Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trip report: San Antonio, TX

I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request
for ideas on what to do and where to eat when I was in San Antonio. I
got home yesterday. I had a fantastic time!

The primary reason for this trip was to attend the Bat Mitzvah of a
cousin's daughter. The Bat Mitzvah was wonderful. The service started at
9:00 in the morning and it ran to noon. The Bat Mitzvah girl did a
fantastic job. The honoree's mom is Education Director at the synagogue
where the Bat Mitzvah took place, so they had a rather elaborate
service. I did not get any photos of the ceremony, but the synagogue's
men's club has a video camera set up, so they were able to program it to
record the entire thing to DVD. I have a copy of that DVD on my laptop,
but I haven't watched it yet.

The Bat Mitzvah was followed by lunch in the synagogue's social room. My
cousin told me that she thinks 350 attended. Lunch was nice. There were
some salads, a big bowl of tuna. My cousin's sister from New Jersey
brought in loaves of chalah, pumpernickel, and Jewish rye from a bakery
near her because that sort of bread is not available in San Antonio.
They also served a delicious sweet kugel and some sort of egg casserole,
which I thought was just more kugel until the next day when someone told
me it what it was. There was also a dessert table, which I did not go
near.

There were friends and family from all over the country at the Bat
Mitzvah. Lunch lasted until 3, then I got directions from one of the
locals on how I could drive to the Alamo. I drove there and I spent an
hour shooting photos of the area before I returned to my hotel room to
rest up.

The Bar Mitzvah girl's mom through her a big fiesta that night. I was
invited over their house for dinner before the fiesta, but I screwed up
and I got lost and I didn't make it in time. I did manage to try a
hamburger from Whataburger and it was very good.

The fiesta was held at the synagogue and the place was packed with
friends of my cousin, her daughter, and family. I honestly think the
entire Jewish population of San Antonio must have been there!

The fiesta included an open bar with different kinds of bottled beer and
margaritas, plus soft drinks. Tex Mex food consisting of some sort of
Spanish style rice, cheese enchiladas, refried beans, guacamoli, and
some other items were served buffet style.

They had two clowns to entertain the kids, then a DJ for dancing. The
party was indoors and outdoors. She had two photographers there; one
taking photos of the people in the crowd and the other was stationed
inside and was taking photos of people posing in front of a fiesta
backdrop and each person's photo was printed there. I was there right at
8:00 and I stayed until around 11:00 when I got tired.

Afterwards, a dessert table was set up that included a wonderful
homemade cake for the guest of honor, plus a fantastic fruit cake, and a
chocolate fountain with slices of bananas, pretzel rods, strawberries,
and graham crackers to dunk in the chocolate.

Unfortunately, I got lost on my way back to my hotel, but I was not in a
big rush, so I ended up taking 2 hours to find the Days Inn where I was
staying!

The following day, my cousin hosted a brunch for all the out-of-towners
at her house. Brunch was smoked fishes, bagels, the usual Jewish sorts
of stuff and an egg strata, plus a big fruit salad.

Brunch started at 10:00 and most of the people left around noon. My
cousin's 18 year old son suggested I hang out and watch the Spurs play,
but for some reason, several of my cousins and I decided to go out to
Rudy's barbecue to get lunch. My cousin's son went with me so he could
tell me how to get there.

I ended up having some brisket and two pork ribs for lunch with some of
Rudy's creamed corn. It was fantastic! After lunch, we all piled in our
cars and we went to La Cantera, a big shopping mall nearby where my
cousin's son watched the last quarter of the Spurs game and I wondered
into the Apple store while the others went their way.

So later that day, I went back to my cousin's house and we the four of
us just sat and relaxed for a bit. Then my cousin invited me out to
dinner, but I was stuffed from lunch so I declined.

the next day, I decided to go back to Rudy's for lunch to try their baby
back ribs. That's all I got was a few of the baby backs, and they were
delicious! I then went on a tour of Cascade Caerns where I shot a lot of
photos, then I went to Friedrich Park where I walked around and shot
photos for around 90 minutes.

