FoodBanter.com

-   -   why won't they spread? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/123244-why-wont-they-spread.html)

Ms P 10-05-2007 02:14 AM

why won't they spread?

I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
stay in defiant lumps.

Apple-raisin oatmeal cookies
(a Mrs Fields recipe)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 c quick oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 c salted butter
1 large egg
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c honey
1 c fresh apple, peeled and diced fine
1 c raisins

In medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix
well with whisk and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl using electric mixer. Add
egg, applesauce and honey, beat at medium speed until smooth. (I noticed
that it never actually gets smooth no matter how much I beat it)

Add the flour, apples and raisins and blend at low speed just until
combined. Do not overmix. Dough will be quite soft.

Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.

Ms P

tert in seattle 10-05-2007 02:37 AM

why won't they spread?

writes:
>I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
>stay in defiant lumps.
>

>Apple-raisin oatmeal cookies
>(a Mrs Fields recipe)
>
>2 1/2 cups flour
>1 c quick oats
>1/2 tsp salt
>1 tsp baking soda
>1 tsp cinnamon
>1/4 tsp ground cloves
>1 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
>3/4 c salted butter
>1 large egg
>1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
>1/2 c honey
>1 c fresh apple, peeled and diced fine
>1 c raisins
>
>In medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix
>well with whisk and set aside.
>
>Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl using electric mixer. Add
>egg, applesauce and honey, beat at medium speed until smooth. (I noticed
>that it never actually gets smooth no matter how much I beat it)
>
>Add the flour, apples and raisins and blend at low speed just until
>combined. Do not overmix. Dough will be quite soft.
>
>Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.
>Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.

What's the baking temp? You could try reducing it a little.

Adding fat might help.

Or you could gently mash them down after dropping them.

Ms P 10-05-2007 02:50 AM

why won't they spread?

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
>>stay in defiant lumps.
>>

>>Apple-raisin oatmeal cookies
>>(a Mrs Fields recipe)
>>
>>2 1/2 cups flour
>>1 c quick oats
>>1/2 tsp salt
>>1 tsp baking soda
>>1 tsp cinnamon
>>1/4 tsp ground cloves
>>1 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
>>3/4 c salted butter
>>1 large egg
>>1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
>>1/2 c honey
>>1 c fresh apple, peeled and diced fine
>>1 c raisins
>>
>>In medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix
>>well with whisk and set aside.
>>
>>Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl using electric mixer. Add
>>egg, applesauce and honey, beat at medium speed until smooth. (I noticed
>>that it never actually gets smooth no matter how much I beat it)
>>
>>Add the flour, apples and raisins and blend at low speed just until
>>combined. Do not overmix. Dough will be quite soft.
>>
>>Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches
>>apart.
>>Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.

> What's the baking temp? You could try reducing it a little.
>
> Adding fat might help.
>
> Or you could gently mash them down after dropping them.

I knew I'd forget vital info! LOL, the baking temp is only 300. I've
mashed the last two pan fulls. Since they're going to be lumps I think I'll
get the bigger size cookie scoop so they're decent size lumps at least.

Ms P

Ms P 10-05-2007 03:21 AM

why won't they spread?

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 20:14:38 -0500, Ms P wrote:
>
>> I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
>> stay in defiant lumps.

> Add another 1/2cup of fat (butter). Make sure you're not using
> one of those "spreads" (less than 80% fat) instead of butter or
> margarine.
>
> -sw

I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They really
are good cookies even if they don't spread right.

Ms P

Ms P 10-05-2007 04:33 AM

why won't they spread?

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
>>stay in defiant lumps.

> What's the baking temp? You could try reducing it a little.
>
> Adding fat might help.
>
> Or you could gently mash them down after dropping them.

I reduced the temp to about 275 and they're baking for 27 minutes. It
helped a little at least.

Ms P

Becca 10-05-2007 06:53 PM

why won't they spread?

Ms P wrote:

> I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They
> just stay in defiant lumps.
>

> Apple-raisin oatmeal cookies
> (a Mrs Fields recipe)
>
> 2 1/2 cups flour
> 1 c quick oats
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp ground cloves
> 1 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
> 3/4 c salted butter
> 1 large egg
> 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
> 1/2 c honey
> 1 c fresh apple, peeled and diced fine
> 1 c raisins
>
> In medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves.
> Mix well with whisk and set aside.
>
> Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl using electric mixer. Add
> egg, applesauce and honey, beat at medium speed until smooth. (I
> noticed that it never actually gets smooth no matter how much I beat it)
>
> Add the flour, apples and raisins and blend at low speed just until
> combined. Do not overmix. Dough will be quite soft.
>
> Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches
> apart. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
>

> Ms P

Sorry, I am not sure why they do not spread. BTW, a few of my recipes
are similar, but they only bake for about 12 minutes.

