Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anything special I should know about a solid-top stove?

Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
didn't know where he put it!
It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.

I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
self-clean cycle? Help!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 8:04 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> didn't know where he put it!
> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>
> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

Hello Karen,

Have you done a web search on the make and model? Oftimes you can
find instruction manuals on the web.

One thing to watch out for; sugary stuff spilt on a hot smoothtop will
make for a permanent mark.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On May 9, 8:04 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

<snip>

>> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
>> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
>> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
>> self-clean cycle? Help!

> Hello Karen,
>
> Have you done a web search on the make and model? Oftimes you can
> find instruction manuals on the web.
>
> One thing to watch out for; sugary stuff spilt on a hot smoothtop will
> make for a permanent mark.

I found the manual for my smooth top range online without much ado. All
I needed was the make and model number, found on the storage drawer frame.

The one thing you need to watch out for is scratching the cooktop,
generally caused by dragging pans and other items across it. Sugary
stuff will scrape off with a blade (get a smooth top or ceramic stovetop
care kit and use it according to directions until you feel at ease
enough purchasing cleaning agents without guidance) and any remnants
with polish or wear off in time. Keep it clean! You will need to become
comfortable wiping up spills with haste, and that means doing it while
the stove top is searingly hot. I have good luck just keeping a damp
paper towel nearby and wiping up QUICKLY to avoid transferring the
stove's heat through the wet material. You should also learn to wipe
under your pots and pans as you are cooking -- lift 'em up and clean
thoroughly both the stovetop and the bottom of the pan when you've had a
spill over or boil over.

Also, unless you like hearing snap, crackle, pop and seeing your pans
rattle and hum, be sure that the bottoms of your pans are dry as a bone
before you set them down on the smooth top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> didn't know where he put it!
> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>
> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

Do you mean smooth top? Like a glass top over the burners?

If so I have one of those and I love it. You clean with a little bit of
Softscrub on a dry paper towel, it's super easy if you do it right
after you cook. You have to wait until the stovetop cools to clean--
there should be a red light that goes on when it is on and off when it
is COOL. Then you use windex and it is perfect.

Also, you can get the model number from it and look up the manual online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> didn't know where he put it!
> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>
> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

Don't drag pans across it--lift them. The top will scratch.
Don't use harsh abrasives to clean it.

The self clean oven heats up VERY hot for ~2 hours or more.
The latch will lock and stay locked until the temperature comes back
down to non-dangerous levels.

Clean it when it gets dirty enough to gross you out. Mine needs it once
or twice a year or if I cook something that leaks badly (rhubarb pie
comes to mind.)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> didn't know where he put it!
> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>
> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

Make sure your pots and pans have a PERFECTLY FLAT BOTTOM, otherwise
they will not heat evenly and the pot/pan WILL "rock and roll" when
heated up. {:-)

If you have cabinet doors ABOVE the oven AND they are less than 8" from
the top of the oven, MAKE SURE THE CABINET DOORS ARE OPEN BEFORE DOING A
CLEANING CYCLE. Many cabinets are laminates and the heat from the oven
during a cleaning cycle will delaminate (or melt the covering/coating )
after about 3 or 4 cleanings (I found this out the hard [and expensive]
way).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 23:04:56 -0400, Ted Campanelli
> wrote:

>Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
>so great) words of knowledge:
>> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
>> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
>> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
>> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
>> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
>> didn't know where he put it!
>> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
>> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
>> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
>> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>>
>> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
>> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
>> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
>> self-clean cycle? Help!

>Make sure your pots and pans have a PERFECTLY FLAT BOTTOM, otherwise
>they will not heat evenly and the pot/pan WILL "rock and roll" when
>heated up. {:-)
>
>If you have cabinet doors ABOVE the oven AND they are less than 8" from
>the top of the oven, MAKE SURE THE CABINET DOORS ARE OPEN BEFORE DOING A
>CLEANING CYCLE. Many cabinets are laminates and the heat from the oven
>during a cleaning cycle will delaminate (or melt the covering/coating )
>after about 3 or 4 cleanings (I found this out the hard [and expensive]
>way).

Is that eight inches or eight feet? (not that I really care... our
kitchen is PATHETIC and since we're renters it's not really my problem
as long as I haven't deliberately damaged anything.) Sounds like I'll
have to get a new frypan though - they always seem to end up warped!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> didn't know where he put it!
> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>
> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

Calm down! :-)

Give us the brand and model # and we can probably google a manual for
you!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
wrote:

> On May 9, 8:04 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> > Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> > take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> > his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> > has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> > feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> > didn't know where he put it!
> > It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> > stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> > isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> > almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
> >
> > I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> > about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> > self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> > self-clean cycle? Help!