I then went back to my cousin's house and we ate left over food from the
fiesta for dinner and we sat and watched TV and I had an opportunity to
print m boarding passes for my flight home the next day.

My flight home wasn't 'til 6:00pm, so I spent a few hours Tuesday at the
Hemisphere Park and I went up to the observation deck of the Tower of
America. I shot al ot of photos in that area.

You are all welcome to see my photos. Feel free to write to me and I
will tell yo how to access my web site if you want to see the photos.

Thanks to everyone wo made suggestions to me on what to do in San
Antonio.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request
> for ideas on what to do and where to eat when I was in San Antonio. I
> got home yesterday. I had a fantastic time!

Haven't been to San Anton since I moved awy from Texas in 1987. Sounds like
you had a grand old time. Would love to see the shots. You are welcome to
email me the think

lonnicusuo AT yahoo DOT com

Cindi
off to Tx for my 20th High School Reunion in October

> [...]
> back ribs. That's all I got was a few of the baby backs, and they were
> delicious! I then went on a tour of Cascade Caerns where I shot a lot of
> photos, then I went to Friedrich Park where I walked around and shot
> photos for around 90 minutes.
>
> I then went back to my cousin's house and we ate left over food from the
> fiesta for dinner and we sat and watched TV and I had an opportunity to
> print m boarding passes for my flight home the next day.
>
> My flight home wasn't 'til 6:00pm, so I spent a few hours Tuesday at the
> Hemisphere Park and I went up to the observation deck of the Tower of
> America. I shot al ot of photos in that area.
>
> You are all welcome to see my photos. Feel free to write to me and I
> will tell yo how to access my web site if you want to see the photos.
>
> Thanks to everyone wo made suggestions to me on what to do in San

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 11:28 pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request
> for ideas on what to do and where to eat when I was in San Antonio. I
> got home yesterday. I had a fantastic time!

Stan,

Glad you had a good trip and got home safely. Sounds like yuo got
enough to eat!
I'll email you separately for the link.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> The primary reason for this trip was to attend the Bat Mitzvah of a
> cousin's daughter.

WOO-HOO!!!

I wannabe bat mitzvah'd!!!

IN SAN ANTONIO!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting with your family and
exploring a few restaurants. Your sense of direction sounds almost as
bad as mine. lol

In April, I left Texas and moved to Louisiana. I found one good BBQ
restaurant, but it's not the same. Glad you enjoyed your trip to San
Antonio.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> It sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting with your family and
> exploring a few restaurants. Your sense of direction sounds almost as bad
> as mine. lol
>
> In April, I left Texas and moved to Louisiana. I found one good BBQ
> restaurant, but it's not the same. Glad you enjoyed your trip to San
> Antonio.

Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for 16
years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff found in
supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the same here in
suburban Baltimore).

Glad to hear you had such a great time, Stan. It's probably been at least
eight years since I've been to San Antone, but I had lots of fun times
there.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request
>for ideas on what to do and where to eat when I was in San Antonio. I
>got home yesterday. I had a fantastic time!

Just curious. What did you end up doing for her gift?. That was big
discussion here earlier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 8:23 am, "MareCat" > wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message

> > It sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting with your family and
> > exploring a few restaurants. Your sense of direction sounds almost as bad
> > as mine. lol

> > In April, I left Texas and moved to Louisiana. I found one good BBQ
> > restaurant, but it's not the same. Glad you enjoyed your trip to San
> > Antonio.

> Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for 16
> years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff found in
> supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the same here in
> suburban Baltimore).

There's a great place on Reisterstown RD (I think that's it) called La
Luna Grill. Kennet Sq , PA has great Mexican food. Try Taqueria
Morleone. Queretaro style food.

Also, there are more than adequate Mexican grocery stores around
Silver Spring, MD and in the Riverdale
area in Prince Georges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Aug3.html

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:

> Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for
> 16 years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff
> found in supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the
> same here in suburban Baltimore).

What I have missed, is the Hong Kong Market.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" wrote:

> Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for 16
> years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff found in
> supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the same here in
> suburban Baltimore).

