANYways, Lois' picture from 1962 or so is on the wall of the Pump
> > Room, back in the day every celebrity who ate there (often between
> > changing trains when traveling NYC - LA) left an autographed pic to
> > put up on the wall.

> I remember the wall. We were there on a Friday night. Lots and lots of
> stressed out business men were hanging out at the bar. Had I known what I
> do now, it would have been prime territory to shop for the next husband

They don't call the area "The Gold Coast" for nothing, darling...

;-)

Apparently there is a lobby bar in the hotel that serves french fries
that are fried in truffle oil. Somebody on a local food board was
raving about them, an apparent bargain for eight bux...

> > I guess Sinatra and Charles Boyer and Joan Crawford and Cary Grant and
> > others who frequented the place in the day (the exterior of the hotel
> > is actually featured in _North By Northwest_) must be turning over in
> > their graves...oh well.

> Now what is the story on the Ambassador West? Somehow the info on that
> hotel got lost on me. IIRC and I may not be, there was a more subdued bar
> and restaurant there.

The Ambassador West was turned into condos years ago. It did have a
bar and resto when it was a hotel. There was once an underground
tunnel connecting the two properties, don't know if that is still
around...

Hugh Hefner's original Chicago Playboy Mansion was virtually next
door, that is now condos too...

> We spent a lot of time at Miss Kitty's on Rush. It was a quiet, *** piano
> bar and was a private club at that time. No touching in a sexual manner
> was allowed and the place was filled pretty equally with *** and str8 men
> and women. The owner, Miss Kitty, sat at the end of the bar with a walking
> stick and if anyone got out of hand she would not hesitate to use it. It
> was coat and tie, but then almost everyplace we went was at that time. You
> had to put a membership card into the slot to even get into the front door.

That may have still been open when I first moved here (1978), I
remember a friend and I trying to go to some *** bar on Rush St. on a
hot August night and they wouldn't let us in, we had shorts on and
they were quite snooty about it...prolly thought we were hookers, lol.

All those old *** bars were mafia run, and the owners could be
somewhat "fierce" characters. They had strict rules, such as BOTH
hands must ON the bar at all times, no touching, dress codes, etc.
That's how it was everywhere back in the day with *** places, I
guess...

There used to be a number of *** bars in that area, long ago (c. 1982)
the city fathers decided they didn't want that "element" around in the
area and they were all closed down eventually. In any case all the
bars moved north, primarily to Halsted St. in Boystown (where I
live)...there is a grand total of ONE *** bar in downtown Chicago, a
tiny dive - ey place on Ohio St. just east of Michigan, it's called
the Second Story Bar, you have to walk up a flight of stairs to reach
it.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Doctroid wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
>> babies at fine restaurants.

> I'm with you; I prefer beef, or sometimes lamb.

It depends on the sauce. I like veal.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

In article >,
"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> Doctroid wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm all for breastfeeding anyplace and anytime... what I'm not for is
> >> babies at fine restaurants.

> > I'm with you; I prefer beef, or sometimes lamb.
> >

> It depends on the sauce. I like veal.

Veal IS babies, you moran.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
-- Chris McG.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-29, Ophelia > wrote:

> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about the
> others? Who had the most money?

BINGO!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

MareCat wrote:
> > Which is precisely why women should have the brains to do it in a
> > discreet area where no one else can see.

> Again, if they're fully covered, what's the problem?
>
> Mary

There isn't one. My comment was directed at the lewd pigs who will
leer just to get a glimpse of boob. That would be reason enough for
me to do it in an area where no one could see.

I am all for BF in public. The only thing I hate are the women who
have the attitude that just because they have the legal right to BF,
it gives them the right to do whatever they want while doing it,
including not having any discretion while they do so (Tit Nazi
syndrome.). Some modicum of modesty is required, IMO.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>>> Dream on

>> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about
>> the others? Who had the most money?

> Who approves of feeding a baby in a public place.

Gosh yes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>> > Dream on

>> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about
>> the
>> others? Who had the most money?

> Behavior, as it should be.

OK so what about the ones who look down on others? Is that not rather
arrogant?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Ok thanks So how is class decided? Who can shout the loudest about
>> the others? Who had the most money?
>>

> Given that a lot of the "class structure" in America is based on English
> ideas of it you might want to check out Nancy Mitfords "Noblesse Oblige"

<snip>

Thank you very much Joseph. I found that most interesting and have kept the
references to read again. I find all this most interesting I am in
Britain and have grown up with the class system. I will say one thing
though, in my experience the real upper classes do not denigrate the lower
ones. I could almost say they have too much class for that)

I can remember a story about the Queen Mother. She was holding a banquet
and had many guests not used to the way things proceeded. One guest was
very slow and it is the tradition that once the Queen had stopped eating,
all had to stop. One guest still had some fruit on her plate and the Queen
Mother leant over and whispered, if I am very slow eating this grape and you
are very fast eating your fruit, perhaps we can finish together

That, to me, is what class is. Putting people down is the method of Chavs,
those who have new money and think they are better than others. To me,
they are lower class than beggers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

Dave Smith wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>>
>>> They do it by taking them out for nice dinners when they are old enough to
>>> behave and old enough to enjoy a fine meal. Since we were talking about
>>> breast feeding, obviously the infants are not ordering a la carte.

>> So when affluent families travel they must eat only crap food?

> Why would you ask a question like that? There is no reason they can't get
> a proper meal at one of the many family restaurants across the nation.

So is it OK for mama-san to whip out her dugs and plug in the screaming
snot-gobbler in a "family" "restaurant"?

I need to know for a book report.

> While some of the affluent think they have enough money that they rest of
> the world can enjoy their self indulgent family's behaviour other diners
> consider themselves to be paying a premium not to be exposed to whiny
> brats.

What, never heard of performance art?

The diners *are* the show!

> It certainly isn't like the rich have only the choice of fine dining
> or starving.

The also have the choice of going up against the wall, come the revolution!

Except those who are breastfeeding while being shot.

--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.

Inconvenient truth to teach kids about sugar [email protected] General Cooking 5 14-02-2014 07:00 PM
When to teach Kids Knife Skills? RT General Cooking 123 12-04-2007 08:37 PM
When to teach Kids Knife Skills? Sharon[_1_] General Cooking 1 10-04-2007 04:23 PM
table manners Rescue General Cooking 39 01-03-2006 03:56 AM
Table manners kalanamak General Cooking 103 30-03-2005 04:53 AM