> Hello Karen,
>
> Have you done a web search on the make and model? Oftimes you can
> find instruction manuals on the web.
>
> One thing to watch out for; sugary stuff spilt on a hot smoothtop will
> make for a permanent mark.
>
> Best -- Terry

Razor scraper...

Followed by ceramic polish.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Pennyaline > wrote:

> Also, unless you like hearing snap, crackle, pop and seeing your pans
> rattle and hum, be sure that the bottoms of your pans are dry as a bone
> before you set them down on the smooth top.

Agreed. That is one thing I am careful about. I always dry the bottoms
of pots and pans before setting them on the burner spaces.

I always have a towel handy anyway, so it's no big deal.

I LOVE my glass top!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:04:28 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>
> > I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> > about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> > self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> > self-clean cycle? Help!

> If it's completely flat, then there is nothing (no lip) to keep
> things from spilling off the edges. SO if something boils over,
> then it goes right on the floor.
>
> -sw

Yeah.

But it's easier to move the stove out and clean the floor than to try to
clean spaces under/around burners. ;-)

Like that time I blew a pressure cooker safety valve... <sigh>
On the bright side, the kitchen really got thoroughly cleaned, including
the hood and the wall behind the stove!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ted Campanelli > wrote:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
> > Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
> > take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
> > his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
> > has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
> > feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
> > didn't know where he put it!
> > It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
> > stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
> > isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
> > almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
> >
> > I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> > about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
> > self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
> > self-clean cycle? Help!

> Make sure your pots and pans have a PERFECTLY FLAT BOTTOM, otherwise
> they will not heat evenly and the pot/pan WILL "rock and roll" when
> heated up. {:-)
>
> If you have cabinet doors ABOVE the oven AND they are less than 8" from
> the top of the oven, MAKE SURE THE CABINET DOORS ARE OPEN BEFORE DOING A
> CLEANING CYCLE. Many cabinets are laminates and the heat from the oven
> during a cleaning cycle will delaminate (or melt the covering/coating )
> after about 3 or 4 cleanings (I found this out the hard [and expensive]
> way).

Or use easy off oven cleaner and give the "self cleaning" cycle a miss.

I never use it. It burns stains into the oven and stinks up the house
for DAYS!

(A temporary housemate used the damned self-cleaning cycle once when I
asked him to clean the oven. NEVER AGAIN!!!)

:=P
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> Or use easy off oven cleaner and give the "self cleaning" cycle a miss.

Don't do that! You'll ruin the self-cleaning finish and it's not yours
to ruin.

> I never use it. It burns stains into the oven and stinks up the house
> for DAYS!

I can't imagine what's wrong with your oven. I have never had an
experience like that. It does stink the first time when the factory
finish burns off. Never hurts to run it with the windows open.
You need to know if the racks have to come out during the cleaning
cycle, better safe than sorry, remove them.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Razor scraper...
>
> Followed by ceramic polish.

Hey, were' talkin' stove tops, not your bizniz!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> But it's easier to move the stove out and clean the floor than to try to
> clean spaces under/around burners. ;-)

With sealed burners the stove top is as easy and perhaps easier to
clean than a flat top... just pop the porcelainized grates and drip
pans into the dishwasher... the porcelainized stovetop doesn't get hot
so it wipes up with glass cleaner in seconds. And cleaning underneath
my stove is a snap, I just pull the storeage drawer completely out and
I have full access to the floor. Of course all I have to clean
underneath are cat hair dust bunnies and tons of cat toys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 23:04:56 -0400, Ted Campanelli
> > wrote:
>
>>Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
>>so great) words of knowledge:
>>> Our landlord got a bee in his bonnet and decided that he was going to
>>> take away our perfectly functional 'old-fashioned' stove and give us
>>> his old solid-top one instead (he got a new kitchen...) The stove top
>>> has knobs and the oven part is digital, and it has a self-cleaning
>>> feature... the only thing it DOESN'T have is a manual, because he
>>> didn't know where he put it!
>>> It also doesn't have a grillpan (grrr) - I left the old one in the old
>>> stove because I figured that there'd be one with this one, and there
>>> isn't! Oh well, I only used it twice in two whole years... you can do
>>> almost anything you want on a cookie sheet.
>>>
>>> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
>>> about using it? Anything I really need to avoid? How does a
>>> self-cleaning oven work anyway? How often do I need to run the
>>> self-clean cycle? Help!