Where did you live in Houston? It's not fair to compare urban areas
anywhere with surburbia... unless the population is a good ethnic mix
you just won't find the variety of foods at those markets... I know
for a fact that were you to peruse urban Baltimore markets you'll find
everything you found in urban Houston and more, a LOT more.

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> "MareCat" wrote:
>>
>> Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for 16
>> years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff found
>> in
>> supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the same here in
>> suburban Baltimore).

> Where did you live in Houston? It's not fair to compare urban areas
> anywhere with surburbia... unless the population is a good ethnic mix
> you just won't find the variety of foods at those markets...

I lived in several different parts of the Houston area during my 16-year
stay, the last several years spent in suburbs. The "regular" supermarkets
there were large and carried pretty much whatever I was looking for. (The
"Signature"/"Platinum" stores there carried even more.) Here, in suburban
Baltimore, I have a hard time finding a lot of things in supermarkets that I
always easily found in Houston. The stores here are small and dingy, just
like most of the supermarkets in the area of PA that I hail from.

> I know
> for a fact that were you to peruse urban Baltimore markets you'll find
> everything you found in urban Houston and more, a LOT more.

A LOT more?? LOL. You're comparing a city the size of Houston (4th-largest
in the U.S.) to a city the size of Baltimore (18th-largest-
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)?? Houston also has a pretty
diverse ethnic population and has multiple markets.

What do you know about Houston? Show me the evidence that Baltimore markets
<cough cough> have a LOT more than Houston markets...

Mary

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 9:14�pm, "MareCat" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > "MareCat" wrote:

> >> Last July, I moved to Maryland, after living in the Houston area for 16
> >> years. I miss the food in TX (not just restaurant food, but stuff found
> >> in
> >> supermarkets and other markets as well--haven't found the same here in
> >> suburban Baltimore).

> > Where did you live in Houston? *It's not fair to compare urban areas
> > anywhere with surburbia... unless the population is a good ethnic mix
> > you just won't find the variety of foods at those markets...

> I lived in several different parts of the Houston area during my 16-year
> stay, the last several years spent in suburbs. The "regular" supermarkets
> there were large and carried pretty much whatever I was looking for. (The
> "Signature"/"Platinum" stores there carried even more.) Here, in suburban
> Baltimore, I have a hard time finding a lot of things in supermarkets that I
> always easily found in Houston. The stores here are small and dingy, just
> like most of the supermarkets in the area of PA that I hail from.
>
> > I know
> > for a fact that were you to peruse urban Baltimore markets you'll find
> > everything you found in urban Houston and more, a LOT more.

> A LOT more?? LOL. You're comparing a city the size of Houston (4th-largest
> in the U.S.) to a city the size of Baltimore (18th-largest-http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)??Houston also has a pretty
> diverse ethnic population and has multiple markets.

The size of a city hasn't a whit to do with it's variety of foods...
and actually the 4th largest city is Brooklyn.
http://www.carnaval.com/cityguides/n...city_guide.htm

But size has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that Brooklyn is
also the most ethnically diverse city on the planet, which is
reflected mightily in it's cousine... if you can't find a particular
food in Brooklyn is simply doesn't exist.

> What do you know about Houston? Show me the evidence that Baltimore markets
> <cough cough> have a LOT more than Houston markets...

Why should I have to show you anything... you keep refering to "a hard
time finding a lot of things" but haven't mentioned even one thing.
I've been to Houston and I've been to Baltimore. Baltimore beats
Houston by miles in food diversity... in fact Baltimore beats all of
Texas in food diversity (not like that's any great accomplishment),
simply because it's population is more diverse. Baltimore is
extremely cosmopolitan, Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it. Baltimore happens to be a
smaller version of Brooklyn... you just don't know how to find food...
and since you haven't mentioned even one food I seriously doubt you
even know what you're looking for.... you may have trouble finding
your beloved beer nuts at a Baltimore stupidmarket, try a gas station
convenience store... right there, between the slim jims and condoms.
hehe

Sheldon

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
> thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
> cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it.

