Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for fresh peppers?

My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them out of a
lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.

Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in place of
bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. And sometimes I've
replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
finished dish. Any other ideas?

The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I want that nice
jolt of red in the dish. I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
dish. In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. Any other
ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?

BTW, he doesn't like pimentos, either.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anny Middon > wrote:

>My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them out of a
>lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.
>
>Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in place of
>bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
>that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. And sometimes I've
>replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
>finished dish. Any other ideas?

Zucchini comes in both green and yellow and is very neutral-
flavored.

An extremely bland cohpped up red beet can add color without
adding much flavor.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them out of a
> lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.
>
> Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in place of
> bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
> that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. And sometimes I've
> replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
> finished dish. Any other ideas?

I like onions in a dish, but in small quantities.
For green, I most often use bagged baby spinach leaves.

And we like them. :-)

> The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I want that nice
> jolt of red in the dish. I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
> the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
> dish. In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
> but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. Any other
> ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?
>
> BTW, he doesn't like pimentos, either.

Damn.

I was going to suggest canned pimentos.
IMHO other than salt, those have almost no flavor.

Okay, try this.
Blanch and peel some fresh Roma tomatoes,
Slice and drain them, and add them to the FINISHED dish.
There will be enough residual heat to heat them slightly and without the
skin, the texture will be better and Romas have less liquid than other
tomatoes.

I honestly cannot think of any other red item that can add color without
altering flavor/texture.

Rehydrated sun dried tomato might work too?

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 10:49�am, "Anny Middon" >
wrote:
> My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. *I just leave them out of a
> lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.
>
> Any ideas on what I can substitute? *I have used poblano peppers in place of
> bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
> that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. *And sometimes I've
> replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
> finished dish. *Any other ideas?
>
> The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. *I want that nice
> jolt of red in the dish. *I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
> the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
> dish. *In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
> but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. *Any other
> ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?
>
> BTW, he doesn't like pimentos, either.
>
> Anny

How about trying some of the roasted red peppers?? They come in a jar,
are bright red, and do not taste at all like fresh ones.
Give it a try.
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anny Middon" wrote:
> My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. *I just leave them out of a
> lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.
>
> Any ideas on what I can substitute? *I have used poblano peppers in place of
> bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
> that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. *And sometimes I've
> replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
> finished dish. *Any other ideas?
>
> The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. *I want that nice
> jolt of red in the dish. *I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
> the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
> dish. *In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
> but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. *Any other
> ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?
>
> BTW, he doesn't like pimentos, either.

Your husband sounds like a pre-pubescent spoiled brat juvenile, why
don't you send him back to his mommy and find a new one, hopefully
more mature, who's not using bubble gum tooth paste with his widdle
sponge bob brushie.

There are so many brightly colored veggies and fruits... but without a
hint of your recipe all anyone can offer is wild speculatiion.
Carrots are bright orange. Red cabbage adds vibrant color. There are
all sorts of colorful berries, lurid citrus zests, grapes of every
hue, melons every color of the rainbow. And apples with skin of every
shade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote on 15 May 2007 09:22:24 -0700:

r> On May 15, 10:49�am, "Anny Middon"

r> wrote:
??>> My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just
??>> leave them out of a lot of recipes, but sometimes the
??>> recipe needs the color jolt.
??>>
??>> The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I
??>> want that nice jolt of red in the dish. I've tried chopped
??>> peeled and seeded tomatoes, but the texture is often wrong
??>> and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the dish. In
??>> small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried
??>> tomatoes, but in larger quantities their flavor can
??>> overhwelm the dish. Any other ideas for adding a bit of
??>> red to a dish?

Have you tried plain (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Your husband sounds like a pre-pubescent spoiled brat juvenile, why
> don't you send him back to his mommy and find a new one, hopefully
> more mature, who's not using bubble gum tooth paste with his widdle
> sponge bob brushie.

Sorry babe, but I cannot agree...

If I've learned nothing else from this list, I've learned to respect the
individual tastes of others and not to FORCE my preferences on them!

I grew up literally having foods I hated shoved down my throat.

It's taken me years to learn to re-appreciate some of them as a result,
onions, garlic and peppers being some of those examples.

I still cannot stand bell peppers and I've given them a real try. Onions
on the other hand, I've learned to love providing they are COOKED. Raw
onions do not agree with my palate nor my digestive system.

Peppers vary. I used to hate salsa, now I love it but not if it's so hot
that the heat kills the taste buds. That's just silly. ;-)

I personally don't mind cooking to match someone else's tastes as mine
are varied enough to where I can find a compatible food...

It's wrong to force your tastes on others, especially children. All it
does is ruin food for them, and might even make them hate cooking due
to negative association.

Same goes for Significant others. My co-worker, Patricia, has learned
this. She is gradually getting her husband to be "braver" and helping
him to learn to enjoy stuff that he did not like before, simply because
it was not prepared properly.

Maybe one of these days I'll learn to like Bell Peppers, or even <gag>
Cilantro!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Anny Middon > wrote:
>
> > My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them
> > out of a lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color
> > jolt.
> >
> > Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in
> > place of bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like)
> > but sometimes that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me.
> > And sometimes I've replaced part of the onion with green onion to
> > get that green into the finished dish. Any other ideas?

> Zucchini comes in both green and yellow and is very neutral-
> flavored.

I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 May 2007 09:57:00 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>There are so many brightly colored veggies and fruits... but without a
>hint of your recipe all anyone can offer is wild speculatiion.
>Carrots are bright orange. Red cabbage adds vibrant color. There are
>all sorts of colorful berries, lurid citrus zests, grapes of every
>hue, melons every color of the rainbow. And apples with skin of every
>shade.