>>Make sure your pots and pans have a PERFECTLY FLAT BOTTOM, otherwise
>>they will not heat evenly and the pot/pan WILL "rock and roll" when
>>heated up. {:-)
>>
>>If you have cabinet doors ABOVE the oven AND they are less than 8" from
>>the top of the oven, MAKE SURE THE CABINET DOORS ARE OPEN BEFORE DOING A
>>CLEANING CYCLE. Many cabinets are laminates and the heat from the oven
>>during a cleaning cycle will delaminate (or melt the covering/coating )
>>after about 3 or 4 cleanings (I found this out the hard [and expensive]
>>way).

> Is that eight inches or eight feet? (not that I really care... our
> kitchen is PATHETIC and since we're renters it's not really my problem
> as long as I haven't deliberately damaged anything.) Sounds like I'll
> have to get a new frypan though - they always seem to end up warped!

8 inches
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The instructions on mine, say to clean the stove top after it is dry,
except for any drips from sugary syrups; they want you to wipe that up
immediately. They suggest using a sponge to clean the top, and anything
the sponge does not clean up, they want you to use a razor to scrape it
up. No abrasive cleansers, though.

Your oven will get super hot and it takes a few hours for the oven to
cool down. Remove the inside racks before using the self-clean feature.
Good luck!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Your oven will get super hot and it takes a few hours for the oven to
> cool down. Remove the inside racks before using the self-clean feature.
> Good luck!
>
> Becca

Just a note - you don't have to remove the racks, if you don't care
what color they are. If they are gunked up and you want them self-
cleaned, leave them in - it won't hurt them, but it will turn those
nice, shiny chrome ones a dull gray that needs a little oil rubbed
along the sides so they slide nicely.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> Just a note - you don't have to remove the racks, if you don't care
> what color they are. If they are gunked up and you want them self-
> cleaned, leave them in - it won't hurt them, but it will turn those
> nice, shiny chrome ones a dull gray that needs a little oil rubbed
> along the sides so they slide nicely.

I don't know, I made the stupid assumption that the racks would
go through the clean cycle with my previous oven, they became a
little saggy after that. Just a head's up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I don't know, I made the stupid assumption that the racks would
> go through the clean cycle with my previous oven, they became a
> little saggy after that. Just a head's up.
>
> nancy

Something similar happened to me, my oven racks came out bent. After
that, I was afraid to try it again.

Ovens are different, so it is hard to say. Like someone mentioned,
maybe she can find the instructions online.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Razor scraper...
> >
> > Followed by ceramic polish.

> Hey, were' talkin' stove tops, not your bizniz!
>
> Sheldon

<SCHMACK!!!>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 1:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote
>
> > Just a note - you don't have to remove the racks, if you don't care
> > what color they are. If they are gunked up and you want them self-
> > cleaned, leave them in - it won't hurt them, but it will turn those
> > nice, shiny chrome ones a dull gray that needs a little oil rubbed
> > along the sides so they slide nicely.

> I don't know, I made the stupid assumption that the racks would
> go through the clean cycle with my previous oven, they became a
> little saggy after that. Just a head's up.
>
> nancy

I've had a GE and a White/Westinghouse, and neither one had saggy
racks after self-cleaning. Maybe the racks you had weren't hardened
steel.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> On May 10, 1:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I don't know, I made the stupid assumption that the racks would
>> go through the clean cycle with my previous oven, they became a
>> little saggy after that. Just a head's up.

> I've had a GE and a White/Westinghouse, and neither one had saggy
> racks after self-cleaning. Maybe the racks you had weren't hardened
> steel.

My new GE says take the nickel plated racks out, and you can
only leave them in if you have the porcelain coated.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> But it's easier to move the stove out and clean the floor than to try to
>> clean spaces under/around burners. ;-)

> With sealed burners the stove top is as easy and perhaps easier to
> clean than a flat top... just pop the porcelainized grates and drip
> pans into the dishwasher... the porcelainized stovetop doesn't get hot
> so it wipes up with glass cleaner in seconds. And cleaning underneath
> my stove is a snap, I just pull the storeage drawer completely out and
> I have full access to the floor. Of course all I have to clean
> underneath are cat hair dust bunnies and tons of cat toys.