That's just not true Shel'. ;-)
The best BBQ places serve sauce on the side so you have a choice of
whether or not to use it. I never do. GOOD 'Q does not need it.

I know many Texans that don't drink beer and there are a tremendous
variety of ethnic foods available in Austin. It has some of the best
asian markets I've ever found anywhere. There is also Indian, greek and
mid-eastern stuff highly available.

As for Bible thumpers...

This area of the south has one of the biggest pagan populations I've
ever run across!

Texas has become a very desirable place to live so people are moving
here from all over the US. It's increased it's diversity accordingly.

There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
(Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on meat
and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place around
where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

Visit here babe before ya slam it!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On May 11, 9:14�pm, "MareCat" > wrote:
>
>>"Sheldon" > wrote in message

groups.com...

>>>Where did you live in Houston? It's not fair to compare urban areas
>>>anywhere with surburbia... unless the population is a good ethnic mix
>>>you just won't find the variety of foods at those markets...

>>I lived in several different parts of the Houston area during my 16-year
>>stay, the last several years spent in suburbs. The "regular" supermarkets
>>there were large and carried pretty much whatever I was looking for. (The
>>"Signature"/"Platinum" stores there carried even more.) Here, in suburban
>>Baltimore, I have a hard time finding a lot of things in supermarkets that I
>>always easily found in Houston. The stores here are small and dingy, just
>>like most of the supermarkets in the area of PA that I hail from.
>>

>>>I know
>>>for a fact that were you to peruse urban Baltimore markets you'll find
>>>everything you found in urban Houston and more, a LOT more.

>>A LOT more?? LOL. You're comparing a city the size of Houston (4th-largest
>>in the U.S.) to a city the size of Baltimore (18th-largest-http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)??Houston also has a pretty
>>diverse ethnic population and has multiple markets.

> The size of a city hasn't a whit to do with it's variety of foods...
> and actually the 4th largest city is Brooklyn.
> http://www.carnaval.com/cityguides/n...city_guide.htm
>
> But size has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that Brooklyn is
> also the most ethnically diverse city on the planet, which is
> reflected mightily in it's cousine... if you can't find a particular
> food in Brooklyn is simply doesn't exist.
>

>>What do you know about Houston? Show me the evidence that Baltimore markets
>><cough cough> have a LOT more than Houston markets...

> Why should I have to show you anything... you keep refering to "a hard
> time finding a lot of things" but haven't mentioned even one thing.
> I've been to Houston and I've been to Baltimore. Baltimore beats
> Houston by miles in food diversity... in fact Baltimore beats all of
> Texas in food diversity (not like that's any great accomplishment),
> simply because it's population is more diverse. Baltimore is
> extremely cosmopolitan, Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
> thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
> cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it. Baltimore happens to be a
> smaller version of Brooklyn... you just don't know how to find food...
> and since you haven't mentioned even one food I seriously doubt you
> even know what you're looking for.... you may have trouble finding
> your beloved beer nuts at a Baltimore stupidmarket, try a gas station
> convenience store... right there, between the slim jims and condoms.
> hehe
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon,

I'll stay out of the Baltimore issue since I haven't shopped there.
However, your description of Houston indicates that you have little
connection to reality. Have you ever shopped at Phoenicia? Have you
even visited a selection of Fiesta's? They are different. Maybe even a
large Kroger?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2007 21:04:13 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I know many Texans that don't drink beer and there are a tremendous
>variety of ethnic foods available in Austin. It has some of the best
>asian markets I've ever found anywhere. There is also Indian, greek and
>mid-eastern stuff highly available.

Not only that, but in the Lubbock area, there are award winning wines
being made.

Christine

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
> (Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on meat
> and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place around
> where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

Just one good Mexican market in all of Austin... no competition...
that alone tells me the Mexican food there sucks. I doubt it's even
Mexican, tex-mex is not Mexican... people in most of Mexico don't eat
any of that make believe taco bell-esque crap, just the border towns.
And what's the big deal about unbrined chicken like it's a rarity,
I've never seen brined chicken in Noo Yawk... never seen any brined
pork either, I always figure y'all keep making that up. I've seen
flavorized injected turkey for a while but that didn't last long when
no one bought it. I can assure you if y'all don't buy saline injected
meats there very soon wouldn't be any at the stores... obviously y'all
like brined meat.