Becca

merryb 10-05-2007 06:54 PM

why won't they spread?

On May 9, 7:21 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 9 May 2007 20:14:38 -0500, Ms P wrote:

> >> I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
> >> stay in defiant lumps.

> > Add another 1/2cup of fat (butter). Make sure you're not using
> > one of those "spreads" (less than 80% fat) instead of butter or
> > margarine.

> > -sw

> I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They really
> are good cookies even if they don't spread right.
>
> Ms P

You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
those things before you alter your formula.

Ms P 10-05-2007 08:44 PM

why won't they spread?

"merryb" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 9, 7:21 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:

>> > Add another 1/2cup of fat (butter). Make sure you're not using
>> > one of those "spreads" (less than 80% fat) instead of butter or
>> > margarine.

>> > -sw

>> I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They
>> really
>> are good cookies even if they don't spread right.
>>
>> Ms P

> You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
> with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
> may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
> at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
> smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
> those things before you alter your formula.

I mess with baking recipes all the time. Sometimes they come out better,
sometimes not. It's not the end of the world and my husband will always eat
cookie "failures." LOL

They barely have enough fat in them to keep them from sticking to the cookie
sheets. Another quarter to half cup probably won't make them at all greasy.
I never chill the dough for drop cookies. I make sure everything is at room
temp to start with.

Ms P

tert in seattle 11-05-2007 04:57 AM

why won't they spread?

writes:
>>>I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
>>>stay in defiant lumps.

>> What's the baking temp? You could try reducing it a little.
>>
>> Adding fat might help.
>>
>> Or you could gently mash them down after dropping them.
>>

>I reduced the temp to about 275 and they're baking for 27 minutes. It
>helped a little at least.

excellent

tert in seattle 11-05-2007 05:01 AM

why won't they spread?

writes:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>> I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They
>>> really
>>> are good cookies even if they don't spread right.
>>>
>>> Ms P

>> You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
>> with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
>> may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
>> at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
>> smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
>> those things before you alter your formula.
>>

>I mess with baking recipes all the time. Sometimes they come out better,
>sometimes not. It's not the end of the world and my husband will always eat
>cookie "failures." LOL
>
>They barely have enough fat in them to keep them from sticking to the cookie
>sheets. Another quarter to half cup probably won't make them at all greasy.
>I never chill the dough for drop cookies. I make sure everything is at room
>temp to start with.

I'll second that. In fact I just messed with a muffin recipe --
I added a cup of mashed bananas and they came out great and didn't
need any other adjusting. I arrived at my current awesome chocolate
chip cookie recipe after literally dozens of adjustments. You can't
learn if you're not willing to make (and eat) mistakes!

Ms P 11-05-2007 06:09 AM

why won't they spread?

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>
>>"merryb" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>>> On May 9, 7:21 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
>>> You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
>>> with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
>>> may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
>>> at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
>>> smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
>>> those things before you alter your formula.
>>>

>>I mess with baking recipes all the time. Sometimes they come out better,
>>sometimes not. It's not the end of the world and my husband will always
>>eat
>>cookie "failures." LOL
>>
>>They barely have enough fat in them to keep them from sticking to the
>>cookie
>>sheets. Another quarter to half cup probably won't make them at all
>>greasy.
>>I never chill the dough for drop cookies. I make sure everything is at
>>room
>>temp to start with.

> I'll second that. In fact I just messed with a muffin recipe --
> I added a cup of mashed bananas and they came out great and didn't
> need any other adjusting. I arrived at my current awesome chocolate
> chip cookie recipe after literally dozens of adjustments. You can't
> learn if you're not willing to make (and eat) mistakes!

LOL, even cookie failures are still cookies and they'd have to be *really*
bad before husband wouldn't eat them. I call them "improved" recipes. I
improved a blueberry muffin recipe. My Grandmother handed down an improved
Johnny cake recipe. I improved it a little more and it barely resembles the
original.

I made some notations on the recipe and I'll start improving the cookie
recipe next time. I suspect part of the problem is adding the honey with
the egg and applesauce. It sort of looks curdled after that. I think the
honey coats the butter and keeps it from melting as soon as it should. Next
time I'm going to add the honey at the very end after the flour mixture is
incorporated.

Ms P