Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Out of the Mouths of Babes, Quinn-style

My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)

His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 02:31:42 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
>Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
>meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
>His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
>He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
>beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.

I've never been to Outback.... can you post the recipe?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote

> My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
> Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
> meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
> His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
> He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're beginning
> to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.

(laugh!) It's SURPRISINGLY good! That's a riot, 5 years old.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 9:31 pm, Puester > wrote:
> My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
> Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
> meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
> His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
> He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
> beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

I would love to have the recipe too. I love to make bread and am
always looking for new recipes....Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
> Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
> meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
> His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
> He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
> beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

ROTFL!!! Go, Quinn!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
> Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
> meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
> His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
> He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
> beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

I've got two greatgranddaughters who think "Granpa" is a wizard because
I cook good food and lots of it when they come to visit. turns out my
granddaughter-in-law doesn't cook anything but cold cereal and they
think Mickey Dee's is haute cuisine. I don't know whether I'm pleased or
****ed but I'll take any compliments those two babes hand out. they
particularly like my home made bread, sweet or not. These two are Zoe
and Avery, both going on 30 years of age according to their vocabulary.
<VBG>

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> My five year old grandson mentioned Friday that "We should go to Outback
> Steakhouse someday soon because I love their 'chocolate' bread." (He
> meant the "honey-wheat bushman bread" they serve warm.)
>
> His mother has the copycat recipe for the bread so they made some today.
> He tasted it and his response: "It's SURPRISINGLY good!" We're
> beginning to refer to him as the Galloping Gourmand.

LOL. Love his "vocab"
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outback Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (was Out of the Mouths )

sf wrote:

> I've never been to Outback.... can you post the recipe?

Outback Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (from Copycat Recipes)

Dough:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
2 cups bread flour
1 2/3 cups wheat flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 pkg.) yeast

Coloring (optional, see * below)
1/4 cup water
75 drops red food coloring
45 drops blue food coloring
30 drops yellow food coloring
cornmeal for dusting

If using a bread machine, add all of the ingredients for the dough in
the exact order listed into the pan of your machine. Set it on "knead"
and when the machine begins to mix the dough, combine the food coloring
with 1/4 cup of water and drizzle it into the mixture as it combines.
After the dough is created let it rest to rise for an hour or so. Then
remove it from the pan.

If you are not using a bread machine, combine the flours, cocoa,
sugar, coffee and salt in large bowl. Make a depression or "well" in the
middle of the dry mixture. Pour the warm water into this "well," then
add the butter, honey and yeast. Combine the food coloring drops with
1/4 cup of water and add that to the "well." Slowly mix the ingredients
with a spoon, drawing the dry ingredients into the wet. When you can
handle the dough, begin to combine it by hand, kneading the dough
thoroughly for at least ten minutes, until it is very smooth and has a
consistent color. Set the dough into a covered bowl in a warm place for
an hour, to allow it to rise.

When the dough has risen to about double in size, punch it down and
divide it into 8 even portions (divide dough in half, divide those
halves in half, and then once more). Form the portions into tubular
shaped loaves about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Sprinkle the entire
surface of the loaves with cornmeal and place them on a cookie sheet, or
two. Cover the cookie sheet(s) with plastic wrap and let the dough rise
once more for another hour in a warm location.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the dough and bake it for
20-24 minutes in the hot oven. Loaves should begin to darken slightly on
top when done. Serve warm with a sharp bread knife and butter on the
side. If you want whipped butter, like you get at the restaurant, just
use an electric mixer on high speed to whip some butter until it's fluffy.

Makes 8 small loaves.

It is normal for this dough to be a bit tacky and to seem somewhat thin.
Just be sure to add plenty of flour to your hands and work surface when
working with the dough to prevent sticking.

*If you are able to find caramel color (It's available from the King
Arthur Flour catalog), you can use that rather than the food coloring
formula described in the recipe. Just measure 1 tablespoon of caramel
color into the dough mixture where the recipe uses food coloring and water.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:30:00 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>>

>> I've never been to Outback.... can you post the recipe?
>>

>Outback Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (from Copycat Recipes)

<snip recipe>

Thanks, Gloria!

--
See return address to reply by email