Sheldon

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article .com>,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
>> thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
>> cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it.

> That's just not true Shel'. ;-)
> The best BBQ places serve sauce on the side so you have a choice of
> whether or not to use it. I never do. GOOD 'Q does not need it.
>
> I know many Texans that don't drink beer and there are a tremendous
> variety of ethnic foods available in Austin. It has some of the best
> asian markets I've ever found anywhere. There is also Indian, greek and
> mid-eastern stuff highly available.

Double, triple, quadruple, whatever--that for Houston, then...

> As for Bible thumpers...
>
> This area of the south has one of the biggest pagan populations I've
> ever run across!
>
> Texas has become a very desirable place to live so people are moving
> here from all over the US. It's increased it's diversity accordingly.

LOL. Most of the people I knew in TX weren't native Texans (I met my
husband--a NJ native--in Houston). Texas is a *very* large melting pot.

> There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
> (Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on meat
> and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place around
> where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

Fiesta--a Houston-based chain (http://www.fiestamart.com/). Great place. (I
totally forgot about Fiesta when I was thinking about Houston area
markets--was mainly thinking about H-E-B, CM, Hong Kong Market, all the
many, many ethnic groceries, even most of the Kroger stores I frequented.)

> Visit here babe before ya slam it!

Oh, Sheldon's talking out of his arse AGAIN, that's all.

Gotta say, I didn't like everything about TX, but I LOVED the food scene
there.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Abe > wrote:

> >I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request
> >for ideas on what to do and where to eat when I was in San Antonio. I
> >got home yesterday. I had a fantastic time!

> Just curious. What did you end up doing for her gift?. That was big
> discussion here earlier.

I gave her a monetary gift and I donated money to the charity for which
she did her mitzvah. Oddly enough, the gift the Bat Mitzvah girl liked
the best was a Tickle Me Elmo doll from a friend.
Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
> (Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on
> meat and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place
> around where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

Fiesta, I love those stores! You can find almost anything in Fiesta.
You can find Ting, a grapefruit beverage made in Jamaica. The first
time I went to a Fiesta, I was shopping in the meat department, I looked
down and there was a huge display of hog's heads. I never found that at
the A&P.

Look at the change in population of Southern cities. Lots of people are
moving south. Texas has no state income tax.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 9:28 pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> [...]
> back ribs. That's all I got was a few of the baby backs, and they were
> delicious! I then went on a tour of Cascade Caerns where I shot a lot of
> photos, then I went to Friedrich Park where I walked around and shot
> photos for around 90 minutes.
>
> I then went back to my cousin's house and we ate left over food from the
> fiesta for dinner and we sat and watched TV and I had an opportunity to
> print m boarding passes for my flight home the next day.
>
> My flight home wasn't 'til 6:00pm, so I spent a few hours Tuesday at the
> Hemisphere Park and I went up to the observation deck of the Tower of
> America. I shot al ot of photos in that area.
>
> You are all welcome to see my photos. Feel free to write to me and I
> will tell yo how to access my web site if you want to see the photos.
>
> Thanks to everyone wo made suggestions to me on what to do in San

I'm planning a trip to SA in July to see the Royal Ballet perform! It
sounds like you went to all sorts of places and in particular, the
Cascade Caversns sounds amazing! Are all these attractions you went
to fairly close to SA proper or were they outside of town?

I'll be driving to SA from Phx so I might stop at the McDonald
Observatory at fort Davis.

-goro-

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
> > (Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on
> > meat and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place
> > around where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

> Fiesta, I love those stores! You can find almost anything in Fiesta.
> You can find Ting, a grapefruit beverage made in Jamaica. The first
> time I went to a Fiesta, I was shopping in the meat department, I looked
> down and there was a huge display of hog's heads. I never found that at
> the A&P.

<lol>
They do have a rather good ethnic food section!
Plenty of goat cheese too. Queso fresca!