Don't forget the red, green and yellow M&M's.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 11:37 am, "Default User" > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Anny Middon > wrote:

> > > My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them
> > > out of a lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color
> > > jolt.

> > > Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in
> > > place of bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like)
> > > but sometimes that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me.
> > > And sometimes I've replaced part of the onion with green onion to
> > > get that green into the finished dish. Any other ideas?

> > Zucchini comes in both green and yellow and is very neutral-
> > flavored.

> I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?

I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
"chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Zilbandy > wrote:

> On 15 May 2007 09:57:00 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:
>
> >There are so many brightly colored veggies and fruits... but without a
> >hint of your recipe all anyone can offer is wild speculatiion.
> >Carrots are bright orange. Red cabbage adds vibrant color. There are
> >all sorts of colorful berries, lurid citrus zests, grapes of every
> >hue, melons every color of the rainbow. And apples with skin of every
> >shade.

> Don't forget the red, green and yellow M&M's.

<snork>

Be sure to serve the green ones with condoms...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb > wrote:

>On May 15, 11:37 am, "Default User" > wrote:

>> Steve Pope wrote:

>> > Zucchini comes in both green and yellow and is very neutral-
>> > flavored.

>> I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?

>I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
>exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
>yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
>"chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

I was thinking of yellow zucchini, but other types of yellow
summer squash work equally well.

There is the sort of eggplant-shaped summer squash that is
nearly always yellow, but I don't know the official name
of that squash.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb wrote:

> On May 15, 11:37 am, "Default User" > wrote:

> > I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?
> >

> I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
> exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
> yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
> "chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

I don't doubt they exist, I've just never seen them for sale in the
grocery store.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> sueb > wrote:

> >> I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?

> > I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
> > exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
> > yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
> > "chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

> I was thinking of yellow zucchini, but other types of yellow
> summer squash work equally well.

As I mentioned to Sue, I've never seen them available in the stores,
but that may vary by area.

> There is the sort of eggplant-shaped summer squash that is
> nearly always yellow, but I don't know the official name
> of that squash.

The ones I see are these:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_summer_squash>

Generally green zucchini and these are the only summer squashes
available where I shop. I use a combination of the two in my chicken
curry.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 May 2007 19:39:48 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>sueb wrote:
>
>> On May 15, 11:37 am, "Default User" > wrote:

>> > I've never seen yellow zucchini. Are you thinking of summer squash?
>> >

>> I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
>> exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
>> yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
>> "chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

>I don't doubt they exist, I've just never seen them for sale in the
>grocery store.

You tend to find them more in upscale grocers and in farmers markets.
Also better produce stores.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:49:00 GMT, Anny Middon wrote:
>
> > The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I want that nice
> > jolt of red in the dish.

> Candied maraschino cherries.
>
> -sw

<lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> 've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
> the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
> dish. In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
> but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. Any other
> ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?
> Anny

I don't know about oil-packed, but I'd be tempted to use dried tomatoes,
Anny.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I don't doubt they exist, I've just never seen them for sale in the
>grocery store.

Steve and I live in the same general area. I buy yellow zucchini at
the vegetable market (green grocer). If they are available at
supermarkets like Albertsons and Safeway, they are always a lot more
expensive.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:49:00 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them out of a
>lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.

Please suggest a couple of recipes you're having a problem with. Most
poblanos are mild enough that it wouldn't matter. You'd have to
adjust to a slightly different flavor, but if you don't care - so
what?

>Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in place of
>bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
>that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. And sometimes I've
>replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
>finished dish. Any other ideas?

Find recipes that don't require those ingredients.

>The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I want that nice
>jolt of red in the dish. I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
>the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
>dish. In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
>but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. Any other
>ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?

Have you tried roasting the tomatoes?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:49:00 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> magnanimously proffered:

>My DH does not like fresh green or red peppers. I just leave them out of a
>lot of recipes, but sometimes the recipe needs the color jolt.
>
>Any ideas on what I can substitute? I have used poblano peppers in place of
>bell peppers (it's the bell pepper flavor he doesn't like) but sometimes
>that flavor combination doesn't sound good to me. And sometimes I've
>replaced part of the onion with green onion to get that green into the
>finished dish. Any other ideas?
>
>The red pepper substitution is more problematic for me. I want that nice
>jolt of red in the dish. I've tried chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes, but
>the texture is often wrong and the tomatoes can add too much liquid to the
>dish. In small quantities I guess I could use oil-packed dried tomatoes,
>but in larger quantities their flavor can overhwelm the dish. Any other
>ideas for adding a bit of red to a dish?
>
>BTW, he doesn't like pimentos, either.
>
>Anny

Have you considered divorce? ;-)b

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 May 2007 19:44:06 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> sueb > wrote:

>> > I don't know what he was thinking of, but yellow zucchini definitely
>> > exist. I've grown them in my garden. It's much easier to see a
>> > yellow zucchini than a green zucchini and so they don't have a
>> > "chance" to grow to baseball bat size.

>> I was thinking of yellow zucchini, but other types of yellow
>> summer squash work equally well.

>As I mentioned to Sue, I've never seen them available in the stores,
>but that may vary by area.
>
>> There is the sort of eggplant-shaped summer squash that is
>> nearly always yellow, but I don't know the official name
>> of that squash.

>The ones I see are these:
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_summer_squash>
>

>Generally green zucchini and these are the only summer squashes
>available where I shop. I use a combination of the two in my chicken
>curry.
>
>Brian

i like to use pinky-size pieces of summer squash in chinese
stir-fries. zucchini works, too.

your pal,
blake