I also have an assortment of cat food under mine.

But back to the point: "Flat top stoves" in terms of smooth top stoves
are not totally flat, as one responder seems to think. They do have a
raised lip around their perimeters to confine spills

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote

> > I never use it. It burns stains into the oven and stinks up the house
> > for DAYS!

> I can't imagine what's wrong with your oven. I have never had an
> experience like that. It does stink the first time when the factory
> finish burns off. Never hurts to run it with the windows open.
> You need to know if the racks have to come out during the cleaning
> cycle, better safe than sorry, remove them.

I understand. The residual from the chemical oven cleaner burns
off when you hit a self clean cycle after having cleaned it with
chemicals.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote

>> > I never use it. It burns stains into the oven and stinks up the house
>> > for DAYS!

>> I can't imagine what's wrong with your oven. I have never had an
>> experience like that. It does stink the first time when the factory
>> finish burns off. Never hurts to run it with the windows open.
>> You need to know if the racks have to come out during the cleaning
>> cycle, better safe than sorry, remove them.

> I understand. The residual from the chemical oven cleaner burns
> off when you hit a self clean cycle after having cleaned it with
> chemicals.

Ah! Capish.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> I've never used a stove like this in my life... what do I need to know
> about using it?

Your pans must have flat bottoms.

>How often do I need to run the
> self-clean cycle? Help!

When it gets so grungy you can't stand it anymore.

You might try looking for a manual online.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2007 15:52:00 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> But it's easier to move the stove out and clean the floor than to try to
>>> clean spaces under/around burners. ;-)

>> With sealed burners the stove top is as easy and perhaps easier to
>> clean than a flat top... just pop the porcelainized grates and drip
>> pans into the dishwasher... the porcelainized stovetop doesn't get hot
>> so it wipes up with glass cleaner in seconds. And cleaning underneath
>> my stove is a snap, I just pull the storeage drawer completely out and
>> I have full access to the floor. Of course all I have to clean
>> underneath are cat hair dust bunnies and tons of cat toys.

>I also have an assortment of cat food under mine.
>
>But back to the point: "Flat top stoves" in terms of smooth top stoves
>are not totally flat, as one responder seems to think. They do have a
>raised lip around their perimeters to confine spills

This one has a minute lip on it... I know I'm going to have to be
careful because it's definitely NOT high enough to contain a saucepan
boil-over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 7:10�pm, wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote
> > > I never use it. It burns stains into the oven and stinks up the house
> > > for DAYS!

> > I can't imagine what's wrong with your oven. *I have never had an
> > experience like that. *It does stink the first time when the factory
> > finish burns off. *Never hurts to run it with the windows open.
> > You need to know if the racks have to come out during the cleaning
> > cycle, better safe than sorry, remove them.

> The residual from the chemical oven cleaner burns
> off when you hit a self clean cycle after having cleaned it with
> chemicals.

What a moron... read your manual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 15:52:00 -0600, Pennyaline
> > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> With sealed burners the stove top is as easy and perhaps easier to
> >> clean than a flat top... just pop the porcelainized grates and drip
> >> pans into the dishwasher... the porcelainized stovetop doesn't get hot
> >> so it wipes up with glass cleaner in seconds. And cleaning underneath
> >> my stove is a snap, I just pull the storeage drawer completely out and
> >> I have full access to the floor. Of course all I have to clean
> >> underneath are cat hair dust bunnies and tons of cat toys.

> >I also have an assortment of cat food under mine.
> >
> >But back to the point: "Flat top stoves" in terms of smooth top stoves
> >are not totally flat, as one responder seems to think. They do have a
> >raised lip around their perimeters to confine spills

> This one has a minute lip on it... I know I'm going to have to be
> careful because it's definitely NOT high enough to contain a saucepan
> boil-over.

Or a blown PC valve. ;-)

Moving the stove is not really that big of a deal if you have electric,
and it does not hurt to mop under it periodically anyway.

And it "rescues" cat toys.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

What makes a tamale solid? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 21 08-07-2014 03:34 AM
Solid Group Zenexk Baking 1 22-06-2009 08:39 PM
Solid block black tea EmmyBlue Tea 13 11-04-2009 10:15 AM
does fruit make a solid diet? Bernard Arnest General Cooking 9 19-09-2005 04:13 AM
Changing from an electric stove to a gas stove sue General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 10:26 PM