> Look at the change in population of Southern cities. Lots of people are
> moving south. Texas has no state income tax.

Just one of many good reasons to live here. :-)

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Goro > wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to SA in July to see the Royal Ballet perform! It
> sounds like you went to all sorts of places and in particular, the
> Cascade Caversns sounds amazing! Are all these attractions you went
> to fairly close to SA proper or were they outside of town?
>
> I'll be driving to SA from Phx so I might stop at the McDonald
> Observatory at fort Davis.
>
> -goro-

Cascade is nice,

http://www.cascadecaverns.com/

Natural Bridge is better. :-)

http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/

(IMHO of course!)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

time finding a lot of things" but haven't mentioned even one thing.
I've been to Houston and I've been to Baltimore. Baltimore beats
Houston by miles in food diversity... in fact Baltimore beats all of
Texas in food diversity (not like that's any great accomplishment),
simply because it's population is more diverse. Baltimore is
extremely cosmopolitan, Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it. Baltimore happens to be a
smaller version of Brooklyn... you just don't know how to find food...
and since you haven't mentioned even one food I seriously doubt you
even know what you're looking for.... you may have trouble finding
your beloved beer nuts at a Baltimore stupidmarket, try a gas station
convenience store... right there, between the slim jims and condoms.

Troll alert.

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/07 11:41 AM, in article r7m1i.14083$b67.4510@trnddc06, "Jack Sloan"
> [...]

> time finding a lot of things" but haven't mentioned even one thing.
> I've been to Houston and I've been to Baltimore. Baltimore beats
> Houston by miles in food diversity... in fact Baltimore beats all of
> Texas in food diversity (not like that's any great accomplishment),
> simply because it's population is more diverse. Baltimore is
> extremely cosmopolitan, Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
> thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
> cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it. Baltimore happens to be a
> smaller version of Brooklyn... you just don't know how to find food...
> and since you haven't mentioned even one food I seriously doubt you
> even know what you're looking for.... you may have trouble finding
> your beloved beer nuts at a Baltimore stupidmarket, try a gas station
> convenience store... right there, between the slim jims and condoms.

No kidding...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>

>>Omelet wrote:
>>

>>>There is, of course, one very good Mexican market in Austin as well
>>>(Fiesta). One of the best and least expensive places to stock up on
>>>meat and a HUGE variety of fresh produce. It's almost the only place
>>>around where one can consistently find un-brined chicken...

>>Fiesta, I love those stores! You can find almost anything in Fiesta.
>>You can find Ting, a grapefruit beverage made in Jamaica. The first
>>time I went to a Fiesta, I was shopping in the meat department, I looked
>>down and there was a huge display of hog's heads. I never found that at
>>the A&P.

> <lol>
> They do have a rather good ethnic food section!
> Plenty of goat cheese too. Queso fresca!
>

>>Look at the change in population of Southern cities. Lots of people are
>>moving south. Texas has no state income tax.

> Just one of many good reasons to live here. :-)

That, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Goro > wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to SA in July to see the Royal Ballet perform! It
> sounds like you went to all sorts of places and in particular, the
> Cascade Caversns sounds amazing! Are all these attractions you went
> to fairly close to SA proper or were they outside of town?
>
> I'll be driving to SA from Phx so I might stop at the McDonald
> Observatory at fort Davis.

You can google for "San Antonio" to find their official web site and
lots of attractions are listed there. The Cascade Caverns is about 40
miles out of town, but its a major highway (route 10) so the drive is
fairly quick. Friedrich Park is about half way between San Antonio and
the Cascade Cavern. The Alamo, Hemifair Park, and Riverwalk are in down
town San Antonio. Parking down town is easy to find, but not free, but
not expensive either.
Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

"George Kerby" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> time finding a lot of things" but haven't mentioned even one thing.
>> I've been to Houston and I've been to Baltimore. Baltimore beats
>> Houston by miles in food diversity... in fact Baltimore beats all of
>> Texas in food diversity (not like that's any great accomplishment),
>> simply because it's population is more diverse. Baltimore is
>> extremely cosmopolitan, Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
>> thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
>> cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it. Baltimore happens to be a
>> smaller version of Brooklyn... you just don't know how to find food...
>> and since you haven't mentioned even one food I seriously doubt you
>> even know what you're looking for.... you may have trouble finding
>> your beloved beer nuts at a Baltimore stupidmarket, try a gas station
>> convenience store... right there, between the slim jims and condoms.

HAH! You ain't seen nuthin' yet! Stick around!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice Cream that sucks (was Trip report: San Antonio, TX)

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Becca > wrote:

> >>Fiesta, I love those stores! You can find almost anything in Fiesta.
> >>You can find Ting, a grapefruit beverage made in Jamaica. The first
> >>time I went to a Fiesta, I was shopping in the meat department, I looked
> >>down and there was a huge display of hog's heads. I never found that at
> >>the A&P.

> > <lol>
> > They do have a rather good ethnic food section!
> > Plenty of goat cheese too. Queso fresca!
> >

> >>Look at the change in population of Southern cities. Lots of people are
> >>moving south. Texas has no state income tax.

> > Just one of many good reasons to live here. :-)

> That, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.
>
> Becca

Sorry dear, but <gag>

That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!

I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
volume...

I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice Cream....... Rum and Raisin

Omelet wrote:

> Sorry dear, but <gag>
>
> That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
>
> I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
> volume...
>
> I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

I like Haagen Dazz but I haven't bought an ice cream since I bought my ice
cream maker about three years ago. I am getting better at it and
everything I have made for the last year or so has been outstanding.

After a recent discussion here about run and raisin I gave it a try. I made
up the usual ice cream base and macerated 1/2 cup of Sultana raisins in
dark rum. They can go onto the freezer after they plump up, which allows
them and the rum to be added at the last minute without softening it too
much like it would if it was warm. The first batch was so good I have made
two more. I like it, and my wife adores it. Every time she has some of the
rum and raisin she raves over it.

Thanks to whoever it was that suggested it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> Sorry dear, but <gag>
>
> That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
>
> I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
> volume...
>
> I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

Please... Häagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's are both prime examples of what
ice cream should not be. All their ices are cloyingly-sweet, rock-hard,
crude atrocities. Try some Italian gelati instead. I had some very good
gelati, especially water-based ones, at Paciugo's in the Dallas area but
I notice they have now expanded all over the continent and have a branch
in Austin (that's where you are, right?). See
<http://www.paciugo.com/html/locations/location_details.php?recordID=24>.
I just hope the quality hasn't been compromised by the expansion.

Victor
Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 9:04 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Sheldon > wrote:
> > Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
> > thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
> > cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it.

> That's just not true Shel'. ;-)

Om, why bother?

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> Sorry dear, but <gag>
>>
>> That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
>>
>> I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
>> volume...
>>
>> I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

> Please... Häagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's are both prime examples of what
> ice cream should not be. All their ices are cloyingly-sweet, rock-hard,
> crude atrocities. Try some Italian gelati instead. I had some very good
> gelati, especially water-based ones, at Paciugo's in the Dallas area but
> I notice they have now expanded all over the continent and have a branch
> in Austin (that's where you are, right?). See
> <http://www.paciugo.com/html/locations/location_details.php?recordID=24>.
> I just hope the quality hasn't been compromised by the expansion.

There is no comparing gelati and American Ice Cream! American Ice
Cream Sucks. (JUST KIDDING, PLEASE, NO 165-POST THREAD!)

My favorite is Breyers Double Churn No Sugar Added Vanilla.

It is not very sweet, lowish fat, and very creamy. I'm sure it has all kinds
of weird stuff in it, but I hear something gets us all in the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 8:06?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> There is no comparing gelati and American Ice Cream! American Ice
> Cream Sucks.

You haven't a clue. First of all it's NOT "gelati", it's *GELATO*..
that's the first clue that you're a clueless dumb **** just like the
rest of the US bashers.

It's just not fair to compare only the commercial ice creams in the US
with the individual privately made ice creams elsewhere. There are
plenty of excellent ice crreams made in the US, but you can't get them
in the stupidmarket, you need to go to the source, to the private
family operated establishments in the US just like in Italy... the
stupidmarkets in Italy sell just as crappy ice creams as in the US
stupidmasrkts, probably worse.

Gelato is merely the dago word for ice cream... actually means shit.
I've eaten ice creams all over this planet, the very, very best by far
are made at L & B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn.

The crap they pass off in Italy, anywhere in Italy, is to ice cream as
Mc'Ds is to burgers.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Omelet > wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry dear, but <gag>
> >>
> >> That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
> >>
> >> I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
> >> volume...
> >>
> >> I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

> > Please... Häagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's are both prime examples of what
> > ice cream should not be. All their ices are cloyingly-sweet, rock-hard,
> > crude atrocities. Try some Italian gelati instead. I had some very good
> > gelati, especially water-based ones, at Paciugo's in the Dallas area but
> > I notice they have now expanded all over the continent and have a branch
> > in Austin (that's where you are, right?). See
> > <http://www.paciugo.com/html/locations/location_details.php?recordID=24>.
> > I just hope the quality hasn't been compromised by the expansion.
> >

> There is no comparing gelati and American Ice Cream! American Ice
> Cream Sucks. (JUST KIDDING, PLEASE, NO 165-POST THREAD!)
>
> My favorite is Breyers Double Churn No Sugar Added Vanilla.
>
> It is not very sweet, lowish fat, and very creamy. I'm sure it has all kinds
> of weird stuff in it, but I hear something gets us all in the end.

Nobody is going to die healthy! <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 12:36 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Becca > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > <lol>
> > > They do have a rather good ethnic food section!
> > > Plenty of goat cheese too. Queso fresca!

> > > Just one of many good reasons to live here. :-)

> > That, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.

> > Becca

> Sorry dear, but <gag>
>
> That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
>
> I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
> volume...
>
> I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

Ben & Jerry's is nowhere near Haagen-Dazs quality. Haagen-Dazs Black
Raspberry Chip is just the best.
The idea that Blue Bell is better than Haagen-Dazs is absurd.

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to houston.eats,rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
dtwright37 > wrote:

> On May 11, 9:04 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> >
> > Sheldon > wrote:
> > > Texas is anything but, primarily redneck bible
> > > thumpers and illegals; beer guzzlers, beer nuts munchers, and
> > > cloyingly sweet bbq, that's about it.

> > That's just not true Shel'. ;-)

> Om, why bother?
>
> David

Just because... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 13, 8:06?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> There is no comparing gelati and American Ice Cream! American Ice
>> Cream Sucks.

> You haven't a clue. First of all it's NOT "gelati", it's *GELATO*..
> that's the first clue that you're a clueless dumb **** just like the
> rest of the US bashers.
>
> <snip Sheldon's typical display of "Italia-envy">

Gelati is the plural of gelato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Food Snob > wrote:

> > > That, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.

> > > Becca

> > Sorry dear, but <gag>
> >
> > That stuff is too sweet, and it's at LEAST 1/2 whipped air!
> >
> > I think they should pass a law to sell dairy products by weight, not
> > volume...
> >
> > I eat Haagen Dazs almost exclusively, or Ben and Jerry's.

> Ben & Jerry's is nowhere near Haagen-Dazs quality. Haagen-Dazs Black
> Raspberry Chip is just the best.
> The idea that Blue Bell is better than Haagen-Dazs is absurd.
>

> --Bryan

Ben and Jerry's is not as good as Haagan Dazs, but they have some
interesting combos (flavors).

Haagan Dazs is what I generally get, but I only eat ice cream once or
twice per year. Usually for birthdays. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

NYC Trip Report (long) Kris[_1_] General Cooking 360 27-07-2010 01:10 AM
Trip Report ~TD Sourdough 3 14-04-2006 01:50 PM
Trip report - final Jon Endres, PE Barbecue 6 16-02-2004 09:39 AM
NYC trip report Dog Ma 1 Tea 0 12-02-2004 04:17 AM
trip report Julia Altshuler General Cooking 36 29-11-2003 07:32 PM